H_T_L

2018-19 If I were GM

819 posts in this topic

6 minutes ago, habsisme said:

yeah I don't think so either, and while I'd love to have Marner, 4 first round picks would be a pretty steep price to pay. Given the Leafs cap situation, they may not match and just take the picks 

Yeah and if we were a lock to be contenders for the next 4 years then I still may do it but given that we are not I would probably pass

Just now, campabee82 said:

Yeah and if we were a lock to be contenders for the next 4 years then I still may do it but given that we are not I would probably pass

in this league you can be a contender one year and a nobody the next. The only player I'd consider giving 4 1st round picks for is McDavid, and even then I'm not sure its worth it. Maybe an expansion team who has stockpile a bunch of picks, but you can't win in the salary cap era without entry level contracts in your top 6 and top 4, you just can't. So you need those first rounders.

19 minutes ago, habsisme said:

yeah I don't think so either, and while I'd love to have Marner, 4 first round picks would be a pretty steep price to pay. Given the Leafs cap situation, they may not match and just take the picks 

The Leafs would match an offer in a heartbeat unless the offer was totally ridiculous. 

22 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

The Leafs would match an offer in a heartbeat unless the offer was totally ridiculous. 

4 first round picks and no more cap issues? I wouldn't be so sure about that. 4 first round picks is pretty damn valuable even for a team that is winning now

Another option I have been reading about is sending Shaw and Benn to the Oilers for Puljarvi or whatever his name is.   A huge bust in Edmonton but a possible steal as the kid has the talent.

What ever Edmonton does should really interest us as they have a couple of over paid D men that would look good on our roster if we could sign them for a reasonable amount of cash

4 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Another option I have been reading about is sending Shaw and Benn to the Oilers for Puljarvi or whatever his name is.   A huge bust in Edmonton but a possible steal as the kid has the talent.

What ever Edmonton does should really interest us as they have a couple of over paid D men that would look good on our roster if we could sign them for a reasonable amount of cash

Benn is UFA so i doubt his rights are worth anything.  You have to think Shaw is worth more than Puljujarvi right now.   Shaw is 27 (so still youngish) and coming off a .75ppg season.  Thats 60+ points over an 82 game schedule.   Puljujarvi may turn it around, yes, but at 21 years old it is a risk.  He's a career .26PPG scorere and lacks much of a defensive game so that is worrisome.

Id be fine bringing him in as part of a package that included Nurse or Klefbom  but i certainly wouldnt give up much value to get him 1 for 1. The risk iust too great that he's another Yakupov. 

3 hours ago, habsisme said:

4 first round picks and no more cap issues? I wouldn't be so sure about that. 4 first round picks is pretty damn valuable even for a team that is winning now

I doubt he makes it to July 1st. He'll be resigned and I too believe they would match if it goes beyond that date. Four 1st round mid picks just wouldn't cut it for a Marner. The Leafs will find the room even if it means other sacrifices in the lineup. The biggest issue they have is what to do with the last year of Marleau's deal. If they can shed that contract without retaining a big chunk,, they'll be OK. 

6 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I doubt he makes it to July 1st. He'll be resigned and I too believe they would match if it goes beyond that date. Four 1st round mid picks just wouldn't cut it for a Marner. The Leafs will find the room even if it means other sacrifices in the lineup. The biggest issue they have is what to do with the last year of Marleau's deal. If they can shed that contract without retaining a big chunk,, they'll be OK. 

Agreed. Although I think four 1st is probably fair for Marner, I dont think it makes any sense for the Leafs, who are in a win-now mode.

Knew that Marleau deal was going to be a mess.   I wonder if Babcock will be gone too - it sounds like he and management are having major conflicts on personnel choices... 

Just now, maas_art said:

Agreed. Although I think four 1st is probably fair for Marner, I dont think it makes any sense for the Leafs, who are in a win-now mode.

Knew that Marleau deal was going to be a mess.   I wonder if Babcock will be gone too - it sounds like he and management are having major conflicts on personnel choices... 

If I had Marner I wouldn't be happy with the four 1st's from a team likely in the middle of the pack and possibly much higher with him in the lineup. I consider him a generational talent and you just don't expose those types of players. 

I'm hearing some rumours about Marleau being the targeted dump (back to Jose to finish his career) but it will require another roster player to get it done. Dubas just gave his vote of confidence to Babcock,,,, so he's probably toast.:lol:

54 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

If I had Marner I wouldn't be happy with the four 1st's from a team likely in the middle of the pack and possibly much higher with him in the lineup. I consider him a generational talent and you just don't expose those types of players. 

I'm hearing some rumours about Marleau being the targeted dump (back to Jose to finish his career) but it will require another roster player to get it done. Dubas just gave his vote of confidence to Babcock,,,, so he's probably toast.:lol:

I think he will be signed before July 1st too, my point is that I'm not willing to give up 4 first round picks for him or just about anyone 

Marleau can be moved easily, but he has to agree to it and likely won't. After the signing bonus on July 1st, he is scheduled to earn 1.25 million. He can be moved quite easily if he allows it

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

I think the easiest guy to move is Nylander. If you move him after July 1st, the team will only be paying him 700k. and then 6mil/year for the remainder (less than his actual cap hit). For a team with no money that a savings of about 10 million over the span of the contract (6 million in the first year). Worth the risk that he will regain his form for a lot of teams. (Crazy, he made over 20 million dollars in about 7 months). 

With Marleau I don;t think he would leave unless it was san jose and I don't think they can handle his cap hit. He's a better fit for a team well below the cap who wants to cheaply add a good player to reach the floor. San Jose has a lot of free agents ro re-sign, if some don't work out THEN I can see a trade happening. 

Edited by habsisme

20 hours ago, habsisme said:

I think the easiest guy to move is Nylander. If you move him after July 1st, the team will only be paying him 700k. and then 6mil/year for the remainder (less than his actual cap hit). For a team with no money that a savings of about 10 million over the span of the contract (6 million in the first year). Worth the risk that he will regain his form for a lot of teams. (Crazy, he made over 20 million dollars in about 7 months). 

With Marleau I don;t think he would leave unless it was san jose and I don't think they can handle his cap hit. He's a better fit for a team well below the cap who wants to cheaply add a good player to reach the floor. San Jose has a lot of free agents ro re-sign, if some don't work out THEN I can see a trade happening. 

Marleau may go to the Islanders.  He was a Lou signing.  Maybe he'd like a shot at a cup with Coach Trotz.  They looked like a contender this year and they have the cap space to take on PM's contract.

Just now, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Marleau may go to the Islanders.  He was a Lou signing.  Maybe he'd like a shot at a cup with Coach Trotz.  They looked like a contender this year and they have the cap space to take on PM's contract.

yeah I could actually see that, its possible

3 hours ago, habsisme said:

yeah I could actually see that, its possible

It's possible, but something else has to come in the package, cause I can't see Lou doing the Leafs any favours. He's clearly not worth that kind of money at his age.

10 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

It's possible, but something else has to come in the package, cause I can't see Lou doing the Leafs any favours. He's clearly not worth that kind of money at his age.

But if they have cap room for the season he's not actually getting paid that much money. So if they are able to sign everyone and whiff on UFAs, could be a good add for a team. The bigger problem is always is he willing to go

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

But if they have cap room for the season he's not actually getting paid that much money. So if they are able to sign everyone and whiff on UFAs, could be a good add for a team. The bigger problem is always is he willing to go

I understand it makes sense money wise for the Islanders but do you think Lou is going to bail out the Leafs without getting some additional compensation? I think he's smarter then that and will squeeze something else out of them to take on that Cap hit as would any other decent GM,

2 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I understand it makes sense money wise for the Islanders but do you think Lou is going to bail out the Leafs without getting some additional compensation? I think he's smarter then that and will squeeze something else out of them to take on that Cap hit as would any other decent GM,

I don't see Lou wanting Marleau at all. Why would he? He doesn't need him.

5 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I don't see Lou wanting Marleau at all. Why would he? He doesn't need him.

I don't see it either. The reasoning was that his salary will only be 1.5 million and the NYI have the Cap room to absorb the 6 mill for one year. I guess he feels he would be good value for cheap. Like you,,,, i'm not sure his declining skill set fits for them.  Regardless,,,, I wouldn't do it. We have tons of Cap room too, but unless we aren't planning on spending to the max, the only reason to take him on would be for an added asset that the Leafs would have to give up to get  out of Cap hell.

10 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I don't see it either. The reasoning was that his salary will only be 1.5 million and the NYI have the Cap room to absorb the 6 mill for one year. I guess he feels he would be good value for cheap. Like you,,,, i'm not sure his declining skill set fits for them.  Regardless,,,, I wouldn't do it. We have tons of Cap room too, but unless we aren't planning on spending to the max, the only reason to take him on would be for an added asset that the Leafs would have to give up to get  out of Cap hell.

I just looked on Capfriendly, and to buy Patrick Marleau out of his final year is an actual cost of only $833 K to the Leafs.  Perhaps that's the route they go.

13 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I just looked on Capfriendly, and to buy Patrick Marleau out of his final year is an actual cost of only $833 K to the Leafs.  Perhaps that's the route they go.

Buying out Marleau's contract has no impact on the cap hit to Toronto for next season because it's a 35+ contract. 

Noticed today that the Blue Jackets not only have to worry about players leaving to FA, which seems likely given that they have not resigned by now but also the Jackets only have 2 draft picks this year. Was thinking we could really take advantage of this by sending Shaw or Hudon + a 2nd (Columbus's own originally) and maybe the Hawks 5th to them for Werenski thoughts? Maybe they would be desperate enough to do something like that

1 minute ago, campabee82 said:

Noticed today that the Blue Jackets not only have to worry about players leaving to FA, which seems likely given that they have not resigned by now but also the Jackets only have 2 draft picks this year. Was thinking we could really take advantage of this by sending Shaw or Hudon + a 2nd (Columbus's own originally) and maybe the Hawks 5th to them for Werenski thoughts? Maybe they would be desperate enough to do something like that

Its a big mess in Columbus for sure.  I really dont know what they are going to do (or if they even have a plan).  I think there's an opportunity there but Im not sure MB will capitalize on it. 

7 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I think other teams would be ready to match that offer if Werenski were indeed available. Pretty sure he's got a ton of value and Columbus isn't going to give him away for a couple of low-percentage picks and a player like Shaw, who was great for us this season but also has a history of concussions. My gut feeling is they wouldn't even trade Werenski for Drouin plus our first-rounder but hey, you never know.

3 hours ago, ChiLla said:

I think other teams would be ready to match that offer if Werenski were indeed available. Pretty sure he's got a ton of value and Columbus isn't going to give him away for a couple of low-percentage picks and a player like Shaw, who was great for us this season but also has a history of concussions. My gut feeling is they wouldn't even trade Werenski for Drouin plus our first-rounder but hey, you never know.

I would offer them 15 OVA for werenski and the CBJ 2nd

5 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I would offer them 15 OVA for werenski and the CBJ 2nd

Me too, not sure that's enough for Jarmo though ;)