H_T_L

2018-19 If I were GM

819 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, maas_art said:

highly doubtful.  Ekholm is their Petry: used less because he's behind their #1 but fully capable of top pairing minutes. They *might* consider something like one of our top prospects (Poehling) + a young defensman (Juulsen or Fleury) but I dont think thats the right move considering his age & where we are in our window to compete.

The other thing to remember is that the only reason we're hearing trade rumours out of Nashville is that they are purportedly wanting to land a top UFA forward this summer.  That means they need to shed salary.   At less than $4m per season (signed for several more years) Ekholm is one of the best values for a top 3 dmen out there.   Subban's name comes up (rightly or wrongly) because he makes exactly the same money (Cap hit) as Josi + Ekholm + Hamhuis  combined. 

This makes me think of the plan to get back Django's wife from the evil Calvin Candie in Django unchained. 

Fansided has a report that Nashville has been inquiring about what it would take to land McDavid as he is reportedly unhappy in Edmonton don't know how true it is but would be a huge move

3 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Fansided has a report that Nashville has been inquiring about what it would take to land McDavid as he is reportedly unhappy in Edmonton don't know how true it is but would be a huge move

You'd have to think, based purely on some of McDavid's soundbytes, that many GMs have enquired.  He seems really unhappy.  Having said that, I dont *think* edmonton will move him - especially now that they have new management - but you never know, if the price was right...

It would have to be a monster deal though. Multiple quality pieces that helped fill several problem areas on the Oil.  I cant see how the other team could do that & still be competitive, even adding a premiere talent like McDavid to their roster. You'd basically have to gut your team offering your #1C, one of your top 2 dmen and at least one or two other high end pieces on wing or defense. 

There's an almost zero chance McDavid gets traded.   He himself knows that if the Oilers did trade him, he'd wind up on a gutted team thats just as bad as the Oilers were.    The Oilers are in pretty dire shape due to Chia's stupidity, but they're on the bubble really and 1-2 key moves and they'll be a playoff team.   

9 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

There's an almost zero chance McDavid gets traded.   He himself knows that if the Oilers did trade him, he'd wind up on a gutted team thats just as bad as the Oilers were.    The Oilers are in pretty dire shape due to Chia's stupidity, but they're on the bubble really and 1-2 key moves and they'll be a playoff team.   

yes i dont see him being traded. Think about what it would cost montreal to get him. I would say it would Poehling, Suzuki, and Primeau (or 2 of the 3 at least), our first round pick, Domi, Byron, and Petry or Weber. For Mcdavid and maybe Klefbom. I'm not even sure its enough, but I'm not willing to lose all that for one player. 

Interestingly, because Montreal seems to have so much depth, especially on offence, we would probably be one of their better trading partners but I just don't see it happening

Posted (edited)

55 minutes ago, maas_art said:

You'd have to think, based purely on some of McDavid's soundbytes, that many GMs have enquired.  He seems really unhappy.  Having said that, I dont *think* edmonton will move him - especially now that they have new management - but you never know, if the price was right...

It would have to be a monster deal though. Multiple quality pieces that helped fill several problem areas on the Oil.  I cant see how the other team could do that & still be competitive, even adding a premiere talent like McDavid to their roster. You'd basically have to gut your team offering your #1C, one of your top 2 dmen and at least one or two other high end pieces on wing or defense. 

I agree it would take a monster deal, only way I see getting around the number of players it would require is by say doing 1 top current roster player + 1 Blue Chip Prospect + 2 first round picks + 1 second round pick + cash so say Weber + Peohling + 19 and 20 first rounder and 19 second rounder + say something in the ballpark of 10-20 mil. Again I would be hard pressed to give up that much but it is McDavid in his prime and only way I see Edmonton moving him is if he simply refuses to play and demands a trade. Stranger things have happened I guess but still not convinced this is going to be one of them as I really don't see the Oilers trading him to a western team if they did intend on trading him. here is a link to the story for anyone who wants to read it.

https://predlines.com/2019/05/15/nashville-predators-price-connor-mcdavid/

Edited by campabee82

47 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I agree it would take a monster deal, only way I see getting around the number of players it would require is by say doing 1 top current roster player + 1 Blue Chip Prospect + 2 first round picks + 1 second round pick + cash so say Weber + Peohling + 19 and 20 first rounder and 19 second rounder + say something in the ballpark of 10-20 mil. Again I would be hard pressed to give up that much but it is McDavid in his prime and only way I see Edmonton moving him is if he simply refuses to play and demands a trade. Stranger things have happened I guess but still not convinced this is going to be one of them as I really don't see the Oilers trading him to a western team if they did intend on trading him. here is a link to the story for anyone who wants to read it.

https://predlines.com/2019/05/15/nashville-predators-price-connor-mcdavid/

I don't think you can trade cash anymore

We should offer sheet Kaperi Kapanen or Andreas Johnson from Toronto 

keep it under 4.2 and if they sign all we give up is a 2nd rounder.

Sign AHO to an offer sheet or however that process works.

Posted (edited)

8 minutes ago, habby67 said:

The Canes are likely to match any offersheet ... Aho was a PPG pace coming off his ELC, he's likely getting 7-8m, but could get 9-10.    

$1,395,053 or below: None

$1,395,054-$2,113,716: 3rd

$2,113,717-$4,227,437: 2nd

$4,227,438-$6,341,152: 1st, 3rd

$6,341,153-$8,454,871: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

$8,454,872-$10,568,589:
2 1sts , 2nd, 3rd

Over
$10,568,590+: 4 1sts

So you're losing a 1st, 2nd and 3rd forfor sure ... possibly two 1sts.    And most likely unless you go insane and offer him 11m, Canes match the offer.   And if they don't, you're paying him 11m ... probably over market value and gave up four 1st round picks to do it.

Kapanen and Johnson are interesting cases ... Toronto is in cap hell and if they want to retain Marner they likely can't afford both Kapanen and Johnson.   Offer one of them 4.2m and if we manage to sign them we only lose a 2nd.   I'd prefer Kapanen as he fits our whole Finland in North America motif

Edited by HabsAlways

5 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

The Canes are likely to match any offersheet ... Aho was a PPG pace coming off his ELC, he's likely getting 7-8m, but could get 9-10.    

$1,395,053 or below: None

$1,395,054-$2,113,716: 3rd

$2,113,717-$4,227,437: 2nd

$4,227,438-$6,341,152: 1st, 3rd

$6,341,153-$8,454,871: 1st, 2nd, 3rd

$8,454,872-$10,568,589:
2 1sts , 2nd, 3rd

Over
$10,568,590+: 4 1sts

So you're losing a 1st, 2nd and 3rd forfor sure ... possibly two 1sts.    And most likely unless you go insane and offer him 11m, Canes match the offer.   And if they don't, you're paying him 11m ... probably over market value and gave up four 1st round picks to do it.

Kapanen and Johnson are interesting cases ... Toronto is in cap hell and if they want to retain Marner they likely can't afford both Kapanen and Johnson.   Offer one of them 4.2m and if we manage to sign them we only lose a 2nd.   I'd prefer Kapanen as he fits our whole Finland in North America motif

yeah i could see something like this. Its not exactly what we need so I wouldn't super excited about, but adding a good player for a second is not bad at all. 

I really do think that Nylander will be traded on July 2 (after his bonus is paid) and that this will allow the leafs to keep the rest of their team intact (minus Gardiner)

Oh and more on Aho ... given our depth at C now (Domi, Kotkaniemi, Poehling, Danault) .... if we do offer sheet a star and are willing to give up a ton of picks, might I suggest Patrick Laine?

Posted (edited)

16 minutes ago, habby67 said:

If you were to sign Aho to an offer sheet you would be losing four 1st round draft choices. Remember, even if the value of the contract is spread out over seven seasons, the calculation for determining compensation to the other team is the total value of the contract divided by a maximum of only five years, I believe. Maybe it's four years... probably it's five years.

Edited by jennifer_rocket

Patrick Laine between 18-20  only three players in NHL history have scored more than Laine’s 110 goals: Jimmy Carson, Dale Hawerchuk, and Steven Stamkos.

Only Stamkos is comparable due to era, and coming off his ELC he garned 11.66% of the cap at the time ... in today's dollars would equate to 9.56m .    Leaving the jets about 6m to sign Kyle Connor and his multiple 30 goal seasons.     It would also make Laine the highest paid player on the Jets ahead of Wheeler.   Laine is probably a generational goal scored, but he's a defensive liability so the Jets may be reluctant to pay him more than 7-8m ... so we offer sheet him at 10 or 11m and let them sweat. 

2 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

If you were to sign Aho to an offer sheet you would be losing four 1st round draft choices. Remember, even if the value of the contract is spread out over seven seasons, the calculation for determining compensation to the other team is the total value of the contract divided by a maximum of only five years, I believe. Maybe it's four years... probably it's five years.

its 5 years. It's pointless to make an offer sheet longer than 5 years

1 minute ago, HabsAlways said:

Patrick Laine between 18-20  only three players in NHL history have scored more than Laine’s 110 goals: Jimmy Carson, Dale Hawerchuk, and Steven Stamkos.

Only Stamkos is comparable due to era, and coming off his ELC he garned 11.66% of the cap at the time ... in today's dollars would equate to 9.56m .    Leaving the jets about 6m to sign Kyle Connor and his multiple 30 goal seasons.     It would also make Laine the highest paid player on the Jets ahead of Wheeler.   Laine is probably a generational goal scored, but he's a defensive liability so the Jets may be reluctant to pay him more than 7-8m ... so we offer sheet him at 10 or 11m and let them sweat. 

I'd love him here, but do you really want to give up 4 1st rounders? Its just too steep a price for me

4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

• An offer sheet consists of 7 compensation tiers.
  • Compensation to the receiving club is made up entirely of draft picks.
  • The draft picks must available in the nearest entry draft, unless the compensation requires two or more draft picks in the same round: an extra year can be used to for compensation for these picks (if two 1st round picks are required, the club must have two 1st round picks available in the next three drafts)
  • Compensation is determined by the annual average (AAV) outlined in the offer made by submitting club.
  • The AAV for an offer sheet, which determines the compensation required, is derived by dividing the total contract value amount by the lesser of:
    • number of years offered, or
    • five (5) years
  • The AAV thresholds are readjusted each season, and is based on the average league salary for that season.
  • An offer sheet cannot be greater than 7 years in length.
  • See the Offer Sheet FAQ for additional information.

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, habsisme said:

its 5 years. It's pointless to make an offer sheet longer than 5 years

I'd love him here, but do you really want to give up 4 1st rounders? Its just too steep a price for me

Given our current prospect pool ... if this put us into a position of picking in the bottom half of the draft for the next 5-10 years I'd be fine with it.

And yeah 5 years ... so you offer him say 77m over 7 years ... that's 11m a season and regardless is 4 first rounders, and probably puts him out of the Jets price range

Edited by HabsAlways

Posted (edited)

Thanks HabsAlways and Habsisme. I thought it was five! :D As a PPG player, Aho is about to get paid. I can't imagine us being able to sign him to an offer sheet without the AAV (as determined by offer sheet rules) being in the top-tier compensation range. And I'm not surrendering four 1st rounders for Aho. No way.

Edited by jennifer_rocket

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Thanks HabsAlways and Habsisme. I thought it was five! :D As a PPG player, Aho is about to get paid. I can't imagine us being able to sign him to an offer sheet without the AAV (as determined by offer sheet rules) being in the top-tier compensation range. And I'm not surrendering four 1st rounders for Aho. No way.

Would you for Patrick Laine? 

Imagine  Lehknonen - Kotkaniemi - Laine

Would you for Patrick Laine? 

Imagine  Lehknonen - Kotkaniemi - Laine

Nope! Dude had 50 points in 82 games this season. Mitch Marner might be someone I would CONSIDER, but... I'm still doubtful I would do it.

3 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Nope! Dude had 50 points in 82 games this season. Mitch Marner might be someone I would CONSIDER, but... I'm still doubtful I would do it.

Sure ... but again, he's one of only 4 players to ever score 110 goals before the age of 20.    Two did it in the 80s and most recently it was Stamkos.   I think Laine is set to have a break out year and be a perennial 40-50 goal guy.

Sure ... but again, he's one of only 4 players to ever score 110 goals before the age of 20.    Two did it in the 80s and most recently it was Stamkos.   I think Laine is set to have a break out year and be a perennial 40-50 goal guy.

That is quite impressive... Hmm, hmm, hmm. :mellow: I'd still say "no" but he's certainly a very compelling player. Four 1st rounders is just such a heavy price to pay for any individual player.

2 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Yeah I dont think they would either. I think anybody can be traded, but the likelihood you trade a guy who is basically top 3 (and in many cases top 1) on anybody's list is pretty near nil. 

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

yes i dont see him being traded. Think about what it would cost montreal to get him. I would say it would Poehling, Suzuki, and Primeau (or 2 of the 3 at least), our first round pick, Domi, Byron, and Petry or Weber. For Mcdavid and maybe Klefbom. I'm not even sure its enough, but I'm not willing to lose all that for one player. 

Interestingly, because Montreal seems to have so much depth, especially on offence, we would probably be one of their better trading partners but I just don't see it happening

Yeah i think we could make an offer they couldnt refuse but it would gut the team.    The type of deal I could see- maybe working - although Ken Holland is generally pretty methodical so probably not - would be if a team like Pittsburgh decided "ok, we're going into rebuild mode. We want to build around McDavid"  and they offered Crosby, Malkin & Letang + a couple of good prospects or picks for McDavid and Lucy.    It would be dumb for both teams but thats the sort of move - you get a bucketload of established players to make the Oilers competitive (mind you not good enough to win) right now but the team getting McDavid is on the long road to rebuild. 

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

I agree it would take a monster deal, only way I see getting around the number of players it would require is by say doing 1 top current roster player + 1 Blue Chip Prospect + 2 first round picks + 1 second round pick + cash so say Weber + Peohling + 19 and 20 first rounder and 19 second rounder + say something in the ballpark of 10-20 mil.

The problem with an offer like this though is that Poehling is the future and Weber is the past.  If you're trading with a team like Edmonton they likely want one or the other.   They probably actually want established (youngish) players who can compete now (and probably into the future).  I think they'd be looking for something more like  Domi + Mete + Suzuki (or Poehling) + one other roster player (maybe Drouin)  & probably picks.

You cant trade cash. 

58 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I don't think you can trade cash anymore

True. The only thing that sort of is like that nowaways is if you pay the signing bonus for the other team depending upon the timing of the trade. 

8 hours ago, campabee82 said:

A team like Nashville has strengh at dee, Roman Jossi, Ryan Johansen,  Eeli Tolvanen  for Conner MCdavid. Nashville still has a top 3 dee group in Subban, Ellis and Eckholm and Dante Fabbro in the works..Edmonton gets an elite deeman in Jossi, a good centerman with size who can slot in behind Draistal and an up and coming young player. It could help both teams.

8 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

I'm not too sure about that. Isn't the Canes owner a tightwad? 

8 hours ago, maas_art said:

The problem with an offer like this though is that Poehling is the future and Weber is the past.  If you're trading with a team like Edmonton they likely want one or the other.   They probably actually want established (youngish) players who can compete now (and probably into the future).  I think they'd be looking for something more like  Domi + Mete + Suzuki (or Poehling) + one other roster player (maybe Drouin)  & probably picks.

I don't see the Oilers asking for Mete or any other LHD as they already have Klefblom, Nurse and Sekera to fill out the left side it's the right that is actually hurting them that being said I still think it is a way out there article but if it were true you would have to at least ask what they were looking for if it is depth forwards and a RHD we have what it would take why not take a shot at it the worst that happens is they say no the best may be we give up 2 depth forwards and a RHD and a few picks to be serious contenders IMO worth the shot