H_T_L

2018-19 If I were GM

318 posts in this topic

I believe that we'll end up using Alzner during injuries though out the season and hopefully at the trade deadline some team will want to have defense depth (as they usually do) and we can trade him for a 2nd round pick maybe and hold say 25% of the contract. I imagine after Christmas going into the second half of the season when teams see where they are and injuries ect if there is going to be any interest it would happen then.

19 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I believe that we'll end up using Alzner during injuries though out the season and hopefully at the trade deadline some team will want to have defense depth (as they usually do) and we can trade him for a 2nd round pick maybe and hold say 25% of the contract. I imagine after Christmas going into the second half of the season when teams see where they are and injuries ect if there is going to be any interest it would happen then.

That's certainly possible. I could live with retaining 25% of his salary if it meant being able to trade him.

With the kings doing so badly thus far there is speculation that they are getting ready to make some moves soon if things don't turn around. Just wondering what everyone thinks the going rate for guys like Muzzin and Kempe are and if we could afford them

53 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

With the kings doing so badly thus far there is speculation that they are getting ready to make some moves soon if things don't turn around. Just wondering what everyone thinks the going rate for guys like Muzzin and Kempe are and if we could afford them

I know we've had an exciting start but I don't think we wanna do that. We still have a sub par goalie making 10.5 million a year. Unless he starts playing better than we are not in a good situation

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

I know we've had an exciting start but I don't think we wanna do that. We still have a sub par goalie making 10.5 million a year. Unless he starts playing better than we are not in a good situation

Price is NOT sub-par sure he makes like maybe 1-2 mil more a year than he should but that is on MB for agreeing to that. Yes the last game he tried to stop someone from carrying the puck around the net for what he anticipated would be a wrap around and was caught by surprise when he shot it and it bounced in but that's how the game works. You wouldn't say a Erik Karlson is sub-par cause a puck bounces in off of his skate. Same situation and certainly Gretzky was not sub-par when he shot the puck past his own goalie during the 93 playoffs. Tough plays happen bad years happen and so far this year IMO Price is proving last year was just a bad year coupled with a really really bad defense.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Price is NOT sub-par sure he makes like maybe 1-2 mil more a year than he should but that is on MB for agreeing to that. Yes the last game he tried to stop someone from carrying the puck around the net for what he anticipated would be a wrap around and was caught by surprise when he shot it and it bounced in but that's how the game works. You wouldn't say a Erik Karlson is sub-par cause a puck bounces in off of his skate. Same situation and certainly Gretzky was not sub-par when he shot the puck past his own goalie during the 93 playoffs. Tough plays happen bad years happen and so far this year IMO Price is proving last year was just a bad year coupled with a really really bad defense.

I love Price but maybe not sub par but definitely not elite at this point. Like another poster said , a 3-1 lead say 2-3 years ago would of probably stood up. He is playing better than last year, but last year he was sub par and a soft goal occasionally is acceptable. The problem is he is still letting in to many soft goals. To many games the other goalie is out playing him which shouldn't be the case. I hope he continues to improve and get closer to what we expect of him. He should be able to keep you in the games not let the games get away from you. That is what a elite or star goalie does, and that is what he is getting paid for. Like I said I am a Price fan and want to see him excel. Myself I don't care if the team wins on the back of a star goalie or a star scoring forward as long as we win.

12 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:
13 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I love Price but maybe not sub par but definitely not elite at this point. Like another poster said , a 3-1 lead say 2-3 years ago would of probably stood up. He is playing better than last year, but last year he was sub par and a soft goal occasionally is acceptable. The problem is he is still letting in to many soft goals. To many games the other goalie is out playing him which shouldn't be the case. I hope he continues to improve and get closer to what we expect of him. He should be able to keep you in the games not let the games get away from you. That is what a elite or star goalie does, and that is what he is getting paid for. Like I said I am a Price fan and want to see him excel. Myself I don't care if the team wins on the back of a star goalie or a star scoring forward as long as we win.

Your comparing apples to oranges, first off 2-3 years ago the goalie equipment was different, have you not been paying attention to all of the high scoring games this year. Even goalis like Brobrovski, Quick, Helleback, and Howard are letting in "soft" goals this year does that mean they are sub-par I dont think so. Even with the equipment changes Price still held the Leafs to 4 goals and we only lost in OT because our coach and management don't ice the best combos of players. Second the defense 2-3 years ago was 1000 times better than we have had over the last 2 seasons. I agree an elite goalie should be able to keep you in games and steal one now and then but there is no goalie alive or dead that can win EVERY game one their own and the only people who think they can are delusional. There is a reason hockey is a team sport. 3 the whole team seemed to just give up last year and if you ask me ANYONE in a locker room where players are giving up will eventually follow suit. Defeat is infectious anyone who tells you different is a liar or has never been on a team where players are giving up. The same situation is happening in LA this year. 4 there has been a steady decline in the confidence of the ability of the management team to produce a quality team that is competitive which this year seems to finally be turning around. So IMO Price is proving last year was crap for him compounded by other issues on and off the ice by the WHOLE organization but he and the organization are moving forward to turn things around. Also as I said in another post the "soft goal that got Ottawa back in the game last night was not just Prices mistake but Danault had the puck at the oppositions blue line with galley beside him and instead of chipping it in or passing it off he decided to try to go in one on two and turned it over and fell down taking himself out of the play as well. So if your looking for someone to blame Danault is on the top of my list cause one he is not a skilled centre and should not be trying to go through a defense instead of chipping it past them and recovering it with our speed cause that's what put price in that position to begin with.

2 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

you can't make excuses for the highest paid goalie in the league. Is save % needs to be in AT LEAST in the top 5 and if its not, its not good enough for that contract, I don't care what team he is playing in front of. 

I like Price. He's a good guy, a leader, and have a lot of good memories but facts are facts and he demanded that 10.5 million dollar contract and if he doesn't earn it, I'm going to complain. 

Just now, habsisme said:

you can't make excuses for the highest paid goalie in the league. Is save % needs to be in AT LEAST in the top 5 and if its not, its not good enough for that contract, I don't care what team he is playing in front of. 

I like Price. He's a good guy, a leader, and have a lot of good memories but facts are facts and he demanded that 10.5 million dollar contract and if he doesn't earn it, I'm going to complain. 

You obviously DON'T like Price, ANYONE even YOU would try and get the best contract you could, it's the managers job to get the best deal for the team NOT the players. Also ALL stats are a direct result of the ENTIRE teams performance not an individual's, you can't expect ANY goalie to stop 4 or 5 rebounds in a row with the defense doing nothing or every breakaway he faces it's just not realistic. I hate blaming one or two players for a teams troubles when they are struggling, you never hear the players saying one player played really badly and that cost us the game or the series. That's cause even they know that it's a team sport and everyone has to be accountable for the way the team played. Yes I agree Price is the last line of defense as a goalie and there for will be scrutinised closer when a goal is scored but he is also not the ONLY line of defense every goal that is scored is a direct result of a breakdown in EVERY line of defense from the forwards to the goalie. If a forward had chipped the puck out or blocked the shot or the defenseman had played the body instead of the puck or had cleared the puck instead of trying a stretch pass that was picked off or if a GOALIE had held his post instead of going for a poke check to stop a player from completing a wrap around. Every goal has multiple layers of breakdown the goalies are just more obvious cause they show up on the scoreboard and it's his stat that people pay attention to no one keeps track of how many turn overs a player made or really pays attention to the plus minus of players too much. Even blocked shots are not used often to show how good a dman is. 

I've been a person who's always said MTL needs to unload Price's bulky contract.  That being said, I can count all the seasons Price has struggled on one hand and at very least, have a thumb and an index finger left over.  As far as goalies go, he's definitely one of the more consistent.  He'd be this era's Dominik Hasek.  Hasek was the Dominator long before he ever got a ring.  It could happen this year, but there's still much work to be done both on the ice and in the front office.  

Just now, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I've been a person who's always said MTL needs to unload Price's bulky contract.  That being said, I can count all the seasons Price has struggled on one hand and at very least, have a thumb and an index finger left over.  As far as goalies go, he's definitely one of the more consistent.  He'd be this era's Dominik Hasek.  Hasek was the Dominator long before he ever got a ring.  It could happen this year, but there's still much work to be done both on the ice and in the front office.  

BTW, if I were GM, I'd be looking to unload Alzner and Benn and maybe sending Mete down to Laval for a confidence booster.  

On 10/26/2018 at 1:24 PM, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

BTW, if I were GM, I'd be looking to unload Alzner and Benn and maybe sending Mete down to Laval for a confidence booster.  

Yeah, me too. I wonder what the team could accomplish if you had Alzner's $4.625 million, Shaw's $3.9 million, Schlemko's $2.1 million, and Benn's $1.1 million off the books and you replaced them with 1 quality forward and 1 quality left-handed defender?

45 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, me too. I wonder what the team could accomplish if you had Alzner's $4.625 million, Shaw's $3.9 million, Schlemko's $2.1 million, and Benn's $1.1 million off the books and you replaced them with 1 quality forward and 1 quality left-handed defender?

Sign Tavares? Oh wait...

47 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I like Shaw, i don't think he is overpaid. Same for Benn. Alzner is obviously a bad deal. Not as bad for Schlemko

18 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I like Shaw, i don't think he is overpaid. Same for Benn. Alzner is obviously a bad deal. Not as bad for Schlemko

I agree on Benn but even though Shaw has played well for stretches, he's not a ~$4M dollar player in my opinion. Cap Friendly lists 19 comparable forwards with a Cap hit between 3.5M-4.5M in the age group of 24-29 years. Not sure how accurate the data is but if I had the chance to pick one of those guys, Shaw would probably be really low on the list: Click.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

The thing is, while it would be nice not to have dead weight, even if we cleared those cap hits we're not going to get a quality player unless we trade  a quality player.  I totally agree that if you managed to add another quality forward and say, OEL, when everyone is healthy this team woudl not only be a playoff team but arguably a cup contender. But we're not getting those guys for nothing so its the old Marc Bergevin problem of trading away one asset for another & I dont trust him to do the right thing tbh. 

Id get behind the possibility of moving Drouin for a top pairing LHD but it would weaken us up front, even with his on again/off again runs. 

37 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Yeah, to me Shaw can still be a quality NHLer.  He's overpaid but only marginally.  I think you could actually get some value for him in a trade. Not a ton but potentially move him for a player we need more.   Benn is fine as a #5-7 dman, which is what he's paid as too.  Move him up to the top 4 and he's terrible but this is not his fault, its just over his abilities.  Schlemko - who knows.  He was good in NJ, good in SJ, cant stay healthy here. Im sort of unsure if he even exists at this point.   Alzner is just a train wreck. which is a shame because it sounds like he's an absolute prince of a man.  Ive heard he's the most well-liked player on the team. Too bad he's just abysmal on the ice.  

17 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

I agree on Benn but even though Shaw has played well for stretches, he's not a ~$4M dollar player in my opinion. Cap Friendly lists 19 comparable forwards with a Cap hit between 3.5M-4.5M in the age group of 24-29 years. Not sure how accurate the data is but if I had the chance to pick one of those guys, Shaw would probably be really low on the list: Click.

He's not but again, he's probably a $3m player and there are a lot of those Id pick after shaw.  As long as he's not taking dumb penalties he doesnt actively hurt the team and he has a lot of versatility.   I dont think the extra $1-1.5m we're paying him really hurts us in a major way but i certainly would have no problem trading him. I could see a team out west (Edmonton, Vancouver, LA) wanting a guy like shaw and their opinion of him is at least part still based on what they remember of him as  Blackhawk I would bet. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Alzner is just a train wreck. which is a shame because it sounds like he's an absolute prince of a man.  Ive heard he's the most well-liked player on the team. Too bad he's just abysmal on the ice.  

It's often the case that the veteran who's a train wreck is the most likable guy on the roster as well ... I bet the players just watch him out there scrambling away, twisting and turning and think "Oh Karl ... "

33 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

It's often the case that the veteran who's a train wreck is the most likable guy on the roster as well ... I bet the players just watch him out there scrambling away, twisting and turning and think "Oh Karl ... "

That's quite the image :lol:

Food for thought question, would Vegas trade Shea Theodore for Shaw and Evans, or Shaw and Benn? Or Shaw and ??? What does everyone think we would have to pair with Shaw to get the deal done?

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Food for thought question, would Vegas trade Shea Theodore for Shaw and Evans, or Shaw and Benn? Or Shaw and ??? What does everyone think we would have to pair with Shaw to get the deal done?

considering he's their best defensman?  They'd probably ask for Petry.  Maybe you could offer Shaw + Mete or Shaw + Juulsen but basically you arent getting him for spare parts. 

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

considering he's their best defensman?  They'd probably ask for Petry.  Maybe you could offer Shaw + Mete or Shaw + Juulsen but basically you arent getting him for spare parts. 

If Brook was ready to play 4th line minutes I would send Shaw and Juulsen, but that makes us short of RHD in Laval. Then our D would be.

Theodore-Petry

Reilly-Mete

Ouellett-Brook

Benn

That looks world's better than right now and then 

Theodore-Weber

Reilly-Petry 

Mete-Brook

Ouellett

Once Weber returns which could potentially make us contenders.

Brook was sent back to junior, not Laval. He is not eligible to come up to the NHL this season until his junior team is eliminated. Hopefully he will make the WJC team though, would be fun to see him there.

I would convince Karl Alzner to agree to a mutual termination of contract. :lol: Why not try it twice in one season?

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would convince Karl Alzner to agree to a mutual termination of contract. :lol: Why not try it twice in one season?

Totally unless they feel that he won't agree to it as even he knows no one wants him

Besides he would never agree to giving up 4 years of garuntee pay. Honestly who would, I probably wouldn't either.