1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

To Toronto:

Jeff Petry ($5.5 million)

Nikita Scherbak ($0.84 million)

2nd round draft choice (2019)

To Montreal:

William Nylander (RFA)

Ron Hainsey ($3.0 million)

I don't think the Leafs would give up 2 roster players for 2 and a pick as Nylander would take 2 on his own.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

Yeah, we'd look pretty bad without Petry on the back end but if there was a way to get Nylander for him, I'd definitely go for it and then think about rebuilding our D.

I agree somewhat but that's why I suggested taking Subban as well, he isn't a roster player and if I remember right when he was in Belleville where I live he actually had more points and was a better defender than PK. Which doesn't mean he will be at the NHLlevel but it's worth the shot.

28 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I really don't think we have what it takes to go after Nylander. Nor do I think Toronto would want to trade within their division.

I would really love to offer him 5 years at 8 million and see what happens (we can't offer more than 5 years or it messes up the compensation). 

I disagree cause Dubas is an advanced stats guy and Petry has great advanced stats and Hudon is a top 9 type of player that may interest him as well so they may make a deal like that. 

I would also rather offer sheet him but not sure if MB has what it takes to do that.

39 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I really don't think we have what it takes to go after Nylander. Nor do I think Toronto would want to trade within their division.

I would really love to offer him 5 years at 8 million and see what happens (we can't offer more than 5 years or it messes up the compensation). 

How does the length of the contract impact the compensation owed to Toronto? I thought it was simply a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft choice if the averaged annual salary falls within the $6,088,981 to $8,118,641 range?

9 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I don't think the Leafs would give up 2 roster players for 2 and a pick as Nylander would take 2 on his own.

Perhaps not. I was viewing Hainsey as a cap dump for Toronto in this case. Take on Petry's salary, want to offload some salary at the defense position at the same time. I'm not sure... maybe Hainsey has a ton more value than I thought. I guess it wouldn't really matter to Toronto since Hainsey is an UFA after this season. They could just keep him.

As much as I love the idea of Nylander on this roster, Im starting to change my mind on trying to get him.   

if you look at our team we dont need a Nylander. We've built this team around having basically 3 second lines - and it should work (especially if we can figure out our 4th line).  Scoring by committee is not a bad plan and some of our best young prospects are forwards.

What we need - absolutely positively need - is a top pair LD. Nylander doesnt solve that - and more importantly, Nylander on our roster at $8m or whatever is suddenly a bit of a concern when it comes to contracts moving forward.   

Im all for looking at a 3 way deal.  Lets say we ship Hudon & Petry to TO for Nylander & then turn around & flip him to Dallas or Carolina for one of their top young blueliners.  There's some options there.  But im not sure Id be willing to give up Petry for anything less than a top young defensman at this point - as good as Nylander is.  Its sort of like Drouin for Sergachev. In a bubble, the trade was fine.  It may even end up that Drouin is the better player. But which player did this team need more at that time? 

4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

How does the length of the contract impact the compensation owed to Toronto? I thought it was simply a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round draft choice if the averaged annual salary falls within the $6,088,981 to $8,118,641 range?

that's what i thought too but its not exactly like that. The total salary is divided by the number of years or 5, whichever is lower. So if we offered him a 7 year contract the total salary would be divided by 5, which would take us into the next 4 1st round picks (no way I'm willing to do that). 

But at this point, with the Leafs basically threatening to let him sit out, I think Nylander would sign a 5 year 8 million deal. I don't think the Leafs would want to match that. 

But I don't think MB would do it. Although, this is literally the time to do it if you were ever. Its clearly at a stalemate and its your division rival.  

2 minutes ago, maas_art said:

As much as I love the idea of Nylander on this roster, Im starting to change my mind on trying to get him.   

if you look at our team we dont need a Nylander. We've built this team around having basically 3 second lines - and it should work (especially if we can figure out our 4th line).  Scoring by committee is not a bad plan and some of our best young prospects are forwards.

What we need - absolutely positively need - is a top pair LD. Nylander doesnt solve that - and more importantly, Nylander on our roster at $8m or whatever is suddenly a bit of a concern when it comes to contracts moving forward.   

Im all for looking at a 3 way deal.  Lets say we ship Hudon & Petry to TO for Nylander & then turn around & flip him to Dallas or Carolina for one of their top young blueliners.  There's some options there.  But im not sure Id be willing to give up Petry for anything less than a top young defensman at this point - as good as Nylander is.  Its sort of like Drouin for Sergachev. In a bubble, the trade was fine.  It may even end up that Drouin is the better player. But which player did this team need more at that time? 

I agree but I do think Nylander is a special player so while he does not fill a need, I'd be interested in going after him if it was possible but I don't see it. 

It's crazy, but with Domi being more than capable of playing C and Kotkaniemi being as good as he is already, plus our pipeline... we don't have an issue at C anymore (which Nylander could play). You're absolutely right that are most glaring hole is clearly at LD. If Price keeps playing the way he did this week (and I'm hopeful) with Weber coming back, we actually have a pretty good team! I don't know how it changed so quickly. 

I would stand pat and keep it going. Draft as much D as possible, and maybe flip one of our goalies for D at some point. We also have some decent wingers we could package in a trade too. With everyone healthy we have depth to move. 

7 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I agree but I do think Nylander is a special player so while he does not fill a need, I'd be interested in going after him if it was possible but I don't see it. 

It's crazy, but with Domi being more than capable of playing C and Kotkaniemi being as good as he is already, plus our pipeline... we don't have an issue at C anymore (which Nylander could play). You're absolutely right that are most glaring hole is clearly at LD. If Price keeps playing the way he did this week (and I'm hopeful) with Weber coming back, we actually have a pretty good team! I don't know how it changed so quickly. 

I would stand pat and keep it going. Draft as much D as possible, and maybe flip one of our goalies for D at some point. We also have some decent wingers we could package in a trade too. With everyone healthy we have depth to move. 

Re the bolded part - and i said this all summer - I dont think we were ever a bottom 5 team. I think we were a middle of the road team last year - with really bad puck luck. By the time the dust settled the hole was too big & they just played out hte season.  This year I think we're once again a middle of the road team but we've got a good system, good energy and we've moved a number of the older players for young ones, so there's still potential to grow (hopefully a lot).

I know what you are saying about Nylander. I guess to me, I just dont know if he's "that special.'   The leafs apparently see him as their 6th most important player (thats the holdup because Dubas and co want a scaling pay grade meaning, if you're the 6th ranked player you cant get more money than the 5 guys in front of you). On our team he'd definitely rank higher but we have limited quality trade chip pieces and I just think that if we're really going to move some of them we need to make it count.

Sure, we could trade Hudon or Scherbak or Schlemko and maybe we can get another Mike Reilly type of steal but the chances of us getting a top  pairing D from that are pretty miniscule. For that reason, like you, id probably stay pat or at the very least just trying to get more draft picks & see what we can come up with that way. 

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

There was an article on mynhltrades.com that said with the goalie issues the flames are having they may be interested in trading for Lindgren. Don't know what type of LD they have and if we would be interested but might be worth exploring. Also if you did trade Petry, Hudon and a pick for Nylander the Leafs would be ecstatic as they would be able to resign everyone on long term deals with the money they save on the Nylander deal. On the other hand if we offer sheets Nylander and traded Petry + ? We could end up with a 1 LHD and all holes filled. On a side note if we did get Nylander I would probably leave him on a wing cause we are so deep at centre. Not to mention any team would always take a game changing player every time

Edited by campabee82

3 hours ago, habsisme said:

that's what i thought too but its not exactly like that. The total salary is divided by the number of years or 5, whichever is lower. So if we offered him a 7 year contract the total salary would be divided by 5, which would take us into the next 4 1st round picks (no way I'm willing to do that). 

But at this point, with the Leafs basically threatening to let him sit out, I think Nylander would sign a 5 year 8 million deal. I don't think the Leafs would want to match that. 

But I don't think MB would do it. Although, this is literally the time to do it if you were ever. Its clearly at a stalemate and its your division rival.  

Ah, I see. Tricky tricky offer sheet rules! Thanks for that.

We have the cap room to do a Nylander signing this year but that's going to hurt down the road when we need to resign some guys, and it pretty much leaves us little to zip to upgrade our D which is the more glaring issue IMO. I've said it before and i'll say it again,,,,nobody does offer sheets in this League and i very much doubt MB bucks the trend and goes that route. I'd be fine trading for him but i highly doubt we get him without including someone like a Kotkaniemi and one of our young D. Pass if that even comes into the conversation. 

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

We have the cap room to do a Nylander signing this year but that's going to hurt down the road when we need to resign some guys, and it pretty much leaves us little to zip to upgrade our D which is the more glaring issue IMO. I've said it before and i'll say it again,,,,nobody does offer sheets in this League and i very much doubt MB bucks the trend and goes that route. I'd be fine trading for him but i highly doubt we get him without including someone like a Kotkaniemi and one of our young D. Pass if that even comes into the conversation. 

The only way things work out is if we can move the Alzner contract and maybe Drouin for a LHD like Chychrun or OEL. 

9 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

The only way things work out is if we can move the Alzner contract and maybe Drouin for a LHD like Chychrun or OEL. 

Or someone like that

The season is early. We've clearly identified LD as pain point so far. Jake Muzzin's name has come up on the board before. He could be a solution for this season and next. Los Angeles has indicated a willingness to deal with the acquisition of Carl Hagelin.

Can Muzzin fill the role of top pairing defender with Weber or Petry?

To Los Angeles:

David Schlemko ($2.1 million)

Nikita Scherbak ($0.87 million)

To Montreal:

Jake Muzzin ($4 million)

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

The season is early. We've clearly identified LD as pain point so far. Jake Muzzin's name has come up on the board before. He could be a solution for this season and next. Los Angeles has indicated a willingness to deal with the acquisition of Carl Hagelin.

To Los Angeles:

To Montreal:

Jake Muzzin ($4 million)

Thats crazy!  You can't part with Scherbak and a high pick on a rebuilding team.  Muzzin is too slow for today's game the only reason LA wants to move him.  I would rather see them go after a younger D man like a Zadorov in Colorado.  He has been a healthy scratch and would add a ton of gritt and meanness to our line up when we lost Emelin

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

To Los Angeles:

To Montreal:

Jake Muzzin ($4 million)

38 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Thats crazy!  You can't part with Scherbak and a high pick on a rebuilding team.  Muzzin is too slow for today's game the only reason LA wants to move him.  I would rather see them go after a younger D man like a Zadorov in Colorado.  He has been a healthy scratch and would add a ton of gritt and meanness to our line up when we lost Emelin

Yeah I tend to agree with 26.  Muzzin is not the answer for this team, even as a band-aid solution. 

The problem is that we've got really only 3 options:

1) Trade depth players for a dman, which probably means someone no better than Reilly, Ouellette, Benn etc.

2) Trade a quality player (ie Drouin) for a top 3 dman.  Its possible but how would that affect us up front? We are scoring with our depth right now, can we afford to lose someone? We could also look at trading a guy like Petry for a young potential top 4 from a team that needs an experienced #1RD NOW, but that could be risky and we're still playing the waiting game while he develops.

3) Wait. Use what we have now, draft more, hope some of the guys we have develop etc.  This doesnt preclude us from moving guys like Schlemko or Alzner or whomever & just stockpiling prospects or picks. 

There's not really any other options.  Sure, you can try option 1 and hope you get some diamond in the rough but lets face it, even if we can (a la Mike Reilly) surprise with a quality return, is he really likely to be better than say a #4 at best?  We need a top pairing LD.   

Ok with Juulsen down we need to pull off something big to strengthen our D. I say we do Drouin and  late pick for OEL type of Dman and trade a pick or two and Ouellett or Schlemko to the Leafs for Jordan Subban so we have a decent option for the right side of the 2nd or 3rd pairing. Then you could play

???-Petry

Mete-Benn

Ouellett/Schlemko (whichever one we keep)-Subban 

Maybe this is enough to keep us in the hunt still until Weber is 100%. Then we could ice

???-Weber

Mete-Petry 

Ouellett/Schlemko(whichever one we keep)-Subban 

Flip Benn and continue to sit Alzner and once Juulsen is healthy we could flip Petry or waive Alzner and once he clears send him and Subban to Laval if need be. 

What about Drouin for Zadorov and a 3rd round pick. Zadorov did play big 1st pairing minutes in the playoffs last year for the Avs so he can handle those types of minutes. The Avs need second line scoring and may give up Zadorov for Drouin as they have LD depth. Or maybe Scherbak and Shaw for Zadorov. 

The Penguins have stated that everyone not named Malkin or Crosby, is up for trades. Maybe we could trade for Letang.  I'm sure MB could offer 5X5. :rolleyes:. :P

Edited by kinot-2

Was looking at the Blues we could go Drouin, Scherbak, Alzner and Lindgren for Soshnikov, Schenn, Perron and Edmundson plus picks gives us a young LHD capable of playing 1st pairing, added scoring and we can flip Benn, Schlemko and Deslaurier for picks. The Blues get cap relief, potential scoring wingers at lower cost and goaltender capable of challenging Allen for starting roll. Potential lines are

Tatar-Domi-Gallagher (fast paced hard to handle line always a threat to score)

Schenn-Kotkaniemi-Soshnikov (Potential #1 line fast, highly skilled and dangerous shooters on both wings)

Lehkonen-Danault-Perron (Strong defensive line capable of scoring)

Hudon-Shaw-Armia (fast paced defensive line with scoring threat)

Extras

Peca, Scherbak

Edmundson-Weber

Mete-Petry 

Reilly-Juulsen 

Ouellett

Price

Niemi

Would be one hell of a blockbuster deal with so many pieces. Key issues are Alzner and Perron both have M-NMC's. Person has 5 teams no trade list while Alzner has 7 team no trade list. 

Ya know, that suspect that MB will pull off an trade in the next weeks. 

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Would be one hell of a blockbuster deal with so many pieces. Key issues are Alzner and Perron both have M-NMC's. Person has 5 teams no trade list while Alzner has 7 team no trade list. 

There's zero chance MB trades Drouin yet.     It would again admit he made a mistake trading for him in the first place (having given up LD Sergachev).

8 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

There's zero chance MB trades Drouin yet.     It would again admit he made a mistake trading for him in the first place (having given up LD Sergachev).

Yeah and i also think they love the DDS line.  I could see guys like Hudon, Scherbak, Schlemko, Benn or Alzner (fat chance) getting moved. I dont think MB will tinker with any of our top 9 or young D.

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah and i also think they love the DDS line.  I could see guys like Hudon, Scherbak, Schlemko, Benn or Alzner (fat chance) getting moved. I dont think MB will tinker with any of our top 9 or young D.

I think if the right trade could be made that MB would say it was too good to pass up especially if it meant filling 3 needs at once. 

1. Off load the Alzner contract.

2. Potentially create an actual #1 line. Schenn-kotkaniemi-Soshnikov 

3. Get a young #1 LHD Edmundson.

I feel Drouin and Lindgren are good enough to get that return. Adding Scherbak should return at least second and third round picks as well.

Edited by campabee82