H_T_L

2018-19 Rumour thread

394 posts in this topic

Just now, BigTed3 said:

Now Bob McKenzie issuing a series of tweets saying TSN never said that and that a Philadelphia reporter falsely told everyone that TSN reported the story... weird, it's like the media is piling lies on each other to create news. Or else there's some smoke here and maybe teams have been in talks but nothing finalized.

Fake news.:4224:

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

tutoring? do you mean touting?

I think both those guys are going to be way too expensive. I'd rather try to sell a winger to a team like Calgary. What could we get from them for Tatar (even retain salary) or even Drouin, who I'm really starting to hate. 

Sorry that was supposed to be still reporting Hamilton rumors to Montreal. I know it's wishful thinking but I would trade Weber/Petry for Hamilton. Also I was only throwing a Terasenko option out there, there are no reports of him going to the habs. But with they way the Blues are playing why not offer Hudon, Kulak, and a third. Although I hate to move Kulak over Benn, Alzner or Schlemko but I don't think that type of deal gets done with one of those 3.

15 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Sorry that was supposed to be still reporting Hamilton rumors to Montreal. I know it's wishful thinking but I would trade Weber/Petry for Hamilton. Also I was only throwing a Terasenko option out there, there are no reports of him going to the habs. But with they way the Blues are playing why not offer Hudon, Kulak, and a third. Although I hate to move Kulak over Benn, Alzner or Schlemko but I don't think that type of deal gets done with one of those 3.

I don't want Hamilton anywhere near our team.    Locker room cancer.

24 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

This

30 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

5 minutes ago, booboo_mtl said:

This

Really? Ive never heard that. Interesting.    Honestly i think the worries are moot though.  Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Brooke, Fleury, Lernout, Benn   - we're set at all 3 RHD positions for a Lonnnnng time. 

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

Really? Ive never heard that. Interesting.    Honestly i think the worries are moot though.  Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Brooke, Fleury, Lernout, Benn   - we're set at all 3 RHD positions for a Lonnnnng time. 

It's why Calgary traded him in the end.    Example ... during a road trip whole team goes out for lunch together, except Douggie who goes to a museum ... and that's the "minor" things that came to light.    Calgary sure wanted him gone as did Boston.

57 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

It's why Calgary traded him in the end.    Example ... during a road trip whole team goes out for lunch together, except Douggie who goes to a museum ... and that's the "minor" things that came to light.    Calgary sure wanted him gone as did Boston.

That sounds more like a loner than a cancer though.  Some guys just dont fit in but doesnt mean they are a disruption. Its not like Shanahan or Comrie or Pronger purportedly sleeping with teammates wives. 

51 minutes ago, maas_art said:

That sounds more like a loner than a cancer though.  Some guys just dont fit in but doesnt mean they are a disruption. Its not like Shanahan or Comrie or Pronger purportedly sleeping with teammates wives. 

That was just one example.    Just as an outsider we can see it ... why is such a talented, mobile big defender on his 3rd team already?  traded twice?

When he got traded from BOS to CAL :

“It was surprising,” said one NHL assistant GM. “It’s obvious there’s something going on that we don’t know about. From what I’ve heard behind the scenes, his teammates don’t like him. I heard he’s a loner and sort of an uppity kid, and that his teammates don’t like him and it was unanimous.”

And here we are, less than a full season completed after being traded from CAL to CAR ... and the Canes are rumored to be shopping him around.

7 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

LOL........really? How many times a year do all the players "do lunch" (or dinner) together? Seems to me it wouldn't hurt a lot of those players to expand their horizons beyond doing lunch or visiting bars.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:54 PM, habs1952 said:

LOL........really? How many times a year do all the players "do lunch" (or dinner) together? Seems to me it wouldn't hurt a lot of those players to expand their horizons beyond doing lunch or visiting bars.

This.  With the millions of dollars they get paid, you'd think they could be more grown up about things.  ERither way we all know Dougie Hamilton will never dawn a Habs jersey.  However I could see Toronto doing Kapanen and a 1st for Hamilton.

Just now, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

This.  With the millions of dollars they get paid, you'd think they could be more grown up about things.  ERither way we all know Dougie Hamilton will never dawn a Habs jersey.  However I could see Toronto doing Kapanen and a 1st for Hamilton.

they don't want to lose Kapanen but it makes a lot of sense for Toronto to make a move for defenseman especially one with term. I always thought they should have traded Nylander, and still think they should

21 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Definitely a trade proposal that makes sense for both teams IMO. We know Tor wants a first-pairing RHD and we know they're willing to give up their 1st rounder. We also know Carolina wants a scoring winger, and Kapanen is kind of lost in the shuffle in Toronto and if he's too good, they won't be able to pay him long-term anyways.

Dave Pagnotta reports the Isles are looking to add to their roster and are willing to include their 1st rounder in a deal. This is an opportunity IMO. as much as they've over-achieved so far, they are a team that is relying on goaltending that has fared way better than it should, which means it has a risk of all coming crashing down. This is potentially a 1st rounder that could end up being a top 20 pick and maybe even a lottery one. I'd be asking about it...

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Dave Pagnotta reports the Isles are looking to add to their roster and are willing to include their 1st rounder in a deal. This is an opportunity IMO. as much as they've over-achieved so far, they are a team that is relying on goaltending that has fared way better than it should, which means it has a risk of all coming crashing down. This is potentially a 1st rounder that could end up being a top 20 pick and maybe even a lottery one. I'd be asking about it...

Was it mentioned what position they are looking to firm up? Defense? Forward?

According to Dans Les Coulisses, the Habs have had discussions with the Pens about acquiring Olli Maata. They guess that the asking price might be a forward like Arturri Lehkonen.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

According to Dans Les Coulisses, the Habs have had discussions with the Pens about acquiring Olli Maata. They guess that the asking price might be a forward like Arturri Lehkonen.

Intriguing player to target.  He's a solid young LD  but i wonder why the pens would move him?  He's got to be their 2nd best LD after Brian Dumoulin and he's several years younger.  Johnson has been better than expected there but he's what 32?  I guess if the Pens are trying for one last push they move a younger asset for some win-now guys but then you have to wonder if they'd want more than (or something different from) just Lehkonen.

Id happily do Shaw + Benn + Schlemko for Maata

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/flyers-going-all-in-on-gostisbehere-trade

what would you give up to get the ghost, if he is indeed available?

According to Bob McKenzie they are "looking for a veteran Top-4 defenseman to insulate some of their younger players and they’re looking for a veteran forward up front."

That sounds to me like they would be want to start discussions with Jeff Petry. I dont think you could convince them that Benn or Schlemko or Alzner are top 4 material.  Everyone else is either on MB's untouchable list (Weber) or too young themselves.

Up front I could see them really coveting Shaw.  He's injured right now but so is Gostisbehere i believe.  

I dunno, something like:  

Petry + Shaw 

for

Ghostbehere + prospect + pick   

Petry is the best player in the bunch but the Ghost is much younger so I dont know how high of a draft pick you could get from them.  2nd maybe? 

1 hour ago, jeff33 said:

https://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/flyers-going-all-in-on-gostisbehere-trade

what would you give up to get the ghost, if he is indeed available?

The Habs are in my opinion in a position to take no risks.  Maybe in a year or Two when some of the young talent progresses. Right now i think Gostisbehere is a Risk.   We've just got burned by ALZNER. Even though the Habs are having a much better season than we all thought, We still need to be patient.    

17 minutes ago, xxdocxx said:

The Habs are in my opinion in a position to take no risks.  Maybe in a year or Two when some of the young talent progresses. Right now i think Gostisbehere is a Risk.   We've just got burned by ALZNER. Even though the Habs are having a much better season than we all thought, We still need to be patient.    

How is he a risk though? He's 24 years old & just on the verge of becoming a top player.  Could he flame out? Yes, but if Philly is looking for vets for a playoff run, there's no risk for us - those guys most likely wont be here in a couple of years when we're competitive anyway. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

According to Bob McKenzie they are "looking for a veteran Top-4 defenseman to insulate some of their younger players and they’re looking for a veteran forward up front."

That sounds to me like they would be want to start discussions with Jeff Petry. I dont think you could convince them that Benn or Schlemko or Alzner are top 4 material.  Everyone else is either on MB's untouchable list (Weber) or too young themselves.

Up front I could see them really coveting Shaw.  He's injured right now but so is Gostisbehere i believe.  

I dunno, something like:  

Petry + Shaw 

for

Ghostbehere + prospect + pick   

Petry is the best player in the bunch but the Ghost is much younger so I dont know how high of a draft pick you could get from them.  2nd maybe? 

I would make that trade but i'm guessing they can get a lot more for him, I'm not even sure why they are trying to move him. Ghost and a 2 (and no prospect) would be more than enough for me. 

50 minutes ago, maas_art said:

How is he a risk though? He's 24 years old & just on the verge of becoming a top player.  Could he flame out? Yes, but if Philly is looking for vets for a playoff run, there's no risk for us - those guys most likely wont be here in a couple of years when we're competitive anyway. 

Actually he is a risk, and he is NOT 24, he will be 26 in 3 months, he is brutal in his own end, lacks any kind of size...

I do however like his skating and offensive vision. I like Petry more though, more size and more physical, and has really found his game. Petry will be a  good for at least the next 4 or 5 years or even longer  because he is an excellent skater. 

If your going to trade to Strengthen the left side why would you weaken the right side ??? Why take a step forward and two steps backward. Brooks Julsen etc are fine looking prospects but not guarantees yet and none of them are even close to Petry at this stage in their carreers. Don't give away one of your best positional players for a player...

Trade from strength, we have an abundance of wingers, if we can package wingers with draft picks for GHOST or Fowler etc then yes.

57 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

Actually he is a risk, and he is NOT 24, he will be 26 in 3 months, he is brutal in his own end, lacks any kind of size...

I do however like his skating and offensive vision. I like Petry more though, more size and more physical, and has really found his game. Petry will be a  good for at least the next 4 or 5 years or even longer  because he is an excellent skater. 

If your going to trade to Strengthen the left side why would you weaken the right side ??? Why take a step forward and two steps backward. Brooks Julsen etc are fine looking prospects but not guarantees yet and none of them are even close to Petry at this stage in their carreers. Don't give away one of your best positional players for a player...

Trade from strength, we have an abundance of wingers, if we can package wingers with draft picks for GHOST or Fowler etc then yes.

I agree also it's important to note that trading Petry isn't going to be easy anyway cause he has a MNTC with 15 teams that he can say no to that's half the league why bother trying to move him when he is doing so well anyway. You could easily send

Ouellette+Evans+2nd round pick for Fowler that's along the same line as what the leafs gave up for Muzzin.

As for the Flyers and the Ghost I think something like Evans+Benn+3rd round pick gets it done cause anyone who thinks the Flyers are making a playoff run this year is dreaming cause they are 12 points out right now with 33 games remaining that means they have to pick up their winning percentage from 40.8 to 60.6 over their last 33 games that means they have to win a minimum of 20 games just to catch the teams ahead of them not going to happen. The Flyers will take just about anything and are more likely to try a retool like MB built around Heart and Giroux. 

1. Agreed the Flyers are not building for a playoff run this year. They want to change the make-up of their team, but I wouldn't be surprised to see them trade Simmonds for futures.

2. Gostisbehere is a guy we should be targeting. I think Philly will want an NHL player who is also 26 or under back in return, at a minimum. I think they might go for something like Lehkonen + Mete, for example. They are not trading him for an older player IMO. They are not trading him for spare parts. He's a talented guy on a reasonable long-term deal. There's no reason for them to dump him.

3. One idea floated around was to offer to take salary off Philly's hands as part of the deal. Maybe Weise. A much larger take would be a guy like JVR, which I don't see teams biting on given the term he has left though. But Ghost + Weise for Hudon, Mete, and a 2nd? Or for Shaw, Mete, and a 2nd? Or Lehkonen and a 3rd?