H_T_L

2018-19 Rumour thread

394 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would consider acquiring Callahan IF the additional piece is really, really nice. I'm not interested in a late 1st rounder. It has to be a prospect almost guaranteed to be a top-six forward or top-four defender.

Agreed.  Id also do something like Callahan for Alzner (TB wouldnt). 

59 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I don't mind this kind of acquisition however I don't see MB trying to get back Sergachev, that would sort of be like admitting he was wrong. However the flip side of it would be that he now has both players and therefore was a GM genius knowing that he could get Sergachev back. LMAO I don't know that anyone would buy that though more like he would have gotten lucky

I dont think it woudl be like admitting he was wrong at all.  At the time of the trade MB still had high praise for Sergachev and said it hurt to let him go, but you had to give to get so he acknowledged he was giving up a good player to get a good player.  If we somehow could get him back that would be like having your cake and eating it. 

57 minutes ago, habsisme said:

well I'd want as much as we can get but Callahan's deal is on for one more year, and while he is overpaid, I don't think he is a useless player. A first round pick, however late it is sounds like a good pick up to me. What else are we doing with that cap space?

Also agreed.   Is callaghan a $6m player? Gosh no. But he'd be a solid addition to our bottom 6.  He's easily better than anyone on the 4th line and honestly i think there's a chance he's a 20 goal scorer again if you played him on the 3rd line next to JK.   

In other words, he'd be a huge salary undertaking, yes - and if it brought us back a 1st rounder or a top young player like Sergachev, then great - but he'd also have some value on the roster.  He's not going to be Tatar v2.0 but he may well chip in some timely goals from the bottom 6.    The other piece coming with him would have to be the key though. 

You could probably throw a questionable prospect back their way (so there's a chance for them to get something out of it)

5th round pick + Lernout

for

Callaghan + Sergachev

Is probably fair for both sides but not sure it would happen. 

According to Elliotte Friedman, we've made inqueries about Brett Ritchie.  This follows the type of player (if any) that MB seems likely to add come deadline time.   Bottom six winger, good size, good defensive awareness. 

I think MB believes we need some more winger depth in case of injuries - we saw the problems we had with Byron, Armia and Shaw out.  

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

According to Elliotte Friedman, we've made inqueries about Brett Ritchie.  This follows the type of player (if any) that MB seems likely to add come deadline time.   Bottom six winger, good size, good defensive awareness. 

I think MB believes we need some more winger depth in case of injuries - we saw the problems we had with Byron, Armia and Shaw out.  

but with the play of Peca and Hudon lately I don't believe winger depth is a problem unless it is a 4th line winger. That said I wouldn't mind adding a guy like Ritchie or Callaghan as long as we get something better coming back as well

45 minutes ago, maas_art said:

5th round pick + Lernout

for

Callaghan + Sergachev

Is probably fair for both sides but not sure it would happen. 

Yes, I think this is the type of deal I'd like to see, and I would be willing to either give them a slightly better prospect or a higher draft pick. Sergachev is struggling because they've added Mcdonagh, so sergachev is now playing the bottom 6. I don't mind giving up a 5th and a 4th (of which we have two each) or even one of our two seconds to get a player like Sergachev. I also think they may want us to add Benn, which I would do as well

25 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Yes, I think this is the type of deal I'd like to see, and I would be willing to either give them a slightly better prospect or a higher draft pick. Sergachev is struggling because they've added Mcdonagh, so sergachev is now playing the bottom 6. I don't mind giving up a 5th and a 4th (of which we have two each) or even one of our two seconds to get a player like Sergachev. I also think they may want us to add Benn, which I would do as well

For sure. Id be fine adjusting the players/picks too but ultimately I think (if MB was even to try this) he would have to go in to it looking at Callaghan as a negative value (Albeit a moderately useful player but one who is absolutely handcuffing their cap space) and Sergachev as a slumping sophmore.   So i think Sergachev's trade worth is at a slightly lower value than it was when we moved him and Callaghan is a negative so our return should not have to be great.   Maybe you put a guy like Benn (as mentioned) or Hudon or a prospect like McCarron or even a slightly better one Fleury if need be. 

Hudon + Benn + 4th
for
Sergachev + Callaghan

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

For sure. Id be fine adjusting the players/picks too but ultimately I think (if MB was even to try this) he would have to go in to it looking at Callaghan as a negative value (Albeit a moderately useful player but one who is absolutely handcuffing their cap space) and Sergachev as a slumping sophmore.   So i think Sergachev's trade worth is at a slightly lower value than it was when we moved him and Callaghan is a negative so our return should not have to be great.   Maybe you put a guy like Benn (as mentioned) or Hudon or a prospect like McCarron or even a slightly better one Fleury if need be. 

Hudon + Benn + 4th
for
Sergachev + Callaghan

agreed 

20 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Hudon + Benn + 4th
for
Sergachev + Callaghan

I like this trade but the whole point would be to not give up anything of value like with Armia. so Maybe you go Benn + 4th for Sergachev and Callaghan + 2020 2nd

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

no way they take Alzner back, his contract is longer than Callahan, it would make no sense for them. 

Alzner is something we have to deal with separately. Starting next year his salary is equal to or lower than his cap hit for the remainder of his contract. We can try to trade him, if not we should just buy him out

For sure. I suspect a buyout (next year, the following year?) will be how we eventually get rid of that contract.

20 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I like this trade but the whole point would be to not give up anything of value like with Armia. so Maybe you go Benn + 4th for Sergachev and Callaghan + 2020 2nd

As bad as Callaghan's contract is, Sergachev cost TB a young, 50-60 point forward in Drouin.  While I would certainly go in offering less, i think its likely TB would want at least one player of value (like Hudon or Benn etc) as part of the deal. 

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

As bad as Callaghan's contract is, Sergachev cost TB a young, 50-60 point forward in Drouin.  While I would certainly go in offering less, i think its likely TB would want at least one player of value (like Hudon or Benn etc) as part of the deal. 

I get that, that's why I sent Benn + 4th the other way lol

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

Hudon + Benn + 4th
for
Sergachev + Callaghan

not happening - if you want Segachev your giving up a first and a roster player like Lekonen. Thats a minimum. It doesnt matter it doesnt matter that your taking Callahan.

Your asking Tampa to give up a potential Norris type defenseman for 3 players not even capable of making Tampa. 

Sergachev is still getting third most minutes behind Hedman and MCdonough, on pace for more than 30 points , 6.3 215  and a tremdous skater who can throw a heavy hit also..and is only 20 years old

Edited by caperns61

8 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

not happening - if you want Segachev your giving up a first and a roster player like Lekonen. Thats a minimum. It doesnt matter it doesnt matter that your taking Callahan.

Your asking Tampa to give up a potential Norris type defenseman for 3 players not even capable of making Tampa. 

Sergachev is still getting third most minutes behind Hedman and MCdonough, on pace for more than 30 points , 6.3 215  and a tremdous skater who can throw a heavy hit also..and is only 20 years old

I think it would take more, but I'm not sure it would take a first

I'd say something like Benn, 2nd round pick, and one of our prospects (but not one of our top 5 prospects, like a 6 to 10, Hudon, McCarron et al are useless to anyone)

I mean I guess it all depends on who else can offer absorb Callahan's contract and if he would waive his NTC; it may be more valuable than you think. 

But one way to think of is would Benn, a second round pick, a 6 to 10 prospect, and Armia (who we got for taking a bad contract) be enough? 

In any case, I would love to get whatever we can for taking on a bad contract (short term). 

33 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

The way I would look at it is if you want me to take a player on a 6 mil contract you have to give me a 6 mil player on a great contract. Plus on Tampa Sergachev will never be a Norris winner not with both Headman and McDounah there he will always be relegated to 3rd pairing. 

Edited by campabee82

Sergachev  coming back to Montreal is a "pipe dream". We best not be doing Tampa any favors by taking Callahan. Let them work out that problem else where.  Its Fowler, maybe Edler or no one.  

12 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Sergachev  coming back to Montreal is a "pipe dream". We best not be doing Tampa any favors by taking Callahan. Let them work out that problem else where.  Its Fowler, maybe Edler or no one.  

Okay maybe Sergachev is a step too far but I would take Callahan even for just a high pick, why not? I'd rather than then take Edler

Look, its easy to say "this is not happening" and be done with it. 90% of trades discussed by GMs never happen (let alone all the ones fans toss out there) , so obviously the naysayers will always have better odds. But to dismiss some of the proposals outright because odds are in your favour simply shows a  lack of imagination.

Thankfully Bergevin has shown at least one trade (Armia) that proved he can think a little outside the box, so it will be interesting to see if he does it again.  Do i think its likely? No. But i also am not so obstinate that I cant appreciate some other's suggestions of some creative moves. 

9 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Look, its easy to say "this is not happening" and be done with it. 90% of trades discussed by GMs never happen (let alone all the ones fans toss out there) , so obviously the naysayers will always have better odds. But to dismiss some of the proposals outright because odds are in your favour simply shows a  lack of imagination.

Thankfully Bergevin has shown at least one trade (Armia) that proved he can think a little outside the box, so it will be interesting to see if he does it again.  Do i think its likely? No. But i also am not so obstinate that I cant appreciate some other's suggestions of some creative moves. 

agreed

1 hour ago, tony5775 said:

Here's the biggest reason this may not be as much of a "pipe dream" as you think. If your the Lightening GM knowing your cap space and who is coming up as free agents this year also the ages of McDoughnah and Headman and the likelihood they play top 2 into their late 30s. Your telling me you wouldn't send Sergachev and Callaghan here for just simply cap relief so you can resign Point. That would get you fired quickly if I were the owner.

I think we'd have to add substantially to get Sergachev back, even if Callahan's contract was included in the deal. Healthy scratch or not, he's a 2nd-year player on one of the best teams in the league and still has huge upside. I just don't see Tampa giving us Sergachev for peanuts, that would essentially mean they traded Drouin away and have nothing to show for it. Point will get a substantial raise and Stralman, Girardi, and Coburn all need to be extended/replaced this summer, so I'm not sure they're willing to trade their only Dman on a cheap contract to do so, who will also need to be replaced.

Maybe it makes more sense to try and get Tampa Bay's first rounder instead, something like Callahan and Tampa's 1st in 2019 for one of our later picks or a middling prospect could work for both sides.

14 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Sergachev is no more a pipe dream than Fowler or Edler.  MTL has the cap space to take on a salary like Callahan's for the remainder of this year and absorb the buy-out of his final year.  You do that favor for Tampa and they'll hand over Sergachev.  Players get traded back to teams all the time.  If you loosen up cap space for them to make all-in moves at the deadline, they may be willing to give you back Sergachev.  I think it'll cost a little more since it's in the division, so this would be my pitch:

To TB:  Charles Hudon, Jordie Benn, Conditional 1st, 2019 (The condition being if we win the cup, TB get the 1st.  If not, TB gets our 2nd)

To MTL: Mikhail Sergachev, Ryan Callahan

That's a more than fair offer to take on a 5.8 mil 4th liner and a struggling sophmore.  Ryan Callahan  BTW, is a +17 in give away, take away differential.  MTL could use a guy who creates more turnovers than he causes.  Ultimately I don't think this move happens and MTL picks another younger LD in the in the draft with their 1st.

Edited by East_Coast_Juggalo_13

49 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Sergachev is no more a pipe dream than Fowler or Edler.  MTL has the cap space to take on a salary like Callahan's for the remainder of this year and absorb the buy-out of his final year.  You do that favor for Tampa and they'll hand over Sergachev.  Players get traded back to teams all the time.  If you loosen up cap space for them to make all-in moves at the deadline, they may be willing to give you back Sergachev.  I think it'll cost a little more since it's in the division, so this would be my pitch:

To TB:  Charles Hudon, Jordie Benn, Conditional 1st, 2019 (The condition being if we win the cup, TB get the 1st.  If not, TB gets our 2nd)

To MTL: Mikhail Sergachev, Ryan Callahan

That's a more than fair offer to take on a 5.8 mil 4th liner and a struggling sophmore.  Ryan Callahan  BTW, is a +17 in give away, take away differential.  MTL could use a guy who creates more turnovers than he causes.  Ultimately I don't think this move happens and MTL picks another younger LD in the in the draft with their 1st.

That's way too much IMO to give up to HELP a team in the division potentially win the cup. I would be happy with Benn (Tampa could use a 3rd pairing RD) and a second if you give them Hudon I would want either another prospect or higher pick coming back. the thing you have to remember is we are giving them 6 mil cap space that would land a star player for their run.

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

That's way too much IMO to give up to HELP a team in the division potentially win the cup. I would be happy with Benn (Tampa could use a 3rd pairing RD) and a second if you give them Hudon I would want either another prospect or higher pick coming back. the thing you have to remember is we are giving them 6 mil cap space that would land a star player for their run.

Hudon and Benn get you Callahan and talking about Sergachev

the conditional 1st gets you over the hump

I could see TB kicking the tires on this but ultimately not pulling the trigger.   They have too many pieces on D that Sergachev's upside and cheap contract mean they'll want to to retain him

The next four games are going to be very tough games. If we some how come out of those with a winning record, them MB will most likely make a couple of moves. 

But no way is Sergachev coming back to this team. 

50 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

I could see TB kicking the tires on this but ultimately not pulling the trigger.   They have too many pieces on D that Sergachev's upside and cheap contract mean they'll want to to retain him

Yeah in the end I think both GMs would kick the tire on a deal like this but I dont think either will actually do it.

In the same way I think MB will consider moving a top six winger if it means bringing back a #1LD but I dont think he'll actually do so in the end. 

We're in a really strange situation

We're in the wild card spot, but on pace for 100 pts on the season ... we're tied for pts with NY Isles who lead their division.  We're 9th over all in terms of record.

If the playoffs started today ...

1st round would be TB vs Columbus, Tor vs Bos, NY Islanders vs Montreal, Wash vs Pits.  

If we beat Isles, we would face winner of Tor vs Bos or Wash vs Pits ... not sure which.    We wouldn't have to face TB until the conference finals.

So in theory, our path to the conference final if we finish where we are right now is easier than finishing 3rd in the division ... I'm sure MB is aware of this and as such any moves we make before deadline will be to shore up a chance to keep the Wild Card #1 spot to face the Isles in 1st round, but nothing crazy that would push us past Bos/Toronto in the standings.