H_T_L

2018-19 Rumour thread

394 posts in this topic

18 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

We're in a really strange situation

We're in the wild card spot, but on pace for 100 pts on the season ... we're tied for pts with NY Isles who lead their division.  We're 9th over all in terms of record.

If the playoffs started today ...

1st round would be TB vs Columbus, Tor vs Bos, NY Islanders vs Montreal, Wash vs Pits.  

If we beat Isles, we would face winner of Tor vs Bos or Wash vs Pits ... not sure which.    We wouldn't have to face TB until the conference finals.

So in theory, our path to the conference final if we finish where we are right now is easier than finishing 3rd in the division ... I'm sure MB is aware of this and as such any moves we make before deadline will be to shore up a chance to keep the Wild Card #1 spot to face the Isles in 1st round, but nothing crazy that would push us past Bos/Toronto in the standings.

 

Then again, do you want home ice advantage or not? 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Then again, do you want home ice advantage or not? 

We won't get HIA over TB regardless.   So the question is do you want to face the Isles who you have a comparable season record to ... or face the Leafs in the 1st round?  Unless we finish 2nd in our DIV we won't have home ice over anybody in the 1st round.

We face Isles in 1st round ... and win that series, anything is possible after that.   Maybe Columbus pulls off an upset on TB and Toronto falls to Boston.  Then the east is wide open.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, HabsAlways said:

We won't get HIA over TB regardless.   So the question is do you want to face the Isles who you have a comparable season record to ... or face the Leafs in the 1st round?  Unless we finish 2nd in our DIV we won't have home ice over anybody in the 1st round.

We face Isles in 1st round ... and win that series, anything is possible after that.   Maybe Columbus pulls off an upset on TB and Toronto falls to Boston.  Then the east is wide open.

 

Kinda reminds one of 1993. Dominoes.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

We're in a really strange situation

We're in the wild card spot, but on pace for 100 pts on the season ... we're tied for pts with NY Isles who lead their division.  We're 9th over all in terms of record.

If the playoffs started today ...

1st round would be TB vs Columbus, Tor vs Bos, NY Islanders vs Montreal, Wash vs Pits.  

If we beat Isles, we would face winner of Tor vs Bos or Wash vs Pits ... not sure which.    We wouldn't have to face TB until the conference finals.

So in theory, our path to the conference final if we finish where we are right now is easier than finishing 3rd in the division ... I'm sure MB is aware of this and as such any moves we make before deadline will be to shore up a chance to keep the Wild Card #1 spot to face the Isles in 1st round, but nothing crazy that would push us past Bos/Toronto in the standings.

 

If we play the Isle in the first round via the first wild card spot then we would play through the Metropolitan Division so we would face off against the Washington-Pittsburgh winner. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Flying_Lion said:

If we play the Isle in the first round via the first wild card spot then we would play through the Metropolitan Division so we would face off against the Washington-Pittsburgh winner. 

Even better, as we currently have a better record than either team.

MB may add a LD but he's not going to sell the farm ... logic would tell you we have a legit shot at making the conference finals.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The more I analyze it, the more I" think MB shouldn't tinker too much.    Finishing in the top WC spot is far better this year.    Otherwise we face TB/Tor 1st/2nd rounds.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

The more I analyze it, the more I" think MB shouldn't tinker too much.    Finishing in the top WC spot is far better this year.    Otherwise we face TB/Tor 1st/2nd rounds.

the real problem becomes how do you ensure you make the 1st WC and not the 2nd WC or a Division spot? its nearly impossible, you have to approach the deadline with the current way of thinking. We absolutely need a #1 LD and a scoring winger IF you can get one with youth and term that fits our system then you make the trade if not you continue with what we have and see if 1. you can pick one up either at the draft or during FA or 2. you plan on molding Mete or Romanov into that roll and go all out to get his KHL club to let him go next year.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, tony5775 said:

The next four games are going to be very tough games. If we some how come out of those with a winning record, them MB will most likely make a couple of moves. 

But no way is Sergachev coming back to this team. 

I honestly don’t see sergachev coming back either, but It’s fun to daydream.  Ultimately I think and somewhat hope MTL.stands pat and continues to draft the cup champ of the future

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I honestly don’t see sergachev coming back either, but It’s fun to daydream.  Ultimately I think and somewhat hope MTL.stands pat and continues to draft the cup champ of the future

I agree it is probably a long shot hoping to get Sergachev back. I kind of disagree with your last statement though, We may not be a contender this year or next but the year after is a possibility with the right pieces (#1 LD and scoring winger). I don't think we need to continue to use the draft to assemble the next cup champ, we actually need to try and get the pieces through FA and trades while still drafting and developing Future core players to build a legacy not just a one and done cup winner.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Eklund saying we are targeting Mats Zuccarello.  

As always, take it with a grain of salt but there have been a lot of RW linked to us by a number of different sources.  I wouldnt be surprised to see us add a guy like him.  Even though i freaking hate the guy, he's a gamer, has good playoff experience and he would make our RW depth better.   Would only be interested for a minimal return though.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to Jimmy Murphy, the Canadiens might try and land another depth forward from the Kings before the deadline. 

Murphy reports that both the Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens have expressed interest in Kings forward Carl Hagelin. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

According to Jimmy Murphy, the Canadiens might try and land another depth forward from the Kings before the deadline. 

Murphy reports that both the Boston Bruins and Montreal Canadiens have expressed interest in Kings forward Carl Hagelin. 

Totally the type of move I could see MB making.  

I think he will (potentially) do only a handful of things:

- nothing

- acquire another depth forward (like Hagelin) for a minimal return

- trade a guy like benn for a 2nd or 3rd round pick (if he's only worth a 4th or less, i think MB keeps him)

- makes a hockey move (this is very unlikely but if a young top pairing LD falls into his lap... maybe?) I dont think he wants to mess with chemistry

- trades hudon.  I hope he doesnt. I dont think the return will be substantial (4th rounder?) and I still think he can contribute to this team. 

 

With the additional of Folin I dont think we're even going to add anyone on defense.  I mean on the right we're now set with Weber, Petry, Juulsen (if he comes back), Benn and Folin.  Sure we could use a top pairing LD but unless he's better than Mete & Reilly there's no real point. Kulak is solid on the 3rd and guys like Alzner, Ouellet and Olofsson (if he comes back) offer depth options.  If he can get a guy like Reilly for a cheap like we did last year, then so be it, but I doubt there's much he can/will do on the blueline.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally think TB still sees great value in Sergachev. He had a very good year last year, but it was still a bit of a surprise that he was ahead of the curve. I think they see this season as his just kind of needing more time to develop. He's still far ahead of where most D men are at his age. If Kotkaniemi ended up with 45 points this year and then only got 35 next season, I don't think we'd call it quits on the kid and be okay with trading him and Alzner for peanuts. TB will be patient with Sergachev, and IMO, if we wanted to re-acquire him, we'd be looking at a 1st rounder and something else going back the other way.

In any case, I don't think TB is looking to trade away Sergachev anyways. They'll want to deal away players taking up cap space, yes, but not at the expense of trading a cheaper player like Sergachev when they're already going to be tight against the cap after the deadline. If they trade Sergachev but then have to acquire another veteran to fill his hole and pay that guy more, they're no further ahead. Rumor is they will be in on Simmonds, and their D is already decent as is. From our roster, I could see them being interested in Gallagher, Tatar, maybe Shaw if we were to retain money... don't see big interest in much else.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Despite Bruce Boudreau's claim the Wild will make the playoffs, Wild owner Craig Leopold has given GM Paul Fenton the green light to make trades to re-build if he thinks that's best. With Koivu out for the year, speculation is the Wild maybe sellers. Pierre Lebrun notes players like Coyle, Granlund, Staal, and Brodin could be available. I wonder whether the Habs will circle back to Brodin, a player we were rumored to be interested in last summer as part of a Galchenyuk trade before he went to Phoenix.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Despite Bruce Boudreau's claim the Wild will make the playoffs, Wild owner Craig Leopold has given GM Paul Fenton the green light to make trades to re-build if he thinks that's best. With Koivu out for the year, speculation is the Wild maybe sellers. Pierre Lebrun notes players like Coyle, Granlund, Staal, and Brodin could be available. I wonder whether the Habs will circle back to Brodin, a player we were rumored to be interested in last summer as part of a Galchenyuk trade before he went to Phoenix.

Brodin would be a solid pickup but what would it cost us?  Presumably a younger defensman & a pick?   Would Fleury + 2nd do it? Fleury + 1st?   at 25 he'd be a key cog but I think he's more like a solid #4 or possibly #3 dman. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Brodin would be a solid pickup but what would it cost us?  Presumably a younger defensman & a pick?   Would Fleury + 2nd do it? Fleury + 1st?   at 25 he'd be a key cog but I think he's more like a solid #4 or possibly #3 dman. 

Agreed. Brodin isn't a guy who brings a lot of offence. He's likely a #3 defenceman, but he still has a decent amount of value as a trade chip. I think Minny's going to want a 1st rounder or a top prospect as part of the deal. I'd wonder if they have interest in a player like Ryan Poehling, who is from Minnesota and plays his college hockey there. Seems like a pretty natural fit in terms of their ask. Is that worth it to us to give him up for a Brodin? I'd personally think not. To me, if you're giving up Poehling, you absolutely need a top pairing left-handed D man coming back, not a 2nd pairing guy. Otherwise, I'd be more excited by what Poehling could bring in a year or two.

I think if you can convince Minny to take a package of a 2nd rounder, Olofsson, and Fleury for example, then yes, I think you do it. But I'd be hard-pressed to deal our 1st rounder nor our best prospects for a 2nd-pairing player.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some  discusions about Lewis being available from LA and this would also make some sense considering Bergevin likes to get players with playoff experience when making these deadline acquisitions. This would be another fairly cheap purchase but now that we have made one deal with LA it is less likely we will make another.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think if you can convince Minny to take a package of a 2nd rounder, Olofsson, and Fleury for example, then yes, I think you do it. But I'd be hard-pressed to deal our 1st rounder nor our best prospects for a 2nd-pairing player.

I agree with this, no way you trade any of our top tier prospects or a first rounder. We are in a good position to have a really really good  team in a couple of years.

The only way I would even think of trading our first rounder if the trade meant we had to reach the semi finals. That way the pick is almost a second anyway.

We could just as easily be out of the playoffs next week and looking at a lottery pick which could end up being a top ten. 

I would still take Duncan Keith for Hudon or Evans, Benn and a second rounder.  Cap hit is not that bad. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting story out of Edm, where Puljujarvi's agent has publicly stated that he doesn't think staying in Edmonton is in the best interest of his client... wonder if this changes the Oilers' approach to trading him. Apparently they're open to trading him, but reports are that their ask is not reasonable, hence why nothing has happened.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.