H_T_L

2018-19 Rumour thread

394 posts in this topic

56 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

To a certain degree yes but Nylander also knows that they have to resign 12 other players next year so he may be traded anyway especially with the way Kapanen is playing in his place. Also I dont beleive Kapanen, Gardner and Ennis are waiver exempt next year so there is no way they risk sending any of them down until a trade can be made for Nylander if they match an offer for him. And with the way we have drafted in the past why not give up the picks if you can sign Nylander to a sheet. Give him his 8x8 and see what the Leafs do! If they match who cares nothing lost if not we give up picks that we can trade players for to get some back anyway. I know the 8x8 is a lot but given the other contracts MB has handed out at least this one would be worth it.

That's what I've been thinking too, but not for 8X8. 

14 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

That's what I've been thinking too, but not for 8X8. 

It's a moot point because I don't see it happening, but the most we could offer is a 7 year deal.

Oh to be honest I know it won't happen but we were just talking about what we would like to see happen

11 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Oh to be honest I know it won't happen but we were just talking about what we would like to see happen

Bottom line is MB will do what MB wants and I very much doubt he is chasing after Nylander.

2 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Bottom line is MB will do what MB wants and I very much doubt he is chasing after Nylander.

Any Gm worth his salt will look at all options when they become available. 

10 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Any Gm worth his salt will look at all options when they become available. 

Absolutely 

Darren Dreger floated a theory on TSN that Nazim Kadri might be the odd-man out pending Toronto's "cap crunch." Is Kadri a player you would be interested in? It's all hypothetical, really... but he is a decent center signed to a very, very reasonable contract. I could see Toronto wanting to keep Nylander over Kadri, for certain.

52 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Darren Dreger floated a theory on TSN that Nazim Kadri might be the odd-man out pending Toronto's "cap crunch." Is Kadri a player you would be interested in? It's all hypothetical, really... but he is a decent center signed to a very, very reasonable contract. I could see Toronto wanting to keep Nylander over Kadri, for certain.

Kadri's older by 7 years, so IMO, he would be expendable for the laffers. Personally, I don't like the guy (hate comes to mind), and my wife would prolly switch teams if he ever came to the Habs. She REALLY hates the guy. 

53 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

There's no way Dubas trades Kadri within the Division without asking for a ransom similar to what Buffalo gave up for Ryan O'Rielly.  Centres always price out differently from wingers.  Especially a 2-way beast like Kadri.  You can always move Nylander to the Wing.  The problem with trading for either of those guys is Dubas will want a big piece in return and we don't really have one to give.  Bergevin needs to find takers on Jordie Benn and Karl Alzner, especially once Weber returns.  Despite the cautiously optimistic start, there is still a lot of work to be done with this roster.

14 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Kadri's older by 7 years, so IMO, he would be expendable for the laffers. Personally, I don't like the guy (hate comes to mind), and my wife would prolly switch teams if he ever came to the Habs. She REALLY hates the guy. 

I would rather have the guy we hate to play against on our team.  I would trade for Kadri if the price was right.  The thing is, despite the slow start in production offensively, Kadri still possesses value to Dubas and Babcock.  He's still a key cog for the Leafs without the puck.  This is the biggest reason why Bergevin shouldn't trade for him.  He'll get fleeced if he does.  I like Domi at centre for us.  He's a perfect fit on Bergevin's Lunch Pail Habs.  Patches BTW, 2 goals, 2 POINTS, in 9 games, Thomas Tatar, 3 goals, 8 points in 9 games.  Add to the return on patches of Nick Suzuki and a 2nd, and that deal looks much better for the Habs.  Bergevin still has bigger fish to fry like finding a taker for the contract of Alzner.

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

When he was younger - maybe 4 - 5 years ago - i was actually quite interested in acquiring him.  I dislike the yapping & such but i also think part of that is my hate of the leafs.

I just think he's too old now. at 28 years old he's still got lots of time left in the tank but this team should be getting younger, not older.     Now, if they offered us Kadri for say Alzner, sure, im all for it :D  but in a realistic trade where they would likely want young, cheap talent (ie Lehkhonen or something) id have no interest in Kadri. 

Kadri as a stop gap until our kids are ready to make an impact would be OK only if it's a short term deal and we give up no youth  or futures to get him. I don't see any of that happening. They'll want top dollar in return for him and likely a premium in division. Pass.

Kyle Dubas scouting SJ-Car tonight... wouldn't be surprised at all to see him deal Nylander to Carolina for a D man. Carolina has a wealth of D and could make good use of Nylander.

8 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Kyle Dubas scouting SJ-Car tonight... wouldn't be surprised at all to see him deal Nylander to Carolina for a D man. Carolina has a wealth of D and could make good use of Nylander.

If only we had a RHD  they coveted!!  

17 hours ago, maas_art said:

If only we had a RHD  they coveted!!  

The problem with our RHD they covet is Weber is highly paid and it doesn't help them with their cap space for next year. Now if you were able to send Weber and picks there for say Nylander or Kapanen and Horton and pick up what's left on Kessle's contract they are retaining maybe that works but it leaves us worse off defensively

So here is a food for thought question, we know that the Oilers are looking for a RHD and we have a depth at the position. So do we offer up both Juulsen and Alzner for Nugent-Hopkins. I know that at first glance it seems like a definite no from the Oilers but let's break it down. RNH makes 6 mil Juulsen is at 825k so they get cap relief and a skilled RHD which they definitely need. Alzner is an add on for both teams we dump him and retain 25% of his contract for 2 years that still leaves the Oilers with between 3-4 mil in cap space which currently they are at the cap limit. Then we could bring someone up like Learnout, Fleury or Brook to play the right side 3rd pairing or even though not ideal for a LHD to play the right side you could bring in either Kulak or Ollofsen.

Edited by campabee82

10 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

So here is a food for thought question, we know that the Oilers are looking for a RHD and we have a depth at the position. So do we offer up both Juulsen and Alzner for Nugent-Hopkins. I know that at first glance it seems like a definite no from the Oilers but let's break it down. RNH makes 6 mil Juulsen is at 825k so they get cap relief and a skilled RHD which they definitely need. Alzner is an add on for both teams we dump him and retain 25% of his contract for 2 years that still leaves the Oilers with between 3-4 mil in cap space which currently they are at the cap limit. Then we could bring someone up like Learnout, Fleury or Brook to play the right side 3rd pairing or even though not ideal for a LHD to play the right side you could bring in either Kulak or Ollofsen.

Personally, I wouldn't do it. As I've said, we need help on D and we're less desperate for forwards/centers than we were a year ago. Juulsen has made great leaps and projects as a top 4 D man for the next 8 years. Why trade him? We can't bring up Brook this year, Lernout is a 3rd pairing guy at best, and Fleury only just turned pro. None of them could realistically replace Juulsen. I think if we're going to trade a D man that we're better off trying to trade Weber later this season.

13 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Personally, I wouldn't do it. As I've said, we need help on D and we're less desperate for forwards/centers than we were a year ago. Juulsen has made great leaps and projects as a top 4 D man for the next 8 years. Why trade him? We can't bring up Brook this year, Lernout is a 3rd pairing guy at best, and Fleury only just turned pro. None of them could realistically replace Juulsen. I think if we're going to trade a D man that we're better off trying to trade Weber later this season.

Your right on all accounts, I like Juulsen as well but looking at our Centre position this year we still need help. Domi IS killing it but Danault should be a 3rd or 4th liner can't move Kotka up to first and wouldn't split Domi-Drouin-Lehkonen so would like to get someone to fill that 1st centre roll soon. Then once Kotka is ready to take on the roll you can move RNH to second line and have a Drouin-RNH-Domi second line. And Byron-Hudon-Lehkonen and Peca-Danault-Armia as a 4th.

D could look something like

Mete-Petry

Reilly-Ouellett

Benn-Learout/Kulak/Olofsson

At least until Weber gets back

Then would be 

Mete-Weber

Reilly-Petry

Kulak-Olofsson/Learnout

Which is not bad either

9 hours ago, campabee82 said:

9 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Yeah im out too.  For me Mete, Juulsen and Reilly are all no-go's on trades unless we were say, getting a top pairing DMan in return for one of them.  There's a number of forwards Id consider trading if the return was right (and id certainly do anything i could to get out from under Alzner) but Juulsen is a guy Id be very very unlikely to trade.

I would be ok with moving any of our vet dmen though. Weber, Petry, Alzner, Benn, Schlemko - any (although id likely keep at least one of Weber or Petry) as i think their value is not going up at this stage & we still may get some value from any one of them. 

10 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yeah im out too.  For me Mete, Juulsen and Reilly are all no-go's on trades unless we were say, getting a top pairing DMan in return for one of them.  There's a number of forwards Id consider trading if the return was right (and id certainly do anything i could to get out from under Alzner) but Juulsen is a guy Id be very very unlikely to trade.

I would be ok with moving any of our vet dmen though. Weber, Petry, Alzner, Benn, Schlemko - any (although id likely keep at least one of Weber or Petry) as i think their value is not going up at this stage & we still may get some value from any one of them. 

Fair enough guys, just didn't think we could get away with trading Petry at this point in time because we would then be really weak on the right side until Weber returns. 

So what about trading Benn, Alzner, Petry to Carolina for De Hann and Peace, we get back a  RHD and a LHD and they get 2 LHD and a RHD they are in need of LHD as they only have 2 and as far as cap friendly goes Petry and Alzner match up evenly to Pesce and De Hann so adding Benn would just be a bonus to entice them to make the trade.

48 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

So what about trading Benn, Alzner, Petry to Carolina for De Hann and Peace, we get back a  RHD and a LHD and they get 2 LHD and a RHD they are in need of LHD as they only have 2 and as far as cap friendly goes Petry and Alzner match up evenly to Pesce and De Hann so adding Benn would just be a bonus to entice them to make the trade.

Or Scherbak and Petry for Nurse Benning and Puljujarvi. Both Puljujarvi and Scherbak have been healthy scratches most of the year, Petry offsets Nurse and Benning we may have to add a 4th or 5th round pick next year but I believe it's a good trade for all. Then we just dump Alzner, Benn and Schlemko for picks probably retaining part of Alzner contract. Carolina may take Alzner for a 6th round pick straight up.

Edited by campabee82

I don't think we need to be in any panic to trade Alzner. If we keep playing him when players are hurt in more of a limited role. He doesn't get exposed as much and as the season goes after the start of the year and closer to the trade deadline there will probably be teams looking for depth at D and may be willing to give more for him. Also it will be later in the year with less time left on his contract. I don't see the need to "dump" him just to do it. That is doing what MB's done all along trade low. Let him actually gain some value. Later in the year teams are always looking for depth on D.  

11 hours ago, campabee82 said:

11 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Or Scherbak and Petry for Nurse Benning and Puljujarvi. Both Puljujarvi and Scherbak have been healthy scratches most of the year, Petry offsets Nurse and Benning we may have to add a 4th or 5th round pick next year but I believe it's a good trade for all. Then we just dump Alzner, Benn and Schlemko for picks probably retaining part of Alzner contract. Carolina may take Alzner for a 6th round pick straight up.

In the first scenario I dont see Carolina giving up DeHaan so soon after signing him. I assume by Peace you mean Pesce?  I dont think there's any way they give up those two for our three - even though Petry is probably the best of the bunch right now, Alzner is a negative value and Pesce could well turn out as good as Petry. Benn probably wouldnt do much either way.

In the edmonton scenario you might get a bite but i think it would really come down to how our scouts feel about Nurse and Puljujarvi.  As you said, an argument can be made that Scherbak = Puljujarvi.  So the trade amounts to Petry for Nurse & Benning.  I dont know if edmonton would do that part.  Maybe  Petry + Scherback for Nurse + Puljuvarvi.

As much as it would hurt to lose Petry, he's turning 31 in a month and with career numbers last year and 9 points in 10 games to start this year so his value in a trade will likely never be higher.  Will he still be a top talent once the team is actually ready to compete? or is it better to turn him into younger assets.  We know (pretty much for a fact) that MB wont trade Weber, so keeping both well into their 30s doesnt make a lot of sense. 

26 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I don't think we need to be in any panic to trade Alzner. If we keep playing him when players are hurt in more of a limited role. He doesn't get exposed as much and as the season goes after the start of the year and closer to the trade deadline there will probably be teams looking for depth at D and may be willing to give more for him. Also it will be later in the year with less time left on his contract. I don't see the need to "dump" him just to do it. That is doing what MB's done all along trade low. Let him actually gain some value. Later in the year teams are always looking for depth on D.  

This is actually a pretty smart plan.  By slotting him in when there are injuries, he is building up his value (at least so it isnt so much of a negative) and more importantly putting some doubt in other GMs (ie "hey maybe if we brought him in to our system he'd do ok?")  which is really all you need to pull of a trade.   You're never going to get much for him but if we can just get out from under that contract without taking back a terrible one in the process,  it would be worth it.