The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

How Long Hve You Been A Habs Fan?

kinot-2

First off, if the Mods or Admins want to move this thread, go for it. IMO, this thread should be here, instead of the Lounge.  Habberwacky made me think of this (thank you Habberwacky). 

I've been a Habs fan for over 55 years (longer than some of you have been alive). When I decided that I was a Habs fan was in 1959 (imagine a B&W Tv),  The Habs were playing the  Laffs, ( and swept) them). My father and younger brother (he later switched to Chicago) were Laffs fans, and my older brother and I were Habs fans ( and have been ever since) . Ever since, I've been a Habs fan.

So, how long have you been a Habs fan?

I'm from the black and white era also and i'll die a Habs fan. Seen the best and now witnessing the worst of this teams history. Painfull to watch and although I don't support this current management, i'll always be true to the jersey and the boys who wear it. At least I have my memories.

must have been '67 / '68 since I started watching hockey, my dad was a leafs fan, so was my brother, but I was set on Montreal, their game just looked better, .. or maybe it was just the jerseys, .. 

but I still recall the impact of some of the great players of that time, .. Hull, Mikita , Keon, Orr, these types of players is what makes hockey great, and because of the speed on the ice, nearly always (over)exciting to watch.

In 1968 my father and mother watched our first Habs game together. They made it clear to me in terms that I could understand as a child back then, that the CH was the classiest, most skilled and most well managed organization in the NHL and worthy of my respect, and that I should continue to support them as a fan.

I've never looked back since. The CH is my pride and joy in hockey. The tradition of fandom carries on in my family, to my brothers, sister, nieces, nephews and my own son. All in the family so to speak.

The CH is who we continue to cheer for. 

Certainly not for this current abysmal GM and Owner who are bringing the CH down and bringing shame to this organization.

(The Stanley Cup is the key. Bring it back)

9 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I'm from the black and white era also and i'll die a Habs fan. Seen the best and now witnessing the worst of this teams history. Painfull to watch and although I don't support this current management, i'll always be true to the jersey and the boys who wear it. At least I have my memories.

I was the antenna for my 3 older brothers in the black and white era so early 1960's but had to pass regular tests on pevious Habs players from the 40's and 50's. Pretty intense as when a cousin moved to Toronto I believe he may have been disowned by a significant portion of the family. I remember the devastation when they pulled the goalie halfway through the third against the  Hawks I think in an attempt to make the playoffs. Listened on radio. Other years that we have missed stilll suck but that night was crazy. 

since I knew what hockey was I wanted to play it, watch it, talk about it, everything. My dad is a habs and red wings fan, so I wasnt indoctrinated into leafland. I loved the habs jersey and  I wanted to be a goalie and Patrick Roy won the vezina and made it to the cup in 89, I guess thats where Id have to say it started for me. I was in grade 1. 

I got the amazing book "the Habs" by Dick Irvin as a birthday present,and so around 10 years old I really got to deeply appreciate the history and legend of this franchise and thats where I became truly emotionally invested until now.

The scummy way this regime operates right now is nothing short of a disgrace and a spit in the face to all our amazing tradition and reputation. I wish I could meet bergevin face to face just once so I could tell him that. then maybe give him a rock bottom and a peoples elbow

12 minutes ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Since birth really lol. It’s in my DNA.  I can’t help but cheer even when the team is being gutted.

You can read about it in my blog.

Saturday Night in Saskatchewan.

You have a blog? How can I access it? 

I grew up as a leafs fan because that was the sweater I got at Xmas. My brother got the Habs jersey. It stayed that way until about 1967 when the Leafs spoiled the party during the World's fair (Expo). I still followed the Leafs (and still do with part of my heart) until the early 70's when the Habs had some great teams... stuck with them ever since. I am now a Canada (our Canadian teams) fan with the Habs at the top of my list.

Good post Kinot2. I will turn 58 in October with my dad - we have the same name and the same birthday, October 23. As for my love for the Canadiens goes, I started following them just before my teens. As I have said many times, I rejoiced in the exploits of Maurice Richard. My friends and I used to try to speculate on the number of days between his retirement and my birth, especially when the first thing that he told me was that he indeed retire before I was born. When I first started following hockey, Henri Richard was still playing. I don't remember Beliveau so much. As far as following the current Habs goes, the last few seasons feel like a cruel joke. For those of us who grew up during all those championship teams, this has been a bitter pill to swallow. There is no way or excuse for this franchise to be this bad. Someday they will return to the top. But to expect another long dynasty in this day and age is expecting too much. The recent Red Wings dynasty could be the last great one.

Sometime in the early 90s. I was about 8 years old and got this giant commemorative book about the history of the Cup. The near ubiquitous presence of the Habs on nearly every page was so mysterious to me. Then, one afternoon I was flipping through it at my grandmother's house (she's from Lévis), and she told me all kinds of stories about the Rocket. Been hooked, for better and worse, ever since.

• H_T_L locked this topic