Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HabsRuleForever

The Injury Thread.

181 posts in this topic

Welp.  There's that.

I mean realistically it's not like Bergevin was going to trade him anyway, but that sure takes the fun out of trying to come up with interesting theoretical trade proposals.

What a surprise, who would've thought that players become more susceptible to injury once they're a little older?

Great news for the tank though! We may be well out of playoff contention once Weber is back with the team in December/January.

Looks like CP has more excuses this preseason 

So we can shut down the Weber for Nylander + theory :)

He , theoretically should be back end of Dec / Jan - the  season  will have been toast by October  anyhow

In other non injury related news

subban.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=826&h=

Yikes. I'm sure he'll be fine going forward though, NHL defensemen in their mid-30s are well known for easily recovering from two major surgeries in a row. 

I'm no doctor but one needs to wonder if one injury led to the next injury. Did Weber need to adjust his skating because of the knee injury which caused his achilles injury?

39 minutes ago, Noob616 said:

Yikes. I'm sure he'll be fine going forward though, NHL defensemen in their mid-30s are well known for easily recovering from two major surgeries in a row. 

Oh, thank goodness! That's good to know! :lol:

BRING ON THE TANK!

1 hour ago, Manatee-X said:

Welp.  There's that.

I mean realistically it's not like Bergevin was going to trade him anyway, but that sure takes the fun out of trying to come up with interesting theoretical trade proposals.

Ugg.  Tell me about it.

The silver lining?  Maybe now we speed up the rebuild process, move more vets - and once Weber is back (and healthy) we actually consider trading him.

Interestingly, this surgery happened a few weeks ago but "The Canadiens did not release the news sooner because of the complexity of the situation as well as the upcoming NHL Draft and free agency period."

So we've known about this for a while & one would assume this has played partially into MB's plans (maybe thats why he didnt go hard after DeHaan for example).

Great! Just what we need - another excuse for MB.  :mad:

The worst part is that Geoff Molson preached to everyone that the Habs would be more transparent this year. So what happens? Marc Bergevin gets up to the microphone on July 1st and tells everyone this team is hoping to get to the playoffs and that they have the tools to do it. He doesn't make any mention of Weber, even though he knows that surgery had happened two weeks before. So there goes transparency. Some might say Bergevin is just doing his job, and no, no one expects him to announce they're going to suck. But he could easily have mentioned Weber. He could easily have said the year would be challenging. He could easily have said the plan was to develop younger players. None of that. More lies from the king of lies.

20 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

The worst part is that Geoff Molson preached to everyone that the Habs would be more transparent this year. So what happens? Marc Bergevin gets up to the microphone on July 1st and tells everyone this team is hoping to get to the playoffs and that they have the tools to do it. He doesn't make any mention of Weber, even though he knows that surgery had happened two weeks before. So there goes transparency. Some might say Bergevin is just doing his job, and no, no one expects him to announce they're going to suck. But he could easily have mentioned Weber. He could easily have said the year would be challenging. He could easily have said the plan was to develop younger players. None of that. More lies from the king of lies.

Yup and Molson is equally as guilty for empowering MB and keeping him employed. What a joke.

Hopefully we don't overreact to this, and just stay the course...gives more ice time to young guys and also gives us the worst center and defence in the league which will hopefully accelerate the rebuild.  Its going to for sure be a tough year coming up, but hopefully it will be worth it down the road.

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

2 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Yup and Molson is equally as guilty for empowering MB and keeping him employed. What a joke.

Heading into the summer i could (barely) see the argument that "MB has this inside track on Tavares" or "its too close to the draft to bring in a whole new crew but what the excuse now?  Tavares wouldnt even listen to an offer from us, we've been lied to over and over, Mb seems to have messed up the pacioretty situation and is not admitting a rebuild. 

Geoff, enough is enough. Do you not see what is happening to this team?? 

Really tough break for Shea if that report is accurate, let's hope he recovers well. There's also no need to rush anything given the current state of affairs.

Less miles going on the odometer I suppose

I know Dr. Mulder is saying that the surgery is expected to provide a long-term solution to Shea's knee problem and they expect him to be back to 100% after the recovery period... but this all just feels like a player whose body is starting to let him down. This contract is becoming depressing. How long is he signed for? Until 2025-2026?

15 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I know Dr. Mulder is saying that the surgery is expected to provide a long-term solution to Shea's knee problem and they expect him to be back to 100% after the recovery period... but this all just feels like a player whose body is starting to let him down. This contract is becoming depressing. How long is he signed for? Until 2025-2026?

The length of the contract actually matters less. His last few years are 1M salary seasons, so he may decide not to play at all and if he does, he's probably an easy salary dump to a team that wants to hit the cap floor. The problem is that there just aren't that many useful years left from him at this point. This season is pretty much a write-off, so he's got maybe 4 actual contract years left, and it's not clear if he will rebound to pre-injury form (which was already a drop-off from his peak years). We may end up with a Markov, who is still useful but not a first-pairing guy and with very little trade value because everyone's afraid he's going to break down again. Weber has had two serious injuries back to back, so he's going to need to play for at least a year to prove to everyone he's still productive. Bottom line is that he's probably not tradeable for the next two seasons, after which his value is probably low. What a disaster MB has built.

I know he's been with the Habs since 1963 but time to get a NEW head physican  .  Sounds like MB

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/shea-webers-knee-surgery-raises-questions-about-canadiens

When asked what he would say to people questioning the medical staff’s handling of the veteran defenceman, Mulder responded: “First of all, it’s a very unusual (foot) injury. No one has had a great deal of experience with it. I think if I was criticizing myself, I think we were a little bit slow to recognize the seriousness of the tendon injury. And then once we recognized it, we sought a second opinion in Canada and the second opinion didn’t have any experience operating. They referred us to Green Bay, to Dr. (Robert) Anderson. He’s done more (foot surgeries) than anybody in North America.”

Mulder was also asked why Weber’s meniscus damage to his knee hadn’t been spotted on earlier MRIs.

“We had three different radiologists read the MRI and I looked at it myself and I didn’t detect it,” he said. “It’s just that we’re all human beings and radiology isn’t a perfect science. I wish it was, but it’s not.”

5 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

The length of the contract actually matters less. His last few years are 1M salary seasons, so he may decide not to play at all and if he does, he's probably an easy salary dump to a team that wants to hit the cap floor. The problem is that there just aren't that many useful years left from him at this point. This season is pretty much a write-off, so he's got maybe 4 actual contract years left, and it's not clear if he will rebound to pre-injury form (which was already a drop-off from his peak years). We may end up with a Markov, who is still useful but not a first-pairing guy and with very little trade value because everyone's afraid he's going to break down again. Weber has had two serious injuries back to back, so he's going to need to play for at least a year to prove to everyone he's still productive. Bottom line is that he's probably not tradeable for the next two seasons, after which his value is probably low. What a disaster MB has built.

I always hear this for these deals, but how many teams actually struggle to get to the cap floor? I can't think of many deals where teams take on a bad contract to get the cap floor unless they also get some form of "payment" for taking on the bad contract. This also assumes LTIR is optional (I couldn't find out if this is the case or not) since I think the risk of Weber finishing his contract on LTIR is much higher than him wanting to play for a million a season as a 40 year old.

LTIR is interesting because it doesn't count against the cap during the season, but can cause issues during the offseason or when planning for future years. Teams are willing to take LTIR players not making much actual money (or with it insured) but they generally want something in return.  So I think the risk of getting stuck with the contract is low, but be prepared to give up up-to a first-rounder to get rid of it.

But ya the biggest concern here is just that Weber doesn't have a lot of useful hockey left in him.

Everybody take a second to consider what weber is gonna look like after all this.

He was already too slow for todays game 2 years ago.

Jake Evans knocked out cold and stretchered off in the rookie game tonight. He crossed the blue line with the puck and dumped it in, then took a forearm to the neck/face. Technically not an illegal hit because it wasn't blindside nor was it late, but still high and unnecessary. Evans appeared to hit his head onto the ice, and it looked like it was that second impact which knocked him out. He's one of the few guys in rookie camp with an actual shot at making the Habs, so it's a tough blow.