Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigTed3

2019 NHL Draft

3 posts in this topic

Everyone knows about Jack Hughes, but this 2019 draft is stacking up to be very deep. A lot of scouts estimate there will be a good 10-12 players in the draft who will end up being impact guys (1st line forwards, 1st pairing D men, etc.). So for most teams that miss the playoffs, there's a good chance you end up with a really solid prospect. With all the talk about whether we should be pushing for the playoffs, the "consolation prize" of finishing near the bottom could be huge this year. Here are a few players of interest:

1. Dyan Cozens... big Canadian center, plays like a power forward and can skate and score. Comparables have included Jeff Carter, Leon Draisaitl, Claude Giroux, etc.

2. Kaapo Kakko... elite Finnish forward, likened by some to Patrik Laine, with great puck control skill and an excellent shot. Projected to be a top line sniper.

3. Kirby Dach... another Canadian center, big guy, good playmaking skills, good vision, smart player, strong defensive awareness for a younger guy...

4. Peyton Krebs... plays LW and C, good two-way player with scoring ability.

5. Philip Broberg... left-handed D man but plays the right side for now. Projected to be the next great Swedish defenceman, with an excellent stride and offensive skill but also able to play a physical game. Maybe not as good as Dahlin, but he projects as a first-pairing guy.

6. Bowen Byram... LHD, solid all-around game with offensive ability, compared to Morgan Rielly.

7. Vasili Podkolzin... Russian winger with powerful stride and great shot.

8. Ryan Suzuki... younger brother of our current prospect Nick Suzuki. Similar style, smart two-way center with good puck distribution skill, compared to RNH.

And still other guys like Raphael Lavoie, Alex Turcotte, Tobias Bjornfot, Alex Newhook, and so on. I'd love to get into the top 7-8 this year, I think that's about the cutoff of that top tier of prospects that will be in the NHL and making an impact within a year or two of their draft.

I honestly think this team is going to surprise us and we are going to end up a bubble team. Maybe the last team to make the playoffs.  I think 95% of that is going to be Price who i think is going to play with a huge chip on his shoulder, but I have a feeling that the new coaches are not going to allow people like Schlemko & Alzner take the team down.  I could be totally wrong but i get the sense we may finally ice the best team we have at our disposal, not just based on what MB has paid them. 

So as much as Id like to #LoseforHughes (and long term it would be sooooooo much better for us) I think the team has other plans.  

Assuming we dont make the playoffs & end up with a top 10 pick, Id love to snag a top PMD.  I still believe you draft  BPA but with the influx of centres and the fact that a lot of our best young forwards on the roster are wingers,  we're probably ok up front.  On the blueline we have positions 3-6 covered easily.  Can one of Mete or Juulsen step in as a top 2? Maybe but Id sure feel better with a guy like Broberg or  Bowen Byram or Mikko Kokkonen in our system. 

On 9/21/2018 at 11:16 AM, maas_art said:

I honestly think this team is going to surprise us and we are going to end up a bubble team. Maybe the last team to make the playoffs.  I think 95% of that is going to be Price who i think is going to play with a huge chip on his shoulder, but I have a feeling that the new coaches are not going to allow people like Schlemko & Alzner take the team down.  I could be totally wrong but i get the sense we may finally ice the best team we have at our disposal, not just based on what MB has paid them. 

So as much as Id like to #LoseforHughes (and long term it would be sooooooo much better for us) I think the team has other plans.  

Assuming we dont make the playoffs & end up with a top 10 pick, Id love to snag a top PMD.  I still believe you draft  BPA but with the influx of centres and the fact that a lot of our best young forwards on the roster are wingers,  we're probably ok up front.  On the blueline we have positions 3-6 covered easily.  Can one of Mete or Juulsen step in as a top 2? Maybe but Id sure feel better with a guy like Broberg or  Bowen Byram or Mikko Kokkonen in our system. 

Bang on with your assessment Maas.

Looking at where we are a few months later and with the paucity of good trade options for a puck-moving LHD, that remains our biggest need. Yes, we have Romanov in the pipeline but the bureaucracy of getting a Russian player over to the NHL makes it harder and he's likely 2-3 years away from suiting up for us, barring a surprise. So while I still believe in the best player available approach to drafting, the Habs definitely need to have their eyes open for LH D men. Funnily enough, given how desperately we've been looking for them until recently, this draft seems to be pretty deep at center and with more question marks on defence. But here are some guys who might be on our radar, depending on where we end up drafting:

- Bowen Byram

- Philip Broberg

- Matthew Robertson

- Cam York

- Alex Vlasic

- Ville Heinola

- Ilya Moronov

Byram remains the class of the draft at LHD, with Broberg not far behind, but Robertson and Heinola seem to have moved up the rankings a decent amount recently. Also nice to note that Columbus has been sliding down the standings a bit and may be looking at dealing Panarin or Bobrovsky. If they miss the playoffs, that 2nd round pick of theirs that we have becomes more valuable.