BigTed3

2019 NHL Draft

433 posts in this topic

Everyone knows about Jack Hughes, but this 2019 draft is stacking up to be very deep. A lot of scouts estimate there will be a good 10-12 players in the draft who will end up being impact guys (1st line forwards, 1st pairing D men, etc.). So for most teams that miss the playoffs, there's a good chance you end up with a really solid prospect. With all the talk about whether we should be pushing for the playoffs, the "consolation prize" of finishing near the bottom could be huge this year. Here are a few players of interest:

1. Dyan Cozens... big Canadian center, plays like a power forward and can skate and score. Comparables have included Jeff Carter, Leon Draisaitl, Claude Giroux, etc.

2. Kaapo Kakko... elite Finnish forward, likened by some to Patrik Laine, with great puck control skill and an excellent shot. Projected to be a top line sniper.

3. Kirby Dach... another Canadian center, big guy, good playmaking skills, good vision, smart player, strong defensive awareness for a younger guy...

4. Peyton Krebs... plays LW and C, good two-way player with scoring ability.

5. Philip Broberg... left-handed D man but plays the right side for now. Projected to be the next great Swedish defenceman, with an excellent stride and offensive skill but also able to play a physical game. Maybe not as good as Dahlin, but he projects as a first-pairing guy.

6. Bowen Byram... LHD, solid all-around game with offensive ability, compared to Morgan Rielly.

7. Vasili Podkolzin... Russian winger with powerful stride and great shot.

8. Ryan Suzuki... younger brother of our current prospect Nick Suzuki. Similar style, smart two-way center with good puck distribution skill, compared to RNH.

And still other guys like Raphael Lavoie, Alex Turcotte, Tobias Bjornfot, Alex Newhook, and so on. I'd love to get into the top 7-8 this year, I think that's about the cutoff of that top tier of prospects that will be in the NHL and making an impact within a year or two of their draft.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I honestly think this team is going to surprise us and we are going to end up a bubble team. Maybe the last team to make the playoffs.  I think 95% of that is going to be Price who i think is going to play with a huge chip on his shoulder, but I have a feeling that the new coaches are not going to allow people like Schlemko & Alzner take the team down.  I could be totally wrong but i get the sense we may finally ice the best team we have at our disposal, not just based on what MB has paid them. 

So as much as Id like to #LoseforHughes (and long term it would be sooooooo much better for us) I think the team has other plans.  

 

Assuming we dont make the playoffs & end up with a top 10 pick, Id love to snag a top PMD.  I still believe you draft  BPA but with the influx of centres and the fact that a lot of our best young forwards on the roster are wingers,  we're probably ok up front.  On the blueline we have positions 3-6 covered easily.  Can one of Mete or Juulsen step in as a top 2? Maybe but Id sure feel better with a guy like Broberg or  Bowen Byram or Mikko Kokkonen in our system. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2018 at 11:16 AM, maas_art said:

I honestly think this team is going to surprise us and we are going to end up a bubble team. Maybe the last team to make the playoffs.  I think 95% of that is going to be Price who i think is going to play with a huge chip on his shoulder, but I have a feeling that the new coaches are not going to allow people like Schlemko & Alzner take the team down.  I could be totally wrong but i get the sense we may finally ice the best team we have at our disposal, not just based on what MB has paid them. 

So as much as Id like to #LoseforHughes (and long term it would be sooooooo much better for us) I think the team has other plans.  

 

Assuming we dont make the playoffs & end up with a top 10 pick, Id love to snag a top PMD.  I still believe you draft  BPA but with the influx of centres and the fact that a lot of our best young forwards on the roster are wingers,  we're probably ok up front.  On the blueline we have positions 3-6 covered easily.  Can one of Mete or Juulsen step in as a top 2? Maybe but Id sure feel better with a guy like Broberg or  Bowen Byram or Mikko Kokkonen in our system. 

Bang on with your assessment Maas.

Looking at where we are a few months later and with the paucity of good trade options for a puck-moving LHD, that remains our biggest need. Yes, we have Romanov in the pipeline but the bureaucracy of getting a Russian player over to the NHL makes it harder and he's likely 2-3 years away from suiting up for us, barring a surprise. So while I still believe in the best player available approach to drafting, the Habs definitely need to have their eyes open for LH D men. Funnily enough, given how desperately we've been looking for them until recently, this draft seems to be pretty deep at center and with more question marks on defence. But here are some guys who might be on our radar, depending on where we end up drafting:

- Bowen Byram

- Philip Broberg

- Matthew Robertson

- Cam York

- Alex Vlasic

- Ville Heinola

- Ilya Moronov

 

Byram remains the class of the draft at LHD, with Broberg not far behind, but Robertson and Heinola seem to have moved up the rankings a decent amount recently. Also nice to note that Columbus has been sliding down the standings a bit and may be looking at dealing Panarin or Bobrovsky. If they miss the playoffs, that 2nd round pick of theirs that we have becomes more valuable.

 

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not saying I've given up hope completely, but thought I'd bump his thread for anyone who's attention is starting to shift away from this year...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Habs may as well start booking their T-times early and getting prepared for year 8 of the 5 year plan. Bergevin really needs to go.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, habs1952 said:

The Habs may as well start booking their T-times early and getting prepared for year 8 of the 5 year plan. Bergevin really needs to go.

He definitely won't be going after this season. The team has done enough to give him another year at the helm. If he didn't lose the job last year, he's certainly not losing it this year. Here's to another solid draft!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

29 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

He definitely won't be going after this season. The team has done enough to give him another year at the helm. If he didn't lose the job last year, he's certainly not losing it this year. Here's to another solid draft!

Agreed, he should have been canned two years ago but now is not the time. This offseason is going to be crucial though, he absolutely needs to find a way to improve the roster and give Julien more to work with IMO.

Edited by ChiLla
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Agreed, he should have been canned two years ago but now is not the time. This offseason is going to be crucial though, he absolutely needs to find a way to improve the roster and give Julien more to work with IMO.

If the Habs don't make the playoffs (I don't think they will) will it still be Julien as head coach?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

If the Habs don't make the playoffs (I don't think they will) will it still be Julien as head coach?

I don‘t see a coaching change anytime soon to be honest, Julien has his flaws but I don‘t think he‘s the reason we may miss the playoffs. He‘s done a decent job all year I think, even though I don‘t agree with his 4th line fetish. Everybody (including myself) had  us finishing in the bottom five this season, the fact that we‘re still in the race is a huge surprise IMO.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

I don‘t see a coaching change anytime soon to be honest, Julien has his flaws but I don‘t think he‘s the reason we may miss the playoffs. He‘s done a decent job all year I think, even though I don‘t agree with his 4th line fetish. Everybody (including myself) had  us finishing in the bottom five this season, the fact that we‘re still in the race is a huge surprise IMO.

The success has been a surprise, no doubt. But was the team really as bad as the result last year to begin with? The inability to fix a failing power-play, most of the year, ultimately falls on the head coach, regardless of who the task was assigned to. The credit for the success may not necessarily be due to Julien, but the addition of Ducharme to the mix could be the determining factor... we don't know for sure.

It comes down to the desired results set by management. Are the results in relation to what has happened with the changes in coaching staffs and players what was expected?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

If the Habs don't make the playoffs (I don't think they will) will it still be Julien as head coach?

There's some big question marks no doubt. Too slow to make the needed line changes and the questionable early D pairings, along with the PP, are two blaring issues that need to be addressed. A lot of that falls on MB for not providing the tools to work with. Failure from the backup position is another area that needs fixing. Need to get our priorities straightened out ( coach and GM ) before this upcoming draft

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would really let Julien go, but that will not happen. Put Dominique Ducharme in as head coach before we lose him like we did Gerard Gallant Bring Larry Robinson in to run the PP. But that is all just something that will never happen.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Agreed, he should have been canned two years ago but now is not the time. This offseason is going to be crucial though, he absolutely needs to find a way to improve the roster and give Julien more to work with IMO.

True. Bergevin will need to improve the defense no matter what. That has to be his goal heading into next season. If he fails to do so, and the team misses the post-season AGAIN in 2019-2020, then maybe Bergevin loses his job.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this is one of those years. Do we say thank you for improving from the team last year or do we go what's it matter if we don't make the playoffs? Oh, it matters. Last year we picked third. This year we will probably end up in the worst position in the league. First team to not make the playoffs and last team to pick at the draft that didn't make the playoffs. Oh well, thankfully we have Trevor Timmons. Asst GM now but I'm sure his fingerprints will be all over the draft plan

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also important now to note that if the Habs miss the playoffs, they would already be locked into the 15th overall pick slot, unless of course they win the draft lottery. No other team that misses the playoffs can get enough points to pass us now. So either we make the playoffs and pick higher than 15 or worst-case scenario, we are the best team not to make the playoffs and we end up in the no-man's land zone with the worst pick of the losers.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We could always, potentially, win the draft lottery! :D Our options are what if we miss the post-season? First overall, second overall, third overall, or picking at 15?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

We could always, potentially, win the draft lottery! :D Our options are what if we miss the post-season? First overall, second overall, third overall, or picking at 15?

Yes, but with only a 3% chance or so that it's a top 3 pick and a 97% chance-ish that it's #15. Don't get your hopes up.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Yes, but with only a 3% chance or so that it's a top 3 pick and a 97% chance-ish that it's #15. Don't get your hopes up.

Maybe we'd finally get that "extra something" hint hint, nudge nudge, for taking on John Scott??   :4224:

 

Mind you, i still think we're going to make the playoffs so this is moot :P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2019-03-31 at 11:06 PM, BigTed3 said:

Also important now to note that if the Habs miss the playoffs, they would already be locked into the 15th overall pick slot, unless of course they win the draft lottery. No other team that misses the playoffs can get enough points to pass us now. So either we make the playoffs and pick higher than 15 or worst-case scenario, we are the best team not to make the playoffs and we end up in the no-man's land zone with the worst pick of the losers.

I’m ok picking 15.  I’m very comfortable with pick Mikko Kokkonen at 15.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Yes, but with only a 3% chance or so that it's a top 3 pick and a 97% chance-ish that it's #15. Don't get your hopes up.

 

17 hours ago, maas_art said:

Maybe we'd finally get that "extra something" hint hint, nudge nudge, for taking on John Scott??   :4224:

 

Mind you, i still think we're going to make the playoffs so this is moot :P

 Ah rats. Only a a 3% chance of nabbing a top-3 pick. 

But maybe maas_art is right. We help with John Scott, the NHL allows us to draft Hughes! :lol: That'd be something else.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2019 at 5:45 AM, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I’m ok picking 15.  I’m very comfortable with pick Mikko Kokkonen at 15.

He's ranked to go in the 2nd round however .... just saying.

If we pick somebody who is ranked in the top 30 ... Cam York (LHD) or Philip Broberg (LHD) should bot be available still as they're ranked 16 

 

  1. Cam York, LHD / 01-05-01 / 5’11 165lbs / USNTDP

A mobile and calm defender with tremendous skating ability. He was a standout performer at last spring’s U18 tournament and will play a major role at The Program this season. Great on the power play and owns the mobility needed to clean up any mistakes he makes. Defensively, his positioning and use of stick continue to improve. Lots to like about his upside.

Broberg ...

December 2018 – As a 17-year-old, Broberg has been a full-time pro player at the second-tier pro league in Sweden, the Allsvenskan. So far this season, Broberg has put up seven points in 27 games which is impressive production for someone so young in that league. Broberg has great speed which is pretty rare for a six-foot-three defenseman. He can also handle the puck at high speed. His lateral movement isn’t great, though, and his puck-skills and vision don’t seem to be high-end. Broberg still needs to improve his defensive game but with his size and hockey sense, it’s expected that part of his game will 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess we'll find out Tuesday if any team gets lucky and jumps into the top 3.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

wonder if we will be making any trades this off season to get more picks, we will be pretty stout by our standards at center really soon! 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.