BigTed3

2019 NHL Draft

433 posts in this topic

20 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I really don't think the French theory is that big a deal. We haven't gone out of our way to draft one of them in recent drafts, in the higher rounds, unless he was highly ranked. KK last year, Chucky recently,,, those are examples of not going too far off the board. I can see them taking some slightly higher risks in the lower rounds, 4th to 6th, but those guys are already projected to be projects. That guy that TSN has ranked 15th for us to target is about that ranking with the other media outlets, and to be honest,,,, he sounds intriguing to me. Who wouldn't want a guy like that (size and offensive ability)? It just happens he's French. If he's available, that doesn't mean MB will jump at him in the 1st round. He might be targeting that D man if one is available that they like.

If they're going by organizational need as they did last year, then they're probably drafting the best LD available at 15.  Barring a trade up or down.

7 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

If they're going by organizational need as they did last year,

Timmins has said that they felt Kokaniemi was BPA. Maybe thats just blowing smoke but based on how he played year one - and assuming he will develop as they think he will -  I think you can argue he may well have been. 

Living in Newfoundland, I just read a short article about Alex Newhook. He's a St. John's, Newfoundland native who plays with the Victoria Grizzlies in the BCHL. He's committed to Boston College for next season. He seems to be ranked right around the 15th mark. I wonder... Michael Ryder did pretty well here!

On 5/13/2019 at 4:54 PM, kinot-2 said:

Ranked #23 by HOCKEYPROSPECT.COM

Ranked #12 by FUTURE CONSIDERATIONS

Ranked #20 by ISS HOCKEY

Ranked #18 by MCKEEN'S HOCKEY

Ranked #18 by NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING (NA Skaters)

Ranked #23 by ELITEPROSPECTS.COM

Ranked #12 by TSN/McKenzie

Suzuki is one of the smartest OHL prospects we have seen in years. He is a good skater, excellent passer and is very good at putting himself in scoring positions, where he rarely fails to capitalize. He does not play overly physical, but is very good at avoiding contact while doing so. He has excellent hands and all around vision. The top player in the Alliance Loop this season, his name was the very first called in April's OHL Draft. (Tyler Parchem, EP 2017)

IMO, he should be available when we pick. 

Hopefully we luck out.

On 5/15/2019 at 10:14 AM, 26NCounting said:

I agree, that is the biggest draw back to the Habs is the french "requirement" no insult intended, we focus too much on the language rather than the talent of the player and/or coach and have made some really bad choices over the years

I agree that this drawback applies to both the coach and the GM, however I tend to wonder if we had first dibs on the top skilled French Canadian players the way we once did way back when, if we'd be winning the Cup on a more regular basis. ;)

1 hour ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

I agree that this drawback applies to both the coach and the GM, however I tend to wonder if we had first dibs on the top skilled French Canadian players the way we once did way back when, if we'd be winning the Cup on a more regular basis. ;)

You would be hard pressed to find any of those so called skilled French players that had any major impact on us winning a Cup. If you research it, you would see how much of a farce that supposed advantage actually was.

Here's one of many articles debunking that myth,,,,

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2008/12/2/678036/debunking-the-canadiens-fr

3 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

So maybe we get PL Dubois, Patrice Bergeron, Vlasic, and Marchessault, but that also means Vancouver would have had first dibs on Price and the Leafs would have gotten Subban, and the Rangers would have gotten Pacioretty. And most of the decent Quebec-born players in the NHL weren't players the Habs missed on because they didn't have the chance to draft them, they're guys the team passed on.

So you're right that we'd be better if we could scoop up whichever local guys we wanted and add them to our roster, but I don't think we'd be any better if we also had to give up first crack at some of the players we drafted ourselves. I think the limitations we impose on ourselves for coach and GM have hurt us much more than issues regarding players.

3 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Fake news! Never happened! 

Fast approaching, June 21st-22nd.

Is Bergevin looking for a top goal scorer?  

5 hours ago, CANADIENS27 said:

Is Bergevin looking for a top goal scorer?  

Honestly i think he'll be looking for BPA. 

I think if there's an opportunity to move up from 15th to get either a better player, or possibly one ready to step in sooner, he might but I think Timmins & co are very much of the attitude you draft the best player you can no matter the position.

FWIW:

Eklund of HockeyBuzz reports the Canadiens have been "ultra aggressive" trying to move up at the 2019 NHL Draft. 

The Canadiens have two second round picks and three 5th round picks, it'll be interesting to see what kind of trade they would make to move up from #15. 

i wonder if Chicago would be willing to trade its #3, would love to get Byram. Don't think we have what it takes though

our first, our second, 2 fifths, D prospect, top 9 forward (bring back Shaw?). I mean they are trying to win now, so they would want a couple of bodies that can play right now. They do surprisingly have cap space though... man that would be an awesome trade if we could pull it off. Get Danault and Shaw back? 

meh I think i'm just dreaming

Posted (edited)

On 5/16/2019 at 2:52 PM, jennifer_rocket said:

Living in Newfoundland, I just read a short article about Alex Newhook. He's a St. John's, Newfoundland native who plays with the Victoria Grizzlies in the BCHL. He's committed to Boston College for next season. He seems to be ranked right around the 15th mark. I wonder... Michael Ryder did pretty well here!

Could be possible. I know him well. (I don't know him personally but Iv'e see him play)

Edited by xxdocxx

Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, habsisme said:

i wonder if Chicago would be willing to trade its #3, would love to get Byram. Don't think we have what it takes though

our first, our second, 2 fifths, D prospect, top 9 forward (bring back Shaw?). I mean they are trying to win now, so they would want a couple of bodies that can play right now. They do surprisingly have cap space though... man that would be an awesome trade if we could pull it off. Get Danault and Shaw back? 

meh I think i'm just dreaming

If you were Chicago, would you trade your #3 pick? It would take a lot of players/picks and prospects for them to do that deal. IMO, it would take say, Byron or Leks, + swap of firsts, + a 2nd, (+ maybe a 3rd),To rich for me. 

Edited by kinot-2

7 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

If you were Chicago, would you trade your #3 pick? It would take a lot of players/picks and prospects for them to do that deal. IMO, it would take say, Byron or Leks, + swap of firsts, + a 2nd, (+ maybe a 3rd),To rich for me. 

I have heard that they want Shaw back pretty badly so it is also possible they would do Shaw + swap 1st's + a 3rd which would be fine

8 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Yes, i think they would. They want to win now. I don't think we have the player it would take though.

I would do the trade you suggested in a heartbeat 

10 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

You're looking at it wrong.

This hinges on whether Chicago believes they still have a chance to win NOW.  Im not sure they do but lets assume they feel they can: A combination of established players could help. If they were truly in a win-now mode, believing their window hasnt closed, then a couple of established players would actually be more valuable to them than a 1st round pick who probably wont play for a year or two (albeit 3rd overall might).   I think you could make an interesting offer to them for Shaw + 15OVA + _________  for 3rd overall. 

29 minutes ago, maas_art said:

You're looking at it wrong.

This hinges on whether Chicago believes they still have a chance to win NOW.  Im not sure they do but lets assume they feel they can: A combination of established players could help. If they were truly in a win-now mode, believing their window hasnt closed, then a couple of established players would actually be more valuable to them than a 1st round pick who probably wont play for a year or two (albeit 3rd overall might).   I think you could make an interesting offer to them for Shaw + 15OVA + _________  for 3rd overall. 

And Shaw does have value coming off a season where he scored 47 points in 63 games. I like Shaw, but now is the perfect time to move on from him. Chicago's familiarity with the player might also make this hypothetical even more interesting.

I would offer Andrew Shaw, 15th overall, Jake Evans, and Charles Hudon (RFA).

4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

And Shaw does have value coming off a season where he scored 47 points in 63 games. I like Shaw, but now is the perfect time to move on from him. Chicago's familiarity with the player might also make this hypothetical even more interesting.

Im not sure they'd have any interest in Evans or Hudon but I think a combination of Shaw + 15thOVA + an established bottom 6 guy (maybe Byron) would do the trick. I agree that as much as I like shaw, now is probably the time to consider moving on 

Just now, maas_art said:

Im not sure they'd have any interest in Evans or Hudon but I think a combination of Shaw + 15thOVA + an established bottom 6 guy (maybe Byron) would do the trick. I agree that as much as I like shaw, now is probably the time to consider moving on 

Byron could definitely work, but... I have a hard time believing Bergevin would part with both Shaw and Byron.

An even crazier idea (and one just as unlikely)... Would you do Shaw and Danault for the 3rd overall?

5 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Byron could definitely work, but... I have a hard time believing Bergevin would part with both Shaw and Byron.

An even crazier idea (and one just as unlikely)... Would you do Shaw and Danault for the 3rd overall?

in a heartbeat if i felt like i could sign Duchene.   As much as I like Danault i think we're starting to get too much depth at centre.   Domi, JK, Danault - now Poehling, Thompson, even Suzuki is  a natural centre.  Obviously some can play wing (Suzuki most likely and maybe Domi will go back) but I also feel like someone is going to be playing way further down the lineup than he should if we are indeed targeting a player like Duchene. 

3 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would. I would even be willing to add a second and a defensive prospect. But that's because I think Byram has a real shot of stepping in immediately, maybe I'm too high on him. 

Also it could really make players in the free agency market by removing 7 million or so from the cap. 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Last year Zadina at #3 was a sure thing. He played sparingly for Detroit a team you would think he would of made out of camp by his projection. The 1&2 this year yes beyond that I definitely wouldn't give up Shaw and our 15th plus extra's. The 15th could end up as good and could play possibly as quickly. Shaw actually brings some physical aspect of his game that not much of our line up has. Talent is great , which Shaw has , but he also has some toughness. We are already most likely going to have an amount of rookies or close to with Suzuki and JK who is still a skinny kid. Poehling is a little older and is a bit bigger. Watching the playoffs you still need some toughness in your lineup and Shaw has it with skill, and having some good experience. If you could get 1 or 2 that's one thing but even 3rd hasn't been talked of much as a future impact player or maybe for a while.

I don't think Chicago is giving up the 3rd overall pick if Shaw or Byron is the major piece going back. They're role players. If you're dealing the 3rd overall, you want something of close or equal value back. Imagine if someone wanted Kotkaniemi from us and offered us the 15th overall and a 3rd rounder and a player like Michael Ferland or Alex Chiasson or Ondrej Palat or Richard Panik. I wouldn't touch that. IMO, those are players who are comparable to Byron or Shaw. They're useful mid-tier players, but they're guys you can replace with free agents or whose spots you can fill from within your own organization. If we dealt Shaw, we'd give his minutes to Armia or Suzuki or Poehling or Lehkonen or whoever else was left, but I don't think we'd be scrambling, as much as I like Shaw.

If I'm Chicago, I'm open to dealing the 3rd overall, but any deal starts with the 15th overall and a player like Drouin or Petry or so on. I don't think they're doing it for the 15th as the main piece, no matter how many mid-round picks or mid-level players we throw in.