The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019 NHL Draft

BigTed3

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

With scorers its always tough to tell (look at Yakupov!)  but i do like what i see in Caufield.  I think he has a real shot at being an impact player at the NHL level. 

true, but for  15th pick, it feels more like we got a top 5 player

3 hours ago, habsisme said:

true, but for  15th pick, it feels more like we got a top 5 player

Totally. I think there's a legitimate chance he ends up as a top 5 player when they do a "redraft" in a few years like the media likes to do.   I think his size made some teams pass him over. It looks like once again D and C were overvalued (because of their importance) and we were able to get a potentially game-breaking winger much later than we should have been able to. 

Put it another way:  If we had finished with a worse record & ended up with the 8th overall pick, I think most of us would still be happy with drafting Caufield, so to get him at 15th?  Amazeballs. 

7 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

The difference with Fleury, St Louis and Caufield is the the first two played like big men ... I don't see that from Caufield and I'm concerned his numbers are inflated playing with Jack Hughes ... guess we'll see, I'd love to see him make jump to CHL instead of college to get a better feel for his talent vs tougher opposition.

Did they play like big men before they were given a chance to play in the NHL? If they did why was Fleury drafted in the 8th round? Why was St Louis not even drafted?

They were both overlooked simply because of their size the same reason Caufield dropped in the draft luckily to us.

What is even more impressive then his 72 this past season is his 54, the year before

Mathews and Kane turned 17 in Sept and Nov respectively the season they scored over 50

The season Caufield scored 54 he started the season as a 16 years old and did not turn 17 until January of that season, almost half way through the season

Anyway, there are no guarantees for any kids to become really goods players in the nhl, even if your 6ft.5.

I like Caufields chances though he has met every test to date. And he was always small :) 

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 0:11 PM, HabsAlways said:

The difference with Fleury, St Louis and Caufield is the the first two played like big men ... I don't see that from Caufield and I'm concerned his numbers are inflated playing with Jack Hughes ... guess we'll see, I'd love to see him make jump to CHL instead of college to get a better feel for his talent vs tougher opposition.

The NCAA will be a much better league to judge how he is going to fare because it is all Men. The CHL still is geared toward 15-16 to 19 year olds.

1 minute ago, HabsAlways said:

The talent level in the CHL is still far better than the NCAA for the most part.

I would very much disagree with that. Also the NCAA the players have a lot more coaching and get to build more strength. It is also a league that stresses the defensive side of the game as much as the offense, and again a better place for a small player to get used to playing against men not other boys.

On 6/24/2019 at 2:15 PM, 26NCounting said:

The Habs had an amazing Draft this year, the pieces just seemed to fall into place, starting Caufield.  I think the goalie in the later rounds might have been a waste, never really heard of him before TBH.. But every other pick was fantastic, hats off to our scouting staff.  Now if we can turn them into legit NHL'rs we have a bright future

I agree. For that reason along with already having a young base of players who performed very well last season, I'm feeling a bit more optimistic for our team and for the upcoming season. Let's hope most of these picks develop into solid pieces for our team in the near future. Not the least of which Caulfield.

• H_T_L locked this topic