The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019 NHL Draft

BigTed3

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

wonder if we will be making any trades this off season to get more picks, we will be pretty stout by our standards at center really soon! 

unless there's someone they want to move up to draft, I think its unlikely we try to acquire any more picks for this year's draft.  We will see. 

5 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

wonder if we will be making any trades this off season to get more picks, we will be pretty stout by our standards at center really soon! 

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

unless there's someone they want to move up to draft, I think its unlikely we try to acquire any more picks for this year's draft.  We will see. 

Barring a trade or a lottery win, the Habs will be picking 15th. That means we're getting a project, a guy with a decent shot at making the NHL but not next year. If we do win one of the lottery spots, the 1st and 2nd picks are virtual locks to end up being Hughes and Kakko in some order and the 3rd is also almost certainly going to be a forward, be it Podkolzin or Cozens or Dach or so on. The one D man in the draft with a shot at being ready sooner rather than later is Byram, and he'll probably get drafted somewhere between 4-7. That means you either have no shot at him (and likely no shot at Broberg at 15 either) or else you're reaching for positional need if you're sitting at #3 or else you're winning the lottery and then trading back a spot or two... just seems very unlikely the Habs will be in a position to fill their #1 LHD hole via the draft.

Maybe MB feels Romanov is an immediate answer, if he even comes over here. But he's got to know he can't go into next year with the same left D as he had this year. So he's almost going to be backed into making a trade. It could be Drouin or Weber or Petry who is used as bait. Those are likely the only 3 expendable players good enough to bring back a first pairing LHD. But his other option would be to build a package using our 1st pick.

Who are some options?

- Cam Fowler

- Shea Theodore

- Mike Matheson

- Shayne Gostisbehere

- Oscar Klefbom

- Ryan Murray

All guys who have rumored to be on the market at some point in the past year and all who could potentially be paired with Weber or Petry on a 1st pairing (Matheson being the one guy I have doubts about). I think you could probably look at deals for some of them using our 1st rounder plus another piece, others that might not even need more than a 2nd rounder and prospect...

22 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Just a reminder the lottery draft order is tonight at 8:00p.m.

So if we somehow get lucky and draw in the top 3 do you think MB will trade it for a LHD and a later pick if he doesn't make a trade who do you think he picks?

Also who thinks the Avs will attempt to buy another higher pick? 

My prediction is we draft 15th making the first scenario moot, We will have to draft the best available player and hope to trade for or sign a LHD this summer. I also feel like the AVs may attempt to move their pick up but its unlikely.

25 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

In case you're bored and don't feel like waiting, here's your draft lottery simulator: http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

I only had to simulate the lottery 14 times for the Habs to end up with the 3rd overall pick, so pumped :ph34r:

:4224:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, so, there's a chance then? 

31 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

In case you're bored and don't feel like waiting, here's your draft lottery simulator: http://www.tankathon.com/nhl

I only had to simulate the lottery 14 times for the Habs to end up with the 3rd overall pick, so pumped :ph34r:

so here is the explanation of how the draw works read it then tell me if you still think there is a chance

https://foreverblueshirts.com/how-the-nhl-draft-lottery-actually-works/ 

10 possible combinations out of 1001 is the very definition of a long shot.

29 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

so here is the explanation of how the draw works read it then tell me if you still think there is a chance

There's a better chance of drawing #1 than there is of winning the Cup this year! 

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Maybe you should fine tune your sarcasm detector, my post was meant to be a joke ;)

7 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I didn't mean it to be directed towards anyone sorry was just more interested in adding the link to the convo and seemed like a good place to add it

It's all good :)

Yeah, the chances to jump up in the draft are terribly low, so I'm definitely not getting my hopes up. But they do still owe us for John Scott, so there's that ^_^

3 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Pfft, only took me 12 tries :P haha. 

Interestingly, Ottawa only got the 1st overall pick 2 of the 12 tries i did it...

3 hours ago, campabee82 said:

So if we somehow get lucky and draw in the top 3 do you think MB will trade it for a LHD and a later pick if he doesn't make a trade who do you think he picks?

I wonder if we make a pitch to move up.  Depending upon how much Timmins & co like a guy like Bowen Byram for example.   He's projected to go somewhere in the #6-10 pick.  Opinions seem split on whether he's ready to step in right away but it looks like 1-2 years at most before he's NHL ready. 

So if you're edmonton or anaheim do you entertain an offer like:

this year's 1st round pick + 2nd round pick (or prospect)

for

our 1st rounder (likely 15th overall) + Jonathan Drouin? 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Pfft, only took me 12 tries :P haha. 

Interestingly, Ottawa only got the 1st overall pick 2 of the 12 tries i did it...

I wonder if we make a pitch to move up.  Depending upon how much Timmins & co like a guy like Bowen Byram for example.   He's projected to go somewhere in the #6-10 pick.  Opinions seem split on whether he's ready to step in right away but it looks like 1-2 years at most before he's NHL ready. 

So if you're edmonton or anaheim do you entertain an offer like:

this year's 1st round pick + 2nd round pick (or prospect)

for

our 1st rounder (likely 15th overall) + Jonathan Drouin? 

The oilers can't take on Drouin's contract unless they dump salary I don't think the ducks can either

18 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

The oilers can't take on Drouin's contract unless they dump salary I don't think the ducks can either

In the offseason anyone can take on any contract they want. They have months to figure out how to deal with the financial side of things.    Its a question of whether they would be interested enough.  Also, we could easily absorb a bad contract from either if necessary. 

Those two were simply an example of teams who are looking for youngish wingers & may be willing to move back in the 1st round if it means adding an NHL ready player right now.  The appeal of a guy like drouin is that he's young and has proven to be a 50-60 point player.  If the cost to get him is your first rounder who may not even be ready to play for 2+ years then its an enticing option. 

• H_T_L locked this topic