The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019 NHL Draft

BigTed3

So, as expected, we kept the 15th pick. Damn you Jersey for lucking out again and how about those Hawks :blink:

Taking a look at potential Habs picks this year, there seem to be some interesting LHDs available. I'm really hoping that Broberg or Harley are still there at #15, but even if not there are others like Heinola, York, or Robertson who could help down the road. And even though we should draft a defenseman, how about Nick's brother Ryan Suzuki at #15?

I've also watched RHD Moritz Seider quite a bit this season, as he plays for Mannheim in the German DEL. Listed at 6' 4"/185 lbs and just turned 18 a few days ago, he did play top 4 minutes including the PP in his first season against men. He'll probably be picked a bit later in the 1st round and while I'm not sure how his game will translate to the much faster NHL (the DEL is probably a step below the Swedish and Finnish top leagues), I do like him a lot.

From Habs World:

Here are the players ranked 15th in the most recent rankings from some publications:

HockeyProspect: RW Bobby Brink (Sioux City, USHL)
ISS: D Thomas Harley (Mississauga, OHL)
Future Considerations: D Matthew Robertson (Edmonton, WHL)
McKeens: D Cam York (US NTDP, USHL)

7 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

So... NJ gets to add Hughes. I wonder if he'll be enough in his rookie season to put NJ back into the playoff picture. I hope not. We're drafting 15th. Interesting position. I wonder if we explore trading up, trading down, etc.

A lot of scouts think Kakko has closed the gap on Hughes now and that his game may translate better to the NHL. NJ also has a need for a RW to play with Hall and Hischier, so Kakko isn't 100% out of the question. Then again, Hughes said he trains with Hall, so Hall will probably support drafting him ahead of Kakko.

2 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

Almost like the League "fixed" it

If they had fixed it, I think the ideal scenario for the NHL would have been

- NYR winning #1 and taking Hughes as a new face of the franchise in the Big Apple. Maybe they still get him (see above) but it's a better story for them to win the lottery and take him #1 overall. Short of that, Vancouver winning and getting the Hughes brothers probably makes for a good story too.

- Kakko going #2 to Florida... I think that's a market the NHL still wants to push.

- Cozens going #3 to Detroit... the Wings have been bad for a while and rejuvenating Hockeytown makes sense for the league.

1 minute ago, BigTed3 said:

A lot of scouts think Kakko has closed the gap on Hughes now and that his game may translate better to the NHL. NJ also has a need for a RW to play with Hall and Hischier, so Kakko isn't 100% out of the question. Then again, Hughes said he trains with Hall, so Hall will probably support drafting him ahead of Kakko.

If they had fixed it, I think the ideal scenario for the NHL would have been

- NYR winning #1 and taking Hughes as a new face of the franchise in the Big Apple. Maybe they still get him (see above) but it's a better story for them to win the lottery and take him #1 overall. Short of that, Vancouver winning and getting the Hughes brothers probably makes for a good story too.

- Kakko going #2 to Florida... I think that's a market the NHL still wants to push.

- Cozens going #3 to Detroit... the Wings have been bad for a while and rejuvenating Hockeytown makes sense for the league.

NJ's GM is also familiar with the Hughes boys.   He was theirs fathers player agent.

I wonder if the Avs would consider moving the 4th overall pick.  I dont think there's any way they would have moved #1-2 but there's a sense they feel they are on the upside of their retool so a 4th pick that may take a year or two to develop? They might well make  deal for a young player (ie Drouin) who is ready to step in now... 

10 hours ago, maas_art said:

I wonder if the Avs would consider moving the 4th overall pick.  I dont think there's any way they would have moved #1-2 but there's a sense they feel they are on the upside of their retool so a 4th pick that may take a year or two to develop? They might well make  deal for a young player (ie Drouin) who is ready to step in now... 

So like Drouin and the 15th for 4th ova?

31 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

So like Drouin and the 15th for 4th ova?

Depending upon who was available at 4th I would consider a 1 for 1 swap:  Drouin for 4th overall.  

I was hoping if we include our 15th we'd get something else - like

Drouin + 15th overall

4th overall + Prospect/or 2nd round pick

Colorado gets a young, establisher top 6 winger + a pick that should get them a good player, albeit a few years away from playing.   Montreal gets 4th overall with which they can draft someone that may only be a year away from the NHL- and probably have their pick of defensmen if thats the route we want to go.

I think a move like this totally depends on whether there's a specific player Timmins & Co think will be elite.  If thats a guy like Bowen Byram then you make the move. I wouldnt move drouin and move up simply to move up but if there's a game breaking talent then I think you consider it. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Depending upon who was available at 4th I would consider a 1 for 1 swap:  Drouin for 4th overall.  

I was hoping if we include our 15th we'd get something else - like

Drouin + 15th overall

4th overall + Prospect/or 2nd round pick

Colorado gets a young, establisher top 6 winger + a pick that should get them a good player, albeit a few years away from playing.   Montreal gets 4th overall with which they can draft someone that may only be a year away from the NHL- and probably have their pick of defensmen if thats the route we want to go.

I think a move like this totally depends on whether there's a specific player Timmins & Co think will be elite.  If thats a guy like Bowen Byram then you make the move. I wouldnt move drouin and move up simply to move up but if there's a game breaking talent then I think you consider it. 

I would propose a trade with the Hawks as well as some other moves this off season

Weber - Caggiula + 3rd overall pick

then 

Drouin for Fowler

sign Karlsson at 11,000,000

that puts us around having about 2 mil cap space + the 4 mil increase so 6 mil

then you let Niemi, Folin, and Benn walk that still give you about 9 mil cap space to sign everyone else or bring in new players

now you line up on the back end

Fowler-Karlsson

Mete-Petry

Kulak-Juulsen

Brooke\Reilly extras

41 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I would propose a trade with the Hawks as well as some other moves this off season

Weber - Caggiula + 3rd overall pick

then 

Drouin for Fowler

sign Karlsson at 11,000,000

Couple of thoughts:

1) I dont think Chicago would consider moving their pick.  They are pretty likely to go into full rebuild so i cant possibly imagine them giving up that pick - and - i cant see them wanting Weber on their roster.  They will want to get younger, not older.

2) as much as it makes sense I do not see any way MB moves Weber. I think he sees him as the #1 reason for this year's turn around ("it all starts with attitude!") and I honestly think there's no way Weber leaves this squad unless either MB is fired or maybe in a few years once the decline is in full steam and Weber has basically no value.

3) Drouin for Folwer makes some sense and I think Anaheim would be quite keen on it.  They need forwards, they are stocked on the blueline so it would be a good trade for both.  Ideally if i am trading Drouin though, id really like to get a guy who is younger.  Fowler will be 28 in December. Not ancient but still. 

30 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Couple of thoughts:

1) I dont think Chicago would consider moving their pick.  They are pretty likely to go into full rebuild so i cant possibly imagine them giving up that pick - and - i cant see them wanting Weber on their roster.  They will want to get younger, not older.

2) as much as it makes sense I do not see any way MB moves Weber. I think he sees him as the #1 reason for this year's turn around ("it all starts with attitude!") and I honestly think there's no way Weber leaves this squad unless either MB is fired or maybe in a few years once the decline is in full steam and Weber has basically no value.

3) Drouin for Folwer makes some sense and I think Anaheim would be quite keen on it.  They need forwards, they are stocked on the blueline so it would be a good trade for both.  Ideally if i am trading Drouin though, id really like to get a guy who is younger.  Fowler will be 28 in December. Not ancient but still. 

I thought Lindholm for Drouin might be pushing it LOL 

I guess you could do Juulsen and Reilly to the Hawks but not sure that's enough to entice them out of their 3rd overall pick plus I really wouldn't want to give up Juulsen

49 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I thought Lindholm for Drouin might be pushing it LOL 

I guess you could do Juulsen and Reilly to the Hawks but not sure that's enough to entice them out of their 3rd overall pick plus I really wouldn't want to give up Juulsen

Always tough to know how an organization sees their strengths vs needs.  I think Lindholm is probably untouchable but you never know.  Drouin + ____ maybe?

I could see the hawks going for Juulsen & Lekhs (or similar young forward) but like you, im not prepared to give up on Juulsen. If he's indeed injury free i think he'll be one of our 2 top RD for a long time after Weber and Petry are gone. 

TSN's draft analyst Craig Button did his first mock draft and had the Canadiens selecting a QMJHL product. 

Button had the Canadiens drafting Halifax Mooseheads center Raphael Lavoie at #15. 

Lavoie is a big center who stands 6'4" and weighs in at 198lbs. 

The 18 year old Chambly, Quebec, native registered 31 goals and 41 assists in 62 games this year and has 20 points in 11 games in the playoffs so far this year which includes 13 goals. 

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

TSN's draft analyst Craig Button did his first mock draft and had the Canadiens selecting a QMJHL product. 

Button had the Canadiens drafting Halifax Mooseheads center Raphael Lavoie at #15. 

The 18 year old Chambly, Quebec, native registered 31 goals and 41 assists in 62 games this year and has 20 points in 11 games in the playoffs so far this year which includes 13 goals. 

On paper, he sounds a lot like Michael McCarron...

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Hopefully MB goes with Timmin's suggestions.  We'll never know what really happens/happened in the past but I think a lot of time Timmins was allowed to make his choices starting with the 2nd round (thus so many great later draft picks) and MB would interfere with some of the earlier picks - or at very least ask TT for the "safest" choice. 

Will be very interesting to see what happens. I still feel like we might either trade up or trade down depending upon who is available. 

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

On paper, he sounds a lot like Michael McCarron...

Other then his size, he has no comparison to McCarron. This kid can flat out skate and has really heavy shot. He is best suited for the wing, he will either blow by a defender or skate over a defender to get a goal.... 

I am in Cape Breton and watched this kid play multiple times when halfiax comes down, He likes to score goals , if your after a sniper he could be a steal at 15, this would be the kid, he is a project, because he hates the defensive side of the game .....

I would be eyeing Philip Broberg the LD from Sweden if he is still available though

On 13.4.2019 at 0:22 AM, caperns61 said:

Other then his size, he has no comparison to McCarron. This kid can flat out skate and has really heavy shot. He is best suited for the wing, he will either blow by a defender or skate over a defender to get a goal.... 

I am in Cape Breton and watched this kid play multiple times when halfiax comes down, He likes to score goals , if your after a sniper he could be a steal at 15, this would be the kid, he is a project, because he hates the defensive side of the game .....

I would be eyeing Philip Broberg the LD from Sweden if he is still available though

Broberg would be great, not sure we'll get him with the 15th pick though. We may have to trade up... Haven't seen much of Lavoie outside of YouTube clips, do you think he'd be worth taking at #15 even though we should probably draft a defenseman?

10 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Broberg would be great, not sure we'll get him with the 15th pick though. We may have to trade up... Haven't seen much of Lavoie outside of YouTube clips, do you think he'd be worth taking at #15 even though we should probably draft a defenseman?

For sure he should be looked at. He has all the tools to be a steal in the draft. He actually reminds me more of Corey Perry, but a much better skater....Problem right now is he may go earlier in the draft as well, his stock is going up each playoff round. Halifax is in the Semi Finals of the Q league playoffs and Lavoie has 20 points in 11 games, 13 of those points are goals, the closet to him has 8 goals in the playoffs.....

I am with you though. We need a LD badly, but if its going to be a project anyway, we can wait for a forward to develop longer then a LD to develop. I think our route is through a trade, Preferably one of our right deeman now. My choice would be Weber. Second choice would be Petry.  If they want to keep both those aging dee, then it has to be Droiun staight up or Droiun and a pick. And they have to be 25 or under. I think a deal to be made is with Edmonton...Klefbom for Droiun..

Just now, caperns61 said:

For sure he should be looked at. He has all the tools to be a steal in the draft. He actually reminds me more of Corey Perry, but a much better skater....Problem right now is he may go earlier in the draft as well, his stock is going up each playoff round. Halifax is in the Semi Finals of the Q league playoffs and Lavoie has 20 points in 11 games, 13 of those points are goals, the closet to him has 8 goals in the playoffs.....

I am with you though. We need a LD badly, but if its going to be a project anyway, we can wait for a forward to develop longer then a LD to develop. I think our route is through a trade, Preferably one of our right deeman now. My choice would be Weber. Second choice would be Petry.  If they want to keep both those aging dee, then it has to be Droiun staight up or Droiun and a pick. And they have to be 25 or under. I think a deal to be made is with Edmonton...Klefbom for Droiun..

• H_T_L locked this topic