The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

2019 NHL Draft

BigTed3

1 hour ago, caperns61 said:

The kid played over 90 games of hockey this past season, there is not one GM out there who would worry about him not showing up at the combine.

He will be number 1 over all he is the best player available. 

I agree completely!!!

26 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I'm not totally sold that Hughes goes 1st overall though...

I would say if a team already has Superstar Centers and need a scoring winger than maybe. He has broken records everywhere at a very young age. His hockey sense and vision all the scouts are saying he is a generational talent. I would say almost always a Center will be drafted ahead of a winger. Hall did go 1 over Taylor 2 , but I know I would of taken Taylor if nothing more equal talent usually a center will go first. Kakko is bigger and older , so may by size be more ready. That said Crosby as a generational talent being small didn't have a problem and the NHL is actually geared toward smaller 'skilled" players being able to excel easier now. So if you already have McDavid , Mathews ect. type center (and don't want two)(which actually worked out okay for Pittsburgh!) than maybe you take the scoring winger. As a general rule though you take the center which is projected to be a generational talent. New Jersey has Hall at wing already , I would guess they will take Hughes.

Grant McCagg from Recrutes, who was big on Kotkaniemi last year before most other draft analysts, has us choosing a RHD from Finland named Lassi Thomson... played in Kelowna last year. A younger player for the draft like JK and with a lot of raw talent but less refined than some other prospects.

Here's my mock draft through Pick 15:

1. NJ - Jack Hughes

2. NYR - Kaapo Kakko

3. Chi - Alex Turcotte

4. Det (mock trade from Col) - Bowen Byram

5. LA - Dylan Cozens

6. Col (mock trade from Det) - Cole Caulfield

7. Buf - Vasili Podkolzin

8. Edm - Philip Broberg

9. Ana - Trevor Zegras

10. Van - Kirby Dach

11. Phi - Matthew Boldy

12. Min - Arthur Kaliyev

13. Fla - Victor Soderstrom

14. Ari - Peyton Krebs

15. Mtl - Cam York

... of the players listed above, I think the odds are high that most of the forwards I listed are gone by our pick. But I do think guys like Kaliyev and Krebs could fall, and some of the mid-round D men like Soderstrom, Broberg, and York could be interchangeable with others like Harley and Seider. I also wonder if someone like Arizona or Minnesota might make a play at goalie Spencer Knight. All that to say that if MB wants a D man, he should have a few options at 15. Harley seems to be a little bit of a project defensively and Seider is a bit more of a raw talent. Personally, if Broberg is gone (and I think he's the D after Byram who has the highest chance of being gone), then I'd be hoping for one of Soderstrom or York to fall to us. I could also see MB being curious about Raphael Lavoie, Ryan Suzuki, or Ville Heinola. No matter what, I don't think Bergevin's choice is going to be obvious this time around. Last year, we all thought it was between Kotkaniemi and Zadina moreso than anyone else, but this year, there could easily be 8-10 guys who might fit the bill of who they see as BPA at 15.

Just now, habs1952 said:

I'll speculate Kakko goes before Hughes.

I think so too...Here’s my mock:

1. NJ-Kakko

2. NYR-Hughes

3. CHI-Caufield

4. COL-Byram

5. LA-Cozens

6. DET-Turcotte

7. BUF-Podkolzin

8. EDM-Knight

9.  Ana-Dach

10. Van- Zegras

11.  Phi-Krebs

12. Min-Boldy

13.  Fla- Soderstrom

14.  Ari- York

15. MTL-Harley

3 hours ago, I-Am-Canadian_mtl said:

I think the Habs draft that Sieder kid d man if he’s still available...has size, speed and a 2 way game...allegedly Bergevin travelled to Germany to interview him after the combine...if that’s true he’s a target!

Could be, I've seen him quite a bit this year and he has definitely made an impression. Seider's a really smart player who has turned heads in the DEL with his calm presence and a maturity that goes way beyond his age, especially in the playoffs. Turned 18 fairly recently and also won Rookie of the Year. Not sure how his offense will translate to North America but he's a good skater with good size and he doesn't mind the physical game. The problem is he's another righty but if Timmins thinks he's BPA, let's get him. If we're strictly drafting by need, Harley or York are probably the better options but I wouldn't mind the pick at all :)

Here's who some mock drafts has us picking:

Sporting News:

15. Montreal Canadiens: Cam York, LHD, U.S. 18 (NTDP)

The worst power play in the Habs' storied history leaves them no choice but to grab this offensive dynamo who hits hard and plays unselfish hockey.

Sportsnet:

15. MONTREAL CANADIENS
Moritz Seider, D, Mannheim (DEL): Amazing ability to adjust his game depending on the competition. Against men, he displays a safer, more efficient style. Within his peer group, he’s a leader and a producer. Seider’s stock elevated through both the physical testing and interview processes at the Draft Combine.

TSN:

15. Thomas Harley (Last Mock: 14)

Defence | Mississauga (OHL) | 6'3 | 188 lbs. | Aug. 19, 2001

68GP,,, 1G, 58 PTs, -15

I'd be happy drafting any of those 3 D mentioned. Or if Podkolzin happened to drop this far, even Knight I'm ok with as by the time we'll need him or Cayden they should be ready and if nothing else it's a good trading piece.

I'll trust what the boys (TT and MB) do, my only fear is picking Lavoie at 15; not because I don't like his game but because of the pressure. If we somehow obtained another 1st then by all means get him. 

^^ IMO, there are several tiers in this draft:

Tier 1: Hughes and Kakko

Tier 2: Byram, Turcotte, Cozens, Zegras, Podkolzin, Dach (I wouldn't be shocked to see any of these guys go in the 3-5 range)

Tier 3: Boldy, Caulfield (IMO a little behind the others because these are mainly scorers but less complete)

Tier 4: Kaliyev, Krebs, Newhook, York, Broberg, Soderstrom, Knight

Tier 5: Harley, Seider, Tomasino, Suzuki, Poulin, etc.

If we're going with a defender, my 3 favorites after Byram are York, Soderstrom, and Broberg in some order. York has been compared to Cam Fowler, Soderstrom reminds me a bit of Kimmo Timonen and has also drawn comparisons to Ryan Ellis, and Broberg has been compared to Alex Edler among others. Not to say some of the others couldn't be just as effective, but Harley is thought of as an offensive D man with some defensive lacunes and Seider is a bit of a raw talent, with less ability to know how his game will translate to the NHL. Likewise, there are concerns about Newhook and how he will fare against tougher competition and Lavoie because he maybe doesn't have the greatest footspeed and doesn't read the play as well as others. I fully expect the first 10 guys (tiers 1-3) to be gone by the time we pick, although sometimes there's a surprise guy who slides. Guys in tier 4 and 5 are players who may or may not be available. Ken Holland is rumored to be very high on Broberg, so the question will be whether he gets by Edm at #8, but if they pass, he could fall to us too. I also wouldn't rule out our trading the pick, either for a roster player or just simply moving down in the draft... if you drop 10-12 spots, you might be able to pick up another asset and still draft a Heinola or Larsson or so on.

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Draft Day has arrived. I'm excited to see who Montreal selects in the first round. I'm also interested to see which team takes Alex Newhook.

I'm a little wary of Newhook and how unproven he is against better competition. Could be a star, could be a bust, but there's less of a book on him than some of the other players. I'd be ecstatic if the Habs came away with one of York, Soderstrom, or Broberg. I'd be okay but not as happy if they went with Suzuki or maybe Newhook or Seider or Harley (all of whom I have more questions on though) or a player who falls out of the top 10, if that's a Krebs or Caulfield or Boldy or so on. I'd like to stay away from some of the Q players like Lavoie or Pelletier because I think they'd be reaches at 15. I'd also be okay if we turned pick 15 into a player like Gostisbehere...

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Draft Day has arrived. I'm excited to see who Montreal selects in the first round. I'm also interested to see which team takes Alex Newhook.

:freu1:

Craig Button feels that we will select Mississauga defenceman Thomas Harley. The offensive blueliner would fill the Canadiens’ urgent need for a left defenceman. 

After all, we already have a Suzuki, now we can have a Harley too. :ph34r:

SN's Sam Cosentino thinks that we will pick Moritz Seider, D, Mannheim (DEL): Amazing ability to adjust his game depending on the competition. Against men, he displays a safer, more efficient style. Within his peer group, he’s a leader and a producer. Seider’s stock elevated through both the physical testing and interview processes at the Draft Combine.

32 minutes ago, Fanhab81 said:

What would it take to acquire gostisbehere?

Its tough to say.  Philly is at a crossroads where they probably have to try to win in the next year or two.  They lack depth up front so I think most likely they would want: A top 6 winger + a prospect + a pick. 

There's been speculation something like  Shaw + Fleury + 2nd rounder would do it but you may have to replace Fleury with more of a 'sure thing' like Juulsen. 

• H_T_L locked this topic