The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Wed, Oct 17 7:00 PM ET St. Louis @ Montreal SN1, RDS, FS-MW,

kinot-2

7 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

And Hab fans.

I'm surprised, but I think most of my surprise has been at the willingness of the coaching staff to play more of a puck possession/ speed game and to play skill over veteran grit. Alzner's taken a back seat, Schlemko has been out, Benn's role has been limited, Plekanec has been out or on the 4th line, DLR wasn't given consideration and then waived, and so on. All these guys who were given more ice than they deserved last year have been pushed back, and concurrently, we've kept Kotkaniemi up, which has filled a hole at center. And we've given top 4 jobs to Juulsen and Reilly despite their relative youth.

There have been a lot of pleasant surprises, and I don't know that we'll hold up this pace. Not sure the Danault line will continue to give us what they have all season. Not sure we won't run into injuries. Not sure the young D will keep up their play without growing pains. But I think the shift in coaching mindset has allowed us to move the learning curve up a bit and expedite the relaunch of this team.

30 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I'm surprised, but I think most of my surprise has been at the willingness of the coaching staff to play more of a puck possession/ speed game and to play skill over veteran grit. Alzner's taken a back seat, Schlemko has been out, Benn's role has been limited, Plekanec has been out or on the 4th line, DLR wasn't given consideration and then waived, and so on. All these guys who were given more ice than they deserved last year have been pushed back, and concurrently, we've kept Kotkaniemi up, which has filled a hole at center. And we've given top 4 jobs to Juulsen and Reilly despite their relative youth.

There have been a lot of pleasant surprises, and I don't know that we'll hold up this pace. Not sure the Danault line will continue to give us what they have all season. Not sure we won't run into injuries. Not sure the young D will keep up their play without growing pains. But I think the shift in coaching mindset has allowed us to move the learning curve up a bit and expedite the relaunch of this team.

Or the shift in power ... Julien putting his foot down and saying he'll use the guys he wants in the roles he decides without input from MB

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

This.   Even last year, if we had played younger, better players instead of AlznBennSchlemko, we would have been better.  Deployment  has been huge, as has adapting a system to our roster strengths, not asking our roster to adapt to a system.