Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GreekHockeyCoach

I know it's early but .......

16 posts in this topic

I know it's really really early in the season but we look really good so far. It's been a pleasant surprise and the hockey is fast and exciting. How long do you guys feel we can keep this up? Will we crash and burn or are we headed to the playoffs?

I predict we'll be a playoff team this year. So far we've been getting it done without Price having to stand on his head. If anything, he's been a bit of a disappointment thus far, too many soft goals for my liking.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always been an optimist, but, as far as the Habs go, "cautiously optimistic". Granted, this team has exceeded my expectations (so far), but it's like waiting for the other shoe to drop. If we play like we did last night, even the so-called "weaker" teams will pick us apart. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's possible I guess but I don't see it. Outside of massive injury trouble I don't see any way the Habs finish ahead of Leafs/Bruins/Lightning for top 3 in the Atlantic and I think Florida is clearly a better team. There's a chance the Habs could make it as the 2nd wildcard in that case but I'm doubtful none of the Flyers/Caps/Blue Jackets/Pens/Canes/Devils finish in the other wild card spot.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hockey has been pleasant to watch so far, and right NOW we look like a playoff team. A couple things need to fall into place for that to happen. We need to stay healthy and we need to ice the best team available to roll out 4 competitive lines. We can't afford to ice a floater line like last nights 4th. Shaw certainly looked like he was still suffering the effects of the flu and Deslauriers looked far from game shape. No way Hudon should have been scratched last night IMO. That's on the coaching team and they failed last night as far as i'm concerned. Was it a case of feeling obligated to play MB's mistake signings? Sure looked like it.

P.S. If we're dependent on Alzner to play top pairing minutes, we're in deep crap.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, GreekHockeyCoach said:

I know it's really really early in the season but we look really good so far. It's been a pleasant surprise and the hockey is fast and exciting. How long do you guys feel we can keep this up? Will we crash and burn or are we headed to the playoffs?

I predict we'll be a playoff team this year. So far we've been getting it done without Price having to stand on his head. If anything, he's been a bit of a disappointment thus far, too many soft goals for my liking.

I'm going to go with crash and burn, can't see them keeping that pace up for the entire season and injuries are bound to happen. I agree with Price letting in too many softies, he goes down way too much and the shooters are waiting for it, they know they'll have the top of the net open.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Losing to Ottawa makes me want to go with crash and burn, but both are teams with lots of youngsters, new faces, and a good amount of hunger and desire, and nothing to lose attitude. Whether it will last or not is another story altogether..

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good things are happening so far, but we're a few key players away from being a true contender IMO. Getting rid of dead weights and overpaid players like Price, Plekanec, Weber and Alzner for a few more youngsters might be the solution.

Edited by Habs=stanleycup
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Good things are happening so far, but we're a few key players away from being a true contender IMO. Getting rid of dead weights and overpaid players like Price, Plekanec, Weber and Alzner for a few more youngsters might be the solution.

Agreed. Problem is who will take them. If Julien continues limiting their playing time or scratching them then I have no issues if they're on the team until we can find a trading partner.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, GreekHockeyCoach said:

Agreed. Problem is who will take them. If Julien continues limiting their playing time or scratching them then I have no issues if they're on the team until we can find a trading partner.

I really don't get why Price keeps getting referred to as dead weight and grouped with the others. He is definitely over paid but that's on MB for being a horrible negotiator. ANYONE in prices position would have tried to get the best deal for themselves it's on the manager to do what's best for the team. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, campabee82 said:

I really don't get why Price keeps getting referred to as dead weight and grouped with the others. He is definitely over paid but that's on MB for being a horrible negotiator. ANYONE in prices position would have tried to get the best deal for themselves it's on the manager to do what's best for the team. 

His salary is a huge part of it but clearly not his fault. Having said that, he's not the same Price that was stealing games for us and standing on his head. I don't feel he's in the top 10 in the league anymore and having that contract definitely hurts our chances of moving him.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, GreekHockeyCoach said:

His salary is a huge part of it but clearly not his fault. Having said that, he's not the same Price that was stealing games for us and standing on his head. I don't feel he's in the top 10 in the league anymore and having that contract definitely hurts our chances of moving him.

But he is in the top in the league this year look at the stats. His gaa is 2.57 and his save % is .904 good enough for 13th and 18th respectively also he is tied for 5th for fewest goals allowed in the league for goalies who have played 5 or more games with just 13 so far but because he is not facing as many shots his averages are down. So IMO he he may not be playing to the level he was 2-3years ago but he is closer than most give him credit for.

Edited by campabee82
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, campabee82 said:

But he is in the top in the league this year look at the stats. His gaa is 2.57 and his save % is .904 good enough for 13th and 18th respectively also he is tied for 5th for fewest goals allowed in the league for goalies who have played 5 or more games with just 13 so far but because he is not facing as many shots his averages are down. So IMO he he may not be playing to the level he was 2-3years ago but he is closer than most give him credit for.

13th and 18th are middle of the pack not near top.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

13th and 18th are middle of the pack not near top.

5th is! 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the season results will come down to 2 things:

1. Whether we can avoid significant injuries.

2. Whether our coaches deploy a speed/skill line-up or a grit line-up. We saw how tough we can be to control for other teams when we can turn over 4 lines with talent. And we saw how quickly that was lost when we started giving Shaw big ice time and using Deslauriers and Alzner. This team doens't have the top-end talent to be able to have dead weight in the line-up, and the brutal coaching decisions from last game will sink us if they're continued.

As was posted, I don't think we'll keep pace with Toronto, Tampa, or Boston over 82 games unless they run into bad injuries themselves. I do think we can compete for a wildcard but I think we're going to be just one of a pack of teams doing so. Ultimately, I don't think we can win a Cup, so I see the best course of action as playing our young skill guys and letting them develop. Allowing Mete, Juulsen, Kotkaniemi, Scherbak, Hudon, Lehkonen, Reilly, Lindgren, Evans, etc. to take on bigger roles and minutes and see what they can do is paramount. Everything else is secondary.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think the season results will come down to 2 things:

1. Whether we can avoid significant injuries.

2. Whether our coaches deploy a speed/skill line-up or a grit line-up. We saw how tough we can be to control for other teams when we can turn over 4 lines with talent. And we saw how quickly that was lost when we started giving Shaw big ice time and using Deslauriers and Alzner. This team doens't have the top-end talent to be able to have dead weight in the line-up, and the brutal coaching decisions from last game will sink us if they're continued.

I agree with those 2 but would also add a 3: Carey Price.   So far I think he's been pretty good - not MVP price yet but 10x better than last year. If he gets better, then he will make a difference... and if he gets worse, he'll make a difference too but for the wrong reasons.

 

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

As was posted, I don't think we'll keep pace with Toronto, Tampa, or Boston over 82 games unless they run into bad injuries themselves. I do think we can compete for a wildcard but I think we're going to be just one of a pack of teams doing so. Ultimately, I don't think we can win a Cup, so I see the best course of action as playing our young skill guys and letting them develop. Allowing Mete, Juulsen, Kotkaniemi, Scherbak, Hudon, Lehkonen, Reilly, Lindgren, Evans, etc. to take on bigger roles and minutes and see what they can do is paramount. Everything else is secondary.

Also agree.  Adding a top 5 pick would be amazing but this team does not appear bad enough for me to want to tank on purpose.  Let the kids make mistakes.  Waive, buy-out or trade spare parts.  Lets see what happens.  I still think we have a chance at a playoff spot but would be really shocked to see us win more than say 1 round. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think the season results will come down to 2 things:

1. Whether we can avoid significant injuries.

2. Whether our coaches deploy a speed/skill line-up or a grit line-up. We saw how tough we can be to control for other teams when we can turn over 4 lines with talent. And we saw how quickly that was lost when we started giving Shaw big ice time and using Deslauriers and Alzner. This team doens't have the top-end talent to be able to have dead weight in the line-up, and the brutal coaching decisions from last game will sink us if they're continued.

As was posted, I don't think we'll keep pace with Toronto, Tampa, or Boston over 82 games unless they run into bad injuries themselves. I do think we can compete for a wildcard but I think we're going to be just one of a pack of teams doing so. Ultimately, I don't think we can win a Cup, so I see the best course of action as playing our young skill guys and letting them develop. Allowing Mete, Juulsen, Kotkaniemi, Scherbak, Hudon, Lehkonen, Reilly, Lindgren, Evans, etc. to take on bigger roles and minutes and see what they can do is paramount. Everything else is secondary.

I feel like Jedi said that if we get rid of the dead weight that you mentioned then we have a shot at the playoffs. I feel that given Julien's contract he shouldn't have to worry too much about job security with MB if he decides to keep benching or limiting the playing time for Alzner, Shaw, Deslauriers, Benn and even Price if he doesn't play up to par.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.