Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kinot-2

7:00 PM ET Montreal @ New York Rangers MSG, TSN2, RDS,

307 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, habby67 said:

MB's gotta shake up that D big time. We're overachieving and that's great but we have to get rid of some of these boat anchors....

We've been a 0.500 hockey team for half of October and all of November so far. I don't think that's over-achieving. I think that's what we are likely to wind up being.

2 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I've bee a HABS fan for over 50 years and we traded for or even picked up Marchand on waivers , I may stop watching. He is the last thing we need in Montreal!

It was a joke, I would hate getting Marchand even off waivers or as a FA as well. LOL 

Edited by campabee82

6 hours ago, campabee82 said:

It was a joke, I would hate getting Marchand even off waivers or as a FA as well. LOL 

:6280:

From a column I read today : "In the words of Brian Wilde, “[Drouin] was a mess defensively tonight. I don’t think I have seen a worse defensive game from a forward in a decade.”

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

From a column I read today : "In the words of Brian Wilde, “[Drouin] was a mess defensively tonight. I don’t think I have seen a worse defensive game from a forward in a decade.”

I would be shopping him now. Last season he had an excuse because he played center. This season he is back on the wing. Same weak player. Like Galchenyk 2.0, looks like a million and plays like 50 Bucks. Writing was on the wall before we even traded for him. He could not crack the Tampa lineup no matter how much he complained.

We have found a nice core with Gallagher, Domi, Tatar, Lekonen, Kotk, Armia, Byron, Danualt, all willing to play in all 3 zones...

Edited by caperns61

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

1 hour ago, caperns61 said:

I would be shopping him now. Last season he had an excuse because he played center. This season he is back on the wing. Same weak player. Like Galchenyk 2.0, looks like a million and plays like 50 Bucks. Writing was on the wall before we even traded for him. He could not crack the Tampa lineup no matter how much he complained.

We have found a nice core with Gallagher, Domi, Tatar, Lekonen, Kotk, Armia, Byron, Danualt, all willing to play in all 3 zones...

Yeah im really on the fence with Drouin.  On the one hand he is probably the most talented player (pure talent) on the team but playing in the NHL is not an all-star skills competition and his decision making is just brutal. Im not sure if its lack of effort most of the time but he just doesnt seem to have any hockey IQ. So if he goes up against a Karl Alzner type player, no problem- he just dipsydoodles around them. But put him against a couple of defensively sound players & he will lose the put 9 times out of 10.  Worse still, he seems unable to notice that just because a player is "over there' Doesnt mean its a good time to send them a pass. I dont know how many times Ive seen him pass the puck to a linemate who has a guy, or often 2, covering him.  This is not good passing.

If we trade him, I think theoretically you could get a top pairing LD for him, but how much weaker is our forward group?  Can we afford to lose him?  Conversely, if he's defensively bad, then losing him means only having to make up the differential between goals he helps create and goals against.     Will domi suffer without him out there?

If we can get a bonefide #1LD (under 25 or so) for Drouin, id do it.  I know it would weaken us up front but our defense would immediately be a strong point and hopefully we could shuffle around lines enough to make up the missing offense. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Yeah im really on the fence with Drouin.  On the one hand he is probably the most talented player (pure talent) on the team but playing in the NHL is not an all-star skills competition and his decision making is just brutal. Im not sure if its lack of effort most of the time but he just doesnt seem to have any hockey IQ. So if he goes up against a Karl Alzner type player, no problem- he just dipsydoodles around them. But put him against a couple of defensively sound players & he will lose the put 9 times out of 10.  Worse still, he seems unable to notice that just because a player is "over there' Doesnt mean its a good time to send them a pass. I dont know how many times Ive seen him pass the puck to a linemate who has a guy, or often 2, covering him.  This is not good passing.

If we trade him, I think theoretically you could get a top pairing LD for him, but how much weaker is our forward group?  Can we afford to lose him?  Conversely, if he's defensively bad, then losing him means only having to make up the differential between goals he helps create and goals against.     Will domi suffer without him out there?

If we can get a bonefide #1LD (under 25 or so) for Drouin, id do it.  I know it would weaken us up front but our defense would immediately be a strong point and hopefully we could shuffle around lines enough to make up the missing offense. 

I am not sure you would get a top Pairing Dee for Drouin at this point unless Tampa would give us back Sergachev :).....

I still think we need to look at some young talent  that has not hit there stride yet. Most teams are generally capped out at this time of the year. I was looking at Edmonton something like Lucic and Puljujarvi for Drouin. Now the center piece for us us certainly Puljujarvi. Lucic because of the cap. I think a player like Puljujarvi could really gel with Kotk or Domi going forward.  Another Finn to play with Kotk, Lekonen, Armia,,

Just a thought. I know what we really need is a left deeman. I really believe this kid will break out in the next year or two. And i think we just may have the core to help him.