Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GreekHockeyCoach

Is Price done

Is Price done being an elite goalie   23 members have voted

1. 1. Is Price done being an elite goalie

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

72 posts in this topic

45 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

I agree with most of what you say and get that you feel Price is not done being elite... I agree he is not done, although being elite means not letting in soft goals too often. I think he has shown some eliteness (is that a word?) at times, but at the same time not so much. I wouldn't say all is lost, but regardless of the team in front of him there is still room for improvement and consistency on his part.

And BTW... you still ignored my reasoning about what could help his own game.

No I agree with your reasoning, and I now understand what you meant and that it was an observation on what might help his game while we try and sort out our D game. I also agree that he has changed his game somewhat already and that may be contributing to his poor play at times. I just don't think we should ask him to change his game before we get a top pairing LHD and play a better D game. However if we are able to work out our D and he still isn't back to where we expect him to be then I may be more inclined to ask him to change his game like you suggested. I apologize I just wasn't understanding what you meant at first lol.

Edited by campabee82

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

No I agree with your reasoning, and I now understand what you meant and that it was an observation on what might help his game while we try and sort out our D game. I also agree that he has changed his game somewhat already and that may be contributing to his poor play at times. I just don't think we should ask him to change his game before we get a top pairing LHD and play a better D game. However if we are able to work out our D and he still isn't back to where we expect him to be then I may be more inclined to ask him to change his game like you suggested. I apologize I just wasn't understanding what you meant at first lol.

There you go then... we agree to agree!No need to apologize. This is all good discussion.

17 hours ago, campabee82 said:

You two are obviously not watching any of the games this year Price has been the Price of old for at least the last 6 games. Let's be honest you really think MB will get what he should if he traded Price, no he would do a 1 for 1 trade and get a RHD like Alzner to play with Alzner. The last 3 losses have been one on the D and 2 on bad penalties. First Drouin tonight and Domi last night. They killed our momentum in both games. If you make a Price trade it will just mirror the Roy trade we will get crap and be crap for another 20 years and where ever Price goes is likely to win the cup this year. Only difference to what your suggesting is that Roy demanded a trade and your trying to push out our BEST asset. Even if MB makes that trade we will lose EVERY time. No trade works in our favor when Price is moved, kind of like if Nylander is moved out of Toronto they can't win that trade either no matter who they get in return. 

Don`t assume that either of us have not watched any games this year.

Yes I do think that MB or any GM for that matter could get a fair return for Price.

Anyway it`s a moot point because we simply agree to disagree.

2 minutes ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

Don`t assume that either of us have not watched any games this year.

Yes I do think that MB or any GM for that matter could get a fair return for Price.

Anyway it`s a moot point because we simply agree to disagree.

My apologies for the first comment I shouldn't have gotten so defensive on the topic.

I don't believe that MB has the ability to get what he should if he traded Price. Especially after he botched the Patciorety deal. Honestly IMO we should have been able to get more. 

Actually it's a moot point cause right now Price is off limits according to most analysts. Your right though we have to agree to disagree on this issue cause I don't believe we need to move Price to get better I believe we need to keep him.

Moving Price would be a colossal feat. Pretty sure he has a full NMC and I doubt very much if he can be convinced to waive it and uproot his family. A lot of moving parts would have to be involved as most teams wouldn't have the Cap space or the budget. I doubt MB has the smarts to pull off something like this.

Note that i'm not advocating trading Price but if a deal made sense for us I could be convinced. 

29 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Moving Price would be a colossal feat. Pretty sure he has a full NMC and I doubt very much if he can be convinced to waive it and uproot his family. A lot of moving parts would have to be involved as most teams wouldn't have the Cap space or the budget. I doubt MB has the smarts to pull off something like this.

Note that i'm not advocating trading Price but if a deal made sense for us I could be convinced. 

Yeah I get it but there is one team I am sure he waives it for that is Vancouver. Don't know who we would want other than Petterson or Beosser which the Canucks aren't moving.

Edited by campabee82

There are times when Price misses shots and there are times when the D around him makes him look bad. All arguments set aside, him and Weber are our biggest assets and would yield the biggest return. Either one of them or both should be traded by anyone other than MB. Too many factors are against us, Price's salary and MB's deficiencies. If we hold on to Price we risk most of the rest of his career behind a terrible D. If we trade forwards to acquire some D we fill a hole and create another. There is another factor in play that we may see Price asking for a trade eventually. I can't see him having much fun back there with barely an AHL lineup defensive wise. All i say is whether Price is done or not, I would rather be mediocre with an average goalie and a smaller contract. I keep reiterating the fact that Pittsburgh did it with Murray but that was the perfect storm.

Edited by habby67

16 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Yeah, I don't think Price is going anywhere. Maybe near the end of his contract if he wants to go somewhere else for 1-2 seasons in an attempt to win a Cup, but right now... Price is here to stay.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah, I don't think Price is going anywhere. Maybe near the end of his contract if he wants to go somewhere else for 1-2 seasons in an attempt to win a Cup, but right now... Price is here to stay.

By then though he'll have won 3 cups here!!! We Hope!!!

50 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

By then though he'll have won 3 cups here!!! We Hope!!!

Yes, yes, of course! I meant he might want to go elsewhere and win his FOURTH Cup, because there's nothing better than winning Cups with two different teams! ;) Just ask Patrick Roy!

Edited by jennifer_rocket

As much as I would like to see Price traded, he is far from done. Pretty sure a deal with Calgary, could help both teams.

That being said, I thought early on if we could get to Weber's return and be over .500 we would be fine. Any d-man that plays 25+ minutes per game can make an impact. 

Since they will never trade Price, lets see what happens. May take Weber 10 games to get back in to game shape. But if he takes one of the lesser lights out of the rotation that in itself will help the team. After that who knows how we might start rolling.

4 hours ago, tony5775 said:

As much as I would like to see Price traded, he is far from done. Pretty sure a deal with Calgary, could help both teams.

That being said, I thought early on if we could get to Weber's return and be over .500 we would be fine. Any d-man that plays 25+ minutes per game can make an impact. 

Since they will never trade Price, lets see what happens. May take Weber 10 games to get back in to game shape. But if he takes one of the lesser lights out of the rotation that in itself will help the team. After that who knows how we might start rolling.

I imagine that the players should have an initial jump or boost when he comes back. If we could be fortunate enough for him to score a PP goal on top of it in his first or second game back that may just give the team some needed confidence and if our PP gets a little better even slow improvement will mean a lot.

It sure appears he is now back. I say this as I watch last night and most recent games. His positioning and reactions are back and his confidence handling the puck looks so much sharper. When he can help moving the puck forward its great. It slows the other teams fore-check and with our speedy forwards can catch other teams. 

8 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

It sure appears he is now back. I say this as I watch last night and most recent games. His positioning and reactions are back and his confidence handling the puck looks so much sharper. When he can help moving the puck forward its great. It slows the other teams fore-check and with our speedy forwards can catch other teams. 

I agree. Last night an 'average' goalie could have let him 6+ goals and not be faulted for any of them.  That one play where Benn just lost his man behind his net & he came out front uncontested, almost all goalies in the league let that one in but Price was in control the whole time. 

Recently it feels like the only goals he's let in are ones where he's screened or he's anticipating the puck going one way & the player whiffs or its deflected.  He's looked sharp since the Alberta/BC trip. 

A giant NO Price isn't done. He just got his 300th win! He has been playing with an edge like he's got something to prove. I believe he wants that #1 all time wins by a HAB and he's going for it!

Since the Alberta/BC swing he's been completely different.  Interestingly he said that he and Waite watched a bunch of old games of him playing at his best. Whatever did it, his swagger is definitely coming back.  

17 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Since the Alberta/BC swing he's been completely different.  Interestingly he said that he and Waite watched a bunch of old games of him playing at his best. Whatever did it, his swagger is definitely coming back.  

Therein lies the conundrum. We all know that Niemi will have to play sometime, and if Carey's on a roll, when does Niemi get in?  <shudders to ask>

34 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Therein lies the conundrum. We all know that Niemi will have to play sometime, and if Carey's on a roll, when does Niemi get in?  <shudders to ask>

After Sat we have a 5 day break, so Price might just play the next B2B also in Florida. CJ had a habit of using Rask in B2B's in Boston, so we know he`s not afraid of burning out his starters.