HabsRuleForever

Nick Suzuki

133 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

He's got 20pts in his last 6 games .... 

went from #30 in OHL to #11

Do you know if he's being used as a center or a winger right now?

On 3/4/2019 at 11:32 AM, jennifer_rocket said:

Do you know if he's being used as a center or a winger right now?

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2019/2/13/18220972/chicago-blackhawks-prospect-mackenzie-entwistle-taking-reps-at-center-guelph-storm-ohl-2019

Despite the positive result, Burnett shuffled things up for Sunday’s game back at home against the Kingston Frontenacs, perhaps in an attempt to spread out the offense with Hillis on the shelf. Entwistle remained at center with Suzuki to his right, but they were joined on the so-called second line by Alexey Toropchenko, a 2017 fourth-round pick by the Blues.

But then :

https://www.secondcityhockey.com/2019/2/28/18242009/chicago-blackhawks-prospect-mackenzie-entwistle-updates-analysis-guelph-storm-ohl-2019

This article says that line was broken up ... 

So I think they're bouncing him from C and RW

Edited by HabsAlways

The Guelph Storm will be playing the London Knights in the Western OHL POs., annnnnnnnd the London TV station will televise the games, and their games start on Fri. :freu1: Guelph swept the Kitchener Rangers in 4 games. Nick has 4G and 3A. he has 1 PPG, and 18 SOG., and a +5, with 2 GW. 

Great chance to watch Nick. :)

Edited by kinot-2

Guelph beat the Knights, and moves on. Suzuki leads the league in PO PTs. with 21. 10G and 11 A. in 8 PO GP.  :)

Saginaw beat them tonight. 

BTW, Suzuki now leads the OHL in PO scoring with 24 PTs.

10 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

BTW, Suzuki now leads the OHL in PO scoring with 24 PTs.

I wonder if he'll be ready for Montreal next season. Or... Laval, I guess. It would be nice to see him succeed offensively in Laval if possible.

43 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I wonder if he'll be ready for Montreal next season. Or... Laval, I guess. It would be nice to see him succeed offensively in Laval if possible.

I feel like there's a pretty good chance he sticks around in Montreal but probably at RW.  

Last year I think he might have been given a 9 game trial (Doubt if he would have stuck) had JK not been ahead of schedule.

I know Poehling will most likely be with the bigs but i think there's a chance we end up with a 'kid line' that Julien tries to shelter.  Should be a pretty competitive camp. 

Leading all OHL scorers in the playoffs  14gp 11g 13a 24pts

On 4/23/2019 at 0:26 PM, HabsAlways said:

Leading all OHL scorers in the playoffs  14gp 11g 13a 24pts

I hope it can translate into similar production in the NHL

Nick got a goal tonight to extend his point streak to 14 games. Every game he has scored in. The Storm move on to meet Ottawa in the OHL championship. :) 

Saw some footage of Nick from game 6 he was a beast. Thinking he isn't going to give CJ or MB a choice but to keep him out of camp next season. 

3 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Saw some footage of Nick from game 6 he was a beast. Thinking he isn't going to give CJ or MB a choice but to keep him out of camp next season. 

Was wondering the same thing, but then someone else will have to be sacrificed. 

6 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

I think that we have parts we can sacrifice of required like Shaw, Thompson, Weal, Hudon, Wiese, Deslauriers, Peca and even Armia but would rather not let Armia go if it could be avoided. Also all but the first 3 and Armia should be demoted to the AHL next season so they won't come into play. So of the 4 NHL players I think the order should be Shaw (Just cause of his concussion history), Thompson, Weal then Armia.

8 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

on a positive, we came into camp this year with like 9 LHD and the coaching staff cut all the dead weight (including expensive and experienced choices like Alzner and Schlemko) so hopefully the same will hold true for our forwards next year.    I dont think anyone has problems with depth signings, providing the roster spots are given out based on merit. 

Storm’s Nick Suzuki Named OHL’s Most Sportsmanlike Player.

Suzuki earns the award for a record third straight season after finishing 11th in league scoring by compiling 94 points including 34 goals and 60 assists along with a plus-minus rating of plus-40 in 59 games played.  He recorded just 12 penalty minutes in 2018-19 which was lowest among the league’s top-14 point producers and third fewest among the league’s top-35.

“It is a huge honour to be chosen as the Most Sportsmanlike Player of the Year,” says Suzuki. “To be named for the third straight year is unbelievable to me and I wouldn’t be in this position without the support of all my family and teammates.”

22 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Storm’s Nick Suzuki Named OHL’s Most Sportsmanlike Player.

Suzuki earns the award for a record third straight season after finishing 11th in league scoring by compiling 94 points including 34 goals and 60 assists along with a plus-minus rating of plus-40 in 59 games played.  He recorded just 12 penalty minutes in 2018-19 which was lowest among the league’s top-14 point producers and third fewest among the league’s top-35.

“It is a huge honour to be chosen as the Most Sportsmanlike Player of the Year,” says Suzuki. “To be named for the third straight year is unbelievable to me and I wouldn’t be in this position without the support of all my family and teammates.”

Future Lady Byng winner?  I think Mats Naslund & Toe Blake are the only 2 habs ever to have won? 

He scored again tonight in a 7-2 loss. 

Edited by kinot-2

Had Nick played the full 68 games (ie did not miss due to WJC) ... he would have been top 5 in the OHL in scoring.   Only two other players ahead of him missed as many games, and his point pace put him in the top 5 for sure. 

The Patches for Suzuki/Tatar trade (considering we also have a 2nd round pick from it to come) is looking like a real gem.

53 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Had Nick played the full 68 games (ie did not miss due to WJC) ... he would have been top 5 in the OHL in scoring.   Only two other players ahead of him missed as many games, and his point pace put him in the top 5 for sure. 

The Patches for Suzuki/Tatar trade (considering we also have a 2nd round pick from it to come) is looking like a real gem.

Indeed. It appears the deal has worked out for both teams, but I feel like we "won" the deal based on what's to come. I know that's presumptuous, but... Suzuki looks like a really good young prospect. Hopefully the second rounder works out well, too!

He picked up 3A in a 7-2 romp over the 67's, and wasn't even named a star. 35 PTs. in 17 PO games.

Edited by kinot-2

closest thing to blue chip prospect we have had in a while.

17 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

closest thing to blue chip prospect we have had in a while.

I think Kotkaneimi is still probably a higher end prospect - remember, he's a year younger and has played the last 2 seasons against men  - but yes, I agree Suzuki looks excellent.  

Add to that the fact that Brook was the top scoring defensman in the WHL this year (despite playing less games than many of his peers), Romanov was probably the best young defensman in the KHL and that Poehling looks poised to make a splash too & we finally have some very good young prospects. 

22 hours ago, maas_art said:

I think Kotkaneimi is still probably a higher end prospect - remember, he's a year younger and has played the last 2 seasons against men  - but yes, I agree Suzuki looks excellent.  

Add to that the fact that Brook was the top scoring defensman in the WHL this year (despite playing less games than many of his peers), Romanov was probably the best young defensman in the KHL and that Poehling looks poised to make a splash too & we finally have some very good young prospects. 

I can see why you would make the argument about KK and i hope you are right but Suzuki is pretty much carrying his team and great in clutch game seven and elimination games right now. if that carries over he is going to be pretty sensational. we won't really know till they both have a couple of seasons in the bigs under their belts but things lookd very good up front right now with what we have and what is coming. if we get that #1 LD sorted we will be really quite good.