HabsRuleForever

Nick Suzuki

93 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Guelph wins, tonight 5-4, series tied at 2. Nick gets 1G, 2A.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,38 PTs. 

Edited by kinot-2

20 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Guelph wins, tonight 5-4, series tied at 2. Nick gets 1G, 2A.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,38 PTs. 

The kid seems like a lock at this point for a top 6 wing position next year. Next season could be the funnest to watch in the last 20 years. With fast skilled in your face forwards and an average defense and Price in top form our only real weaknesses could be the 1 LHD and whether or not Lindgren can do better than Niemi. Conventional wisdom says Lindgren can and will be better but only time will tell.

Posted (edited)

Nick got an A in tonight's game, won by Guelph 4-3. He just keeps on rollin along. :)

BTW, Guelph leads the series 3-2, coming back to Guelph on Sun. 

Edited by kinot-2

The Storm took the 67's today in Guelph, with Suzuki getting 3 PTs. in an 8-3 romp. Nick now has 42 PTs. to lead all OHLers in scoring.

The Memorial Cup starts on Sat. at 3:30 est. and the Storm will play Rouyn-Noranda  at that time. TSN "should" broadcast all of the games.  

A good chance to see Nick play. 

He is the real deal. can't wait to see him transition to nhl level play.

Interestingly, at the time of the trade Bergevin was trying to land Cody Glass, not Nick Suzuki.  Rumours were we wanted Glass + Tatar for Patches but the Knights would not let Glass go so we 'settled' for Suzuki + Second instead (plus tatar of course, who was always part of the deal to offset the $$$) 

Fast forward a year & im not sure which player has the most promise.   Glass is definitely still a top flight prospect but it seems like Nick has taken an even bigger step forward. 

Will be interesting to see how both transition into the NHL, presumably next year. 

14 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Interestingly, at the time of the trade Bergevin was trying to land Cody Glass, not Nick Suzuki.  Rumours were we wanted Glass + Tatar for Patches but the Knights would not let Glass go so we 'settled' for Suzuki + Second instead (plus tatar of course, who was always part of the deal to offset the $$$) 

Fast forward a year & im not sure which player has the most promise.   Glass is definitely still a top flight prospect but it seems like Nick has taken an even bigger step forward. 

Will be interesting to see how both transition into the NHL, presumably next year. 

I didn't like the trade then thought Patches could have landed more but with the time to process I realize the patches was good but never as elite as we viewed him to be. The trade has certainly worked out in our favour. Nick has proved he can elevate his game when he needs to in the playoffs which we desperately need. Looking forward to him and Poeling with the big club next season if even just for a 10 game tryout.

10 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I didn't like the trade then thought Patches could have landed more but with the time to process I realize the patches was good but never as elite as we viewed him to be. The trade has certainly worked out in our favour. Nick has proved he can elevate his game when he needs to in the playoffs which we desperately need. Looking forward to him and Poeling with the big club next season if even just for a 10 game tryout.

Don't want to count my chickens before they hatch but I honestly believe they are both good enough to make the team. It's one of the reasons I would really like to move a forward out. Especially for Suzuki, who I don't believe can play in AHL next year. At least with Poehling, we can give him some good minutes and AHL and bring him up when we have injuries etc. These guys need minutes, not the 4th line

19 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Especially for Suzuki, who I don't believe can play in AHL next year. 

He's eligible.  The CHL-AHL agreement is that players who are under 20 (by December 31st of that year) are ineligible.  Nick will be 20 in August. 

13 minutes ago, maas_art said:

He's eligible.  The CHL-AHL agreement is that players who are under 20 (by December 31st of that year) are ineligible.  Nick will be 20 in August. 

awesome!

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

I think Glass is still viewed as the more valuable asset. He projects as a top 6 center, and I doubt Vegas would deal us Glass straight up for Suzuki today, despite Nick's success in the OHL. Suzuki projects as a scoring winger in the NHL, but it's hard to know whether his talent will translate and whether he'll be a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd line player, or a bust altogether. Unfortunately, there have been plenty of prolific minor league scorers who haven't been able to do much in the NHL, but I like Suzuki's chances of at least being a middle 6 player, maybe more. In any case, hard not to love the Pacioretty trade, which could end up being one that works out well for both teams.

another 1g 2a in tonights win, Guelph moves on to Memorial

13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I think Glass is still viewed as the more valuable asset. He projects as a top 6 center, and I doubt Vegas would deal us Glass straight up for Suzuki today, despite Nick's success in the OHL. Suzuki projects as a scoring winger in the NHL, but it's hard to know whether his talent will translate and whether he'll be a 1st, 2nd, or 3rd line player, or a bust altogether. Unfortunately, there have been plenty of prolific minor league scorers who haven't been able to do much in the NHL, but I like Suzuki's chances of at least being a middle 6 player, maybe more. In any case, hard not to love the Pacioretty trade, which could end up being one that works out well for both teams.

Yeah i think you're right but i do think the gap between them has been lessened.  It will be interesting to see what that 2nd rounder ends up turning into... 

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/suzuki-postseason-phenom/c-307371046

His 42 points was an impressive 11 points clear of his closest rival. The last time there was such a significant gap in between the first and second leading point-getters in the OHL playoffs was back in 2015 when Connor McDavid finished the postseason with an 18-point advantage. 

Suzuki is also part of a select group. He's just the fifth player since 2010 to reach the 40-point plateau during a playoff run. He joins NHL stars like McDavid (49 points), Mitch Marner (44 points), Mark Scheifele (41 points) and Matthew Tkachuk (40 points).

As I keep saying, Nick is highly undervalued.   If his name had been Nick Smith he'd have been a top 3 draft choice his year.   

1 minute ago, HabsAlways said:

Suzuki is also part of a select group. He's just the fifth player since 2010 to reach the 40-point plateau during a playoff run. He joins NHL stars like McDavid (49 points), Mitch Marner (44 points), Mark Scheifele (41 points) and Matthew Tkachuk (40 points).

Thats a pretty impressive group of players... wow. Wayne Gretzky Trophy as the postseason MVP, not too shabby Nick :)

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

Thats a pretty impressive group of players... wow. Wayne Gretzky Trophy as the postseason MVP, not too shabby Nick :)

That IS INDEED an impressive group of players. If Nick turns out to be as good as those guys in the NHL, that will be very exciting!

After the tough loss to Guelph, Ottawa 67's coach Andre Tourigny spoke to 98.5fm and was asked about Suzuki. 

Tourigny pointed out that Suzuki is far from a one dimensional player.

"He makes good decisions all over the ice. He's very smart. He reads the game. He's always in position and protects the puck. When he has the puck, it's really hard to get it away from him. He's good on faceoffs, shorthanded, on the powerplay. He blocks shots. He's a good hockey player."

"Any coach will tell you that he's a hockey player. You don't have to look at the game clock before sending him on the ice or worry about who's jumping on the ice for the other team. You can send him into play anytime, in any situation, he gets the job done."

When asked to compare him to a current NHL player, Tourigny made a pretty interesting selection and one he's already coached. 

"The coaches will love him. He wins hockey games. The Canadiens' will love him for a long time... Comparisons are always difficult but I would chose Ryan O'Reilly. That's the kind of player he is. No matter who Suzuki plays with he makes his teammates play better. The same was with O'Reilly who I've already coached. Suzuki won't disappoint it's a safe sure, sure thing."

:freu1:   If you've never seen him play, tune in to the Memorial Cup that starts this Sat. Guelph will play the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies. 

Really beginning to feel like Nick will be ready out of camp next year if that's the case I say we focus most of our resources on trying to get that top LHD and a top UFA. If Nick can be our game breaker as early as next year we won't have to try as hard at acquiring one of the top FA's

Guelph won first game in Memorial, Nick got a goal

On 5/12/2019 at 5:44 PM, ramcharger440 said:

He is the real deal. can't wait to see him transition to nhl level play.

I will say it again, this guy is the real deal. it is going to be a great training camp this year!

11 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

I will say it again, this guy is the real deal. it is going to be a great training camp this year!

I hope you're right. He certainly looks promising... lots of skill and a smart player too. I'm a little hesitant to proclaim he'll be the real deal at the NHL level yet (which again, is not to say he won't be, but I just want to see how he does against men before getting my hopes up). You look at some of the best OHL players in history and they include guys like Andrew Cassels, Alex Debrincat, Dylan Strome, and Sergei Kostitsyn, all guys who made the NHL but were hardly the stars they were in junior. They also include guys who didn't make an impact at the NHL level... Sheldon Keefe? Mitch Lamoureux? Bob Wren? Scott McCrory? One of the examples I remember best was Corey Locke, who absolutely tore up the OHL with 151 and 118 point seasons but only cracked the Habs line-up for 1 game despite his offensive promise.

So maybe Suzuki will be a legit player, and I certainly would rather see him have success in the OHL than none at all, but that isn't a guarantee by any means that he'll be able to play the same game against bigger, faster opponents. What I'll say for now... the kid has been a beast at the junior level. I think he deserves every shot to crack the top 9 in the NHL out of camp and I hope he gets to play pre-season next to someone like Domi or Kotkaniemi to see what he can do. If he's not ready, then he goes and plays a bit for Bouchard. And if he is, he'd better playing on a scoring line and not whittling his time away on the 4th line next to Deslauriers and Weise. It's time the Habs treated offensively-talented youngsters as assets instead of liabilities.

15 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I hope you're right. He certainly looks promising... lots of skill and a smart player too. I'm a little hesitant to proclaim he'll be the real deal at the NHL level yet (which again, is not to say he won't be, but I just want to see how he does against men before getting my hopes up). You look at some of the best OHL players in history and they include guys like Andrew Cassels, Alex Debrincat, Dylan Strome, and Sergei Kostitsyn, all guys who made the NHL but were hardly the stars they were in junior. They also include guys who didn't make an impact at the NHL level... Sheldon Keefe? Mitch Lamoureux? Bob Wren? Scott McCrory? One of the examples I remember best was Corey Locke, who absolutely tore up the OHL with 151 and 118 point seasons but only cracked the Habs line-up for 1 game despite his offensive promise.

So maybe Suzuki will be a legit player, and I certainly would rather see him have success in the OHL than none at all, but that isn't a guarantee by any means that he'll be able to play the same game against bigger, faster opponents. What I'll say for now... the kid has been a beast at the junior level. I think he deserves every shot to crack the top 9 in the NHL out of camp and I hope he gets to play pre-season next to someone like Domi or Kotkaniemi to see what he can do. If he's not ready, then he goes and plays a bit for Bouchard. And if he is, he'd better playing on a scoring line and not whittling his time away on the 4th line next to Deslauriers and Weise. It's time the Habs treated offensively-talented youngsters as assets instead of liabilities.

True, but he also is is in a group like Mitch Marner (one of the other 3-4 players in the last decade to get as many points in the playoffs as Nick).

18 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

This kid is carrying his team on his back at the toughest time of the year. i am not worried at all.