HabsRuleForever

Nick Suzuki

133 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

True, but he also is is in a group like Mitch Marner (one of the other 3-4 players in the last decade to get as many points in the playoffs as Nick).

47 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

This kid is carrying his team on his back at the toughest time of the year. i am not worried at all.

And again, not saying he won't have NHL-level success. All the signs are positive right now. Only saying that junior success doesn't always translate to the NHL. Yes, he will still have the skill and smarts he brings with him, but the opposition will be bigger, check him harder, and won't give him as much time and space. And the goalies are a lot better too. I'm hopeful like you, but I want him to prove something playing against NHL players before figuring out where he is in his development.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

And again, not saying he won't have NHL-level success. All the signs are positive right now. Only saying that junior success doesn't always translate to the NHL. Yes, he will still have the skill and smarts he brings with him, but the opposition will be bigger, check him harder, and won't give him as much time and space. And the goalies are a lot better too. I'm hopeful like you, but I want him to prove something playing against NHL players before figuring out where he is in his development.

He'll get his chance in training camp and the pre-season. :)

There is a reason to be excited for sure he is having a awesome playoff run.

Rob Scremp 47 points in 19 Games, Cory Pecker 42 points in 21 games, JUstin Papineu 51 points in 21 games. Never heard much from these players at the NHL level..

Quelph is pretty stacked with most drafted players in the Memorial Cup. He never really did much in the World Junior  or the regular season  ...There are over 463 players who scored more points in the Regular Season than Suzuki

It is junior hockey...I am gald he is having a great run...He looks really smart, and really efficient with the puck, smart in all areas of the ice. I liken him to Patrice Bergeron.

I think he will have a future in the NHL, but you never know until he gets there...

32 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

There is a reason to be excited for sure he is having a awesome playoff run.

Rob Scremp 47 points in 19 Games, Cory Pecker 42 points in 21 games, JUstin Papineu 51 points in 21 games. Never heard much from these players at the NHL level..

Quelph is pretty stacked with most drafted players in the Memorial Cup. He never really did much in the World Junior  or the regular season  ...There are over 463 players who scored more points in the Regular Season than Suzuki

It is junior hockey...I am gald he is having a great run...He looks really smart, and really efficient with the puck, smart in all areas of the ice. I liken him to Patrice Bergeron.

I think he will have a future in the NHL, but you never know until he gets there...

Schremp 2005

Pecker 2001

Papinau 1999

The game, even at the junior level, has changed since then.      Schremp was drafted in the 2004 draft, 

That year there are 11 out of the 30 that could be considered to have been full time NHL players,  10 that played at least 100 games but less than 500, and 9 that played less tahn 100 in the NHL.     1st round picks were far more of a crapshoot back then.

If we compare Nick to contemporary players :

He is just the fifth player since 2010 to reach the 40-point plateau during a playoff run. He joins NHL stars like McDavid (49 points), Mitch Marner (44 points), Mark Scheifele (41 points) and Matthew Tkachuk (40 points).      He's only the 5th player to reach/pass the 40pt plateau ... the other 4 names are all currently stars in the NHL.

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

And right back at you i am saying ''I AM NOT WORRIED''. you can feel free to have all the doubts you like.

6 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Opposition will be bigger yes, Goalies will be better yes, as for getting checked harder NO because checking is harder now in junior (My opinion).  It seems like we have alot of potential in the very near future again just my opinion.

18 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

And right back at you i am saying ''I AM NOT WORRIED''. you can feel free to have all the doubts you like.

And believe you me, I'm pulling for you to be right. I think the odds are better than average that he has success at the NHL level, I'm just not writing it in in ink.

16 hours ago, xxdocxx said:

Opposition will be bigger yes, Goalies will be better yes, as for getting checked harder NO because checking is harder now in junior (My opinion).  It seems like we have alot of potential in the very near future again just my opinion.

Wasn't referring to hitting or body-checking... I meant that checking (as in defence) will be tighter and that he'll have less space and time to maneuver.

16 hours ago, xxdocxx said:

You can be more amount of checking in junior , even so getting checked by kids 15-19 who haven't muscled up yet and aren't as strong on their feet or near as muscled up yet. Is a lot different than against men  physically strengthened and much heavier. I agree he is looking great but at the same time he is the older 19 year old against 15-16-17 year olds also. That is hugely different than being 19 playing against Men 18-35+. That is what I think  made KK able to adapt easier , he was already playing against men. If he was having this same amount of success and he was still 16-17 like Gretzkey and some others have ,than it would be far more impressive. We all hope it translates to having the same success in the NHL , but as stated I agree the "junior' level doesn't always translate to the same level in the NHL.  

You could always give him the 9 game tryout. 

1 hour ago, CaptWelly said:

You can be more amount of checking in junior , even so getting checked by kids 15-19 who haven't muscled up yet and aren't as strong on their feet or near as muscled up yet. Is a lot different than against men  physically strengthened and much heavier. I agree he is looking great but at the same time he is the older 19 year old against 15-16-17 year olds also. That is hugely different than being 19 playing against Men 18-35+. That is what I think  made KK able to adapt easier , he was already playing against men. If he was having this same amount of success and he was still 16-17 like Gretzkey and some others have ,than it would be far more impressive. We all hope it translates to having the same success in the NHL , but as stated I agree the "junior' level doesn't always translate to the same level in the NHL.  

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

You could always give him the 9 game tryout. 

If he looks good in camp I would say he absolutely gets the 9 game look. Hopefully he'll make the team and stay. He'll be turning 20 so he should fill out get stronger maybe faster could end up the real deal we will see. If he did go to the AHL for a while it wouldn't be the end of the world either. Hopefully in the AHL he would get top minutes and pp ect. if he ended up there. It is a big jump.

I'm also hoping Suzuki makes a huge impact for the Habs but, if there is one thing I've learned over the years when it comes to draft picks it's: Don't count your chickens before they hatch.

He picked up 2G and 1A in tonight's game won by the Storm 5-2. :)

8 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

He picked up 2G and 1A in tonight's game won by the Storm 5-2. :)

yep

All in all we are headed in the right direction for sure.

Guelph knocked out of Memorial Cup in semi-final,  Nick finished with 3g4a in 4 games to finsh 2nd (guy in first played 5 games).

At the OHL Awards banquet this week at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto, Ratcliffe received the Mickey Renaud Captain’s Trophy, while Suzuki was once again recognized as the league’s Most Sportsmanlike Player, becoming the first player to win the award on three occasions. :)

39 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

At the OHL Awards banquet this week at the Hockey Hall of Fame in Toronto, Ratcliffe received the Mickey Renaud Captain’s Trophy, while Suzuki was once again recognized as the league’s Most Sportsmanlike Player, becoming the first player to win the award on three occasions. :)

Nice a possible "Lady Bing" trophy candidate , a top scorer that stays out of the box and maybe draws penalties.....nice!

Looks like MB lucked out again! trade Patches at his lowest get a real deal blue chip in Suzuki and Tuna + i think it was all luck but really it worked out great for us! Tuna replaced Patches # right out of the gate and Suzuki should be a real good player for us. 

In both ways, Suzuki gotta be more pro-active. Not a question of individual stats. That being said, he's thinking too much. It slows him down a bit. Its speed of execution is on a slowmotion mode sometimes. He calculates the game during a puck possession well tho. Tryna to be implicated on the scoresheet as often as possible.

1 hour ago, ahmedou said:

sLoW :D

Don't know what player your watching but Suzuki makes the other team look like they are playing in slow motion 

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Don't know what player your watching but Suzuki makes the other team look like they are playing in slow motion 

yeah no kidding! he does not seem to have a lot of foot speed but he gets where he is going just fine!

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Excellent training camp. I am excited to see him in the lineup on Thursday!

Me too i think he is going to be something special. KK is very good but if we had not been so desperate for a competent center last year i don't think he would have made the team. Suzuki looks like he is 100% ready and should do quite well.

6 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Excellent training camp. I am excited to see him in the lineup on Thursday!

I am going to make a bold prediction:  If he and Domi stay together all year, they will both score over 20 goals (Domi will break 70 points again and nick will break 50)  and Suzuki will be in the discussion for the Calder.

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

Me too i think he is going to be something special. KK is very good but if we had not been so desperate for a competent center last year i don't think he would have made the team. Suzuki looks like he is 100% ready and should do quite well.

I agree although I think in JK's case they felt his development would go better at the NHL level than the AHL or back in Finland.  So even though he wasnt as ready as Nick, i think they kept him here because they felt it was better for his own progression.