HabsRuleForever

Nick Suzuki

140 posts in this topic

it will be interesting to see how he does tonight, he was a bit overwhelmed against the Leafs hope he has a solid bounce back game.

10 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

Sweet sweet deflection  goal tonight.

a goal scorer's goal for sure ...this kid will be around a long time in a Hab's jersey ...

I know some disregard with this when evaluating players , but I think this kid has the 'hockey sense or smarts".  Yes I know and intangible! He seems aware and able to read the game well. It's great to have skills some have it naturally some work at it to improve and develop themselves like Gallagher.  I think Nick is going to be a very good NHL player and one the coaches will love and be able to trust in. Which IMO is the best type of player to have.

Victor Olofsson with a knee injury that's expected to keep him out of the line-up for 4-6 weeks. So suddenly the Calder race got a little bit more open for Nick Suzuki. He still has work to do to catch Makar, but he's gotten closer to being in the mix now.

I am really impressed with this kid he is doing a great job.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Victor Olofsson with a knee injury that's expected to keep him out of the line-up for 4-6 weeks. So suddenly the Calder race got a little bit more open for Nick Suzuki. He still has work to do to catch Makar, but he's gotten closer to being in the mix now.

Makar & Hughes are the biggest challenges imho. The fact they are both D means Suzuki will have to finish quite a bit higher in points than either most likely.

Right now:

Olofsson: 42gp 35 pts - but remember he is 24 years old, some voters will consider that a big negative against 19-21 year olds -  and he is now injured.
Makar: 33 gp, 31 points
Hughes: 40gp, 29pts
Necas: 37gp, 23pts
Mikheyev 39gp, 23 points
Suzuki: 41gp 23points

I think Necas & Mikheyev could both fall behind Suzuki so the real challenges will be Olofsson (how long will he be out etc), Hughes (a lot of of points for a defensman) and Makar.

Unless Makar falls off a cliff I think he'll be tough to beat. While most of these guys are scoring at a .50-.70 PPG pace, Makar is at .94PPG - and as a defensman no less. Makar is actually tied for 7th with Weber among all defensmen in scoring despite having played 8-10 games less than most of them. 

I could see Suzuki as a finalist (especially when you consider he has a sizeable history of getting better in every league he's played in, as the seasons go on) but right now i think its Makar's to lose - even if Olofsson wasnt injured. 

Mikheyev I belive  is done for the year . He cut his hand

10 hours ago, maas_art said:

Makar & Hughes are the biggest challenges imho. The fact they are both D means Suzuki will have to finish quite a bit higher in points than either most likely.

Right now:

Olofsson: 42gp 35 pts - but remember he is 24 years old, some voters will consider that a big negative against 19-21 year olds -  and he is now injured.
Makar: 33 gp, 31 points
Hughes: 40gp, 29pts
Necas: 37gp, 23pts
Mikheyev 39gp, 23 points
Suzuki: 41gp 23points

I think Necas & Mikheyev could both fall behind Suzuki so the real challenges will be Olofsson (how long will he be out etc), Hughes (a lot of of points for a defensman) and Makar.

Unless Makar falls off a cliff I think he'll be tough to beat. While most of these guys are scoring at a .50-.70 PPG pace, Makar is at .94PPG - and as a defensman no less. Makar is actually tied for 7th with Weber among all defensmen in scoring despite having played 8-10 games less than most of them. 

I could see Suzuki as a finalist (especially when you consider he has a sizeable history of getting better in every league he's played in, as the seasons go on) but right now i think its Makar's to lose - even if Olofsson wasnt injured. 

I agree with this, he has been getting better here too will be interesting to see how he finishes.

He continues to amaze & will only get better. 

One day he'll be as good as Cousins or maybe even Weal. 

On 1/31/2020 at 1:38 PM, HabsRuleForever said:

He continues to amaze & will only get better. 

One day he'll be as good as Cousins or maybe even Weal. 

but will he have enough grit, sandpaper and truculence?   You cant measure those sorts of intangibles. 

15 hours ago, maas_art said:

but will he have enough grit, sandpaper and truculence?   You cant measure those sorts of intangibles. 

Ah, yes... Gritulpaper. :D

Suz is only 4 PTs. back of the rookie leader, (a week or so ago, he was 6-7 PTs. back), Quinn Hughes. Go Suzuki, get the Calder. 

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Suz is only 4 PTs. back of the rookie leader, (a week or so ago, he was 6-7 PTs. back), Quinn Hughes. Go Suzuki, get the Calder. 

One of the few bright spots this season for sure, keep going kid :)

Nick, through the course of the year has gotten better, he's gotten use to the size and speed of the NHL. Nick can play both ends of the rink, another reason he should be nominated for the Calder cup. Through interviews of his teammates he is well respected all great credentials to win the Rookie of the year. Go get it Nick..

1 minute ago, GG14 said:

Nick, through the course of the year has gotten better, he's gotten use to the size and speed of the NHL. Nick can play both ends of the rink, another reason he should be nominated for the Calder cup. Through interviews of his teammates he is well respected all great credentials to win the Rookie of the year. Go get it Nick..

I'd love to see Suzuki win the Calder but given that the two kids he's trailing in the scoring race are actually defencemen, I think he's facing a bit of an uphill battle in that regard. Anyway, still an amazing season for Nick, I believe he has a really bright future ahead of him.

1 minute ago, ChiLla said:

I'd love to see Suzuki win the Calder but given that the two kids he's trailing in the scoring race are actually defencemen, I think he's facing a bit of an uphill battle in that regard. Anyway, still an amazing season for Nick, I believe he has a really bright future ahead of him.

I think it's quite encouraging that he's even in the conversation. He's having an excellent rookie season. One of the few bright spots in another dismal season.

30 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think it's quite encouraging that he's even in the conversation. He's having an excellent rookie season. One of the few bright spots in another dismal season.

He’s in a large uphill battle to win the Calder against Elvis M the Columbus goalie or Makar or Quinn Hughes - he got off to a slow start due  to CJ establishing confidence in him. He certainly is not intimidated by heavy traffic like the Bruins game last night and has some good upside. A little proof that some mid-round picks   ( 13th) can out perform expectations 

11 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Agreed.  Unless he explodes to like 2 PPG for the remainder of the season its pretty unlikely he wins. but he should be in the conversation and possibly a finalist.  He's been absolutely outstanding and he's still one of the youngest top rookies to boot. 

Best player to show up here from our draft in quite some time and he is getting better as things get harder! i see a really bright future for him.

2 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Best player to show up here from our draft in quite some time and he is getting better as things get harder! i see a really bright future for him.

We didnt draft him though :P

The funny thing is that the rumour was that when started talking to Vegas about Pacioretty, MB REALLY wanted Cody Glass - like to the point of taking Glass + Tatar & no pick.  But Vegas was adamant that Glass was not available.  They offered Suzuki + 2nd as a consolation prize & MB and Timmins both did like Suzuki a lot so they were ok with it.

Im sure that Glass and Suzuki will both have amazing careers & its obviously super early but right now im kind of glad we got Nick and not Cody!

33 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Yeah we’re not that good at drafting. However I agree with you I see a bright future as well. 

His value is high right now... trade him :6396:

Right!  Just kiddng