H_T_L

TRADE DEADLINE FEB. 25th

431 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I hate Lucic too and especially with that contract but we may as well face it we are not getting Hughes unless you can wrangle the Sens pick from the Avs

With the lottery, there's no guarantee about Hughes anyways, but I think obtaining a 1st rounder is about more than just Hughes. Right now, we're looking at our own pick being in the 15-20 range, which doesn't help that much. But if we could theoretically acquire a 1st rounder in the top 6-8 then it opens up a bunch of possibilities... there's forward Kaapo Kakko who played for the Gold-medal winning Finnish team at the World juniors. There are two potential 1st-pairing D men in Philip Broberg and Bowen Byram, which is probably more of a need in terms of organizational depth right now. There are two big playmaking centers in Dylan Cozens and Kirby Dach. There's Russian star Vasili Podkolzin... there are options beyond Hughes. If I knew we would end up with our choice of Broberg or Byram as the Oilers' pick, then I would 100% deal Drouin to make that happen. But I wouldn't deal Drouin for a 20% chance of that happening and a risk that the Oilers make the playoffs and leave us with another mid-late 1st rounder with a 40% chance at making the NHL.

My thought was MB would send Petry to L.A. for Muzzin in one of his infamous 1 for 1 deals.

Why would we do that? Petry is probably a top 30 D man in the league. Muzzin is nowhere close to being as good as Petry.

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Why would we do that? Petry is probably a top 30 D man in the league. Muzzin is nowhere close to being as good as Petry.

I didn't say I wanted him to I said that's likely what he will try to do

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

I'd rather trade Drouin over Gallagher (I don't like Drouin). I also don't have much hope in Puljujarvi. But I do agree that we should really try to trade with Edmonton, and trading for the dmen you mentioned just isn't worth it

I dont think there's any possibility MB trades Gallagher.  Maybe Drouin. Maybe Tatar, but thats probably it from our top 9 to be honest. (maybe shaw if you count him as a top 9 player on this squad) I think MB believes he's building the core just how he wants it. 

58 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Just came across an interesting article suggesting we try and trade for Fowler of the Ducks here is the link

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2019/1/17/18182240/anaheim-ducks-trade-rumours-fire-sale-cam-fowler-hampus-lindholm-montreal-canadiens-marc-bergevin

thought?

What would we have to give up to get him? Do we have enough pieces we would be willing to part with? I feel like Anaheim would be asking for a lot if his name came up in trade discussions.

I am not sure what the price would be but he wouldn't be a rental cause he is 27 and under contract for 7 more years. Also worth noting that over the last 3 seasons he has been the 6th best Dman in the league. IMO it would be worth exploring the options.

I don't know how much I would value Fowler and what it would take. I would do Fowler for Alzner and our first (lottery protected for one year). But I don't think that gets it done

TSN....

Change Of Heart?

Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said earlier this month that he didn't expect to give up valuable long-term assets for rentals on expiring contracts to help this club push for a playoff spot.

With the Canadiens now sitting in the top wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference and equal in points with the Boston Bruins, TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger wonders if Bergevin might still look into upgrades for the immediate future.

"I think that Bergevin is being sincere in his want and his reluctance to trade away either prospects or draft picks," Dreger explained to TSN Radio 690 Montreal on Thursday. "You've got to continue to stock the cupboards and utilize your draft to your strengths and to your advantages. So I can appreciate that.

"I guess the one thing that I would question though is given the success of the Montreal Canadiens, if a player of interest is attainable, why wouldn't you got out and add that piece? At some point here in the near future - believe it or not, it's relatively early. I talked to L.A. last night and the message I got back from the L.A. Kings is it's still very quiet and that shocks me because you look at the pieces that the L.A. Kings are willing to part with; Tyler Toffoli, Jake Muzzin's name has been out there for a long-time. In fact, it's probably easier to say who they're not willing to part with, which sounds like it's pretty simple. It's Drew Doughty and Anze Kopitar and then after that it could be just a fire sale for the Los Angeles Kings.

"So if I'm Montreal, or I'm any other team for that matter, I've got to be able to figure out how Tyler Toffoli can help me on the wing. Or, there's rumblings of Brayden Schenn in St. Louis being available with only one year remaining on his contract, he could certainly help the Habs, or all the defensive pieces that are either in play or soon to be in play.

"I don't think that there's a lot of activity where the Canadiens are concerned, specifically trade negotiating, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bergevin steps into the pool and tries to upgrade based on some of the talent that could be available."

In Los Angeles, Toffoli, 26, has seven goals and 17 points in 47 games this season, while Muzzin, 29, has four goals and 20 points while averaging 21:33 of ice time per game of the Kings' blue line. Both are signed through next season.

Schenn, who carries a $5.125 million cap hit through next season, has nine goals and 24 points in 41 games with the Blues this season.

24 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

TSN....

Change Of Heart?

Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin said earlier this month that he didn't expect to give up valuable long-term assets for rentals on expiring contracts to help this club push for a playoff spot.

With the Canadiens now sitting in the top wild-card spot in the Eastern Conference and equal in points with the Boston Bruins, TSN Hockey Insider Darren Dreger wonders if Bergevin might still look into upgrades for the immediate future.

"I think that Bergevin is being sincere in his want and his reluctance to trade away either prospects or draft picks," Dreger explained to TSN Radio 690 Montreal on Thursday. "You've got to continue to stock the cupboards and utilize your draft to your strengths and to your advantages. So I can appreciate that.

"I guess the one thing that I would question though is given the success of the Montreal Canadiens, if a player of interest is attainable, why wouldn't you got out and add that piece? At some point here in the near future - believe it or not, it's relatively early. I talked to L.A. last night and the message I got back from the L.A. Kings is it's still very quiet and that shocks me because you look at the pieces that the L.A. Kings are willing to part with; Tyler Toffoli, Jake Muzzin's name has been out there for a long-time. In fact, it's probably easier to say who they're not willing to part with, which sounds like it's pretty simple. It's Drew Doughty and Anze Kopitar and then after that it could be just a fire sale for the Los Angeles Kings.

"So if I'm Montreal, or I'm any other team for that matter, I've got to be able to figure out how Tyler Toffoli can help me on the wing. Or, there's rumblings of Brayden Schenn in St. Louis being available with only one year remaining on his contract, he could certainly help the Habs, or all the defensive pieces that are either in play or soon to be in play.

"I don't think that there's a lot of activity where the Canadiens are concerned, specifically trade negotiating, but I wouldn't be surprised if Bergevin steps into the pool and tries to upgrade based on some of the talent that could be available."

In Los Angeles, Toffoli, 26, has seven goals and 17 points in 47 games this season, while Muzzin, 29, has four goals and 20 points while averaging 21:33 of ice time per game of the Kings' blue line. Both are signed through next season.

Schenn, who carries a $5.125 million cap hit through next season, has nine goals and 24 points in 41 games with the Blues this season.

I hope MB doesn't bite. Unless its really cheap... like if we can get Muzzin for a second and a B prospect, yeah I'd do that but I don't think it will get it done and I don't think he's worth any more. I'd rather be a seller and move one of our wingers

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

I don't know how much I would value Fowler and what it would take. I would do Fowler for Alzner and our first (lottery protected for one year). But I don't think that gets it done

Fowler is way better than Alzner and a first that's lottery protected. the article says they would be looking for something like the following: "The Ducks likely want a middle-six NHL forward and a first-round pick for their defender, which is about right for his talents. The thing is, the Ducks are in desperation mode, and as it’s been famously said “when you’re sinking, people only throw you anchors.” Montreal has a glut of middle-six forwards they could use in a trade, anyone from Andrew Shaw to Artturi Lehkonen fits the bill".  I wouldn't suggest giving up Lehkonen but one of say Shaw, Hudon, Peca, Armia or Tatar plus a Second and Benn may get it done

Fowler is way better than Alzner and a first that's lottery protected. the article says they would be looking for something like the following: "The Ducks likely want a middle-six NHL forward and a first-round pick for their defender, which is about right for his talents. The thing is, the Ducks are in desperation mode, and as it’s been famously said “when you’re sinking, people only throw you anchors.” Montreal has a glut of middle-six forwards they could use in a trade, anyone from Andrew Shaw to Artturi Lehkonen fits the bill".  I wouldn't suggest giving up Lehkonen but one of say Shaw, Hudon, Peca, Armia or Tatar plus a Second and Benn may get it done

I would move a middle six forward too, no problem. But as far as I'm concerned, if they want our first, they have to take Alzner's contract, otherwise I'm not interested. That's my opinion. 

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

I would move a middle six forward too, no problem. But as far as I'm concerned, if they want our first, they have to take Alzner's contract, otherwise I'm not interested. That's my opinion. 

I see sorry I thought you were saying Alzner and a first for Fowler, if they were to take the Alzner contract we would have to either retain some of his salary or take back another player cause they are at max cap space. I hate to give up our 1st for pretty much anything, but know it is worth it if the player works out long term.

Edited by campabee82

3 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I see sorry I thought you were saying Alzner and a first for Fowler, if they were to take the Alzner contract we would have to either retain some of his salary or take back another player cause they are at max cap space. I hate to give up our 1st for pretty much anything, but know it is worth it if the player works out long term.

yeah maybe, depending who we are giving up on the wing, but fowler makes more than Alzner. Anyway, I'm sure someone will give them more. If I'm Toronto, I'm all over that given that they will likely lose Gardiner

5 minutes ago, habsisme said:

wonder if they would take Hudon,, Benn, Alzner and a 1st for Fowler? then we could bring back Juulsen and line up:

Fowler-Weber

Mete-Petry

Reilly-Juulsen

Kulak

20 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

17 minutes ago, habsisme said:

If i was MB i would make some major inquiries about Fowler.  He's exactly what we need in our top 4 and could change the look of this defense overnight.

Id happily offer up a (top 10 protected) first rounder + a middle six forward like Lekhonen or Shaw + Hudon.   Im not convinced that would be enough but it would certainly get the talks rolling. As much as Id love it, i dont think they are taking Alzner unless we take back someone like Kessler or something. 

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

If i was MB i would make some major inquiries about Fowler.  He's exactly what we need in our top 4 and could change the look of this defense overnight.

Id happily offer up a (top 10 protected) first rounder + a middle six forward like Lekhonen or Shaw + Hudon.   Im not convinced that would be enough but it would certainly get the talks rolling. As much as Id love it, i dont think they are taking Alzner unless we take back someone like Kessler or something. 

I agree we would have to take back probably Kessler to send Alzner there and that makes no sense cause its a larger contract for the same time. I think if you offered them this years 1st it will be outside the top 10 anyway so there wouldn't have to be any conditions attached. I also think that they may be just desperate enough to take the 1st, Hudon and Benn for fowler but also be ready to add another pick or two to seal the deal.

18 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

wonder if they would take Hudon,, Benn, Alzner and a 1st for Fowler? then we could bring back Juulsen and line up:

Fowler-Weber

Mete-Petry

Reilly-Juulsen

Kulak

Hmm. The 1st round draft pick is the most appealing element in the deal. I don't really no what to make of Hudon. Maybe some teams would see some value in him. Benn and Alzner don't really add much to the deal. Alzner probably takes away from it, to be honest. Maybe a 1st round draft choice, Charles Hudon, and Mike Reilly?

6 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Hmm. The 1st round draft pick is the most appealing element in the deal. I don't really no what to make of Hudon. Maybe some teams would see some value in him. Benn and Alzner don't really add much to the deal. Alzner probably takes away from it, to be honest. Maybe a 1st round draft choice, Charles Hudon, and Mike Reilly?

Some GM's see Benn as an asset in the wrong system

I have a hard time imagining any team wanting to take on any part of Alzner's remaining contract. Even at 50% retention it's still a negative value for a guy who clearly does not belong in the NHL. Adding him to any deal is a clear dump, and likely a non starter in most transactions. Trading him means taking on somebody else's problem. We're probably going to have to wait another year and buy him out in 2011.

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah i think they want a top 9 forward - and probably one that is under 25 - so i think you have to include a guy like Lehkonen.   Shaw maybe but with his history of injuries i doubt it. I would balk completely at a guy like Domi or JK obviously.   If they wanted to Drouin id probably want more from them (and i dont think MB would move Drouin) because of the age difference.

So id try to build a deal around Lehkonen, the protected 1st (i know our pick this year is unlikely to be top 10 but even still I'd want it in writing just in case) and another piece like Hudon, Reilly or Kulak. 

With Fowler our top 4 would be totally set. Actually 5 of our top 6 spots would be:

Fowler - Weber

Mete - Petry

____ - Juulsen

So I think we can afford to lose a guy like Kulak or Reilly even though I like both of them.

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah i think they want a top 9 forward - and probably one that is under 25 - so i think you have to include a guy like Lehkonen.   Shaw maybe but with his history of injuries i doubt it. I would balk completely at a guy like Domi or JK obviously.   If they wanted to Drouin id probably want more from them (and i dont think MB would move Drouin) because of the age difference.

So id try to build a deal around Lehkonen, the protected 1st (i know our pick this year is unlikely to be top 10 but even still I'd want it in writing just in case) and another piece like Hudon, Reilly or Kulak. 

With Fowler our top 4 would be totally set. Actually 5 of our top 6 spots would be:

Fowler - Weber

Mete - Petry

____ - Juulsen

So I think we can afford to lose a guy like Kulak or Reilly even though I like both of them.

yeah cause we also have Ouellette who could come back as our 7th Dman

Interesting thing about Fowler is this is not the first time trade rumors surround him.   definitely a valuable asset , but I'm not convinced the Ducks even consider trading him  for what we can possibly offer that won't break our roster in other ways.

Our top 9 is pretty much set ... with Shaw being the only guy I see as expendable.   Wonder if they'd bite on Fowler for Shaw, Alzner, Hudon and a pick.  That gives them a top 9 forward in Shaw, another possible top 9 forward in Hudon, offset the contract a bit with Alzner and a pick they can get a prospect for.

If MB did manage to pull that off .. in 2-3 years our D would look like 

Fowler - Weber

Romanov - Petry

Mete - Brook 

(providing those two pan out as expected) .. that could be one of the better D corps in the league.

Another player to dangle might be Poehling ... who's trade value right now is high.   Danault is playing great and is objectively our shutdown C ... if you think Poehling will be about the same as Danult, then your 3Cs are Domi, Kotkaniemi, Danault/Poehling ... so dealing Poehling for a 1D signed for the next 7 years who's considered one of the top D in the league might make sense.

Edited by HabsAlways

I see Beaulieu has requested a trade. :ph34r:

10 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

I see Beaulieu has requested a trade. :ph34r:

Pity, I thought when we drafted him he'd be more of an offensive force ... seems he's never really found his game.   Not sure he'd be an upgrade over any of the guys we have playing on the left side.

Edited by HabsAlways