H_T_L

TRADE DEADLINE FEB. 25th

218 posts in this topic

The only trade I can think of that I truly despised was the Drouin one

I also hated the Domi one, but I was WAY wrong, I now LOVE Domi

I think people overstate the Weber deal, and more and more I feel like we really do have the better player

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd actually love to acquire a player like Schenn. He's a regular 20-goal center who can play tough and play with skill. And he's still only 27. The issue isn't whether to add him, it's whether it's worth paying the price to do so. And in that regard, it becomes a difficult trade to make. If the Blues are dealing him, it's because they want to get younger, and that type of trade where we deal away younger assets doesn't make a lot of sense to me. A year ago, maybe we needed to give up something to get a top 6 center, but that's not a big need anymore. Like I've said before, if we're making a significant trade, it's to fill the #1 LHD hole, not a center or winger.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is a forward then I could see MB looking at these players...

Micheal Ferland, W, Carolina Hurricanes
Ryan Dzingel, W, Ottawa Senators
Alex Chiasson, RW, Edmonton Oilers
Patrick Maroon, LW, St. Louis Blues
Brian Boyle, C, New Jersey Devils

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

If it is a forward then I could see MB looking at these players...

Micheal Ferland, W, Carolina Hurricanes
Ryan Dzingel, W, Ottawa Senators
Alex Chiasson, RW, Edmonton Oilers
Patrick Maroon, LW, St. Louis Blues
Brian Boyle, C, New Jersey Devils

Boyle would be a nice addition to the fourth line. The rest would be a big no.

Really think Edler would look really good beside Weber. No doubt Schenn would help in many ways.

The bigger question is what would we be willing to give up to get these guys and is it worth it. 

Edited by tony5775
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I'd actually love to acquire a player like Schenn. He's a regular 20-goal center who can play tough and play with skill. And he's still only 27. The issue isn't whether to add him, it's whether it's worth paying the price to do so. And in that regard, it becomes a difficult trade to make. If the Blues are dealing him, it's because they want to get younger, and that type of trade where we deal away younger assets doesn't make a lot of sense to me. A year ago, maybe we needed to give up something to get a top 6 center, but that's not a big need anymore. Like I've said before, if we're making a significant trade, it's to fill the #1 LHD hole, not a center or winger.

Exactly the problem with most deadline deals.  The best deadline deals require a team that is 'going for it' and a team that is 'out of it'   We are neither. 
So while we ideally want to get younger, and more skilled, the teams who are willing to deal are mostly looking for that in return.   

We could still make a 'hockey trade' like Cam Fowler or one of the young guys in Philly - but its going to cost us.   

I think the most likely scenarios for us are:

- We do virtually nothing

- We acquire some bad expiring contracts along with a good pick or young player (like the Mason/Armia deal) 

- We get a band-aid solution like Bouwmeester for a small return & reevaluate our LD situation in the summer.

I dont think its likely we will make a big trade & get a true young #1 LD but you never know. Its such a mess in Edmonton right now maybe we can pluck yet another top 4 dmen (like Klefbom) for  a minimal return. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pitts trades Brassard and Sheahan to the Panthers for Bjustad and McCann .

Edited by kinot-2
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^^^ Update on the above.

The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired forwards Nick Bjugstad and Jared McCann from the Florida Panthers for forward Derick Brassard, Riley Sheahanand three 2019 draft picks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

^^^^ Update on the above.

The Pittsburgh Penguins have acquired forwards Nick Bjugstad and Jared McCann from the Florida Panthers for forward Derick Brassard, Riley Sheahanand three 2019 draft picks.

With this addition and Guntzel set to earn 6 mil next year and Schultz will be back the Pens are about 3 mil over the cap next year with their current roster and if Schultz is expected to return this season they will need to clear out cap space for his return. So I would inquire about picking up Maata and Auston-Reese I think they would both help our team. I would rather have Fowler, Kleffbolm or Mathesson but Maata is no slouch either.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

I'd actually love to acquire a player like Schenn. He's a regular 20-goal center who can play tough and play with skill. And he's still only 27. The issue isn't whether to add him, it's whether it's worth paying the price to do so. And in that regard, it becomes a difficult trade to make. If the Blues are dealing him, it's because they want to get younger, and that type of trade where we deal away younger assets doesn't make a lot of sense to me. A year ago, maybe we needed to give up something to get a top 6 center, but that's not a big need anymore. Like I've said before, if we're making a significant trade, it's to fill the #1 LHD hole, not a center or winger.

I would love to get Schenn also. How about Schenn and Bouwmeister for Danualt, Hudon, and a second. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading some of the local St. Louis media, it appears Schenn has been playing recently with a knee brace and is "less than 100%." They think he has a nagging knee injury that may require off-season surgery or rehab. Sounds like something we'd want to stay away from anyways.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First pairing left D or nothing for me. we are in no rush this year, lets keep going young fast and talented, we have some very good veteran players and some mid career guys to keep us going till our young players mature.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the way this team is playing, they could be making a case for staying pat.  If it isn’t broke why fix it?  Hang on to your picks and get some more pieces to build on.  No one expected you to be this good.  If you’re already winning as is, why overpay at the deadline?  Unless something falls into your lap,  keep the guys who got you here together.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made a separate thread to laugh in but:

 

Habs acquire Weise, Folin from Flyers

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

I made a separate thread to laugh in but:

 

Habs acquire Weise, Folin from Flyers

It’s not all that laughable.  Dale Weise would be the only other forward from the 2014 ECF on the roster, if he ever got a call up.  Brendan Gallagher is the other.  He excelled as a Hab so don’t be at all surprised if he isn’t called up for the home stretch.  BTW, Dale Weise  and Thomas Fleishmann was what Chicago got for Phil Danault and a 2nd rounder that ended up being Romanov.  Not bad.  

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

It’s not all that laughable.  Dale Weise would be the only other forward from the 2014 ECF on the roster, if he ever got a call up.  Brendan Gallagher is the other.  He excelled as a Hab so don’t be at all surprised if he isn’t called up for the home stretch.  BTW, Dale Weise  and Thomas Fleishmann was what Chicago got for Phil Danault and a 2nd rounder that ended up being Romanov.  Not bad.  

agreed. Small but good deal

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weise is signed for one more year at a cheaper hit then Schlemko and Folin is a UFA at the end of this season. The bonus in all this is Schlemko being gone. Not sure if Weise is of any more use to the roster this year or next but i'd much rather see him in Laval over Schlemko,,, and it gives us a better option for a number 7 D then Alzner. I call this trade an attempt to clear out the garbage. Not sure we'll be as fortunate with Alzner. Likely a buyout next season or the following.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Weise is signed for one more year at a cheaper hit then Schlemko and Folin is a UFA at the end of this season. The bonus in all this is Schlemko being gone. Not sure if Weise is of any more use to the roster this year or next but i'd much rather see him in Laval over Schlemko,,, and it gives us a better option for a number 7 D then Alzner. I call this trade an attempt to clear out the garbage. Not sure we'll be as fortunate with Alzner. Likely a buyout next season or the following.

not sure i would call Alzner garbage i think the game has just passed him by, the fault is on the team for giving him the contract after getting boxed in!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Weise is signed for one more year at a cheaper hit then Schlemko and Folin is a UFA at the end of this season. The bonus in all this is Schlemko being gone. Not sure if Weise is of any more use to the roster this year or next but i'd much rather see him in Laval over Schlemko,,, and it gives us a better option for a number 7 D then Alzner. I call this trade an attempt to clear out the garbage. Not sure we'll be as fortunate with Alzner. Likely a buyout next season or the following.

Agree with everything you say... And though some may not agree, I do believe Weise will be an upgrade for the 4th line should he be called up. Size, experience and shoots right.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Agree with everything you say... And though some may not agree, I do believe Weise will be an upgrade for the 4th line should he be called up. Size, experience and shoots right.

Yeah, IF ... he's in over DLO most nights maybe.   If it's Weise - Chaput - DLo ... but sure I like that over Weise - Chaput - Peca/Agostino.    Sportsnet who  I despise usually pointed out how even our 4th line brings speed (Chaput/Peca) and that there's no single line we use that slows the game down.

Edited by HabsAlways
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oilers in Cap trouble??

Decision Coming

Edmonton Oilers defenceman Andrej Sekera has played two rehab games with the AHL's Bakersfield Condors, posting a plus-5 rating in his recovery from a torn Achilles. 

Kurt Leavins of The Edmonton Journal writes the Oilers could be faced with a decision on activating Sekera from injured reserve as soon as Wednesday, when he plays in his third AHL game. 

The Oilers are currently $1.19 million over the cap using the relief from having Sekera on long-term injured reserve. The team will have to clear cap space in order to activate Sekera, who carries a $5.5 million hit.

TSN Senior Hockey Reporter Frank Seravalli wrote last week that the Oilers' "cleanest option" could be to place both Brandon Manning and Alex Petrovic on waivers and demote both players to the AHL if they clear. Seravalli noted that waiving the two players would free the necessary space - as Petrovic carries a $1.95 million cap hit as a pending free agent and Manning counts for $2.25 million with one year left on his deal.

Leavins added that the Oilers could delay their decision if they chose to have Sekera play the maximum of five games in the AHL.

Sekera (LD) is 32 with a couple more years left at 5.5 . Any thoughts about helping them out?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Oilers in Cap trouble??

Decision Coming

Edmonton Oilers defenceman Andrej Sekera has played two rehab games with the AHL's Bakersfield Condors, posting a plus-5 rating in his recovery from a torn Achilles. 

Kurt Leavins of The Edmonton Journal writes the Oilers could be faced with a decision on activating Sekera from injured reserve as soon as Wednesday, when he plays in his third AHL game. 

The Oilers are currently $1.19 million over the cap using the relief from having Sekera on long-term injured reserve. The team will have to clear cap space in order to activate Sekera, who carries a $5.5 million hit.

TSN Senior Hockey Reporter Frank Seravalli wrote last week that the Oilers' "cleanest option" could be to place both Brandon Manning and Alex Petrovic on waivers and demote both players to the AHL if they clear. Seravalli noted that waiving the two players would free the necessary space - as Petrovic carries a $1.95 million cap hit as a pending free agent and Manning counts for $2.25 million with one year left on his deal.

Leavins added that the Oilers could delay their decision if they chose to have Sekera play the maximum of five games in the AHL.

Sekera (LD) is 32 with a couple more years left at 5.5 . Any thoughts about helping them out?

I don't think they will trade Sekera, they need him. Maybe we can take on one of their contracts and get a pick for our troubles but they don't NEED to do anything, they have a solution

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I don't think they will trade Sekera, they need him. Maybe we can take on one of their contracts and get a pick for our troubles but they don't NEED to do anything, they have a solution

yeah their cap isnt their biggest problem right now. Their biggest issue is that depsite having some of the most dynamic young players in the game they cant seem to get anything working right.  I am not sure what the solution is in Edmonton but I think most like it would be them trading 1 elite player for a bucket of depth.  I dont believe we're an ideal trading partner for them anymore (although I think we could have been last year) because I wouldnt want to mess with the chemistry we are developing across our lineup. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

yeah their cap isnt their biggest problem right now. Their biggest issue is that depsite having some of the most dynamic young players in the game they cant seem to get anything working right.  I am not sure what the solution is in Edmonton but I think most like it would be them trading 1 elite player for a bucket of depth.  I dont believe we're an ideal trading partner for them anymore (although I think we could have been last year) because I wouldnt want to mess with the chemistry we are developing across our lineup. 

It's amazing that Edmonton haven't managed to get it right in all these years. Yakupov essentially being a nothing player. Tradng Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome... and then to trade Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson... Oi. At least with McDavid you are 100% certain (barring a major injury) that you have your cornerstone.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

It's amazing that Edmonton haven't managed to get it right in all these years. Yakupov essentially being a nothing player. Tradng Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome... and then to trade Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson... Oi. At least with McDavid you are 100% certain (barring a major injury) that you have your cornerstone.

but if they dont get this fixed, he may want to leave

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

It's amazing that Edmonton haven't managed to get it right in all these years. Yakupov essentially being a nothing player. Tradng Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome... and then to trade Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson... Oi. At least with McDavid you are 100% certain (barring a major injury) that you have your cornerstone.

Right?

I mean the Yakupov thing is what it is. That was a super weak draft but even then they could have had Chucky or Forsburg.   

A team that includes:

McDavid
Draitsaitl
RNH
Klefbom
Nurse

And could have still had
Hall
Eberle

Just should not be this bad. 
 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.