H_T_L

TRADE DEADLINE FEB. 25th

431 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Right?

I mean the Yakupov thing is what it is. That was a super weak draft but even then they could have had Chucky or Forsburg.   

A team that includes:

McDavid
Draitsaitl
RNH
Klefbom
Nurse

And could have still had
Hall
Eberle

Just should not be this bad. 

Mismanaged for so long. And Puljujarvi is looking like another Yakupov

You can add Jeff Petry, Justin Schultz, and Devan Dubnyk to the players they should still have. But hey they signed Lucic! :4224:

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

It's amazing that Edmonton haven't managed to get it right in all these years. Yakupov essentially being a nothing player. Tradng Jordan Eberle for Ryan Strome... and then to trade Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson... Oi. At least with McDavid you are 100% certain (barring a major injury) that you have your cornerstone.

Hall for Larsson straight up was the problem.   Hall for Larsson and say 1st or 2nd would have been ok.

Then they go and sign that dinosaur Lucic.

The Eberle trade is even more damning ... Eberle for Strome.  Strome with Oilers was playing good as the 3rd line checking center.   They trade Strome for Spooner ... who is then waived after 1 month and sent to AHL.

So it's Eberle for nobody.   

Chiarelli made a mess of them

Edited by HabsAlways

So apparently, Florida REALLY wants to try to land Panarin and Bobrovsky. 

However, in order to do so, they need to shed some salary & the guy they are "most likely to trade" is  Jonathan Huberdeau.

This is an interesting situation because the Panthers would actually want to add picks/prospects not NHL players (Due to cap).  

So, if you're MB do you consider moving say, Poehling + pick?  

47 minutes ago, maas_art said:

However, in order to do so, they need to shed some salary & the guy they are "most likely to trade" is  Jonathan Huberdeau.

This is an interesting situation because the Panthers would actually want to add picks/prospects not NHL players (Due to cap).  

i'd give up almost anything for Huberdeau. He's young enough that its okay to move a prospect. Except maybe Romanov

Especially Poehling cause I worry he will be a free agent and go elsewhere 

Edited by habsisme

4 hours ago, maas_art said:

I think you have to make that trade if your MB but why stop there if they really are all in for Panarin and Bobrovski why not go Hudon + Poeling + Kulak + 2019 2nd for Huberdeau and Matheson. That would make us serious contenders both this year and for a decent number of years to come. We would be young, tallented and fast both on the roster and in the future. But where does that leave Byron, Peca and Deslauriers I say you trade Shaw for a pick and slot Byron in beside KK and move Lehkonen up to Domi's line leaving Peca and Deslauriers as extras. So after all is said and done basically we have 2.5 mil left on the cap this year if you move out Shaw's cap hit then maybe you can also deal Alzner somewhere even if it's for a 7th round pick or a depth AHLer maybe Dallas who has wanted him back takes him at a 50% retained salary for a career AHLer.

9 hours ago, maas_art said:

Absolutely, but I'm guessing Florida would want at least Poehling plus our 1st rounder for Huberdeau, and I'm not sure that'll be enough to be honest. He's a really good scoring winger on a very reasonable contract signed for another 4 years, he won't come cheap.

However, since they reportedly want both Panarin and Bobrovsky, they'd probably have to unload either Luongo's or Reimer's contract in the process...

Edited by ChiLla

4 hours ago, ChiLla said:

Absolutely, but I'm guessing Florida would want at least Poehling plus our 1st rounder for Huberdeau, and I'm not sure that'll be enough to be honest. He's a really good scoring winger on a very reasonable contract signed for another 4 years, he won't come cheap.

However, since they reportedly want both Panarin and Bobrovsky, they'd probably have to unload either Luongo's or Reimer's contract in the process...

Plus the fact that Columbus is not just doing this to free Cap space. They would be looking for quality roster players and picks in return. I'm guessing they would want Huberdeau one of the goaltenders and another roster player along with a couple of conditional first rounders (2019,2020 ) if they manage to resign them. I doubt the Panthers are just looking to move Huberdeau to another team He's likely key to the return being offered. I'd kick the tires but it's probably a futile effort.

13 hours ago, maas_art said:

I would trade Poehling + 1st rounder (2019) for Huberdeau, yep. He'll easily put together plenty of 60+ point seasons under his current contract (cap hit $5.9 million, four more full years).

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I would trade Poehling + 1st rounder (2019) for Huberdeau, yep. He'll easily put together plenty of 60+ point seasons under his current contract (cap hit $5.9 million, four more full years).

I would offer Suzuki before Poehling . Though they may not want Suzuki . I think Poehling has a pretty high ceiling and being a center is tougher to replace long term. Being that we have cap space and centers of the future I would love to get Panarin this summer as a free agent. 

Just now, CaptWelly said:

I would offer Suzuki before Poehling . Though they may not want Suzuki . I think Poehling has a pretty high ceiling and being a center is tougher to replace long term. Being that we have cap space and centers of the future I would love to get Panarin this summer as a free agent. 

Also doesn't Panarin want to go to a big market? Florida is a nice environment to play at but definitely not a big market.

21 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

Also doesn't Panarin want to go to a big market? Florida is a nice environment to play at but definitely not a big market.

Greater Miami is 5.5m I think thats a pretty sizeable market.  The whole "big market" thing has been downplayed by him though. He has said that he basically wants somewhere his girlfriend can have more modelling opportunities so Miami/Florida does fit that bill quite a bit. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

Greater Miami is 5.5m I think thats a pretty sizeable market.  The whole "big market" thing has been downplayed by him though. He has said that he basically wants somewhere his girlfriend can have more modelling opportunities so Miami/Florida does fit that bill quite a bit. 

Did he say the modelling thing or was that media speculation that has just been repeated over and over? Maybe he just hates Ohio, but doesn't want to say so.

15 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Did he say the modelling thing or was that media speculation that has just been repeated over and over? Maybe he just hates Ohio, but doesn't want to say so.

A little bit of both.  He did originally say he wanted a "bigger market" for her career. But since then he has used the word "metropolitan" and said he wants "opportunities" for his girlfriend.

Its possible he just doesnt like Columbus but i get the sense he wants to live somewhere with a nightlife and excitement - whether its for his GF's sake or not. 

No way do we move Poehling for Huberdeau.  The kids talent level is way beyond Huberdeau, I would rather see them give up a Charlie Lindgren for him TBH.  Fills the needs of both teams, a good two way center for us and a you good goalie to take over for the aged Luongo and aging Bob if they do make a trade.

We are just killing our farm system by giving away young player (Agostini).  Why we put that kid on waiver and lose him but yet keep Hudon, Deslauries, Chabot ect. is completely beyond mu understanding.

10 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

We are just killing our farm system by giving away young player (Agostini).  Why we put that kid on waiver and lose him but yet keep Hudon, Deslauries, Chabot ect. is completely beyond mu understanding.

Didn't help the farm situation but Agostino is not exactly a young prospect. He's 26 now and the League would consider that a journeyman. Same for Chaput. Neither is a big loss but it's leaving us short of bodies on the farm. It's important for them to make the playoffs also,, to help in their development.

25 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

No way do we move Poehling for Huberdeau.  The kids talent level is way beyond Huberdeau, I would rather see them give up a Charlie Lindgren for him TBH.  Fills the needs of both teams, a good two way center for us and a you good goalie to take over for the aged Luongo and aging Bob if they do make a trade.

Huberdeau is 25 years old and signed at a reasonable cap hit for several more years.  I am high on Poehling too but you arent getting JH for table scraps.  They would want a top flight, blue chip prospect - so its your choice of Kotkaniemi, Poehling or Suzuki. 

25 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Agostini will be 27 in 2 months. I dont think you can call him "young."   Hudon is 24 and has a considerably higher skill level (that the coaches seem unwilling to use for some reason).  Im not sure what you mean by Chabot. Are you talking Chaput? He was also put on waivers.  

The only player on our roster that baffles me is Dlo but whatever it is what it is  No one outside of our top 10 forwards is really going to make much of a difference either way.  Sure it will hurt Laval but MB can replenish those spots in trades or tryouts if need be. 

7 hours ago, H_T_L said:

Plus the fact that Columbus is not just doing this to free Cap space. They would be looking for quality roster players and picks in return.

Actually the speculation is that they wouldnt. They would specifically want players not on the cap.  A guy like Poehling (or Suzuki) would be exactly the type of player they were looking for.   Plus our 1st and/or maybe a cheap depth player. 

11 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Actually the speculation is that they wouldnt. They would specifically want players not on the cap.  A guy like Poehling (or Suzuki) would be exactly the type of player they were looking for.   Plus our 1st and/or maybe a cheap depth player. 

Columbus is still in a playoff position though. I'm sure prospects would be part of the ask but they can't leave two big holes in their lineup and still hope to get that playoff revenue. Huberdeau and one of the goaltenders would fill those holes for now. You would think that type of deal makes the most sense for them.

1 minute ago, H_T_L said:

Columbus is still in a playoff position though. I'm sure prospects would be part of the ask but they can't leave two big holes in their lineup and still hope to get that playoff revenue. Huberdeau and one of the goaltenders would fill those holes for now. You would think that type of deal makes the most sense for them.

Oh I agree - and honestly I dont think there's the slightest chance we make a move for him, but its interesting situation to be in. 

8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Oh I agree - and honestly I dont think there's the slightest chance we make a move for him, but its interesting situation to be in. 

I think the fan base would crucify them if they just traded those two for futures. I'm sure they (fans) all agree that they need to be moved before the deadline, rather then see them walk this summer for zip but i'd be pissed (as a fan) if Huberdeau and at least Reimer (stop gap) weren't part of the return ( or something very similar). If they abandon the playoff push that easily, id be screaming for a refund as a season ticket holder. That's why i don't think they would be shopping Huberdeau at all to any other team.

I also don't see why the Panthers are chasing Bob,,, He's not that much of an upgrade IMO, and apparently he's looking for Price type money and term. Hard pass for me. Panarin on the other hand,,,,,,,, yum yum

9 hours ago, CaptWelly said:

I think I heard quite a while ago Panarin wants to go to New York so his girlfriend can pursue a modeling career. 

Watch Panarin sign in, like... Boston during the summer. :lol: I find it funny how everyone keeps repeating the modelling thing. It's almost like the media is trying to put him down, for what... telling Columbus he doesn't want to sign in Columbus? "Look at Artemi Panarin, he values the input of his girlfriend! What a loser!" 

Just now, jennifer_rocket said:

Watch Panarin sign in, like... Boston during the summer. :lol: I find it funny how everyone keeps repeating the modelling thing. It's almost like the media is trying to put him down, for what... telling Columbus he doesn't want to sign in Columbus? "Look at Artemi Panarin, he values the input of his girlfriend! What a loser!" 

No doubt, the model thing seems way overblown. I think he'll sign a contract with the team that's going to offer him the most money, which is likely going to be a big-market team anyway. I also wouldn't be surprised if he just went back to Chicago, he's had great chemistry with Kane and the Hawks don't have the same Cap trouble anymore.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

No doubt, the model thing seems way overblown. I think he'll sign a contract with the team that's going to offer him the most money, which is likely going to be a big-market team anyway. I also wouldn't be surprised if he just went back to Chicago, he's had great chemistry with Kane and the Hawks don't have the same Cap trouble anymore.

I'm sure what Janet wanted had absolutely no influence on Gretsky when he decided to leave Edmonton? People (Athletes are human) make decisions everyday that they take into account family and so on into consideration. There actually isn't anything wrong with that. I do agree with above though , that I believe he has a good chance to go back to the Hawks now. Also above is no different from someone taking a "Home town" discount because they like where they already are.