H_T_L

TRADE DEADLINE FEB. 25th

217 posts in this topic

2 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

I'm sure what Janet wanted had absolutely no influence on Gretsky when he decided to leave Edmonton? People (Athletes are human) make decisions everyday that they take into account family and so on into consideration. There actually isn't anything wrong with that. I do agree with above though , that I believe he has a good chance to go back to the Hawks now. Also above is no different from someone taking a "Home town" discount because they like where they already are. 

except can you imagine what would happen if a female athlete said the same thing? Just saying

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

No doubt, the model thing seems way overblown. I think he'll sign a contract with the team that's going to offer him the most money, which is likely going to be a big-market team anyway. I also wouldn't be surprised if he just went back to Chicago, he's had great chemistry with Kane and the Hawks don't have the same Cap trouble anymore.

Indeed. $18+ million in projected cap space too. I wonder if he lands back in the Windy City.

22 hours ago, maas_art said:

Huberdeau is 25 years old and signed at a reasonable cap hit for several more years.  I am high on Poehling too but you arent getting JH for table scraps.  They would want a top flight, blue chip prospect - so its your choice of Kotkaniemi, Poehling or Suzuki. 

Lets face it we a re a fringe play off team that is having an amzing season, no way do you move any of those young players for Huberdeau.  I truly believe all 3 of those youngsters will be better than Huberdeau. 

22 hours ago, maas_art said:

Agostini will be 27 in 2 months. I dont think you can call him "young."   Hudon is 24 and has a considerably higher skill level (that the coaches seem unwilling to use for some reason).  Im not sure what you mean by Chabot. Are you talking Chaput? He was also put on waivers.  

The only player on our roster that baffles me is Dlo but whatever it is what it is  No one outside of our top 10 forwards is really going to make much of a difference either way.  Sure it will hurt Laval but MB can replenish those spots in trades or tryouts if need be. 

Sorry yes I did mean Chaput.  

5 minutes ago, 26NCounting said:

Lets face it we a re a fringe play off team that is having an amzing season, no way do you move any of those young players for Huberdeau.  I truly believe all 3 of those youngsters will be better than Huberdeau. 

Sorry yes I did mean Chaput.  

I highly doubt any of them end up as good as Huberdeau. He'd be the best forward on our team and likely our #1 C

30 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I highly doubt any of them end up as good as Huberdeau. He'd be the best forward on our team and likely our #1 C

Huberdeau is a LW for starters.  Kotkaniemi is head and shoulders a better player than Huberdeau.  Kotkaniemi is Elite. Huberdeau is not the answer in MTL.  Poehling is also Elite, not to mention game changing.  I reference the Sweden game at the world juniors this year where he scored a natural hat trick to tie the game.  Although the US lost, Poehling carried the team on his back to get them to overtime in the first place.  Both Kotkaniemi and Poehling are better than Huberdeau.  You could argue that Huberdeau is better than Suzuki and you may very well be correct, however, MTL is only one season removed from a ship-wreck/tire fire season.  I think it's in MTL's best interest to play a chess match with GM's who are tight against the cap and see what you can get for next to nothing.  Either that or do nothing at all.

This is the Sweden game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-0Nl3DqSjQ

9 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Huberdeau is a LW for starters.  Kotkaniemi is head and shoulders a better player than Huberdeau.  Kotkaniemi is Elite. Huberdeau is not the answer in MTL.  Poehling is also Elite, not to mention game changing.  I reference the Sweden game at the world juniors this year where he scored a natural hat trick to tie the game.  Although the US lost, Poehling carried the team on his back to get them to overtime in the first place.  Both Kotkaniemi and Poehling are better than Huberdeau.  You could argue that Huberdeau is better than Suzuki and you may very well be correct, however, MTL is only one season removed from a ship-wreck/tire fire season.  I think it's in MTL's best interest to play a chess match with GM's who are tight against the cap and see what you can get for next to nothing.  Either that or do nothing at all.

I agree. Like anyone I'd love to see a great playoff run. That said I actually think we have a real future moving forward and unless it's a sure thing , then lets play the hand we're dealt and ride it. It's all going to be good experience for the group. There is also something to a group who may be over achieving or growing into themselves , that we may not want to interrupt to much. This group has surprised me with games they haven't quit in their determination. They seem like they play for each other and really get along. As long as Carey can keep us in games and maybe steal a couple let them grow together and see where it gets you! Looking back the 93 team now has players we can call stars but at the time they weren't thought to go anywhere and look what happened! 

35 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I prefer to stick with the lines we have, we have out played some of the best teams for portions of games why mess with something that isn't broke. I would however go to Romanov's KHL team and try and present the best case possible for bringing him over next year. I understand that they may not accept our offer but you have to try. This team is looking extremely good and could actually be ahead of the Leafs with what we have and what we are getting through our development program. My only concern is who does MB determine is expendable next year when we have more youngsters making the team out of camp?

36 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Wouldn't it be awful of Poehling never even signed with us?

:5785:

3 hours ago, 26NCounting said:

I truly believe all 3 of those youngsters will be better than Huberdeau. 

I think JK will be. I am not sure if Suzuki or Poehling will be.  And I was by no means suggesting we should trade any of them for him, simply that Florida would want one of those 3 in return. They arent giving up Huberdeau for Hudon and Benn. 

3 hours ago, habsisme said:

I think there's a very good chance JK ends up being as good - actually, probably better - than Huberdeau but all 3 are a risk.  Huberdeau is an established top line player who is just hitting his prime and has several years left on a good contract.  Thats tough to pass up, if available. 

2 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Huberdeau is a LW for starters.  Kotkaniemi is head and shoulders a better player than Huberdeau.  Kotkaniemi is Elite. Huberdeau is not the answer in MTL.  Poehling is also Elite, not to mention game changing.  

There's one big thing here though:  Poehling has never played an NHL game. we've seen gamebreaking talent at the WJC who never translated to the NHL.  Huberdeau is 25, has 319pts in 440 NHL games and has been close to a PPG player (.8) the last 3 years.  He's a sure thing, he's proven.  The other guys are all prospects (albeit, JK is sure looking like the real deal and i would NOT trade him for anyone - other than like, McDavid, of course :P ) there's a huge risk for the team getting the prospect vs. the team getting the established player. 

In the end though, i think its totally moot. I dont see us trading any of those guys - unless its for an under 24, established top pairing LD - which, frankly,  im quiet happy with. 

The two names that I would like to see us add that could possibly be added without us mortgaging our entire future are Fowler and Toffoli. Not that I would expect either of them for free, but at least neither of them are the biggest fish out there. Unfortunately, with us just trading for Thompson (a trade that leaves me a little indifferent), my guess is we already swung and missed on Toffoli. But man, Fowler would round out our D just fine, and Toffoli, with that sweet right handed release of his would give us a legit full top 6.

I read something in regards to Gotstobehere, and thought "man! wouldn't that be something!" Although I couldn't imagine a price that wasn't too high for us to pay.

And now I hear Mark Stone might be available!? Stone would be absolutely perfect! Him and Gotstobehere would be amazing. But still, I'd be quite happy with Fowler and Toffoli (for the right price).

Otherwise, we should probably just hold on tight and see what happens.

Honestly, all this speculation and I don't think that MB would, nor he should, do anything. The trade deadline is when GMs overpay and make terrible mistakes, for the most part. In my opinion the only teams that should be worried about making a big move should be the likes of Tampa, Winnipeg, Toronto etc. Those are the teams that are built to win now. They are young and can afford to move prospects. I think Toronto should even consider moving Nylander to strengthen their D since they are going to need the cap space with Marner still up for negotiations. I'm happy with a little tweeking and seeing what this group can do with what we got.

1 hour ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

The two names that I would like to see us add that could possibly be added without us mortgaging our entire future are Fowler and Toffoli. Not that I would expect either of them for free, but at least neither of them are the biggest fish out there. Unfortunately, with us just trading for Thompson (a trade that leaves me a little indifferent), my guess is we already swung and missed on Toffoli. But man, Fowler would round out our D just fine, and Toffoli, with that sweet right handed release of his would give us a legit full top 6.

I read something in regards to Gotstobehere, and thought "man! wouldn't that be something!" Although I couldn't imagine a price that wasn't too high for us to pay.

And now I hear Mark Stone might be available!? Stone would be absolutely perfect! Him and Gotstobehere would be amazing. But still, I'd be quite happy with Fowler and Toffoli (for the right price).

Otherwise, we should probably just hold on tight and see what happens.

28 minutes ago, MuddyWaterMoose said:

Honestly, all this speculation and I don't think that MB would, nor he should, do anything. The trade deadline is when GMs overpay and make terrible mistakes, for the most part. In my opinion the only teams that should be worried about making a big move should be the likes of Tampa, Winnipeg, Toronto etc. Those are the teams that are built to win now. They are young and can afford to move prospects. I think Toronto should even consider moving Nylander to strengthen their D since they are going to need the cap space with Marner still up for negotiations. I'm happy with a little tweeking and seeing what this group can do with what we got.

Yeah, i honestly dont think anything major is going to happen.  Its fun to speculate - and we're actually in a position to acquire some guys for once (with depth and amazing prospects in our system) but I dont think we should necessarily move any.

Right now we have a team in transition with a bright future.  Up front we're already decent, with great depth - albeit our 'elite' talent is not quite ready yet, but our supporting cast is so young that they should all be ready in a couple of years.  

On the back end we have two top defensmen and then a whole bunch of quality 4-6 guys.   The problem is that the only thing we really "need" on defense is a top pairing LD but we're incredibly unlikely to get one unless we give up some of the aforementioned talent & depth.  So is it worth it?   If we simply go out & make a depth move I dont see how anyone we get ranks above Mete or even Reilly/Kulak, so what is the point?  

I suspect that after the tinkering we did on the 4th line we're probably more or less done. I could see MB adding another depth forward for a mid-tier pick, or maybe moving Benn if the return is decent. I could also see him shipping off Hudon for a 3rd rounder or a prospect better suited to our system. 

I really dont think we'll see anything major - unless - something big falls into MBs lap. We know that he's a "take it or leave it" GM so its entirely possible he made a crazy offer for a guy on the block (like he did with Vanek way back when) and if no one else comes through with something better, maybe his phone will ring but overall i think thats unlikely. 

21 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, i honestly dont think anything major is going to happen.  Its fun to speculate - and we're actually in a position to acquire some guys for once (with depth and amazing prospects in our system) but I dont think we should necessarily move any.

Right now we have a team in transition with a bright future.  Up front we're already decent, with great depth - albeit our 'elite' talent is not quite ready yet, but our supporting cast is so young that they should all be ready in a couple of years.  

On the back end we have two top defensmen and then a whole bunch of quality 4-6 guys.   The problem is that the only thing we really "need" on defense is a top pairing LD but we're incredibly unlikely to get one unless we give up some of the aforementioned talent & depth.  So is it worth it?   If we simply go out & make a depth move I dont see how anyone we get ranks above Mete or even Reilly/Kulak, so what is the point?  

I suspect that after the tinkering we did on the 4th line we're probably more or less done. I could see MB adding another depth forward for a mid-tier pick, or maybe moving Benn if the return is decent. I could also see him shipping off Hudon for a 3rd rounder or a prospect better suited to our system. 

I really dont think we'll see anything major - unless - something big falls into MBs lap. We know that he's a "take it or leave it" GM so its entirely possible he made a crazy offer for a guy on the block (like he did with Vanek way back when) and if no one else comes through with something better, maybe his phone will ring but overall i think thats unlikely. 

Yeah, I think you are probably right. Regardless, it should be an exciting time the rest of the way!

Ryan Spooner on the move again to Vancouver in exchange for Sam Gagner going to Edmonton. Oilers have been busy lately.

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Ryan Spooner on the move again to Vancouver in exchange for Sam Gagner going to Edmonton. Oilers have been busy lately.

Kieth Gretzky has so much more work to do for whoever takes over in EDM.  KG needs to give his successor as much cap space as possible going into the draft and free agency.  MTL should step in and see if they can get Puljujarvi on the cheap for giving EDM much needed cap relief IMHO.

1 hour ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Kieth Gretzky has so much more work to do for whoever takes over in EDM.  KG needs to give his successor as much cap space as possible going into the draft and free agency.  MTL should step in and see if they can get Puljujarvi on the cheap for giving EDM much needed cap relief IMHO.

Would rather see if we could help them by taking Klefbom 

Edited by campabee82