The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

TRADE DEADLINE FEB. 25th

H_T_L

2 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I'm glad we didn't do anything major. There's no need. Let the current group battle it out for a post-season birth. Sacrificing futures for a pending UFA would not be worth it to us right now. We won't get through Tampa or Toronto in the East.

Agreed (although i think we could potentially beat Toronto over 7 games).    

Our biggest need is LD and as many of us have said before: unless you're getting someone who is a clear upgrade over Mete/Reilly/Kulak, what is the point?  All 3 are NHL caliber defensmen, its just that none are true top pairing guys (Mete may still get there).  So if you cant upgrade theres' no need to throw away assets for more of the same.  

Our biggest issue right now is going to be actually dressing our best possible 4th line and I have little faith that we will. 

Just now, kinot-2 said:

Mark Stone says on TSN he's agreed to terms on an extension with Vegas. As per @TSNBobMcKenzie, will be 8 years and AAV around $9 million plus.

:4845:

Vegas is going to be in some trouble in a couple of years.  

I hate these sort of deals too. He's a first liner for sure but $9m a year until he's 35 years old?  Yikes. 

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Francois Gagnon confirms habs didn't send any trade requests in to the league.

Weal is only and last deal of the day.

I’m happy for us that we didn’t sell the farm on 1 player.  If you go by what Brendan Gallagher has to say about Jordan Weal,  Bergie May have stole another diamond in the rough from the yotes.

25 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I’m happy for us that we didn’t sell the farm on 1 player.  If you go by what Brendan Gallagher has to say about Jordan Weal,  Bergie May have stole another diamond in the rough from the yotes.

Our scouting team is definitely good at finding players that are having trouble making their team but can be valueable members of the bottom six.

Im more curious about what this means for our 4th line.   I mean, when everyone is healthy, guaranteed players are (in no particular order):
Domi, Drouin, JK, Gallagher, Danault, Armia, Tatar, Byron, Shaw, Lekhonen  thats 10 spots. 

The remaining 2 will be split between:
Hudon, Weise, Weal, Thompson, DLo and Peca

Obviously it never hurts to have depth but wow thats a lot of bodies for 2 fourth line spots.   Depth is great but Hudon is probably the only one of the 5 who could legitimately play in our top 9 and not look too out of place, so its not really true depth as guys like Thompson or DLo or Weise should really not even be on the roster, let alone in our top 9. 

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Our scouting team is definitely good at finding players that are having trouble making their team but can be valueable members of the bottom six.

Im more curious about what this means for our 4th line.   I mean, when everyone is healthy, guaranteed players are (in no particular order):
Domi, Drouin, JK, Gallagher, Danault, Armia, Tatar, Byron, Shaw, Lekhonen  thats 10 spots. 

The remaining 2 will be split between:
Hudon, Weise, Weal, Thompson, DLo and Peca

Obviously it never hurts to have depth but wow thats a lot of bodies for 2 fourth line spots.   Depth is great but Hudon is probably the only one of the 5 who could legitimately play in our top 9 and not look too out of place, so its not really true depth as guys like Thompson or DLo or Weise should really not even be on the roster, let alone in our top 9. 

D-lo and Weise and/or Thompson are the most obvious choices.

Ranking the bottom roster players in order:

1. Hudon

2. Peca

3. Weal

4. Thompson

5. Weise

6. Deslauriers

Like was said, most of those guys can't move up int he line-up though. We're likely better with a guy like Evans (or Poehling if his college season ends) filling a hole on the 2nd or 3rd line.

39 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

Pretty much a perfect trade day for us no over payment for older or rental players and Gally likes the guy we got. good to go. LOL! this off season is where we will make or break this team for the next couple of years i think.

Agreed for the most part. We absolutely didn't want to overpay with our top prospects or 1st rounder, especially for a rental. Of all the trades, Derrick Brassard and a 6th in exchange for only a 3rd rounder is something we probably could have done, but I'm not losing sleep over it and center isn't our biggest need. We needed a top 4 (and preferably top pairing) LHD and it doesn't look like any were traded.

MB needs to do something in the off-season to shore up the left side of his D though and I still think he needs to look at trading one of Weber or Petry in the off-season. Maybe he accomplishes both things with one move.

6 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I'm glad we didn't do anything major. There's no need. Let the current group battle it out for a post-season birth. Sacrificing futures for a pending UFA would not be worth it to us right now. We won't get through Tampa or Toronto in the East.

Yup.......the Habs can start getting ready for year 8 of the 5 year plan.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Agreed for the most part. We absolutely didn't want to overpay with our top prospects or 1st rounder, especially for a rental. Of all the trades, Derrick Brassard and a 6th in exchange for only a 3rd rounder is something we probably could have done, but I'm not losing sleep over it and center isn't our biggest need. We needed a top 4 (and preferably top pairing) LHD and it doesn't look like any were traded.

MB needs to do something in the off-season to shore up the left side of his D though and I still think he needs to look at trading one of Weber or Petry in the off-season. Maybe he accomplishes both things with one move.

My only real thought on MB not moving someone for a top pairing LHD is maybe just maybe MB knows something that the fans and the media do not know about the situation with Romanov and he is just biding his time until Romanov gets here.

On a side note I am rather disappointed in the lack of moves by the Habs today. MB said he was not interested in a rental but from what I have heard he had a lot of take it or leave it deals out there, that's not how negotiations work a decent GM would have and should have had back and forth offers and counter offers until a deal could be made. We could have made a decent hockey trade to at least help us on the PP or on D but not MB he goes and gets a player to fill the one position that we actually don't need to fix that's a bottom 6 forward. Now like has been pointed out repeatedly we have 5 players and 2 open spots actually 4 guys for 1 open spot cause unless Weal is going to be a second 4th line center Thompson has that spot locked up too. 

• H_T_L locked this topic