The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

TRADE DEADLINE FEB. 25th

H_T_L

24 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

His plan is to drop out of the play off race and get a pick in the top 10-15 in the first round. 

The solution to our top-2 LD has been answered! :D I kid, I kid.

However... it is kind of sad that we may drop out of the post-season race and end up with a pick in that range. THAT would be such a disappointing end to an interesting season.

14 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

The solution to our top-2 LD has been answered! :D I kid, I kid.

However... it is kind of sad that we may drop out of the post-season race and end up with a pick in that range. THAT would be such a disappointing end to an interesting season.

yeah unless we'd win the lottery but id rather make it and give our young guys some playoff experience. Especially if we get the first wild card spot, we could actually win a series, even two! 

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

yeah unless we'd win the lottery but id rather make it and give our young guys some playoff experience. Especially if we get the first wild card spot, we could actually win a series, even two! 

I, too, would much rather them make the post-season than drop out at this point. I think the experience will be huge for the younger players. 

2 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I'd rather we make the playoffs too but the Islanders will be far from an easy matchup. We face them 2 more times i believe before the playoffs. After those two games we might be wishing for someone else

17 hours ago, campabee82 said:

My only real thought on MB not moving someone for a top pairing LHD is maybe just maybe MB knows something that the fans and the media do not know about the situation with Romanov and he is just biding his time until Romanov gets here.

On a side note I am rather disappointed in the lack of moves by the Habs today. MB said he was not interested in a rental but from what I have heard he had a lot of take it or leave it deals out there, that's not how negotiations work a decent GM would have and should have had back and forth offers and counter offers until a deal could be made. We could have made a decent hockey trade to at least help us on the PP or on D but not MB he goes and gets a player to fill the one position that we actually don't need to fix that's a bottom 6 forward. Now like has been pointed out repeatedly we have 5 players and 2 open spots actually 4 guys for 1 open spot cause unless Weal is going to be a second 4th line center Thompson has that spot locked up too. 

I would be very surprised if Romanov is playing here next year and it remain to be seen if it's even the year after that. He is still under contract with the KHL next season and that's a hard deal to break without the Habs paying the KHL for the transfer. Unless they're sure he's going to be a top 6 guy right away, it probably makes more sense for everyone for him to stay in the KHL and play, and he's definitely not going to agree to play in the AHL. If you remember what happened with Emelin, it took him a few years to eventually come over here and he made the jump to the NHL right away. Romanov could probably make our top 6 next season but it's not a given as to how he will adjust, so my guess is 2020-21 at the earliest, and he may even decide to stay in the KHL longer to 1) avoid a potential lockout issue with the NHL in two years and 2) to be able to play in the next Olympics first.

So I don't think MB has any inside info on Romanov, and even if he did, I don't think that would have held him back from acquiring a long-term LHD asset if he had that ability. I do think MB needs to make a move in the off-season and I also wonder if Jake Gardiner could be his #1 target as a potential partner for Weber or Petry, given that Toronto almost certainly won't have cap space to be able to re-sign him. No doubt other teams like Edmonton and LA and Vancouver and Detroit and so on will show interest too though. I'm ok with Bergevin not making a move now, but he absolutely has to fix his defence in the off-season.

• H_T_L locked this topic