The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

TRADE DEADLINE FEB. 25th

H_T_L

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

I see the logic in trading older players but I don't know, I don't think they will be done when we could conceivably challenge for a cup. I'd like to sell but a more minor move. My priority would be to move Shaw. I love Shaw but I can see him taking a real nose dive AND if he comes back and plays like he was before, I think we could get the equivalent of a couple of second round picks for him. He's exactly the type of player teams look for when they are on a playoff run. 

Guys like Gallagher and especially Weber will be way too hard to replace. We have a better chance of Weber still being a #1 D man then actually finding a #1 D man in 3 to 5 years. I don't want to lose him unless it's an embarrassment of riches in return

Given what we gave up to get him, I doubt Weber gets moved.   Over the nxt 1-2 years Petry might be if management believes Brook/Juulsen slot into the right side at 2 and 3.   Petry then is moved for a top pairing LD if they can find one.    Upfront, I don't see them moving anybody this year ... next year you might see 1-2 of the middling guys moved IF Poehling/Suzuki make the jump (guys like Shaw, Lehkonen, etc).    

2 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I have a feeling Bergevin will do nothing before the deadline. Which is wise, IMO. We don't need to trade any spare parts away and we don't need to pick any up. Let's just continue on with the season and see where the current crop of players get us.

The only way he does something is if he can get somebody on the cheap that slots into the 1 or 2 spot at LD.   Otherwise I do believe he stands pat.

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

Given what we gave up to get him, I doubt Weber gets moved.   Over the nxt 1-2 years Petry might be if management believes Brook/Juulsen slot into the right side at 2 and 3.   Petry then is moved for a top pairing LD if they can find one.    Upfront, I don't see them moving anybody this year ... next year you might see 1-2 of the middling guys moved IF Poehling/Suzuki make the jump (guys like Shaw, Lehkonen, etc).    

I agree about Weber.   To me, Weber and Price are probably the 2 least-likely-to-be traded players on our roster as long as MB is in charge.  Gallagher and Domi are probably not too far behind either.

The problem with waiting to trade Petry is value.  Right now he's probably worth a top prospect and a 1st.  He's top 10 in defensman scoring, plays all situations and is built for today's NHL.  He has a few good years left in him at least but his value may never be as high as it is right now.   If you traded him in the next couple of weeks i think you could get a team's top LD prospect AND either a young roster player or a 1st round pick.   Would Toronto, who clearly are desperate for a top RHD to play on their top pairing trade away their 1st and one of their young LHD (like Sandin or Rosen)?  It would make their chances of competing for a cup right now, much greater and they wouldnt even have to touch their current lineup to do so. 

If you wait a year or 2 I have no doubt you'll still get value for Petry but i dont think it will be anywhere near what it is right now.   On the flipside, i think if we trade Petry (especially not knowing when Juulsen will be back) we may well drop down the standings and out of the playoff picture for this year & Im not sure MB is willing to give up those revenues. 

9 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I would love to see Weber traded to TOR for Kapanen and a 1st.  We most likely will NOT see that happen.  I'd also be willing to at least see if EDM would do Gallagher and Hudon for JP and a 1st.  Again, this most likely won't happen because MB has built his roster around the Lunch pail, blue collar mentality of a Brendan Gallagher and Shea Weber.  Ultimately, I think MTL should package Niemi, Benn and Agostino to a team tight against the cap who needs depth for a playoff run (Washington)  for say Andre Burakovsky.

I think Weber is worth more than that. Kapanen is a good player but not elite. I'm not sure he's an upgrade over the likes of Drouin, Gallagher, Tatar, and so on, and he'll want to get paid soon. The Leafs' 1st rounder will likely be a late 1st, with maybe a 20-30% chance of becoming a regular NHLer in a few years. Not good enough for me. Weber's contract, with the cap going up, is becoming a more and more reasonable contract, with only the length becoming a problem. So I agree with looking to trade Weber, but I'd want a package that includes a top 10 pick in the 1st round or else a much more interesting young player or players to compensate. I also think if we deal Weber, we absolutely need to be looking for a first-pairing LHD as part of the return. That's the biggest need and we really don't need another mid-tier winger right now.

As for Gallagher, again, he's a 1st-line winger by production and he's on a very friendly contract, maybe one of the best deals in the league. Edmonton has a bad GM an the Oilers are desperate for a scoring winger and they're really tight against the cap. They can't even reactivate Sekera right now cause they lack cap space. So Gallagher would be a Godsend to them. It's not to say Puljujarvi an a 1st wouldn't be good value to us, but I almost wonder if they'd give up even more than that to us...

7 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Moving Shaw would be quite interesting. He's a good player. He struggles with injuries. I think it's safe to assume to the most recent injury is another concussion. Bergevin also isn't the best manager at selling players at peak value. If Shaw did return, have a great 15 games, and see his value rise... Well, I'm doubtful Bergevin would even consider moving him then.

I've talked about moving Shaw several times and mentioned it repeatedly when he was on that hot streak playing with Domi and Drouin. I would highly advocate trading him, as you said, if he gets healthy and back on any type of streak. Rumors were that MB was open to trading him last year, so I think it's possible. I just don't think we're going to recoup the assets we gave up to get him, that was just a dumb trade on our part that we won't see undone.

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

I agree about Weber.   To me, Weber and Price are probably the 2 least-likely-to-be traded players on our roster as long as MB is in charge.  Gallagher and Domi are probably not too far behind either.

The problem with waiting to trade Petry is value.  Right now he's probably worth a top prospect and a 1st.  He's top 10 in defensman scoring, plays all situations and is built for today's NHL.  He has a few good years left in him at least but his value may never be as high as it is right now.   If you traded him in the next couple of weeks i think you could get a team's top LD prospect AND either a young roster player or a 1st round pick.   Would Toronto, who clearly are desperate for a top RHD to play on their top pairing trade away their 1st and one of their young LHD (like Sandin or Rosen)?  It would make their chances of competing for a cup right now, much greater and they wouldnt even have to touch their current lineup to do so. 

If you wait a year or 2 I have no doubt you'll still get value for Petry but i dont think it will be anywhere near what it is right now.   On the flipside, i think if we trade Petry (especially not knowing when Juulsen will be back) we may well drop down the standings and out of the playoff picture for this year & Im not sure MB is willing to give up those revenues. 

I think Toronto would want to trade salary for salary. They're already in a bind with next years cap so I don't think they want to dig themselves a bigger hole.

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Dreams of fleecing the Oilers GM shattered. FIRED.

I have to believe that firing Chirelli signals more change is coming requiring a trade or two. What is curious is seeing how the players do not seem completely on board with Hitchcock and yet he is still there. Whether Gretzky gets the green light or not, will be answered soon IMO.

1 minute ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

I have to believe that firing Chirelli signals more change is coming requiring a trade or two. What is curious is seeing how the players do not seem completely on board with Hitchcock and yet he is still there. Whether Gretzky gets the green light or not, will be answered soon IMO.

I wouldn't be surprised if an interim manager is appointed to see out the season (play-offs or no play-offs). Changes may be coming for Edmonton... but perhaps nothing major until the off-season.

1 minute ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

I have a feeling the elephant in the Oiler room is Lucik. Overpaid under performing and looks totally disinterested. I think i'd bite the bullet and waive him, if i'm the new GM. Maybe more deep rooted problems over there, but that's how you send the first message. Dead weight will be disposed of.

10 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I have a feeling the elephant in the Oiler room is Lucik. Overpaid under performing and looks totally disinterested. I think i'd bite the bullet and waive him, if i'm the new GM. Maybe more deep rooted problems over there, but that's how you send the first message. Dead weight will be disposed of.

Or you trade him.  You'd have to take back a similar (or maybe even worse) albatross of a contract but at least you can maybe get someone who suits your needs better and it sends a message while helping the team more than just dumping the player.

In terms of the Habs, I doubt the Oilers will be buyers anymore

19 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Or you trade him.  You'd have to take back a similar (or maybe even worse) albatross of a contract but at least you can maybe get someone who suits your needs better and it sends a message while helping the team more than just dumping the player.

Lucic for Alzner? I don't think so BUT if we did trade Shaw, then a move like this wouldn't be HORRIBLE. I mean Lucic could at least play the third line, whereas Alzner seems done for. Just throwing it out there

20 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Lucic for Alzner? I don't think so BUT if we did trade Shaw, then a move like this wouldn't be HORRIBLE. I mean Lucic could at least play the third line, whereas Alzner seems done for. Just throwing it out there

I live in Edmonton and see a ton of Lucic.

Lucic is even less useful than Alzner now.     He simply can't keep up with the play and has zero hockey sense to read the play.   Alzner is bad, but he's not Lucic bad.

14 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Lucic is even less useful than Alzner now.     He simply can't keep up with the play and has zero hockey sense to read the play.   Alzner is bad, but he's not Lucic bad.

Fair enough, you know more than me. It's also a worse contract in both money and term

Man Edmonton just looks BAD. They don't even really have cap space. They will never trade Draisaitl or McDavid, but if this keeps up McDavid may just want out of there. Best player in the league and he can't even get into the playoffs. And there is not even ONE area of their team that you can say they are good. Its the top line and nothing else. D sucks, no depth at forward, no depth at D behind Klefbom (maybe nurse?), goaltending is average at best. All those lottery wins and they are still going nowhere. 

This is one of the reasons that (at this point, because I was singing a different tune last year) I think we shouldn't be so quick to trade Weber and pieces like that. Sometimes you start losing and nothing can make it stop. Most of our team is young but they are experiencing REAL hockey, learning how to win tight games etc, Get into the playoffs maybe find a way to win a round, it will be a good experience for them. And we need those handful of older players to lead them in that way. 

54 minutes ago, habsisme said:

32 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

Yeah Lucic for Alzner would favour the Oilers for sure.   I think it would take something like Lucic + 1st for Alzner to be fair -  But Im not sure either team would do it, nor am I advocating it.  

There are options though. One would be for Edmonton to talk to Ottawa - a team always looking to save $$.   Lucic is signed for 4 more years after this one with a cap hit of $6m but his actual salary fluctuates between $4 and $5m   He's owed $19m over the next 4 years.    Bobby Ryan's has a $7.25m cap hit but his actual money is $7.5m most seasons.  He's owed $22.5m over the next 3 years.   So there might be some interest from Melnyk, who is apparently always looking to save some coin.  Even then, Ryan is still a useful player (albeit waaaaay overpaid) so Edmonton would probably have to sweeten the deal.  But things are so bad in Edmonton right now that I think they have to consider it. This team needs a major shakeup. No team with McDavid, Draitsaitl, RNH etc should be this bad. 

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

I've watched a number of Oiler games and agree that Lucic seems disinterested. They should waive him, I agree, because it is doubtful any other Gm would want him. The term left on his contract is also a downer.

1 hour ago, habsisme said:

Fair enough, you know more than me. It's also a worse contract in both money and term

Man Edmonton just looks BAD. They don't even really have cap space. They will never trade Draisaitl or McDavid, but if this keeps up McDavid may just want out of there. Best player in the league and he can't even get into the playoffs. And there is not even ONE area of their team that you can say they are good. Its the top line and nothing else. D sucks, no depth at forward, no depth at D behind Klefbom (maybe nurse?), goaltending is average at best. All those lottery wins and they are still going nowhere. 

This is one of the reasons that (at this point, because I was singing a different tune last year) I think we shouldn't be so quick to trade Weber and pieces like that. Sometimes you start losing and nothing can make it stop. Most of our team is young but they are experiencing REAL hockey, learning how to win tight games etc, Get into the playoffs maybe find a way to win a round, it will be a good experience for them. And we need those handful of older players to lead them in that way. 

I agree with this. The idea that you can lose enough to magically have those draft picks become a Stanley cup just doesn't seem to work. Young players need the correct environment. A losing environment is as bad and infectious as a winning one. You need a mix of young and old. Experience is a good thing to have in a locker room and on the ice. Hockey playoffs are a long grind. I really think you have to have that balance. 

I think the habs have some good young talent on their roster right now and some good prospects. Their prospects did really well in the world jrs Nick Suzuki (RW), Josh Brook (RD/LD) Jesse Ylönen (RW) Jacob Olofsson (C/LW)  Alexander Romanov (D)  Ryan Poehling (C), Cayden Primeau (G) And I'll add VICTOR METE who i think is way over rated and can't knock a fly down in front of the net (but a great skater) I know I'll get some slack for that one. Two maybe three of these guys may make our roster in the next year or two. Now though their trade value is as high as it will ever be. Any thoughts on who we should and shouldn't keep coming up to the trade deadline

32 minutes ago, xxdocxx said:

I think the habs have some good young talent on their roster right now and some good prospects. Their prospects did really well in the world jrs Nick Suzuki (RW), Josh Brook (RD/LD) Jesse Ylönen (RW) Jacob Olofsson (C/LW)  Alexander Romanov (D)  Ryan Poehling (C), Cayden Primeau (G) And I'll add VICTOR METE who i think is way over rated and can't knock a fly down in front of the net (but a great skater) I know I'll get some slack for that one. Two maybe three of these guys may make our roster in the next year or two. Now though their trade value is as high as it will ever be. Any thoughts on who we should and shouldn't keep coming up to the trade deadline

unless we are getting a young player in return (which is unlikely) I wouldn't move any of them. They all look good right now but you can bet they won't all make it. 

28 minutes ago, habsisme said:

unless we are getting a young player in return (which is unlikely) I wouldn't move any of them. They all look good right now but you can bet they won't all make it. 

Agreed.  It would take a LOT for me to move any of them to be honest but if the return was an under 25 bonefide top 2 LHD Id probably move one of them. Suzuki, Poehling and Brook are near untouchable for me though. 

25 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I don’t want Bergevin to move MTL’s 1st should in 2019, because I want Brett Leason.  And if Bergevin is picking between 20-25, Leason should be the pick

I wouldn't be so sure of it.  I could totally see MB & CO picking the best available LD since thats the spot we've got the least depth rather than BPA. 

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I wouldn't be so sure of it.  I could totally see MB & CO picking the best available LD since thats the spot we've got the least depth rather than BPA. 

true but i don't have a problem with that if it's within reason

Burakovsky is apparently available (for multiple mid level picks)... I couldn't help thinking about trading Shaw for Burakovsky and a 3rd... anyone have any thoughts on that?

Still think MB should try and make some moves at or before the deadline. Could see a package of Lehkonen (never going to be what we first thought) and Lindgren for a LD that can play with Weber. Mete will be that guy down the road. Believe Lehkonen would be viewed as a top nine on most teams.  Also a fourth line center, Chaput doesn't do it for me. Even though Claude seems to like him. Sure we could get someone for a late round pick. Scares me every time he is on the ice. If another D is available for real cheap then that would be good as well.

Keep our first round pick, but the rest would be good to use. Would not trade any of the young talent mentioned.  

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

true but i don't have a problem with that if it's within reason

Burakovsky is apparently available (for multiple mid level picks)... I couldn't help thinking about trading Shaw for Burakovsky and a 3rd... anyone have any thoughts on that?

Id happily trade Shaw and a 3rd for Burakovsky (even though he's had injury problems himself) if nothing other than the age difference and the fact that I think Shaw is 1 concussion away from the end of his career.  Cant see how Washington does that though.  

2 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Still think MB should try and make some moves at or before the deadline. Could see a package of Lehkonen (never going to be what we first thought) and Lindgren for a LD that can play with Weber. Mete will be that guy down the road. Believe Lehkonen would be viewed as a top nine on most teams.  Also a fourth line center, Chaput doesn't do it for me. Even though Claude seems to like him. Sure we could get someone for a late round pick. Scares me every time he is on the ice. If another D is available for real cheap then that would be good as well.

Keep our first round pick, but the rest would be good to use. Would not trade any of the young talent mentioned.  

I dont mind moving Lehkonen for the right return (he's probably one of our more replaceable top 9s) but I dont think Lindgren would have much value.  I think the only way you're getting a top 4 LHD for Lehkonen + Lindgren is if its a older guy like Muzzin.  Not sure id be up for that, although its a calculated risk. 

29 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Id happily trade Shaw and a 3rd for Burakovsky (even though he's had injury problems himself) if nothing other than the age difference and the fact that I think Shaw is 1 concussion away from the end of his career.  Cant see how Washington does that though.  

I dont mind moving Lehkonen for the right return (he's probably one of our more replaceable top 9s) but I dont think Lindgren would have much value.  I think the only way you're getting a top 4 LHD for Lehkonen + Lindgren is if its a older guy like Muzzin.  Not sure id be up for that, although its a calculated risk. 

See, given the struggles that we had last season, I don’t see the point in trading away pieces of your forward core.  Why fix something that’s not broken.  Now that we have depth at forward, why trade it away?

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

You’re most likely right and if Mikko Kokkonen is available when we pick then, pick him.  But Leason is a scorer who can play in Laval right away.

• H_T_L locked this topic