The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

TRADE DEADLINE FEB. 25th

H_T_L

I'd rather keep Alzner than trade him for Lucic. Alzner is only signed until the end of the 2021-2022 season. Lucic is signed until the end of the 2022-2023 season and has a $6 million cap hit. They're both being passed by "the game." I'd just rather have the slightly less albatross-y contract than the worse one.

TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun said Thursday that the rental market could be limited ahead of the trade deadline as those who don't believe they can contend for the Stanley Cup opt against trading away pieces for a short-term fix. 

LeBrun said teams are adopting the mindset of Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin, who said earlier this month he would not add a rental at the trade deadline for his team's playoff push.

"I do sense from the teams that don't truly deep down think that they can win the Cup, but yet have a very good chance of making the playoffs - so that's a pretty big group of teams, right? Basically eight teams that make it think they can win the Cup and the other eight are kind of happy to be there, let's be honest," LeBrun explained to TSN Radio 1200 Ottawa. "In other years, teams trying to make it or underdog teams who knew they were going to make it, they would add. 

"I'm sensing more and more, like Marc Bergevin announced at his mid-season news conference, teams that are not truly elite Cup contenders acknowledging the fact that it makes zero sense to spend assets on adding a rental. Now they might make a hockey trade, I think the Canadiens have been talking to teams and will continue to do so, but it will be a hockey deal if they make one."

LeBrun shot down the idea of the Canadiens pursuing a defenceman such as Jake Muzzin, who has term left on his deal, since the Los Angeles Kings are currently asking for a first-round pick and a top prospect. He said, however, that the Canadiens are open to using their $9.7 million in cap space to their advantage ahead of the deadline.

"One thing for sure that I know Marc Bergevin and his staff have talked about internally is the fact that they can once again try a Joel Armia trade," LeBrun said. "The way they got Joel Armia, simply by having cap space, is something that I believe they've communicated to teams that they're open for business with their cap room. It's smart because they're in a position where it's not like they're the only team that has cap room, but there's a lot of teams in and around them that have cap room for a reason; because they don't want to spend more. 

"The Canadiens are in a place with a lot of teams with cap room, except that they're willing to spend it if it means they can improve their roster. That's something to keep an eye on, if not before February 25, then once again in June."

The Canadiens acquired Joel Armia in June from the Winnipeg Jets along with goaltender Steve Mason, a fourth-round pick and a seventh-round pick for 2015 sixth-round pick Simon Bourque as the Jets worked to create cap space. Mason was bought out by the Canadiens in the hours following the trade and counts for $1.37 million against their cap this year and next.

22 hours ago, habsisme said:

true but i don't have a problem with that if it's within reason

Burakovsky is apparently available (for multiple mid level picks)... I couldn't help thinking about trading Shaw for Burakovsky and a 3rd... anyone have any thoughts on that?

Washington is incredibly tight against the cap.  Adding 900,000 more a year for 4 more years I would have to think is a hard no.

The Caps are the best trade partner for MTL because they’re looking to win again this year but still be mindful of the cap next year.  My suggestion for  a Burakovsky deal in a previous post was:

To WAS: Benn, Agostino and Niemi

To MTL: Burakovsky and a pick or prospect

The pick and or prospect are optional as far as I’m concerned.  Burakovsky could be nice option for a big body in front on the PP.  He’s also a cheaper option than a Wayne Simmons’s rental as suggested by Craig Button.  Benn, Niemi and Agostino are a perfect fit for Washington as they get affordable rental depth for the playoff run.

7 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Washington is incredibly tight against the cap.  Adding 900,000 more a year for 4 more years I would have to think is a hard no.

The Caps are the best trade partner for MTL because they’re looking to win again this year but still be mindful of the cap next year.  My suggestion for  a Burakovsky deal in a previous post was:

To WAS: Benn, Agostino and Niemi

To MTL: Burakovsky and a pick or prospect

The pick and or prospect are optional as far as I’m concerned.  Burakovsky could be nice option for a big body in front on the PP.  He’s also a cheaper option than a Wayne Simmons’s rental as suggested by Craig Button.  Benn, Niemi and Agostino are a perfect fit for Washington as they get affordable rental depth for the playoff run.

The Habs would have to be brain dead to trade for Simmonds.

23 hours ago, maas_art said:

Interesting read by Andrew Berkshire on 4 defensemen we should consider targeting (Muzzin, Klefbom, Fowler and Lindholm).

The article is here: https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/four-left-shot-defencemen-canadiens-target-trade/

Would MCCarron, Hudon and a Conditional 1st in 2019 (The condition being if you make the conference final, LA gets your 1st.  If not, it defaults to the 2nd) be sufficient for Muzzin?

The Fourth Period published its ranking of players who are most likely to be traded by the trade deadline and the Canadiens are listed as possible landing spots for the players who rank 2nd and 3rd in their rankings.

Los Angeles Kings veteran center Jeff Carter and New York Rangers forward Kevin Hayes seem to be a target of the Canadiens, Hayes would be interesting as the lefty stands 6'5 and 216 pounds while having registered 33 points in 39 games so far this year.

The Habs still have $9.3 million in cap space along with 10 picks at the upcoming NHL draft, so Marc Bergevin could try and add some depth without touching the team's prospects.

1 minute ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Would MCCarron, Hudon and a Conditional 1st in 2019 (The condition being if you make the conference final, LA gets your 1st.  If not, it defaults to the 2nd) be sufficient for Muzzin?

I doubt it. Maybe throw in a 2nd, might do it. 

I wonder if James van Riemsdyk would be a good pickup for the habs ? If we end up playing the leafs in the playoffs , he wouldn't have a problem getting up for those games against his old team and he would be another big body .Maybe add Gostisbehere to the deal and you get the left d the habs are looking for . So try this , Montreal's 1st rounder and 2nd rounder ,Hudon and Macarron for Van Riemdyk and Gostisbehere .

1 minute ago, Born-To-Be-A-Hab said:

I wonder if James van Riemsdyk would be a good pickup for the habs ? If we end up playing the leafs in the playoffs , he wouldn't have a problem getting up for those games against his old team and he would be another big body .Maybe add Gostisbehere to the deal and you get the left d the habs are looking for . So try this , Montreal's 1st rounder and 2nd rounder ,Hudon and Macarron for Van Riemdyk and Gostisbehere .

Just teaking the deal . Instead of the 2nd rounder add Mete instead .

And a major trade... LA ships Muzzin to Toronto for a 1st rounder, D prospect Sean Durzi, and forward prospect Carl Grundstrom. Both teams get what they want in a trade, albeit Toronto gets a guy who plays the wrong side of the ice from what they were looking for...

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

And a major trade... LA ships Muzzin to Toronto for a 1st rounder, D prospect Sean Durzi, and forward prospect Carl Grundstrom. Both teams get what they want in a trade, albeit Toronto gets a guy who plays the wrong side of the ice from what they were looking for...

Im sort of surprised they went after Muzzin to be honest.  I know he has played some RD but most of his career has been as a LD.  Will be interesting to see how he does.  

Credit Dubas though. The 1st was wholly expendable and the prospects, while somewhat intriguing are not deal breakers. Its unlikely Grundstrom ever is more than a 3rd liner and while Durzi has some wheels i think there's question marks there too. 

11 hours ago, maas_art said:

Im sort of surprised they went after Muzzin to be honest.  I know he has played some RD but most of his career has been as a LD.  Will be interesting to see how he does.  

Credit Dubas though. The 1st was wholly expendable and the prospects, while somewhat intriguing are not deal breakers. Its unlikely Grundstrom ever is more than a 3rd liner and while Durzi has some wheels i think there's question marks there too. 

I mean I think its a smart move for TO, they are in a very different position than we are, and they are likely losing Gardiner (maybe to us!) but they gave up decent amount for him. I'm surprised they couldn't make a deal with Carolina for RD at least. That would at least open the door to trading Nylander and re-signing Gardiner, which is what I would do. Now that's very unlikely. 

TSN,,,,,

The Montreal Canadiens are in a playoff position today, but will need to address the left side of their defence down the stretch.

Karl Alzner clearly hasn't worked out, and the team has Victor Mete, Mike Reilly and Brett Kulak down the left side.    

This has left general manager Marc Bergevin with a little a bit of a dance to do. He’s admitted that his team has not reached contender status just yet, so how does he work around that to try to upgrade this team on the blueline? And Bergevin added that he doesn't want to give up future assets to acquire that immediate need. 

TSN Director of Scouting of Scouting Craig Button sees Vancouver Canucks defenceman Alex Edler - No. 21 on TSN Hockey's Trade Bait list - as a perfect fit. However, the recent acquisition of Jake Muzzin by the Toronto Maple Leafs establishes a comparable price and Bergevin isn't likely prepared to do that.

Miller: Julien deserves a lot of credit

TSN's Gord Miller joined Melnick in the Afternoon to talk about the Jake Muzzin, the Artemi Panarin situation and the Montreal Canadiens.

For what it's worth, Russian World Junior standout Alexander Romanov is playing regular minutes in the KHL and while he won't help this season, Button thinks he might be ready to come in next season. "He's that good," he says. "A big-time player who has a real boldness to his game as Marc Bergevin rebuilds his team through the draft."

The No. 2 priority is addressing Montreal's 30th-ranked power play.  

Wayne Simmonds is the top-ranked player on the TSN Trade Bait board that can help, but look further down and Brayden Schenn (No. 16 on the list) certainly stands out. As Craig notes, he has another year left on his contract and has been a really good power-play producer in previous years (with a career-high 28 points on the man advantage in 2016-17). 

Could Bergevin fix this power play to a greater extent this year by acquiring Schenn (know that he also has him for next year)? That type of player is exactly what the Habs need - a scorer with presence in front of the net.

6 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

TSN,,,,,

The Montreal Canadiens are in a playoff position today, but will need to address the left side of their defence down the stretch.

Karl Alzner clearly hasn't worked out, and the team has Victor Mete, Mike Reilly and Brett Kulak down the left side.    

This has left general manager Marc Bergevin with a little a bit of a dance to do. He’s admitted that his team has not reached contender status just yet, so how does he work around that to try to upgrade this team on the blueline? And Bergevin added that he doesn't want to give up future assets to acquire that immediate need. 

TSN Director of Scouting of Scouting Craig Button sees Vancouver Canucks defenceman Alex Edler - No. 21 on TSN Hockey's Trade Bait list - as a perfect fit. However, the recent acquisition of Jake Muzzin by the Toronto Maple Leafs establishes a comparable price and Bergevin isn't likely prepared to do that.

TSN's Gord Miller joined Melnick in the Afternoon to talk about the Jake Muzzin, the Artemi Panarin situation and the Montreal Canadiens.

For what it's worth, Russian World Junior standout Alexander Romanov is playing regular minutes in the KHL and while he won't help this season, Button thinks he might be ready to come in next season. "He's that good," he says. "A big-time player who has a real boldness to his game as Marc Bergevin rebuilds his team through the draft."

Wayne Simmonds is the top-ranked player on the TSN Trade Bait board that can help, but look further down and Brayden Schenn (No. 16 on the list) certainly stands out. As Craig notes, he has another year left on his contract and has been a really good power-play producer in previous years (with a career-high 28 points on the man advantage in 2016-17). 

Could Bergevin fix this power play to a greater extent this year by acquiring Schenn (know that he also has him for next year)? That type of player is exactly what the Habs need - a scorer with presence in front of the net.

articles like this scare me, we don't need Schenn or Edler

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

TSN,,,,,

3 hours ago, habsisme said:

articles like this scare me, we don't need Schenn or Edler

Plus Button clearly doesnt seem to understand the chances of Romanov playing in the NHL next year are slim to none - even if he's ready.  Montreal would have to pay off his KHL team substantially - and even then, they'd have to agree to it. 

On 1/29/2019 at 1:05 AM, maas_art said:

Well if backsies are a thing now, i can think of 1 or 2 of MB's id happily undo... 

What 1 or 2 would you happily undo?  ( besides the PK Weber deal of course )

Last year i would undo quite a few,  this year though not so much. Most of his trades have worked out pretty good. He's looking like a lot better GM these days. 

10 minutes ago, xxdocxx said:

Last year i would undo quite a few,  this year though not so much. Most of his trades have worked out pretty good. He's looking like a lot better GM these days. 

Too bad MB wasn't this smart 5-6 years ago, we could have saved a lot of misery. 

14 minutes ago, xxdocxx said:

I think he's done quite well this year yes, but there's definitely been trades in the past that I wish he hadnt made.   Some are inconsequential (Ie Andrighetto hasnt been spectacular but was a heck of a lot better than Martinsen, Dwight King etc etc) and I wish we had hung on to Eller, although two 2nds for him is not bad but to me, the ones Id rather have not made - and would welcome a take backsies: 

- Pk for Weber ( I DO like weber but come on.  Subban?)

- Sergachev for Drouin (Even though I like Drouin I still think we have a big hole at LD and having Sergachve would make our whole D look better)

- Shaw for two second rounders (one of which they used to draft Debrincat) his injuries are unfortunate but not unexpected either. 

- Id like to give back Karl Alzner and keep all that $$$  (I know, this one is cheating :P)

• H_T_L locked this topic