Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
H_T_L

Poll: Player who has exceeded your expectations?

Most pleasant surprise   27 members have voted

1. 1. Which player gets your vote for most pleasant surprise?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 posts in this topic

Which player has been the biggest surprise for you leading up to the All Star game?

Just about everybody on that list has exceeded my expectation this year, but if i have to pick one that has stood out the most to me,, i'd go with Petry. He's been a machine for us so far and held everything together in the early going when the D and goaltending were struggling to get going.

Domi for sure.  Unlike a lot of fans, I was quite happy to acquire him because i followed his junior career and thought he was close to a breakout but I didnt expect this.   I was still disappointed at the return (still feel like AG was worth more than MD at the time of the trade) but super happy with how he's done.

Tatar is another because so many people viewed him as a LV salary dump but he's been awesome. Armia has also been better than I expected. 

Of our returning players I agree with HTL that Petry has been awesome but he did become our defacto #1 last year and was quite good.   Price returning to form has been a very welcome surprise. 

Biggest disappointment has been Hudon, who seemed so poised to  have a breakout year but can barely crack the lineup for whatever reason. 

Tough one to call many have played very well! Domi, Petry, Tatar, KK, just off of the top of my head and others have played good when i was not expecting too much so in all it has been a good season so far.

I'm not that surprised by Petry, he's been this good before and the advanced stats numbers tell us he should be good. I think he's getting more credit now from the media and fans for how he's played, but I don't think it's been a surprise. If anything, I think Weber has surprised me a bit more with how steady he's been coming back from injury. Reilly and Juulsen have also pleasantly surprised me on the back end to a lesser degree.

Up front, I think Kotkaniemi also isn't much of a surprise. He's played with skill and he still has some things to learn, but he's not shocking me. So who has surprised me? Shaw really impressed me with his offensive production when he had his run on the first line. But all in all, I think it comes down to Tatar and Domi, and IMO Domi is way ahead. If you take out Tatar's stint with Vegas, then his play this year is perfectly in line with what he's done in the past. So I'm surprised he rebounded, but it's not as shocking as Domi coming in here with very few goals last year and not only being able to play well but to hold his own as a #1 center and to score as many goals as he has.

I went with Domi. I would have said Petry except for the fact he's always been pretty good. Too bad he has to play 2nd fiddle to Weber.

I have to go with Armia. We just look like a better team with him in the lineup. Without him we’re a win one lose two hockey team. He raises everyone’s game play each time he’s in the lineup & I feel we’d be in even better shape, in the standings, if he hadn’t been dealt that cheap shot in the Ranger game.

It may sound weird to some but another “other” would be Price. I really didn’t expect him to find his game again at the level he has & again he’s the reason we win a lot of games.

8 hours ago, HabsRuleForever said:

I have to go with Armia. We just look like a better team with him in the lineup. Without him we’re a win one lose two hockey team. He raises everyone’s game play each time he’s in the lineup & I feel we’d be in even better shape, in the standings, if he hadn’t been dealt that cheap shot in the Ranger game.

It may sound weird to some but another “other” would be Price. I really didn’t expect him to find his game again at the level he has & again he’s the reason we win a lot of games.

I considered Armia and believe he is a good choice, but I think the play of Tatar overall in terms of offensive production and his defensive play/determination has surprised me the most. To me Domi is as expected.

Always knew that Domi was going to be a great fit with team. He was lost in the desert and needed to come into the spot light. No surprise for me he is doing so well.

With so many to choose from I went with Tatar. Had a lot of Detroit fans tell me that they were upset to lose him. But had no idea he had such a strong work ethic. He definitely makes the team better.

Armia would be second. Just read a report that MB was thinking of trading him to Washington. To me that would be a huge mistake. He is so strong on the puck and is getting better and better. Could see him as a Selke winner down the road. 

53 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Always knew that Domi was going to be a great fit with team. He was lost in the desert and needed to come into the spot light. No surprise for me he is doing so well.

With so many to choose from I went with Tatar. Had a lot of Detroit fans tell me that they were upset to lose him. But had no idea he had such a strong work ethic. He definitely makes the team better.

Armia would be second. Just read a report that MB was thinking of trading him to Washington. To me that would be a huge mistake. He is so strong on the puck and is getting better and better. Could see him as a Selke winner down the road. 

I like Armia as well he is more suited to a 4th line roll though. I am curious to hear what trade MB was trying to make with the Caps though if it was for Burukovski I think that would be an easy yes from me cause we need someone who is offensively gifted with good size.  I will say this though the 2 forwards that are impressing me the most are Danault's shutdown ability and KK's ability to learn and adapt on the fly.

As for this thread I chose "other" as most of the forward group has impressed me from Domi right down to Shaw. I felt like Price would find his game and the D hasn't really done anything out side of Weber and Petry who always are good. 

19 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I like Armia as well he is more suited to a 4th line roll though.

Really (why do you think that?)... I have to disagree... He shoots right, has great skill with the puck, has size and a great work ethic IMO.

3 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Really (why do you think that?)... I have to disagree... He shoots right, has great skill with the puck, has size and a great work ethic IMO.

I don't really disagree with his abilities but think we have other forwards with more of the same skills that would be better suited to playing the third line. Also by replacing Dlo with him on the 4th line we don't lose the size on that line but add a much more effective scoring element to it. lines could be:

Tatar-Domi-Lehkonen (Shaw once he returns)

Drouin-Danault-Gallagher

Byron-Kotkaneimi-Hudon (Lehkonen once Shaw returns)

Agostino-Chaput-Armia (this would give the 4th line a scoring threat that it currently lacks)

30 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I don't really disagree with his abilities but think we have other forwards with more of the same skills that would be better suited to playing the third line. Also by replacing Dlo with him on the 4th line we don't lose the size on that line but add a much more effective scoring element to it. lines could be:

Tatar-Domi-Lehkonen (Shaw once he returns)

Drouin-Danault-Gallagher

Byron-Kotkaneimi-Hudon (Lehkonen once Shaw returns)

Agostino-Chaput-Armia (this would give the 4th line a scoring threat that it currently lacks)

See, here's where we differ... IMHO Armia is a better choice than either Hudon or Lehkonen for the third line. I do believe that both are better options than Agostino or Deslaurier though.

1 hour ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

See, here's where we differ... IMHO Armia is a better choice than either Hudon or Lehkonen for the third line. I do believe that both are better options than Agostino or Deslaurier though.

Perhaps your right but I don't see as much of an offensive side to his game as Lehkonen and Hudon. I will admit though I am only basing my opinion on his play this year as before that I hadn't seen him play before. I like his defensive game though and that's why I would keep him on the team over any other options on the 4th line.

8 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Perhaps your right but I don't see as much of an offensive side to his game as Lehkonen and Hudon. I will admit though I am only basing my opinion on his play this year as before that I hadn't seen him play before. I like his defensive game though and that's why I would keep him on the team over any other options on the 4th line.

As far as points go, Armia is doing just as well as Lehkonen.

9 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I watch every Habs game and still have to disagree... and I also base my opinion on what I've seen so far this year.

30 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

As far as points go, Armia is doing just as well as Lehkonen.

Yes he is... considering he has played less games and prorated he would be just about even. And Lehkonen has been given more of a offensive opportunity as well. Armia actually has the better shooting %... so those still thinking he does not possess an offensive side to his game should reconsider his value to the team as being more than a 4th liner. IMHO Lehkonen's value and spot in the depth chart is slipping.

Domi. Skilled, cheeky but has to learn to control his temper. :banana_dancing:

Tatar comes a close second.  One of the rare skilled wingers the organization had acquired. 

Actually, I'm of the "Carey Price bandwagon".  IMO, he has surprised me the most. I thought he was turning from "all world" to mediocre.