Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ramcharger440

Drouin

114 posts in this topic

Talent is not an issue but something seems to be missing, he is young still but he leaves me wanting more pretty much every game even when he puts up points. not sure he is a guy you build with, should we be looking to move him for someone else this off season? or perhaps we package him with someone to get a really solid piece? we have a lot of good young forwards on the cusp it may be a smart move considering what he may be able to help us get.

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

Talent is not an issue but something seems to be missing, he is young still but he leaves me wanting more pretty much every game even when he puts up points. not sure he is a guy you build with, should we be looking to move him for someone else this off season? or perhaps we package him with someone to get a really solid piece? we have a lot of good young forwards on the cusp it may be a smart move considering what he may be able to help us get.

He's missing the 'hunger'.

Seems we have to have someone to pick on every year. This year it's JD, last year, Max,,,Pleks, then DD, and others,,,, we love to eat our own. :4224:

25 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Seems we have to have someone to pick on every year. This year it's JD, last year, Max,,,Pleks, then DD, and others,,,, we love to eat our own. :4224:

No it’s still you.

1 hour ago, HabsRuleForever said:

No it’s still you.

:6416:

Drouin has all the tools, but I dunno ...he doesn't have great vision/hockey sense to use those tools at the NHL level.    At the Junior level he would look great simply because of speed and his tools.   But at the NHL level, where you're dealing with defencemen with good hockey sense and anticipation ... his plays just don't work.    His favourite move seems to be a blind drop pass ... that any NHL defencemen is going to defend against.

He also tends to try and control the puck for far longer than he should which eventually limits his options as again, NHL level defencemen are going to take away the room he has.

Drop pass after drop pass to no one or to an opposing player skating the other way. Does he chase him? No, let’s head to the bench.

I wonder if he just doesn't mesh well with CJ he plays a style of hockey that isn't the crash the net kind that Gally and others play and CJ likes those kinds of players but I have seen JD play that style and look good doing it I just wonder if he doesn't like it and would rather just try and use his quick hands to create space that doesn't always work out for him

He should be a shooter and I believe can be. Put him with Domi or KK someone that can set him up and he doesn't have to create his own space.

His problem is he wants to be the team star, and that is no longer the case.  It seems to me that he "sulks" and only really plays for the money

Flashes of Kovalev, albeit totally different playstyles. Kovy had the same tendency of trying to do it all by himself, the difference being that it would actually work more often than not and he could be a game changer, at least in his prime. It may sound cliché but Drouin needs to keep it simple IMO, he'd be a much better player IMO. Despite all the obvious skill, his inefficiency is difficult to watch sometimes.

Drouin reminds me of Alexandre Daigle being a flop...

Yeah... 23 years old approaching a career high in points. We tend to get waaaayyyyyy too worked up about nothing. Like someone mentioned, we always need someone to cannibalize. Carey Price would say, "Chill." Plenty of time for Drouin to realize his potential with the CH.

Hmm, I guess $5.5 million for a 60-point-ish player isn't good enough. Chris Nilan posting on here or what?

Also, those criticizing his "heart" or "courage" or "effort"... How do you know how much Drouin is trying? Or how much of an non-measurable trait he is displaying during any given game?

10 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah... 23 years old approaching a career high in points. We tend to get waaaayyyyyy too worked up about nothing. Like someone mentioned, we always need someone to cannibalize. Carey Price would say, "Chill." Plenty of time for Drouin to realize his potential with the CH.

8 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Hmm, I guess $5.5 million for a 60-point-ish player isn't good enough. Chris Nilan posting on here or what?

I agree with your points, but he infuriates the crap out of me. Am I wrong but how many times does he drive to the net? I see 5 little backhand no look passes a game. He has tremendous upside & has contributed this year for sure but he's capable of so much more. Weill maybe he isn't? Yzerman saw this already. There is no defensive side to his game, he doesn't hustle back when he gives up the puck. When Domi is on the ice I hear the announcer say his name 3-4 times because he's always around the puck. I hear Drouin once, maybe twice. The first time with the puck the second giving it away. 

1 minute ago, HabsRuleForever said:

I agree with your points, but he infuriates the crap out of me. Am I wrong but how many times does he drive to the net? I see 5 little backhand no look passes a game. He has tremendous upside & has contributed this year for sure but he's capable of so much more. Weill maybe he isn't? Yzerman saw this already. There is no defensive side to his game, he doesn't hustle back when he gives up the puck. When Domi is on the ice I hear the announcer say his name 3-4 times because he's always around the puck. I hear Drouin once, maybe twice. The first time with the puck the second giving it away. 

Well, the coaching staff should be working with him to improve his overall play. If not, I don't think he's actually hurting the team to a point where he's regularly costing us points in the standings. Maybe the awareness, the defensive understanding, the improved decision-making, etc. will just come with experience.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Also, those criticizing his "heart" or "courage" or "effort"... How do you know how much Drouin is trying? Or how much of an non-measurable trait he is displaying during any given game?

I think you're right on the money with all 3 posts.     The thing that gets people frustrated is that he tantalizes you with his skill & you think "oh man this is the year he becomes a 100 point player" but in reality, he may never be that guy. A 60 point player is still very good and very welcome on this team. I feel like his defensive lapses are overstated. 

That said, if the possibility to improve our team elsewhere (Ie top pairing LD) was available Id certainly consider moving Drouin. He plays a position we are very strong at (lots of LW and several centres who can play LW) so moving him for young top D would be something to consider. 

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think you're right on the money with all 3 posts.     The thing that gets people frustrated is that he tantalizes you with his skill & you think "oh man this is the year he becomes a 100 point player" but in reality, he may never be that guy. A 60 point player is still very good and very welcome on this team. I feel like his defensive lapses are overstated. 

That said, if the possibility to improve our team elsewhere (Ie top pairing LD) was available Id certainly consider moving Drouin. He plays a position we are very strong at (lots of LW and several centres who can play LW) so moving him for young top D would be something to consider. 

Sure a 60 point player is good/decent.   The critism for me is with MB getting him in the first place.   Look at the trade

Drouin 3rd overall in 2013 draft, the lower production out of the top 5 guys that year ... behind Seth Jones a defencemen in terms of points. and a 6th conditional.

FOR

Sergachev 9th overall in 2016 draft and a 2nd conditional

Now, the picks were washed away because Sergachev played more than 40 season games.     However, on face value MB was willing to give up a potential top pairing LD and a 2nd round pick for a player 3 years older who had already alienated himself from his first organization.    That tells me in MB eyes he thought JD would be the superstar we lacked, and 2 years later its clear he is not.    Yes, trades are risky but at the time the deal was made JD was in his third year and had managed 53pts in 73 games.    In my opinion MB was willing to over pay for a guy who was already showing the signs of not living up to his talent ... a winger no less which are much easier to find than a LD.

I wasn't overly pleased with the deal back then and I view it with even more disdain seeing JD the last 2 years.

I watch pretty much every game. Just cannot understand the dislike for this guy. You all loved Galchenyuk who had many faults, but you cannot get behind Drouin. From what I see he works hard every game. Does he make some cross ice passes that make me cringe, oh yeah. But he is very young and I can see him getting close to 100 points in years to come. As I have said before trading him would be a huge mistake. The NHL is all about talent with the puck and skating now. He is great at both. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

His defensive lapses are definitely overstated.

And I agree... I would consider moving Drouin (I would consider moving anyone) if it improves our team.

7 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

(I would consider moving anyone) if it improves our team.

I think i usually have a few "untouchables" on my list but you're right, really no one is untouchable.

For example, Id consider Kotkaniemi and Brook pretty near untouchable as our best Centre and Defensive prospects. But if edmonton called & offered McDavid for the pair... ya know. 

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

The question is: Has Drouin become complacent with being a 60 point player? If he has become complacent we'll never know if he's really capable of a 100 point season unless he strives toward that goal.

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I don't totally disagree , but ...

He was born March 28, 1995, so he'll be 24 soon.

Recently saw ESP/60 stats that place him 7th on the Habs. 

Guess he must score lots of PP points. Nope, 77th in the league, tied with 8 others.

So, he hasn't been anything special so far, in spite of being MB's special child.

Speaking for myself (and maybe others), it's MB who I'm not happy with.