The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Drouin

ramcharger440

On 3/17/2019 at 3:24 PM, Noob616 said:

Drouin actually is what every dumb guy thinks the skill player on their favourite team is....

...The biggest concern with Drouin is whether or not the team is realistic in what he provides.

I sincerely doubt it, given the recent track record.

29 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Watching the game last night, I focused on JD, and not once did he make any mistakes. 

What i noticed is he kept the play in front of him most of the night rather then those continuous drop back passes. Made a difference IMO.

6 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

What i noticed is he kept the play in front of him most of the night rather then those continuous drop back passes. Made a difference IMO.

Now can he keep it up?

CONSCIOUS OR UNCONSCIOUS?

Jonathan Drouin must really be reluctant to Claude Julien for the coach of a National League team to deprive himself of his most talented player, a player who knew the best season of his career when the Canadian knew his best months for several years.

Must Drouin graf Julien in the depths of him. It may be because of his good looks, maybe because of his looks, maybe because like some very talented players before him, he can not turn into a plumber, but there is reasons. There is something else in hockey than being able to play "with no puck". Sometimes you have to take the risk of playing with the damn puck.

It's visceral. Never Claude Julien names the author of a blunder. Except when it was Jonathan Drouin.

How do you want a young man who is going to be 24 years old tomorrow to be able to be confident, to play with brilliance, to be inventive in the game?

Whether conscious or unconscious, whatever the reasons, Claude Julien does everything to demolish the player. The individual. The man.

WRONG PATTERNS

You read me. You do not earn 5 or 6 million a year. But you are a person. Man or woman. Or a bit of both. You work in an office, in a factory, in a shop, in a department store or in a production box.

You know very well what it's like to work for a good boss. A leader, someone who inspires you and drives you to excel.

But you've known a loved one who's been demolished by a sucker of energy, a petty being who has driven a friend or colleague to burnout or depression.

Worse, it may have happened to you. To no longer know what to do to satisfy a piss-vinegar. To lose your bearings. Your enthusiasm.

Remember how you would have prayed on your knees for an encouragement or a pat on the back. And that you only receive silence and reproaches.

I'm not saying that Claude Julien is that kind of boss. I'm not saying that Jonathan Drouin has the vulnerability of an ordinary worker.

But I say that Claude Julien does not know how to make the most of his most talented player.

11 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

Jonathan Drouin must really be reluctant to Claude Julien for the coach of a National League team to deprive himself of his most talented player, a player who knew the best season of his career when the Canadian knew his best months for several years.

Must Drouin graf Julien in the depths of him. It may be because of his good looks, maybe because of his looks, maybe because like some very talented players before him, he can not turn into a plumber, but there is reasons. There is something else in hockey than being able to play "with no puck". Sometimes you have to take the risk of playing with the damn puck.

It's visceral. Never Claude Julien names the author of a blunder. Except when it was Jonathan Drouin.

How do you want a young man who is going to be 24 years old tomorrow to be able to be confident, to play with brilliance, to be inventive in the game?

Whether conscious or unconscious, whatever the reasons, Claude Julien does everything to demolish the player. The individual. The man.

WRONG PATTERNS

You read me. You do not earn 5 or 6 million a year. But you are a person. Man or woman. Or a bit of both. You work in an office, in a factory, in a shop, in a department store or in a production box.

You know very well what it's like to work for a good boss. A leader, someone who inspires you and drives you to excel.

But you've known a loved one who's been demolished by a sucker of energy, a petty being who has driven a friend or colleague to burnout or depression.

Worse, it may have happened to you. To no longer know what to do to satisfy a piss-vinegar. To lose your bearings. Your enthusiasm.

Remember how you would have prayed on your knees for an encouragement or a pat on the back. And that you only receive silence and reproaches.

I'm not saying that Claude Julien is that kind of boss. I'm not saying that Jonathan Drouin has the vulnerability of an ordinary worker.

But I say that Claude Julien does not know how to make the most of his most talented player.

From Rejean Tremblay in The Journal, a google translation.

19 minutes ago, tony5775 said:

WRONG PATTERNS

The article is wrong CJ has called out other skilled players before (Patches, Chucky, KK and Hudon) He benched KK for 2 missed D assignments just a couple of games ago. I don't agree with his style just saying the article should be fact checking before printing. I would much rather have Drouin with Domi playing only offense than giving the puck to the other team cause he is trying NOT to screw up defensively and risk getting benched like KK.

Just now, campabee82 said:

The article is wrong CJ has called out other skilled players before (Patches, Chucky, KK and Hudon) He benched KK for 2 missed D assignments just a couple of games ago. I don't agree with his style just saying the article should be fact checking before printing. I would much rather have Drouin with Domi playing only offense than giving the puck to the other team cause he is trying NOT to screw up defensively and risk getting benched like KK.

Its by Rejean Tremblay so... :4224:

Do not know any thing about Rejean Tremblay. But it looks like he had a pretty lucrative career. 

By biggest worry is that Julien will be the one coaching all this promising new talent that is headed to this team. Because I agree he does not know how to coach real talent.

2 hours ago, tony5775 said:

Do not know any thing about Rejean Tremblay. But it looks like he had a pretty lucrative career. 

By biggest worry is that Julien will be the one coaching all this promising new talent that is headed to this team. Because I agree he does not know how to coach real talent.

based on what? i am not a big CJ fan but that is not why Drouin is in his doghouse it is stuff like lazy line changes that lead to goals endless back passes to no one or the other team and spotty backchecking. the talent is there with Drouin but at this level a player in his position as one of our best paid forwards he will be expected to lead by example. if he is the example we won't win much. oh and Rejean Tremblay is a hack he should write for the Enquirer!

25 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

based on what? i am not a big CJ fan but that is not why Drouin is in his doghouse it is stuff like lazy line changes that lead to goals endless back passes to no one or the other team and spotty backchecking. the talent is there with Drouin but at this level a player in his position as one of our best paid forwards he will be expected to lead by example. if he is the example we won't win much. oh and Rejean Tremblay is a hack he should write for the Enquirer!

Lets take Pastranak in Boston, when Julien was there they were trying to trade this guy. Soon as Julien left he became a superstar. That would be a perfect example. 

21 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yes because clearly Julien was unable to coach Bergeron, Marchand, Chara, McAvoy etc etc.  And Pastrnak had his break out season under Julien but lets not let the facts get in the way - way better to throw baseless opinions at the subject.

yep good way to cherry pick.... look CJ  is an old school coach and has to find a way to get Drouin to produce and play a responsible game but on the flip side the team is fighting for a playoff spot and Drouin has to change his diapers and get on with it, he gets paid good money to get the job done and he is not doing all he can when the team really needs him and he is supposed to be one of our key guys. he is just ok and if that is all he has we made a big mistake getting rid of a blue chip Dman which we seem to need a lot more than we need a pouty forward who has already gone to war with his last team and been flushed by them.

Bottom line for me... I think Drouin has a selfish approach to the game and what he's willing to do to win. He's shown immaturity both here and in Tampa, and maybe he'll learn some day, but for now, we're stuck with what he is. He's a talented hockey player, maybe the most skilled player on the team, and even though he hurts us in some areas, it still doesn't make any sense to plug Dale Weise or Matthew Peca into his spot in the line-up in the middle of as tight a playoff race as you can have. The only reason to pull Drouin right now would be out of spite and this team can't afford to toss its playoff hopes aside in favor of sending a message. There's another time for sending a message to Drouin. Maybe it could have been done earlier in the year. Maybe you do it in the off-season or at the start of next year. But for now, he's still an asset in some areas and the Habs are better off trying to capitalize on what he does well. A I suggested, a good start might be pairing him with two ultra-responsible players like Danault and Lehkonen, who can still skate but also cover up some of his lacunes defensively.

56 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Bottom line for me... I think Drouin has a selfish approach to the game and what he's willing to do to win. He's shown immaturity both here and in Tampa, and maybe he'll learn some day, but for now, we're stuck with what he is. He's a talented hockey player, maybe the most skilled player on the team, and even though he hurts us in some areas, it still doesn't make any sense to plug Dale Weise or Matthew Peca into his spot in the line-up in the middle of as tight a playoff race as you can have. The only reason to pull Drouin right now would be out of spite and this team can't afford to toss its playoff hopes aside in favor of sending a message. There's another time for sending a message to Drouin. Maybe it could have been done earlier in the year. Maybe you do it in the off-season or at the start of next year. But for now, he's still an asset in some areas and the Habs are better off trying to capitalize on what he does well. A I suggested, a good start might be pairing him with two ultra-responsible players like Danault and Lehkonen, who can still skate but also cover up some of his lacunes defensively.

that would open a nice spot at center between Gally and Tuna......

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/analyze-this-canadiens-pariah-jonathan-drouin-shows-offensive-upside

From the Article ... Drouin is #18 in LW's for points, #15 if you look at just 5v5.  However, with him on the ice we give up 10% more than league average in scoring chances ... and this is the line that stood out for me the most:

He was oversold by Canadiens management, and that was a mistake. He’s not an elite forward, but he is an offensively gifted player who struggles in his own zone. And, in the long run, there’s nothing wrong with that.

This is exactly how I feel.   MB and the Habs went out and got him with what could be considered our best LD prospect we had in years and then hyped Drouin up as a legit elite player that Montreal had not had in years.

While Drouin isn't horrible ... he's not "great" either.    What we gave up for him was too much and his glaring defensive problems make him an over all poor fit for the team.  To further compound the problem is now in the 2nd year of this trade and we're still looking for a top LD that Sergachev might have been.    Trading for Drouin at the time made no sense to be honest ... we traded a top LD that we needed for a LW that we had plenty of.   

28 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/analyze-this-canadiens-pariah-jonathan-drouin-shows-offensive-upside

From the Article ... Drouin is #18 in LW's for points, #15 if you look at just 5v5.  However, with him on the ice we give up 10% more than league average in scoring chances ... and this is the line that stood out for me the most:

He was oversold by Canadiens management, and that was a mistake. He’s not an elite forward, but he is an offensively gifted player who struggles in his own zone. And, in the long run, there’s nothing wrong with that.

This is exactly how I feel.   MB and the Habs went out and got him with what could be considered our best LD prospect we had in years and then hyped Drouin up as a legit elite player that Montreal had not had in years.

While Drouin isn't horrible ... he's not "great" either.    What we gave up for him was too much and his glaring defensive problems make him an over all poor fit for the team.  To further compound the problem is now in the 2nd year of this trade and we're still looking for a top LD that Sergachev might have been.    Trading for Drouin at the time made no sense to be honest ... we traded a top LD that we needed for a LW that we had plenty of.   

Yeah, i probably disagree slightly with some of the extremes (I do think Drouin still has the potential to be an elite forward but its up to him to achieve that, no one else can do that for him) and Im not sold that Sergachev will be a top pairing player either (although I agree he was by far our best LD prospect at the time) - but I whole heartedly agree that the trade was a mistake not necessarily in value but based on team needs. 

With Galchenyuk and Pacioretty gone our LW depth is a little less but I still think that if there's an opportunity to trade Drouin this summer for our glaring need at LD we should do it. Id be curious to know if MB and CJ feel the same way.  

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

With Galchenyuk and Pacioretty gone our LW depth is a little less but I still think that if there's an opportunity to trade Drouin this summer for our glaring need at LD we should do it. Id be curious to know if MB and CJ feel the same way.  

The whole point was they believed they were trading for a C or at least a winger that could play C.    Our need at the time was C ... so trade Sergachev for an actual proven C, not a winger that *might* be able to play C.

3 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

The whole point was they believed they were trading for a C or at least a winger that could play C.    Our need at the time was C ... so trade Sergachev for an actual proven C, not a winger that *might* be able to play C.

I'm sure Drouin's being French-Canadian had a lot to do with that trade.I think that may have blinded management at the time. 

54 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

I think the assessment in italics is fair. A good, offensive forward. But one that might need sheltered zone starts and defensively responsible linemates. This is something we can work with.

I think we're still too early in the Drouin-Sergachev trade to determine a "winner." I think it was a fair value trade at that time. I still think that.

4 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I think we're still too early in the Drouin-Sergachev trade to determine a "winner." I think it was a fair value trade at that time. I still think that.

100% totally agree - in a vacuum.  As ive said numerous times, Im not convinced Sergachev is ever more than a #3-4 dman - i think he's very good, but is he more valuable than a 60 point winger?  Not sure yet.  Too early to call a winner of the trade yet for sure imho.

Having said that based on our needs, I dislike the trade very much.  I  was fine with it at the time (trading a prospect for a proven 50 point 22 year old) but ONLY if we then turned around & addressed our other needs (namely, on D).  

• H_T_L locked this topic