The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Drouin

ramcharger440

I dont want to defend him because he can be really lazy. But we are stuck with him because he really has no value in a trade, after his auspicious start in Tampa and we try to trade him after 2 seasons...well your not going to get very much. He is still one of the most talented players we have. And untill some of the Kids like Poeling, KK, Yolen, Suziki can step in. We need to hope Drouin grows up and performs better for us. If the kids surpass him, then you cut your loss and get on with things.

I really think he belongs with Domi. It would be nice to upgrade the right side, Shaw had a very respectable season but needs to be playing on the 3rd or 4th line where he started this season. 

17 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

I dont want to defend him because he can be really lazy. But we are stuck with him because he really has no value in a trade, after his auspicious start in Tampa and we try to trade him after 2 seasons...well your not going to get very much. He is still one of the most talented players we have. And untill some of the Kids like Poeling, KK, Yolen, Suziki can step in. We need to hope Drouin grows up and performs better for us. If the kids surpass him, then you cut your loss and get on with things.

I really think he belongs with Domi. It would be nice to upgrade the right side, Shaw had a very respectable season but needs to be playing on the 3rd or 4th line where he started this season. 

I think he still has value. If we can find a team with cap room, I would trade Drouin and Alzner for a 7th round pick. I hate him and want nothing to do with him. Use the money to sign Gardiner. 

I don't like the guy either but it will be a tough pill to swallow for the team if we lose him for nothing and as much as i don't like him we have to be sure he will not rebound into something useful! i doubt it but really we are not in the room he my be hurt we just don't know.

5 hours ago, habsisme said:

I think he still has value. If we can find a team with cap room, I would trade Drouin and Alzner for a 7th round pick. I hate him and want nothing to do with him. Use the money to sign Gardiner. 

VALUE??? not much value in a 7th round pick :)....

Gardiner would be a worst mistake than Drouin. 

If we are not going to get rid of Weber for a good young LD then we may as well get another grizzeld vet to play with him and a grizzeled vet who can still skate. I would try for Duncan Keith. Top 30 in scoring and a plus 13 on a really bad Chicago team.. Maybe Drouin For Keith and a second round pick. We have lots of young dee who can develop over the next two years to replace Weber and Keith..

3 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I don't like the guy either but it will be a tough pill to swallow for the team if we lose him for nothing and as much as i don't like him we have to be sure he will not rebound into something useful! i doubt it but really we are not in the room he my be hurt we just don't know.

He was almost a point per game player over the first 55 or 60 games. His game disappeared over the last 20 - 25 games. 

• 2 weeks later...

Drouin has got be be showcased next year then moved before the deadline.  Right now his value is as low as ever, so I do not like shopping him now ... he does have to go though, he doesn't fit well with this city, this group, this identity, this plan. 

On 4/7/2019 at 5:33 PM, caperns61 said:

VALUE??? not much value in a 7th round pick :)....

Gardiner would be a worst mistake than Drouin. 

If we are not going to get rid of Weber for a good young LD then we may as well get another grizzeld vet to play with him and a grizzeled vet who can still skate. I would try for Duncan Keith. Top 30 in scoring and a plus 13 on a really bad Chicago team.. Maybe Drouin For Keith and a second round pick. We have lots of young dee who can develop over the next two years to replace Weber and Keith..

He was almost a point per game player over the first 55 or 60 games. His game disappeared over the last 20 - 25 games. 

I think a lot of this also is similar to Chucky. The first part of the season he played with mostly Domi the teams most creative center. When he was moved down the line up his points dropped off and his defensive side of the game was more exposed. The big difference is that Chucky wasn't trade for what most fans thought was a pressing need and then compared against. Also Chucky as our own pick was given a lot of latitude with the fans , always 'just use him in offensive zone draws and "shelter him".  I really believe that Drouin can be useful if he plays with another gifted forward. I think Domi because of his speed and creativity is the right fit. Yes he has to continue to work on his defensive side of the game. I think though with say Shaw or Gallager or maybe Lek. alongside Domi they could strive. He's the type player the more offensive chances he gets he's more into the game and motivated. A lot of players that come up through the Q are offense first as that is the style played there. I also think that it would enhance Domi's game because the second half he basically was given projects. Let's get Lek's going , put him with Domi. Domi with his speed and vision and defensively has proven he is the #1 center moving forward. Give Domi the offensive guys to explode. Drouin Domi Suzuki , Tatar JK Gallager…..then Danualt and Poeling lines.

3 hours ago, FanFromAB said:

Drouin has got be be showcased next year then moved before the deadline.  Right now his value is as low as ever, so I do not like shopping him now ... he does have to go though, he doesn't fit well with this city, this group, this identity, this plan. 

I think this could be what the strategy will be for now, while they look for that coveted left-defenseman

7 hours ago, FanFromAB said:

add...."this sport "

On 4/18/2019 at 6:42 PM, CaptWelly said:

I think a lot of this also is similar to Chucky. The first part of the season he played with mostly Domi the teams most creative center. When he was moved down the line up his points dropped off and his defensive side of the game was more exposed. The big difference is that Chucky wasn't trade for what most fans thought was a pressing need and then compared against. Also Chucky as our own pick was given a lot of latitude with the fans , always 'just use him in offensive zone draws and "shelter him".  I really believe that Drouin can be useful if he plays with another gifted forward. I think Domi because of his speed and creativity is the right fit. Yes he has to continue to work on his defensive side of the game. I think though with say Shaw or Gallager or maybe Lek. alongside Domi they could strive. He's the type player the more offensive chances he gets he's more into the game and motivated. A lot of players that come up through the Q are offense first as that is the style played there. I also think that it would enhance Domi's game because the second half he basically was given projects. Let's get Lek's going , put him with Domi. Domi with his speed and vision and defensively has proven he is the #1 center moving forward. Give Domi the offensive guys to explode. Drouin Domi Suzuki , Tatar JK Gallager…..then Danualt and Poeling lines.

I agree Domi and Droiun did play well together over the first 50 games. I also would prefer they use Lekonen with them. Lekonen is a much better skater, plays all zones well,   I think there is offense in Lekonen not sure why its not there yet though???

I like KK , he has a nice package of size, hockey IQ and NHL shot, however, I am not sure he is ready to take over from Danualt yet. I think he still needs to be in that number 3 spot. He still looks like he is chasing the play. Alot can happen over the next 5 or 6 months though, if he continues to get stronger and work on his foot speed. But another year in the 3 spot is fine.. I would actually like to see Poeling on the wing with KK at center and Armia on the right side...injuries happen throughout the season. If Domi or Danult go down, KK can move up and Poeling can take over the 3 spot....

IF KK comes into camp with better foot speed and strengh and clearly outplays Danualt then i think you have Danualt drop to number 4 and Poeling takes over the number 3 spot...

your 4th line could be Byron, Danualt and Shaw.. Soooo Depending on what lines are going you would not really have a 4th line more like 2 top seconds and 2 top 3rds.

Until we can find that winger who can be a true sniper like Patches was we really dont have a number one line..I think Domi and KK both have the skill set to be top line centers. They need the wingers to complement them. Shoot first players. Maybe if we dont get that deeman at number 15 we get that sniper at number 15...2019 draft.

And then on top of all this you have Suzuki ......WHO may yet be the best of them all :)

From having one of the worst group of center over the last 10 plus year. IF these kids continue to develop, It looks like we may be one of the strongest in the yrs to come...

5 hours ago, caperns61 said:

I agree Domi and Droiun did play well together over the first 50 games. I also would prefer they use Lekonen with them. Lekonen is a much better skater, plays all zones well,   I think there is offense in Lekonen not sure why its not there yet though???

I like KK , he has a nice package of size, hockey IQ and NHL shot, however, I am not sure he is ready to take over from Danualt yet. I think he still needs to be in that number 3 spot. He still looks like he is chasing the play. Alot can happen over the next 5 or 6 months though, if he continues to get stronger and work on his foot speed. But another year in the 3 spot is fine.. I would actually like to see Poeling on the wing with KK at center and Armia on the right side...injuries happen throughout the season. If Domi or Danult go down, KK can move up and Poeling can take over the 3 spot....

IF KK comes into camp with better foot speed and strengh and clearly outplays Danualt then i think you have Danualt drop to number 4 and Poeling takes over the number 3 spot...

your 4th line could be Byron, Danualt and Shaw.. Soooo Depending on what lines are going you would not really have a 4th line more like 2 top seconds and 2 top 3rds.

Until we can find that winger who can be a true sniper like Patches was we really dont have a number one line..I think Domi and KK both have the skill set to be top line centers. They need the wingers to complement them. Shoot first players. Maybe if we dont get that deeman at number 15 we get that sniper at number 15...2019 draft.

And then on top of all this you have Suzuki ......WHO may yet be the best of them all :)

From having one of the worst group of center over the last 10 plus year. IF these kids continue to develop, It looks like we may be one of the strongest in the yrs to come...

I agree and think Lek could be a good fit because he already is good defensively and if just starts to capitalize on chances his totals could go up easy. I really do think you need to plan to start Drouin with Domi that combination and skill set with the right fit of another winger could be a great line, maybe even Suzuki at right wing on that line. I actually agree about JK starting again at the 3rd line spot. He's still really young and needs to develop a little more. That wouldn't mean as the season went along that he couldn't move up the line up. I would like to see Poeling given a center spot even 4th line. I like that he has size something we're going to need down the middle. That's what the team was hoping to do with MaCarron. Though they were trying to convert him to center from wing were as Poeling has always been a center. I also believe that we don't actually need a 'true" #1 #2 #3 #4 line. We actually have a pool a guys that can skate that you could roll 4 lines fast and be a tougher team that way. 

• H_T_L locked this topic