The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Game #78 ~ Montreal Canadiens @ Columbus Blue Jackets. Thursday, March 28th, 2019.

Clues

ch3.gif.840169a78ce774de2e14c00ab4cf8586.gif

COLUMBUS - Here are five things you need to know ahead of Thursday night's game against the Blue Jackets at Nationwide Arena.

1. After thumping the Florida Panthers at the Bell Centre on Tuesday night, the Canadiens made their way to Columbus on Wednesday afternoon for a showdown with a Blue Jackets squad that sits just two points behind them for the final wild card spot in the East. Paul Byron didn't accompany Claude Julien's contingent to Ohio, though. He suffered an upper-body injury against the Panthers during a tussle with MacKenzie Weegar and remained in Montreal where he will continue to be evaluated on a daily basis. It remains to be seen who will take Byron's spot in the lineup, but we should find that out when the Canadiens hit the ice for Thursday's morning skate in the state capital. The Canadiens will also visit Winnipeg on this two-game road trip.

2. It goes without saying that the Canadiens would love to deliver the same type of offensive output they generated against the Panthers. During their 6-1 victory, Tomas Tatar scored twice, while Max Domi, Phillip Danault, Artturi Lehkonen and Brett Kulak all found the back of the net as well. In fact, 12 different Habs players registered their names on the scoresheet. For his part, Carey Price was outstanding again between the pipes, turning aside 33 of 34 shots to register his 33rd win of the season. 

3. Early Thursday morning, it was revealed that the Montreal chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association (PHWA) had selected Andrew Shaw as the Canadiens' Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy candidate for the 2018-19 season. The award is presented annually to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship, and dedication to hockey. Interestingly enough, the contest versus Columbus will also mark the 500th game of Shaw's NHL career.

4. This will mark the third and final regular season meeting between Columbus and Montreal. The Canadiens have won both of the previous encounters, most recently earning a 3-2 victory on February 19 at the Bell Centre. The Blue Jackets are riding a two-game winning streak after blanking the Canucks by a score of 5-0 on Sunday in Vancouver, before returning home and shutting out the Islanders by a score of 4-0 on Tuesday. Artemi Panarin leads Columbus with 78 points, while Cam Atkinson boasts a team-leading 39 goals so far this year.

5. Puck drop on Thursday night is scheduled for 7:00 p.m. ET. You can watch the game on TSN2 and RDS, and listen to all the action on TSN Radio 690 and 98,5 fm. Following the contest, the Habs will travel to Manitoba for a tilt against the Jets on Saturday evening at Bell MTS Place.

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/pregame-canadiens---blue-jackets---march-28/c-306190202

koolaid.jpg.cda07342f9d25e29dadbd8bd38a73020.jpg

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

The most must win of all the must wins that we ever musted. :mellow:

indeed.  Its still entirely possible that both of these teams make the playoffs ( Carolina is only 1 point ahead and even teams like Pittsburgh and NYI are not a lock yet) but this is going to be a severe mental blow to whichever team loses. I think even more so to Columbus since a win by us would put us at 92pts (and a first WC spot) and Columbus at 88.

Really hoping for a big effort all around tonight.  Lets see if the new leadership and "change of attitude" guides les boys in a high pressure game. ;) 

Also hoping for a Washington win please. 

• H_T_L pinned this topic

COLUMBUS - Here's a look at the forward lines and defense pairings featured at Thursday's morning skate at Nationwide Arena.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Domi - Shaw
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Deslauriers - Thompson - Weal

Extras: Peca, Hudon, Weise

Mete - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Benn - Folin
Reilly

Price
Niemi
Lindgren

Well ... looks like DLo back in ... sigh

46 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

COLUMBUS - Here's a look at the forward lines and defense pairings featured at Thursday's morning skate at Nationwide Arena.

Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lehkonen - Domi - Shaw
Drouin - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Deslauriers - Thompson - Weal

Extras: Peca, Hudon, Weise

Mete - Weber
Kulak - Petry
Benn - Folin
Reilly

Price
Niemi
Lindgren

Well ... looks like DLo back in ... sigh

UGG.  WHY?

With Byron out, choices should be:

Peca >  Hudon > Weise > Mike Reilly at FWD > a bunch of options in Laval >  DLo. 

Good thing its not an important game. 

23 minutes ago, maas_art said:

UGG.  WHY?

Peca >  Hudon > Weise > Mike Reilly at FWD > a bunch of options in Laval >  DLo. 

:4224:

My nomination for "sarcastic line of the month".

"3. Early Thursday morning, it was revealed that the Montreal chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association (PHWA) had selected Andrew Shaw as the Canadiens' Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy candidate for the 2018-19 season. The award is presented annually to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, 3. Early Thursday morning, it was revealed that the Montreal chapter of the Professional Hockey Writers Association (PHWA) had selected Andrew Shaw as the Canadiens' Bill Masterton Memorial Trophy candidate for the 2018-19 season. The award is presented annually to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship,..."

Andrew Shaw & sportsmanship - two things that shouldn't be even mentioned in the same universe!

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Thanks Clues :). 

TSN reporting that it "looks like" Dlo is going to play. 

I frickin' knew Julien would do it. I hate to assume, but it's probably all because Byron got punched in the face. So now we need to overcompensate by putting in someone that can punch other people in the face. #brillianthockey :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I frickin' knew Julien would do it. I hate to assume, but it's probably all because Byron got punched in the face. So now we need to overcompensate by putting in someone that can punch other people in the face. #brillianthockey :rolleyes:

You called it.  I had hoped it wasnt going to happen but it is what it is i guess.   Hopefully DLo is just invisible and doesnt hurt us.    The real crappy part is that Byron is an elite 4th liner (he's a 3rd or even 2nd liner on most teams) so its not just replacing your #4LW, we're replacing arguably our 6 or 7th best forward with arguably the worst forward in our system. Certainly the worst on our NHL roster. 

4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

You called it.  I had hoped it wasnt going to happen but it is what it is i guess.   Hopefully DLo is just invisible and doesnt hurt us.    The real crappy part is that Byron is an elite 4th liner (he's a 3rd or even 2nd liner on most teams) so its not just replacing your #4LW, we're replacing arguably our 6 or 7th best forward with arguably the worst forward in our system. Certainly the worst on our NHL roster. 

Yeah, it was so predictable that it was almost certain to go the other way and NOT to happen. But then... it did happen. I guess the team hasn't stepped onto the ice yet, so... I have some small amount of faith that someone else will play. However, if it is D'lo, that will be disappointing.

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

the team hasn't stepped onto the ice yet, so... I have some small amount of faith that someone else will play. 

True. Its possible someone else (like Peca or Hudon) was working on something else but I am assuming CJ will want to have the guy who practiced, in for the game. 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Just when you think all is right in the universe. Unbelievable:rolleyes:

The Blue Jackets are already without defenseman Ryan Murray so the Canadiens will need to try and take advantage of their depleted blue line and a tired Seth Jones. 

Arpon Basu: "Matt Duchene played for Canada with Carey Price in Sochi and the World Cup: “He just makes you feel like you can win the game, whether you’re outplaying them or being outplayed. So I know how it feels to play in front of him. That’s the scary thing, I guess. I know how they feel”

I just hope DLO's enthusiasm doesn't translate into useless hits that put him out of position and place even more stress on the D coverage. It's fine to be physical but be smart about it. My hope now is that he doesn't hurt us out there because we all know CJ likes to overuse his 4th line, which is fine when DLO's not on it.

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

UGG.  WHY?

I'm with you on Peca over Hudon over the rest... I'm not sure Weise is any better an option than Deslauriers at this point though. He was a decent 4th liner a few years ago, but his speed has dropped off and he hasn't finished anything around the net either. Deslauriers might be a bit better defensively even... toss up for me on those two, but for sure would rather have seen Peca in over both of them.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I'm with you on Peca over Hudon over the rest... I'm not sure Weise is any better an option than Deslauriers at this point though. He was a decent 4th liner a few years ago, but his speed has dropped off and he hasn't finished anything around the net either. Deslauriers might be a bit better defensively even... toss up for me on those two, but for sure would rather have seen Peca in over both of them.

Yeah part of me still is nostalgic for the old weise but i think that guy is gone.  I think Dlo is underrated defensively and I think CJ values his "hustle' but right now i dont know how anyone can possibly like him over Peca or Hudon.   

• H_T_L unpinned this topic
  • H_T_L locked this topic