Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poehling and Primeau sign 3-year pact with Habs


BigTed3
 Share

Recommended Posts

Poehling, Josh Brook, KK, Julsen Skating, Mete, Jesse Ylonen, Cayden Fleury coming on ....So happy for the next few years :)

We need to move Weber for a left deeman and open up a spot on the right side.

We can afford to move Drouin also for a top end young left handed dee, or draft picks

I want to keep Petry for now he is more suited for todays game...even though his value is probably at an all time high...

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Will join the Canadiens imminently.

Happy to have him on the team officially now. 

Even happier that we can finally stop hearing all the crap about how people have 'inside knowledge' he was going to bolt & go ufa after next season. :P lol

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Will join the Canadiens imminently.

Now those fans who were worried that Poehling was going to test the open market can rest easy.  Maybe Bergevin is considering a different look for the Habs next year.  If I were choosing wingers for him, I would choose Domi on the left and Shaw or Weal on the right.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Primeau signing also seems to indicate that the back-up role is Lindgren's to lose next season... unless McNiven absolutely robs him of it in camp. I do, however, expect McNiven and Primeau to be platooning in Laval for the Rocket. I also wonder if Bergevin brings in another veteran back-up to compete for the spot in camp. Probably not a terrible idea.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

The Primeau signing also seems to indicate that the back-up role is Lindgren's to lose next season... unless McNiven absolutely robs him of it in camp. I do, however, expect McNiven and Primeau to be platooning in Laval for the Rocket. I also wonder if Bergevin brings in another veteran back-up to compete for the spot in camp. Probably not a terrible idea.

Please no more past their prime vets 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

17 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Now those fans who were worried that Poehling was going to test the open market can rest easy.  Maybe Bergevin is considering a different look for the Habs next year.  If I were choosing wingers for him, I would choose Domi on the left and Shaw or Weal on the right.

Poehling despite the hype is just Phillip Danault ... that's all.   He is never going to be the top center.    Suzuki and Kotkaniemi will be our top 1C and 2C and Poehling will slot in at 3 in a two way role.   I expect if he plays at all this year or next in the NHL that he'll be on wing to start.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

 

Poehling despite the hype is just Phillip Danault ... that's all.   He is never going to be the top center.    Suzuki and Kotkaniemi will be our top 1C and 2C and Poehling will slot in at 3 in a two way role.   I expect if he plays at all this year or next in the NHL that he'll be on wing to start.

Has Danault ever singlehandedly tied up a game via a natural hat trick in the 3rd period?  And how many times has Danault been the MVP of anything?

I think people are underestimating this kid.  Not that it matters because it’s Bergevin and company in charge of screwing up his development eventually.  

I mean look at what they’re doing to Kotkaniemi.  Healthy scratch this year, left winger with a bad attitude next year.  Mark my words

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Has Danault ever singlehandedly tied up a game via a natural hat trick in the 3rd period?  And how many times has Danault been the MVP of anything?

I think people are underestimating this kid.  Not that it matters because it’s Bergevin and company in charge of screwing up his development eventually.  

I mean look at what they’re doing to Kotkaniemi.  Healthy scratch this year, left winger with a bad attitude next year.  Mark my words

And people way over estimate Poehling based on ONE game.    One game does not define his skill set.    Multiple scouting reports and having read every article about him since draft day does ... and he's a 2way checking forward with some offensive potential ... he has never been touted as a top line C ... ever. 

Poehling finished 77th in NCAA scoring at less than a PPG.     Overall he had 75pts in 107games. 31 in 36 in his last year.

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017/5/30/15706650/ryan-poehling-2017-nhl-draft-profile

Poehling is a player that should have a nice, long NHL career and be a solid contributor for whatever team he plays for. At the same time, five to 10 years from now, I think people will look at the back of his hockey card and say, “Wow, I can’t believe he went that high in the Draft.” Barring a big change, I don’t see Poehling ever being a top line forward, and he’s likely never going to be a player that is really counted to provide offense. But he’ll be a valuable player that makes his team better in a third or fourth line role by doing the quiet little things to help maintain possession and make the players around him look better.

And outside of one incredible game at the WJC he's looked exactly like the above.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, HabsAlways said:

 

Poehling despite the hype is just Phillip Danault ... that's all.   He is never going to be the top center.    Suzuki and Kotkaniemi will be our top 1C and 2C and Poehling will slot in at 3 in a two way role.   I expect if he plays at all this year or next in the NHL that he'll be on wing to start.

 

3 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Has Danault ever singlehandedly tied up a game via a natural hat trick in the 3rd period?  And how many times has Danault been the MVP of anything?

I think people are underestimating this kid.  Not that it matters because it’s Bergevin and company in charge of screwing up his development eventually.  

I mean look at what they’re doing to Kotkaniemi.  Healthy scratch this year, left winger with a bad attitude next year.  Mark my words

Im hopeful that he'll probably land somewhere between what you guys are saying but either way,  with Kotkaniemi, Domi, Suzuki, Poehling, Danault +  This team finally looks like we have a  LOT of depth down the middle.  Not sure where Poehling is going to fall in that group (or really, where any of them will) and if any guys will be converted to wing, but the future looks bright up front.   Now is the time to get the LD situation sorted out. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/1/2019 at 2:28 PM, maas_art said:

 

Im hopeful that he'll probably land somewhere between what you guys are saying but either way,  with Kotkaniemi, Domi, Suzuki, Poehling, Danault +  This team finally looks like we have a  LOT of depth down the middle.  Not sure where Poehling is going to fall in that group (or really, where any of them will) and if any guys will be converted to wing, but the future looks bright up front.   Now is the time to get the LD situation sorted out. 

I saw an article on TEN or Sportsnet the other day that said the Habs have been furiously trying to get Romanov over here for next season with no real headway but aren't giving up. Maybe we don't see him next year but it is nice to see MB finally actually trying to rectify the LHD situation. I will see if I can find the article.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I saw an article on TEN or Sportsnet the other day that said the Habs have been furiously trying to get Romanov over here for next season with no real headway but aren't giving up. Maybe we don't see him next year but it is nice to see MB finally actually trying to rectify the LHD situation. I will see if I can find the article.

Thing is though - even if they can get him over (and im not sure they can) is he really going to be top pairing material right away (if ever?)  

The problem with our D isnt a lack of overall quality its a lack of a very specific player.  Between Petry, Weber, Juulsen and Brook we should be set at RD for some time.   Mete looks like he's comfortably a second pairing guy, and we have tons of players who can fill in on that 3rd pair LD. What we truly lack is a #1LD. Someone who is unquestionably better than Mete and can step into that slot.  I dont think Romanov is that guy - even though I do think he might well end up there soon. 

I think MB is going to have to trade for a top pairing guy. Unfortunately I think you're going to either have to look at getting an older player to fill in until our kids have developed, or a prospect who could be a risk.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I saw an article on TEN or Sportsnet the other day that said the Habs have been furiously trying to get Romanov over here for next season with no real headway but aren't giving up. Maybe we don't see him next year but it is nice to see MB finally actually trying to rectify the LHD situation. I will see if I can find the article.

 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

Thing is though - even if they can get him over (and im not sure they can) is he really going to be top pairing material right away (if ever?)  

The problem with our D isnt a lack of overall quality its a lack of a very specific player.  Between Petry, Weber, Juulsen and Brook we should be set at RD for some time.   Mete looks like he's comfortably a second pairing guy, and we have tons of players who can fill in on that 3rd pair LD. What we truly lack is a #1LD. Someone who is unquestionably better than Mete and can step into that slot.  I dont think Romanov is that guy - even though I do think he might well end up there soon. 

I think MB is going to have to trade for a top pairing guy. Unfortunately I think you're going to either have to look at getting an older player to fill in until our kids have developed, or a prospect who could be a risk.  

If we think back to Emelin, he was a guy who was highly-regarded as a crushing defenceman who could step into a top 4 role immediately because of his experience in Russia. And in some ways, he did come over here and have success. But he clearly wasn't a savior and was more of a supporting-role type defenceman. I'd agree that we can't expect Romanov to come over here and be a first-pairing guy. He may not even be able to play in the top 4 or top 6 right away as he adjusts. Sure, he's a nice asset to have and ideally we'd bring him over to get used to the NHL sooner rather than later, but hard to throw all your eggs in that basket. Maybe he's another Mike Reilly or Brett Kulak.

As Maas said, we need a top-pairing LHD and in my view their are two ways to fix that sooner rather than later. One is to trade Drouin for a guy who can fill that role. Two is to trade one of Petry or Weber. In both situations, you're creating another hole, but in the first, you have to have faith that you have more wing depth than LHD depth and that players like Suzuki or Poehling or so on are closer to filling a hole up front than one on the back end. In general, you can hide a younger winger more easily in the line-up anyways. In the second case, you would certainly create a hole on the right side of the D, but it would be a hole on the 2nd pairing instead of the first. Either Weber or Petry can handle first-pairing duties for the next year or two, especially if you can find a better partner to assist them. And if Juulsen returns and Brook or Fleury can make the jump, then a 2nd pairing of Mete-Juulsen isn't so bad and a 3rd-pairing of Reilly-Brook or Kulak-Brook or Reilly-Kulak (or Romanov-Kulak if you want) is more than workable. And in any case, Weber has clearly declined in level of play and can he and Petry can both be expected to drop off a bit more in the next 2-3 years. So it might be a good time to deal one of them while they're still highly-regarded and fetch a younger left-handed guy who can move the puck and fit better into what we should be trying to do.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

As Maas said, we need a top-pairing LHD and in my view their are two ways to fix that sooner rather than later. One is to trade Drouin for a guy who can fill that role. Two is to trade one of Petry or Weber. In both situations, you're creating another hole, but in the first, you have to have faith that you have more wing depth than LHD depth and that players like Suzuki or Poehling or so on are closer to filling a hole up front than one on the back end. In general, you can hide a younger winger more easily in the line-up anyways. In the second case, you would certainly create a hole on the right side of the D, but it would be a hole on the 2nd pairing instead of the first. Either Weber or Petry can handle first-pairing duties for the next year or two, especially if you can find a better partner to assist them. And if Juulsen returns and Brook or Fleury can make the jump, then a 2nd pairing of Mete-Juulsen isn't so bad and a 3rd-pairing of Reilly-Brook or Kulak-Brook or Reilly-Kulak (or Romanov-Kulak if you want) is more than workable. And in any case, Weber has clearly declined in level of play and can he and Petry can both be expected to drop off a bit more in the next 2-3 years. So it might be a good time to deal one of them while they're still highly-regarded and fetch a younger left-handed guy who can move the puck and fit better into what we should be trying to do.

This.  I think you'd agree with me that its incredibly unlikely that MB even considers moving Weber right now. He absolutely should but I think MB is such a huge proponent of "intangibles" and character I feel like he would do anything in his power to get a guy like Weber or Toews or similar - regardless of how effective they are at that stage of their career just for the leadership. And now that he's got one, he aint letting him go.

So if Weber is off limits then I think you have to seriously consider moving Petry.  He's scored 45 points this year and is on pace for his 3rd consecutive career season.  Even though he's 31 he's showing no signs of slowing down and i think you could sell him to a number of teams wanting immediate help who are willing to give up a younger, skilled prospect.

That said, even if MB does consider moving Petry I am not certain he would do so with a prospect in mind.  I think MB thinks we can compete now & unless he brings back an established player, he isnt moving Petry.  Maybe he considers a forward like Drouin, dunno.


I could actually see him (MB ) making a move for an older LHD (like 28-32) as a stop gap.   I could even see him going after an older player like Ryan Suter.  I could see him enquiring about Jake Gardiner, but im not sure he'll bite.   Ideally, if we go after a stop-gap until the prospects are ready, you'd want someone who is only under contract for a couple of years and any of the better quality UFA dmen are going to want 5 years minimum. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

This.  I think you'd agree with me that its incredibly unlikely that MB even considers moving Weber right now. He absolutely should but I think MB is such a huge proponent of "intangibles" and character I feel like he would do anything in his power to get a guy like Weber or Toews or similar - regardless of how effective they are at that stage of their career just for the leadership. And now that he's got one, he aint letting him go.

So if Weber is off limits then I think you have to seriously consider moving Petry.  He's scored 45 points this year and is on pace for his 3rd consecutive career season.  Even though he's 31 he's showing no signs of slowing down and i think you could sell him to a number of teams wanting immediate help who are willing to give up a younger, skilled prospect.

That said, even if MB does consider moving Petry I am not certain he would do so with a prospect in mind.  I think MB thinks we can compete now & unless he brings back an established player, he isnt moving Petry.  Maybe he considers a forward like Drouin, dunno.


I could actually see him (MB ) making a move for an older LHD (like 28-32) as a stop gap.   I could even see him going after an older player like Ryan Suter.  I could see him enquiring about Jake Gardiner, but im not sure he'll bite.   Ideally, if we go after a stop-gap until the prospects are ready, you'd want someone who is only under contract for a couple of years and any of the better quality UFA dmen are going to want 5 years minimum.

The UFA crop is really thin this year on the back end. There's Karlsson as a righty, obviously, but it's pretty unlikely he'll come here. As far as lefties go, Gardiner is really the only player of interest who can provide some amount of offensive ability. Edler is likely going back to Vancouver, while the Leafs probably need to work to create cap space for Gardiner. Because of how thin the ranks are, I wouldn't be surprised if it takes a 5-year deal at 6M a season to sign Gardiner. It's doable, but it's a price to pay for not having your own solution there and having to go to the free agent market.

If you look at RFA's (and I'm not suggesting a hostile offersheet because GM's apparently just don't do that), maybe there's a guy that another team doesn't feel is worth paying or can't fit safely under their cap. The Jackets have both Werenski and Ryan Murray to re-sign, albeit with the potential massive wave of departures of UFA's, they will probably have a ton of cap space. Philly has Provorov and Sanheim, but both are young and unlikely to be seen as trade commodities. Will Butcher from the Devils could be another option or Nikita Zadorov from Colorado, especially since they have Cole Makar coming (and a top 3-4 pick).

There are a few options, but ultimately it really looks like MB is going to have to give up an asset of importance to make something work. He rightfully doesn't want to trade a young prospect like Suzuki or Poehling or Juulsen to make it happen, so Drouin, Weber, or Petry really have to be the prime targets.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, maas_art said:

Thing is though - even if they can get him over (and im not sure they can) is he really going to be top pairing material right away (if ever?)  

The problem with our D isnt a lack of overall quality its a lack of a very specific player.  Between Petry, Weber, Juulsen and Brook we should be set at RD for some time.   Mete looks like he's comfortably a second pairing guy, and we have tons of players who can fill in on that 3rd pair LD. What we truly lack is a #1LD. Someone who is unquestionably better than Mete and can step into that slot.  I dont think Romanov is that guy - even though I do think he might well end up there soon. 

I think MB is going to have to trade for a top pairing guy. Unfortunately I think you're going to either have to look at getting an older player to fill in until our kids have developed, or a prospect who could be a risk.  

 

4 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

 

If we think back to Emelin, he was a guy who was highly-regarded as a crushing defenceman who could step into a top 4 role immediately because of his experience in Russia. And in some ways, he did come over here and have success. But he clearly wasn't a savior and was more of a supporting-role type defenceman. I'd agree that we can't expect Romanov to come over here and be a first-pairing guy. He may not even be able to play in the top 4 or top 6 right away as he adjusts. Sure, he's a nice asset to have and ideally we'd bring him over to get used to the NHL sooner rather than later, but hard to throw all your eggs in that basket. Maybe he's another Mike Reilly or Brett Kulak.

As Maas said, we need a top-pairing LHD and in my view their are two ways to fix that sooner rather than later. One is to trade Drouin for a guy who can fill that role. Two is to trade one of Petry or Weber. In both situations, you're creating another hole, but in the first, you have to have faith that you have more wing depth than LHD depth and that players like Suzuki or Poehling or so on are closer to filling a hole up front than one on the back end. In general, you can hide a younger winger more easily in the line-up anyways. In the second case, you would certainly create a hole on the right side of the D, but it would be a hole on the 2nd pairing instead of the first. Either Weber or Petry can handle first-pairing duties for the next year or two, especially if you can find a better partner to assist them. And if Juulsen returns and Brook or Fleury can make the jump, then a 2nd pairing of Mete-Juulsen isn't so bad and a 3rd-pairing of Reilly-Brook or Kulak-Brook or Reilly-Kulak (or Romanov-Kulak if you want) is more than workable. And in any case, Weber has clearly declined in level of play and can he and Petry can both be expected to drop off a bit more in the next 2-3 years. So it might be a good time to deal one of them while they're still highly-regarded and fetch a younger left-handed guy who can move the puck and fit better into what we should be trying to do.

I wasn't saying Romanov was going to solve our 1 LHD issue was more saying it would be nice to have him over here as a depth option with the chance he excels into the 1 LHD unlikely but hopeful and at least MB is acknowledging the issue now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...