The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Poehling and Primeau sign 3-year pact with Habs

BigTed3

On 2019-04-01 at 2:06 PM, HabsAlways said:

And people way over estimate Poehling based on ONE game.    One game does not define his skill set.    Multiple scouting reports and having read every article about him since draft day does ... and he's a 2way checking forward with some offensive potential ... he has never been touted as a top line C ... ever. 

Poehling finished 77th in NCAA scoring at less than a PPG.     Overall he had 75pts in 107games. 31 in 36 in his last year.

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/2017/5/30/15706650/ryan-poehling-2017-nhl-draft-profile

Poehling is a player that should have a nice, long NHL career and be a solid contributor for whatever team he plays for. At the same time, five to 10 years from now, I think people will look at the back of his hockey card and say, “Wow, I can’t believe he went that high in the Draft.” Barring a big change, I don’t see Poehling ever being a top line forward, and he’s likely never going to be a player that is really counted to provide offense. But he’ll be a valuable player that makes his team better in a third or fourth line role by doing the quiet little things to help maintain possession and make the players around him look better.

And outside of one incredible game at the WJC he's looked exactly like the above.

You were saying...😎

33 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Name me one other prospect in any era, let alone the Bergevin one, that scored not only a hat tirck to tie the game, but the shoot out winner as well, in their debut.

I did some digging:

In the modern era (ie, since 1943) *, only 6 players (including Poehling) have ever done it. 

Alex Smart, (the only other Hab) 1943.

Real Cloutier, Nordiques 1979.

Fabian Brunnstrom, Dallas 2008.

Derek Stepan, New York Rangers 2010

Auston Matthews (modern record with 4) 2016

and now Poehling 2019.   

Poehling is the only player to score a shootout goal as well as his hat trick I do believe.  He got the GTG and (essentially) the GWG

(* Joe Malone and Harry Hyland each scored five goals in their NHL debut in 1917 but these are not generally counted because everyone was a rookie in 1917 since the league just started.  Malone had been playing professionally for 7 years.)

18 minutes ago, CaptWelly said:

So if the same happens to Suzuki or any others I'm sure you'll say the same ?

I'm being realistic about the skill set Poehling is supposed to have and all the scouting reports on him.

Suzuki is supposed to have offensive upside.   Suzuki so far has shown it consistently at the CHL level.   

Poehling is supposed to be a solid two way forward that can play 2nd or 3rd line.    He has never been touted as an offensive start.    Even in College he was like 70th or so overall in scoring ... yes he can have the occasional spectacular game, but realistically he's projected to be around where Danault is.    He was a late 1st round draft choice NOT a top 10/20 pick.      Everyone that keeps thinking he is going to be on our top line is in for a disappointment.   He will be a key piece yes, but not the guy who leads us offensively.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/nhl-entry-draft-picks-2017/2017/6/23/15865788/getting-to-know-montreal-canadiens-25th-overall-selection-ryan-poehling-habs-highlights-draft-ncaa

There isn’t much about his skill set that suggests he’s due for an offensive breakout, but rather will see limited offensive output throughout his career, making his mark with his offensive-zone forecheck and puck protection abilities.

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/top-25-under-25/2018/8/23/17770926/ryan-poehling-2018-montreal-canadiens-top-25-under-25-prospect-profile-projection-scouting-stats

Ryan Poehling will become an NHL player. His defensive play and forecheck alone will ensure that he reaches that goal, and that was evident even before he was drafted last year.

The question has been just how much offence he can produce at the pro level. He seems to be content to distribute the puck to teammates, and that prevents his game from blossoming at the NCAA level, let alone the NHL one.

https://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/hockey-inside-out/pat-hickey-canadiens-fans-may-have-to-wait-for-junior-prospects

but his value in the NHL is as a two-way centre. There are concerns about his foot speed, but he possesses a strong hockey IQ. Poehling is a junior at St. Cloud State, the top-ranked program in U.S. college hockey, and he is valued for his 200-foot game.

I could find more if I tried ... but over and over again the scouting reports and analysis is that Poehling will be a solid two way forward with some offensive game but he is projected to be a 2nd or 3rd line forward.

Some players blossom late, he showed some goods last night no one really knows what he will bring other than what he has been projected as....and we all know those projections are never wrong right? i see something special in this kid lets not forget he was on a line with DLO last night. i think he will do well but who can really say what that will mean for him? he has way more speed than i was expecting with all this talk of his foot speed those are two fast teams that were on the ice last night and he looked more than fine speed wise! and for a guy who just likes to pass to his teamates...well he shoots pretty good too! i for one am happy with the play i saw last night he looked much better than our offensive superstar Drouin!

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

Some players blossom late, he showed some goods last night no one really knows what he will bring other than what he has been projected as....and we all know those projections are never wrong right? i see something special in this kid lets not forget he was on a line with DLO last night. i think he will do well but who can really say what that will mean for him? he has way more speed than i was expecting with all this talk of his foot speed those are two fast teams that were on the ice last night and he looked more than fine speed wise! and for a guy who just likes to pass to his teamates...well he shoots pretty good too! i for one am happy with the play i saw last night he looked much better than our offensive superstar Drouin!

I don't know that was a pretty sweet shoot out goal Droiun scored. Big Yawn...just kidding

We missed the playoffs again and it sucks.

Poeling had one of those games where eveything that could go right went right. The game itself was like an all star game,each team had over 50 shots, and probably a 100 directed at the net. Have you heard about John Scott he got MVP in one of those games. 

Having said, my take on Poeling last night....

He has a nice strong skating stride, almost reminds me a bit of Marian Hossa. With his size and skating. He has a nice release and he plays along the wall well and goes to the net well. Didnt really see him carry the puck much nor did I get the impression he belongs in the the middle. He was certainly making sure he was in a good defensive position all night. 

First time I seen him play, I would be more inclined to think he may be a better winger than a center.....

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Excellent debut for Poehling. Holy moly, I never would have guessed a hat trick and shootout winner in game #1. :lol: I don't expect to see that level of output from him next season, but he sure did show that he belongs!

seriously thats the most epic debut I can think of ....ever

just build the guy a statue our front now hahaha 

3 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

This is bang on. Countless players(Datsyuk anyone, 171st pick) have been picked in later rounds and gone on to stellar careers while 1st round picks(Wickenheiser, Alexandre Daigle) have been total busts. Only time and coaching will tell.

Poehling looks good to me! I don't expect he'll be able to score 3 goals a game every night, but I certainly liked the looks of what he brings to the table. Big, strong center that isn't uncomfortable driving the net. Used his size well. I've read a lot of "nay saying" regarding him since his draft, personally, I was surprised when he slipped and satisfied when we picked him. He might not be an Austin Matthews or a Conner McDavid, but if he turns out to be a Ryan O'Reilly or a Sean Monahan, I will be very happy. I read in one of the earlier posts a negative comparison between him and Danault, like that's such a bad thing. Danault is't all that shabby himself, very effective considering his skill set. If Poehling can achieve Danults level of effectiveness, but filtered through his own particular skill set and attributes, he would check off a lot of boxes that have been long left unchecked.

I'm hoping to see a 4th line consisting of him, Byron and Weal for the start of next season. But as it stands, we look to have a pretty interchangeable center ice. Between Danault, Domi, KK and Poehling... looks pretty good to me.   

31 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Poehling looks good to me! I don't expect he'll be able to score 3 goals a game every night, but I certainly liked the looks of what he brings to the table. Big, strong center that isn't uncomfortable driving the net. Used his size well. I've read a lot of "nay saying" regarding him since his draft, personally, I was surprised when he slipped and satisfied when we picked him. He might not be an Austin Matthews or a Conner McDavid, but if he turns out to be a Ryan O'Reilly or a Sean Monahan, I will be very happy. I read in one of the earlier posts a negative comparison between him and Danault, like that's such a bad thing. Danault is't all that shabby himself, very effective considering his skill set. If Poehling can achieve Danults level of effectiveness, but filtered through his own particular skill set and attributes, he would check off a lot of boxes that have been long left unchecked.

I'm hoping to see a 4th line consisting of him, Byron and Weal for the start of next season. But as it stands, we look to have a pretty interchangeable center ice. Between Danault, Domi, KK and Poehling... looks pretty good to me.   

Yes best in decades! a little help at first pairing LHD and perhaps a power play shooter and we will be good.

we've all seen it in the past where some phenom player in the college level or minors comes to the Big league and fails to perform up to expectations, or even fails to last more than a couple years at a pro level. And then there's the other guys who barely make the team, or only get a chance because somebody else gets hurt.....and surprises everybody with their talent.

having said that , congrats to Poehling on a fantastic start...playing on the fourth line with you-know- who....in a "rivalry" game against a team good enough (it hurts to say that) to already be in in the playoffs....it would have been awesome if he had only scored 1 goal......no I dont believe for a minute that he'll get 3 or 4 goals a night ....but to have THAT talent and enthusiasim on our team will be nothing but a good thing

I feel like Poehling being an NHLer is a given.  He's basically a lock as a 3rd-4th liner.  Can he be a 2nd liner? Maybe.  1st? Doubtful but who knows. 

I think at worst he's Lars Eller 2.0

Most likely he's Danault 2.0

In a perfect world, if his game translates more into the NHL than the college game (it happens, but rarely) then he's ROR 2.0 

Cant wait to find out!

• H_T_L locked this topic