The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Who Do You Think Will Win, And Who Do You Want To Win?

kinot-2

20 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

You were saying.... really though no one saw that coming! i put it on the coach no excuse to fail that badly with that team! 

Not all on Cooper. A few other factors:

- Hedman was missing for part of the series and undoubtedly played hurt the rest of it, seeing as he missed several games at the end of the season for the same injury.

- Kucherov suspended for a key Game 3

- TB has a killer PP. We all saw the refs stop calling things down the stretch and into the playoffs, hence maybe not as many PP opportunities as they would have benefited from in the regular season (don't actually know the numbers on this though)

- Clb obviously has a better roster than their record would indicate, given the upgrades they made at the deadline and some guys who were injured in season and healthier now

For sure Cooper deserves some of the blame, but there are other factors too. And in the end, the players need to take the brunt of the responsibility themselves.

Adding  Duchene and Dzingel allowed Columbus to move second and third liners like Foligno to the fourth line. If Columbus could sign their UFA's they could be tough to beat and this may be the argument their GM  uses in attempting to resign them. They are going to be well rested for their next series. I think Cooper needs to wear this as this wasn't a 7 game series loss it was a sweep. He will be on a short leash next year. Worlds collided in that series and Columbus looks like the real deal right now.

23 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

You were saying.... really though no one saw that coming! i put it on the coach no excuse to fail that badly with that team! 

Columbus just played like a team that had absolutely nothing to lose while Tampa played like a team under pressure. Losing Hedman was probably the biggest factor in Tampa losing.

On 4/17/2019 at 9:05 AM, jennifer_rocket said:

Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh ousted in four straight games. Odd. I, like many, thought Tampa Bay would be in the Finals. I guess not. I thought the Islanders and Penguins series would be competitive... So surprised Pittsburgh didn't win a single game. Was Lehner playing really well?

The whole team was. Last I saw, Washington was having their hands full of Carolina. I hate to say it, but Toronto-Boston is the series of the opening round so far. They have a war going. I watched part of the Vegas-San Jose series last night but the game was so late I could not watch the whole thing.

As of right now, it's entirely possible that Tampa (already eliminated), Boston (down 3-2), and Washington (tied 2-2) all lose in the first round. That would leave the Isles as the only home team in the East to make it through the first round, and many had Pittsburgh as the favorite in that series.

In the West, likewise, home teams Calgary, Winnipeg, and San Jose are both down 3-2 and Nashville is tied 2-2 with Dallas. So in theory, up to 7 of the 8 home teams could be gone in round 1. Talk about parity. Talk about getting into the playoffs and then you never know... if all of that happens, who are the favorites to make the Cup finals? Toronto would probably be the best team left in the East, but hard to know if they'd even be a favorite against Columbus. And Vegas and St. Louis probably get the odds in their favor over Colorado and Dallas, but they'd both be Round 2 home teams as 3rd seeds in their own divisions.

And to look at it from a Habs perspective if that scenario plays out, Colorado, Dallas, and Vegas all finished behind Montreal in the overall standings, while Columbus, Carolina, and St. Louis were all within 3 points of us (3 points in the standings is as simple as you would be ahead of them if you had beat them in a game you lost). Almost makes it seem like winning the Cup could have been doable if we had snuck in...

14 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

As of right now, it's entirely possible that Tampa (already eliminated), Boston (down 3-2), and Washington (tied 2-2) all lose in the first round. That would leave the Isles as the only home team in the East to make it through the first round, and many had Pittsburgh as the favorite in that series.

In the West, likewise, home teams Calgary, Winnipeg, and San Jose are both down 3-2 and Nashville is tied 2-2 with Dallas. So in theory, up to 7 of the 8 home teams could be gone in round 1. Talk about parity. Talk about getting into the playoffs and then you never know... if all of that happens, who are the favorites to make the Cup finals? Toronto would probably be the best team left in the East, but hard to know if they'd even be a favorite against Columbus. And Vegas and St. Louis probably get the odds in their favor over Colorado and Dallas, but they'd both be Round 2 home teams as 3rd seeds in their own divisions.

And to look at it from a Habs perspective if that scenario plays out, Colorado, Dallas, and Vegas all finished behind Montreal in the overall standings, while Columbus, Carolina, and St. Louis were all within 3 points of us (3 points in the standings is as simple as you would be ahead of them if you had beat them in a game you lost). Almost makes it seem like winning the Cup could have been doable if we had snuck in...

And with Carey playing his best hockey in the last few months, you're right. 

Bizarre first round... for round 2, if we're re-visiting predictions, I'd update mine as being

- Clb in 7

- NYI in 5

- Stl in 6

- Col in 7

with NYI over Clb and Stl over Col... and a Blues victory over the Isles in the finals. Not the ending I would have envisioned a couple of months ago, for sure.

At this point, I'm definitely cheering against San Jose. Yeah, a team near the top of who I wanted to see win with Jumbo Joe being deserving and running out of time, but I wouldn't feel like their winning would be legit after the refs gifted them the series win over Vegas. Ditto for cheering against the Canes, who got away with a lot of things that should have been major penalties or suspensions in the first round. And obviously still hate the Bruins, with Debrusk too getting away with what should have been an ejection and suspension for his knee on knee hit. Three teams I don't want to see move on because of how the league's poor officiating/DOPS helped them advance. For now, I'll be cheering for (in order)

1. Islanders

2. Avalanche

3. Stars

4. Blues

5. Jackets

6. Canes

7. Sharks

8. Bruins

Let's see how I did...

On 4/8/2019 at 9:27 AM, habs_93 said:

TBL over CBJ in 5
BOS over TOR in 6
CAR over WSH in 7
NYI over PIT in 5

NSH over DAL in 5
WPG over STL in 5
CGY over COL in 4
SJS over LVK in 7

I didn't want to make it a sweep in that Tampa series, so I was generous and gave Columbus a game. Funny how it works, eh? I didn't think Boston would need seven games again, but here I am: wrong, again. I'll 100% take that game 7 win for Carolina, though. I also heavily suspected the Islanders would make it happen against Pittsburgh. Nashville, Winnipeg, and Calgary surprised the heck out of me. San Jose did not. Last year was a pure fluke for Vegas. Onto the second round:

On 4/8/2019 at 9:27 AM, habs_93 said:

BOS over CAR in 7
NYI over CAR in 6

CGY over SJS in 5
WPG over NSH in 6

I guess I thought Carolina was going to have to play a lot. I'll stick with Boston in seven against Columbus, though. I'm not sure about the Islanders anymore. Carolina was gutsy in that series. It might take seven, or Carolina might pull it out.

Updated predictions:

BOS over CBJ in 7
CAR over NYI in 7

STL over DAL in 5
SJS over COL in 6

• H_T_L locked this topic