Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
HabsRuleForever

Christian Folin Agrees To One Year Contract

38 posts in this topic

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/christian-folin---contract---april-18/c-306864844

MONTREAL - Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced on Thursday that the team has agreed to terms on a one-year, one-way contract (2019-20 - $800,000) with defenseman Christian Folin.

Folin, 28, played 45 games in 2018-19 with the Canadiens and the Philadelphia Flyers, recording six assists, 27 penalty minutes, 78 hits and a +6 differential. The 6'03'' and 204 lbs defenseman averaged 15:40 of ice time per game.

In 228 career NHL regular season games with Montreal, Minnesota, Los Angeles and Philadelphia since his debut in 2013-14, Folin has recorded 42 points (7 goals, 35 assists) and 107 penalty minutes. He has a +22 differential. He appeared in six career NHL playoff games.

A native of Gothenburg, Sweden, Folin was acquired by the Canadiens from the Flyers on February 9.

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, HabsRuleForever said:

https://www.nhl.com/canadiens/news/christian-folin---contract---april-18/c-306864844

MONTREAL - Montreal Canadiens general manager Marc Bergevin announced on Thursday that the team has agreed to terms on a one-year, one-way contract (2019-20 - $800,000) with defenseman Christian Folin.

Folin, 28, played 45 games in 2018-19 with the Canadiens and the Philadelphia Flyers, recording six assists, 27 penalty minutes, 78 hits and a +6 differential. The 6'03'' and 204 lbs defenseman averaged 15:40 of ice time per game.

In 228 career NHL regular season games with Montreal, Minnesota, Los Angeles and Philadelphia since his debut in 2013-14, Folin has recorded 42 points (7 goals, 35 assists) and 107 penalty minutes. He has a +22 differential. He appeared in six career NHL playoff games.

A native of Gothenburg, Sweden, Folin was acquired by the Canadiens from the Flyers on February 9.

A decent third pairing right defenseman with experience. I think those of us looking forward to seeing players like Juulsen, Brook et al. will have to wait. If a trade can be made to acquire a first pairing left-defenseman one of Mete, Kulak or Benn could be moved out.

Edited by Habs_Hockey_Nutz

is there something written into our team code of conduct that we have to sign at least one plug to an unnecessary charity contract per year?? 

5 minutes ago, jeff33 said:

is there something written into our team code of conduct that we have to sign at least one plug to an unnecessary charity contract per year?? 

:4224:

Not really surprised. 

As I outlined in another thread, it seemed likely we would sign one of Benn or Folin (I dont expect both) as an insurance policy.   At one year and so little $$ its pretty meaningless. You could bury  him in the minors & completely remove his salary from our cap. 

As long as guys like Juulsen and Brook are given ample opportunity to leapfrog Folin, i dont really have an issue with it.  

14 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Not really surprised. 

As I outlined in another thread, it seemed likely we would sign one of Benn or Folin (I dont expect both) as an insurance policy.   At one year and so little $$ its pretty meaningless. You could bury  him in the minors & completely remove his salary from our cap. 

As long as guys like Juulsen and Brook are given ample opportunity to leapfrog Folin, i dont really have an issue with it.  

The last part is the important part. If the Habs sign Folin and use him as they did Ouellet, then it's fine. Send him to Laval, have him be a veteran mentor there and act as an insurance policy if you really get hit with injuries. As a guy who is 9th or 10th on your depth chart, he's fine. What can't happen is for MB to believe he can use Folin in his top 6 and that that's fine. And you especially can't do that if you also plan on using Benn and/or Kulak as well. Can't have half your D be made up of fringe NHLers who are 6-7 guys at best.

It's why finding the 1 LHD is so important. Not only does it help Weber with a better partner, but it also puts Mete back with Petry, instead of weighing Petry down with a third-pairing guy like Kulak or Benn. And it pushes Kulak back to the 3rd pair, where he belongs, and Folin out of the line-up. Instead of having three guys playing one seat above what they're capable of, finding one key guy puts everyone else back into a more appropriate role. It's a big difference on many levels, not just one.

2 hours ago, jeff33 said:

I'm with Habs=stanleycup............:4224:

3 hours ago, Habs=stanleycup said:

:4224:

1 hour ago, habs1952 said:

I'm with Habs=stanleycup............:4224:

3 hours ago, jeff33 said:

page 789, pargraph 3, line 7............lol

Minor housekeeping item. Adds a little depth to the right side for next season. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't think anyone needs to worry about Folin's contract holding back young players if they excel in camp. I would still expect Kulak to also receive a new contract from the team.

5 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Minor housekeeping item. Adds a little depth to the right side for next season. Nothing more, nothing less. I don't think anyone needs to worry about Folin's contract holding back young players if they excel in camp. I would still expect Kulak to also receive a new contract from the team.

Except that this team rated/played

Murray > Tinordi and Pateryn

Bouillon > Beaulieu

Desharnais > Eller

King > Galchenyuk

Martinsen > Andrighetto

Danault > Kotkaniemi

Deslauriers > Hudon

Niemi > Lindgren

History says the Habs will almost always favor a mediocre veteran over a younger player with talent. Even if they keep a guy like Brook or Fleury on the team, they're almost certainly going to play behind or on par with the likes of Benn, Folin, Kulak, etc. I don't believe Brook will be kept off the team if he really earns a spot, but I do believe he will be on a short leash and that Folin will be given much more wiggle room to make mistakes and stay in the line-up despite them.

2 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Except that this team rated/played

Murray > Tinordi and Pateryn

Bouillon > Beaulieu

Desharnais > Eller

King > Galchenyuk

Martinsen > Andrighetto

Danault > Kotkaniemi

Deslauriers > Hudon

Niemi > Lindgren

History says the Habs will almost always favor a mediocre veteran over a younger player with talent. Even if they keep a guy like Brook or Fleury on the team, they're almost certainly going to play behind or on par with the likes of Benn, Folin, Kulak, etc. I don't believe Brook will be kept off the team if he really earns a spot, but I do believe he will be on a short leash and that Folin will be given much more wiggle room to make mistakes and stay in the line-up despite them.

Yeah... but I would agree to disagree that some of those ratings aren't as abysmal as we may have assumed them to be. How have we rated Niemi over Lindgren? Lindgren was given an opportunity to take the reigns in Laval and he absolutely dropped it. Hudon hasn't done anything to earn his way into the lineup over Deslauriers or anyone else in the bottom-six, IMO. Andrighetto was just another over-hyped prospect. Something we do with almost EVERY single player who comes through our system that excels at any level that's not the NHL. Sure, the organization has made mistakes with players. I don't think Folin signing a one-year deal will have much of an impact on the opportunity for our defensive prospects to prove their worth and earn regular NHL minutes in the next few seasons.

1 minute ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Yeah... but I would agree to disagree that some of those ratings aren't as abysmal as we may have assumed them to be. How have we rated Niemi over Lindgren? Lindgren was given an opportunity to take the reigns in Laval and he absolutely dropped it. Hudon hasn't done anything to earn his way into the lineup over Deslauriers or anyone else in the bottom-six, IMO. Andrighetto was just another over-hyped prospect. Something we do with almost EVERY single player who comes through our system that excels at any level that's not the NHL. Sure, the organization has made mistakes with players. I don't think Folin signing a one-year deal will have much of an impact on the opportunity for our defensive prospects to prove their worth and earn regular NHL minutes in the next few seasons.

I am not against the Folin signing as long as he is in the press box or in Laval as a depth player we need to give the young guys an opportunity to succeed. Next season for the first 20 we should be icing

Mete-Weber

Kulak-Petry 

Reilly-Juulsen/Brook/Fleury 

I think he should be penciled into the bottom pairing. We don't need to give young guys a chance to play 10 minute when they could be playing 25. If they emerge, great! If not we need folin and maybe Benn too. This team is trying to make the playoffs, we are not in rebuild mode.

Alzner is in the minors because he wasn't good enough. Same will happen to any other players if young guys are good enough.

6 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I am not against the Folin signing as long as he is in the press box or in Laval as a depth player we need to give the young guys an opportunity to succeed. Next season for the first 20 we should be icing

Mete-Weber

Kulak-Petry 

Reilly-Juulsen/Brook/Fleury 

I understand why MB signs elder  D men.

The Reilly-Juulsen/Brook/Fleury is a recipe for disaster. Two rookies , 49 games over 2 yrs for  NJ  and Reilly for whatever reason isn't in the good books of the coaching staff .

Mete I don't believe is top 2 D man , and Kulak is better suited in the 5 / 6 slot

6 minutes ago, Regis22 said:

I understand why MB signs elder  D men.

The Reilly-Juulsen/Brook/Fleury is a recipe for disaster. Two rookies , 49 games over 2 yrs for  NJ  and Reilly for whatever reason isn't in the good books of the coaching staff .

Mete I don't believe is top 2 D man , and Kulak is better suited in the 5 / 6 slot

No one thinks Mete is a true number 1 my point is they are all better suited and our top 8 D men right now than Folin who IMO is better suited to be a depth Dman than on the roster full time.Ideally like everyone else I would prefer something like

#1-Weber

Mete-Petry 

Kulak-Juulsen 

Reilly

With Brook and Fleury subbing in occasionally on the right somewhere 

Folin in Laval or press box

5 hours ago, habsisme said:

I think he should be penciled into the bottom pairing. We don't need to give young guys a chance to play 10 minute when they could be playing 25. If they emerge, great! If not we need folin and maybe Benn too. This team is trying to make the playoffs, we are not in rebuild mode.

Alzner is in the minors because he wasn't good enough. Same will happen to any other players if young guys are good enough.

Yeah but Alzner is also taking up usable cap space and so will the others if they are sent to Laval but at least they will be useful even in Laval unlike Alzner

31 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

my point is they are all better suited and our top 8 D men right now than Folin who IMO is better suited to be a depth Dman than on the roster full time.

But no one knows if  Brook and Fleury  are NHL ready .  

1 minute ago, Regis22 said:

But no one knows if  Brook and Fleury  are NHL ready .  

But how do you propose they find out if they don't try the in the NHL? Besides I said rotate them on the 3rd pairing as a tryout. You give Brook say 5-6 games at the beginning of the year and then Fleury same deal see if they hold their own or need the extra year in Laval. Everyone said Kotkaniemi wasn't ready but he proved them wrong who says the others won't as well. Our line up once again after giving Fleury and Brook their shot and if they get sent back down should still be 

#1-Weber

Mete-Petry 

Kulak-Juulsen 

Reilly

Folin (seeing as Folin is a RHD we don't need to keep him in Montreal as there are higher skilled better options available) only reason you do keep him around after is if your planning on trading one of Weber or Petry then you right side becomes

Weber or Petry whoever is still here

Juulsen

Folin or one of Brook or Fleury

I like signing Folin over Benn I think Folin is the better player but I don't think we NEED him as much as MB believes

Folin's contract may spell the end for Oullet, Reilly, and possibly Oloffson as we make room for some prospects. Benn is more likely to receive a better offer from someone else and in my mind  he would be good to keep around in case some of our more experienced players  get hurt. I'm not sure we have any confirmation on Juulsen for next year at this point.  I am not very impressed by the defencemen in free agency, and think Bergevin may need to hope we can land a gem with 8 picks out of the first 140 player or his usual signing of a prospect or two from overseas. I wouldn't mind seeing Kuhnackl or Zuccarello in a Habs jersey but am not sure we will be bale to offer the term they are looking for. 

On ‎20‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 0:18 AM, campabee82 said:

But how do you propose they find out if they don't try the in the NHL? Besides I said rotate them on the 3rd pairing as a tryout. You give Brook say 5-6 games at the beginning of the year and then Fleury same deal see if they hold their own or need the extra year in Laval.

That's what training camp is for .

3 hours ago, Regis22 said:

That's what training camp is for .

No IMHO training camp is for evaluation of whether or not they should get a shot the only way to see if they can make it in the NHL is to put them in a game situation. We are not going to agree IMO Folin is a depth Dman at best and Benn isn't really worth resigning cause we are loaded with better options on the right. You feel like experience trumps potential that is not proven which I don't but that's what makes this site interesting is all of the differing views on the same players.

17 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

No IMHO training camp is for evaluation of whether or not they should get a shot the only way to see if they can make it in the NHL is to put them in a game situation. We are not going to agree IMO Folin is a depth Dman at best and Benn isn't really worth resigning cause we are loaded with better options on the right. You feel like experience trumps potential that is not proven which I don't but that's what makes this site interesting is all of the differing views on the same players.

But if they're evaluated properly, then they could test them in some preseason games. 

I don't have a problem with a depth signing like this. If a kid from Laval beats him out for the job, then it has a nil effect on the Cap. You simply waive him and send him down. His total salary is pretty much nullified at that point. Certainly not an Alzner type of bonehead. 

Gives us a little depth if we run into injuries and if he ends up on the farm it gives us a little veteran presence to help out the kids. It's important they have success in Laval too in order to create that confidence. Losing is not a fun environment.

2 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

But if they're evaluated properly, then they could test them in some preseason games. 

LOLtrue but Juulsen isn't a prospect that needs evaluation either he is clearly an NHL dman so Folin should still be either a 7th dman or Laval bound, and that was my point I like the Folin signing IF it was for depth only if he is going to play above Juulsen on a nightly basis it's a bad signing as Juulsen is clearly the better player.

Weber-Petry-Juulsen looks miles better then Weber-Petry-Folin IMO anyway.

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

LOLtrue but Juulsen isn't a prospect that needs evaluation either he is clearly an NHL dman so Folin should still be either a 7th dman or Laval bound, and that was my point I like the Folin signing IF it was for depth only if he is going to play above Juulsen on a nightly basis it's a bad signing as Juulsen is clearly the better player.

Weber-Petry-Juulsen looks miles better then Weber-Petry-Folin IMO anyway.

If they believe that Juulsen is a top 4 dman at this point it gives MB the flexibility to trade Petry while his value is at an all time high.   Weber - Juulsen - Folin  isnt nearly as good as Weber - Petry - Juulsen  but if the return on Petry + is a top pairing LD then it may still make our defense better.  

Im not saying it will happen - or that MB is even exploring it - just that we do possibly have some options. Especially when our top D prospect is Brook & he could be ready as soon as next year.  There's also Fleury too although I see him more as a #4-6 at this point.