kinot-2

Rumours

1,523 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, H_T_L said:

Reimer has 2 seasons left at 3.4 mill and the Panthers seem desperate to move him. If they withhold a chunk of that salary he could be a possibility for our backup spot. 

yeah, i think that could be something. We have to protect our greatest asset and that is Price. LOAD MANAGEMENT! :4322:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At the end of the 2019 season Drouin, Gallagher and Danault may become prime trade candidates to make some room and get a  return some  prospects or draft picks. We will need to make some room at forward and while I am not anticipating all 3 to be moved one or 2 depending upon the return could easily be playing their last seasons here unless we have a great playoff run. This would be the easiest way to make room for the number of forwards we have waiting in the wings. By the end of the upcoming season Bergevin should have an excellent idea about who is ready to make the jump. I don't see too many of our prospects getting moved other than say an Evans.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's clear the 2021 off-season is shaping up to be a big one. JK and Poehling are RFA's. Tatar, Petry, Gallagher, and Danault are all UFA's. And there's also an expansion draft. As it stands right now, without re-signing any of those players, these are the guys I'd protect:

7F: Drouin, Domi (who will be re-signed), Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen, and 3 more (who could be Armia, Byron, and Shaw barring another player being added to the mix).

3D: Mete, Juulsen, and one wild card, maybe Fleury. But yeah, I'm not protecting Petry as a UFA and I'm not protecting Weber, who will be 36 heading into the season after, and if another team wants 36-year old Weber (whose salary will take a nosedive after 2021-22, which means he might opt for retirement a year later) then let them.

1G: No choice but to protect Price given he has a NMC; Lindgren and McNiven get exposed.

 

I'm frankly not too concerned about exposing any of Byron, Armia, or Shaw... you protect them if you have no one else, but if they're lost, they're lost. I would attempt to re-sign and protect Gallagher. I can't tell in two years whether Tatar will still have value to re-sign to a new deal, and I wonder if Danault will price himself out of our ability to sign him, in addition to becoming expendable if our younger centers develop. So I would partly agree with Habberwacky, that maybe you look at trading Danault and/or Tatar during the 2020 off-season or at the trade deadline in 2021 if you're not a legit Cup candidate. I also wonder if we shouldn't be looking to deal Weber at one of those times too and perhaps Petry.

So yes, that summer is going to be a huge decision point for us. We can theoretically let a lot of our big name guys walk or we can trade them before, in addition to losing someone via the ED. And everyone in the league expects a new US tv deal that summer to cause a big jump in the cap. All that to say that I'm actually not as concerned as some about signing a big name to a big deal now, be it a UFA or RFA. Say you offersheet Aho or Laine or Point or someone now and you can keep the AAV down low enough to not give up the 4 first rounders... well we have the cap space this year. And next year, we only owe a re-up to Domi, Mete, and Juulsen (the latter two of which should be small raises). Weise's money will come off the books. Mason's buyout hit will be off the books after this year too. So we probably have the room to add someone and be okay for the next two years and after that, you're going to get a lot of flexibility in 2021. Maybe it means we lose a Tatar or a Petry, but by then, the reserves from our recent drafts should be here (Romanov and Brook and Suzuki and Ylonen and so on will get a chance) and we'd have a big name free agent to add to the mix who might just be a better keep.

 

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

It's clear the 2021 off-season is shaping up to be a big one. JK and Poehling are RFA's. Tatar, Petry, Gallagher, and Danault are all UFA's. And there's also an expansion draft. As it stands right now, without re-signing any of those players, these are the guys I'd protect:

7F: Drouin, Domi (who will be re-signed), Kotkaniemi, Lehkonen, and 3 more (who could be Armia, Byron, and Shaw barring another player being added to the mix).

3D: Mete, Juulsen, and one wild card, maybe Fleury. But yeah, I'm not protecting Petry as a UFA and I'm not protecting Weber, who will be 36 heading into the season after, and if another team wants 36-year old Weber (whose salary will take a nosedive after 2021-22, which means he might opt for retirement a year later) then let them.

1G: No choice but to protect Price given he has a NMC; Lindgren and McNiven get exposed.

 

I'm frankly not too concerned about exposing any of Byron, Armia, or Shaw... you protect them if you have no one else, but if they're lost, they're lost. I would attempt to re-sign and protect Gallagher. I can't tell in two years whether Tatar will still have value to re-sign to a new deal, and I wonder if Danault will price himself out of our ability to sign him, in addition to becoming expendable if our younger centers develop. So I would partly agree with Habberwacky, that maybe you look at trading Danault and/or Tatar during the 2020 off-season or at the trade deadline in 2021 if you're not a legit Cup candidate. I also wonder if we shouldn't be looking to deal Weber at one of those times too and perhaps Petry.

So yes, that summer is going to be a huge decision point for us. We can theoretically let a lot of our big name guys walk or we can trade them before, in addition to losing someone via the ED. And everyone in the league expects a new US tv deal that summer to cause a big jump in the cap. All that to say that I'm actually not as concerned as some about signing a big name to a big deal now, be it a UFA or RFA. Say you offersheet Aho or Laine or Point or someone now and you can keep the AAV down low enough to not give up the 4 first rounders... well we have the cap space this year. And next year, we only owe a re-up to Domi, Mete, and Juulsen (the latter two of which should be small raises). Weise's money will come off the books. Mason's buyout hit will be off the books after this year too. So we probably have the room to add someone and be okay for the next two years and after that, you're going to get a lot of flexibility in 2021. Maybe it means we lose a Tatar or a Petry, but by then, the reserves from our recent drafts should be here (Romanov and Brook and Suzuki and Ylonen and so on will get a chance) and we'd have a big name free agent to add to the mix who might just be a better keep.

 

 

That's exactly my point we can and should sign someone now. I totally get not wanting to give up the future in a trade but at some point the future has to be now. We have to take a shot at a cup at some point. I am more afraid of MB deciding in 2-4 years that we need another reset. Pushing us out of Price and Weber and Petry's window than I am about the cap hits going forward.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

That's exactly my point we can and should sign someone now. I totally get not wanting to give up the future in a trade but at some point the future has to be now. We have to take a shot at a cup at some point. I am more afraid of MB deciding in 2-4 years that we need another reset. Pushing us out of Price and Weber and Petry's window than I am about the cap hits going forward.

I'd be more afraid of MB still being here for 2 to 4 years.:lol:

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I'd be more afraid of MB still being here for 2 to 4 years.:lol:

LOL I have a trade we can trade MB to the Leafs for 2 Kinot + 1st round pick

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

I'd be more afraid of MB still being here for 2 to 4 years.:lol:

If he’s still here it hopefully means we’re winning 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

LOL I have a trade we can trade MB to the Leafs for 2 Kinot + 1st round pick

The leafs don't have 2 kinots. No self respecting kinot would ever play there.  :6185:

Edited by kinot-2
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

The leafs don't have 2 kinots. No self respecting kinot would ever play there.  :6185:

LOL 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I honestly get the sense that maybe Bergevin feels Leskinen solves his LD problem.

I kind of thought that when he signed him to an ELC, I figure we roll with what we have this year plus Leskinen and Romanov comes next year and MB figures he solved all of our problems without losing anyone. My thought is if Leskinen is at least equal to Mete we will be competitive and should make the playoffs. I think MB will sign a FA not sure who or what position but likely not a LHD. I would be happy signing a game changing forward and a DECENT backup for Price IF Leskinen is indeed a quality top 2 LHD. Leskinen doesn't have to be a top pairing dman but he does need to be at least equal to Mete for this to work out.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I kind of thought that when he signed him to an ELC, I figure we roll with what we have this year plus Leskinen and Romanov comes next year and MB figures he solved all of our problems without losing anyone. My thought is if Leskinen is at least equal to Mete we will be competitive and should make the playoffs. I think MB will sign a FA not sure who or what position but likely not a LHD. I would be happy signing a game changing forward and a DECENT backup for Price IF Leskinen is indeed a quality top 2 LHD. Leskinen doesn't have to be a top pairing dman but he does need to be at least equal to Mete for this to work out.

What about Gustav Olofsson    ?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, campabee82 said:

That's exactly my point we can and should sign someone now. I totally get not wanting to give up the future in a trade but at some point the future has to be now. We have to take a shot at a cup at some point. I am more afraid of MB deciding in 2-4 years that we need another reset. Pushing us out of Price and Weber and Petry's window than I am about the cap hits going forward.

Fine but dont go after Duch who is just another top 6 guy, go after Aho! 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Isn't he injury prone? I don't know just what I have heard 

He was injured at one point but could be fully recovered for the upcoming season... NHL LD experience and size

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, habsisme said:

Fine but don't go after Duchene who is just another top 6 guy, go after Aho! 

Aho could actually be the better choice... but he is RFA and would require an offer sheet I think, which could mean giving up some draft choices. Unless he is not qualified by the Canes and becomes a UFA as a result.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

He was injured at one point but could be fully recovered for the upcoming season... NHL LD experience and size

Yeah but as I recall it's his second season ending shoulder injury in 3 years isn't it?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Aho could actually be the better choice... but he is RFA and would require an offer sheet I think, which could mean giving up some draft choices. Unless he is not qualified by the Canes and becomes a UFA as a result.

According to cap friendly he was qualified, I don't mind an offer sheet to either him, Liane or Mariner if your going to offersheet anyone as they do kind of fill a need which is a top 6 RW. A position we are not very deep at we only have Gally who is a true RW then behind him is Shaw (plays any forward position) Lehkonen, Hudon, Deslauriers and Armia none of which should be in the top 6 on the right side. Aho would be the cheaper option obviously. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

According to cap friendly he was qualified, I don't mind an offer sheet to either him, Liane or Mariner if your going to offersheet anyone as they do kind of fill a need which is a top 6 RW. A position we are not very deep at we only have Gally who is a true RW then behind him is Shaw (plays any forward position) Lehkonen, Hudon, Deslauriers and Armia none of which should be in the top 6 on the right side. Aho would be the cheaper option obviously. 

Aho is a C not a RW ... Laine/Marner are RW's and make more sense to pursue via Offer sheet.   I think there's a legit chance Marner and possibly Laine receive an OS, not necessarily by the Habs but definitely somebody may take a run at one of those two.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've seen reports that the Canadiens have spoken to multiple players including Matt Duchene, Mitch Marner, and Wayne Simmonds. 

According to NHL insider Elliotte Friedman, the Canadiens are also in discussion with free agent Corey Perry. 

Perry was bought out by the Anaheim Ducks and is possibly looking at a short term deal which would fit right into place for the Canadiens. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Duchene or Perry would give us some scoring depth and may help the PP which was a huge reason we could not get into the playoffs. For Perry I would offer nothng more than 2 years so that might scare him off, but I am not sure he will get more term than that unless a team is desperate for scoring. While Duchene would be a great addition and give us 3 very tough lines to play against it would put an end to Hudon, and Peca being in future plans and that list could get longer if one of Suzuki or Poehling do A Kotkoniemi. But we need to increase the competition for jobs on this team if we are going to get better and Bergevin is having success with that now.   

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Habberwacky said:

Duchene or Perry would give us some scoring depth and may help the PP which was a huge reason we could not get into the playoffs. For Perry I would offer nothng more than 2 years so that might scare him off, but I am not sure he will get more term than that unless a team is desperate for scoring. While Duchene would be a great addition and give us 3 very tough lines to play against it would put an end to Hudon, and Peca being in future plans and that list could get longer if one of Suzuki or Poehling do A Kotkoniemi. But we need to increase the competition for jobs on this team if we are going to get better and Bergevin is having success with that now.   

That's exactly why we need to sign either a top UFA like Duchene or a RFA to an offersheet like Liane plus sign a goalie like Ward or Kinkade. I would love a lineup like

Domi/Drouin-Duchene=Domi-Gallagher/Liane 

Tatar-Kotkaniemi-Suzuki/Gallagher 

Lehkonen-Poehling-Armia/Suzuki

Byron-Danault-Weal/Armia

Leskinen-Weber

Mete-Petry 

Kulak-Juulsen 

Reilly

Price 

Ward/Kinkade

Problem is if you sign Kinkade and Duchene or Liane you have too many forwards so you need to move at least 2 and I think both Poehling and Suzuki are going to make it tough to send them to Laval so some combination of Shaw, Drouin, Byron, Thompson, Tatar and Weal will have to be moved plus DLO, Weise, Alzner, Peca and Reilly will either have to get moved or sent to the minors.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Olofsson, if he could stay healthy, is possibly the best LD in our system right now.  Minnesota gave up on him (after picking him over Reillythe year before) because he is so injury prone.  

Im just not holding out hope though.  He reminds me of Benoit Bruinet - you know he's got skills but you cant rely on them because he's made of glass. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Olofsson, if he could stay healthy, is possibly the best LD in our system right now.  Minnesota gave up on him (after picking him over Reillythe year before) because he is so injury prone.  

Im just not holding out hope though.  He reminds me of Benoit Bruinet - you know he's got skills but you cant rely on them because he's made of glass. 

That's the way I understood it too. I think Leskinen will be our fill in to play beside Weber until Romanov comes over near the end of the year then Romanov pushes everyone back right away. I think both Leskinen and Romanov will be a force in the NHL as coming from the larger ice as a forward is difficult but as a dman it's advantageous cause now you have less space to be beaten on. Both have great speed and positioning and have already been playing against men so will be further ahead than any of our other options. Can you imagine having to start the first round of the playoffs with

Romanov-Weber 

Leskinen-Petry 

Mete-Juulsen

Especially if both are indeed NHL ready our D wouldn't have a true third pairing but a 1A and 1B and a 2 pairing 

Edited by campabee82
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cam Ward is actually an interesting name because I have heard zero about him. Nada. We know Kinkaid was here to interview but we also know MB is one of the most secretive GM's in the league... the less we hear about a guy and links to other teams, the more you wonder if there's something going on behind the scenes, as with the Habs. With Elliot gone and Talbot seemingly going to Calgary, the back-up spots are filling up. Apparently, some of the goalies are afraid they're going to be left without a seat when the music stops. Might be an opportunity to grab Mcelhinney or Ward or Mrazek or so on at a discount.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now