kinot-2

Rumours

975 posts in this topic

Yeah there's definitely a few options out there for a forward that shouldnt really cost us any players.  Gusev, an UFA like Dzingel or even putting in an offer sheet to someone like Puljujarvi (compensation for like a $4m deal is pretty tiny & Edmonton is up against the cap). So we need to trust our pro scouts to find the right fit for our needs. Kevin Labanc is another player that is under the radar but may be attainable for a $5m offer sheet.  I think thats the only type of OS that wont be matched. Any player worth $8m+ is going to get matched imho. 

The bigger hole remains that #1LD. I just cant believe MB thinks his defense is good enough the way it sits right now. 

20 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah there's definitely a few options out there for a forward that shouldnt really cost us any players.  Gusev, an UFA like Dzingel or even putting in an offer sheet to someone like Puljujarvi (compensation for like a $4m deal is pretty tiny & Edmonton is up against the cap). So we need to trust our pro scouts to find the right fit for our needs. Kevin Labanc is another player that is under the radar but may be attainable for a $5m offer sheet.  I think thats the only type of OS that wont be matched. Any player worth $8m+ is going to get matched imho. 

The bigger hole remains that #1LD. I just cant believe MB thinks his defense is good enough the way it sits right now. 

Labanc signed a few days ago for $1 million for 1 year. 

4 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

Labanc signed a few days ago for $1 million for 1 year. 

AH I missed that. What a crazy low deal! I guess he's banking on having an even better year next year so he can cash in. 

22 minutes ago, maas_art said:

AH I missed that. What a crazy low deal! I guess he's banking on having an even better year next year so he can cash in. 

Yeah. I was reading an article that was blown away with that deal. They were saying he's much better than that deal, but... I guess the guy loves San Jose and is banking on himself doing well this season. Or... Maybe he has a really, really bad agent.

Apparently Jake Gardiner is still waiting on a contract with term. 

There are purportedly a number of teams still interested in him with several of them offering contracts.  Eric Engels seems to indicate there's a good chance we have an offer to him (or at least did, who knows if MB pulled it or not now) but the big issue is term.   The reports suggest that NO ONE has offered him a deal over 2 years. He wants a multiyear deal.   I dont think the money (roughly $7) is a problem but the length is.  The back injury last year seems to have really scared off most teams.

Will be interesting to see what happens. The smart thing, if he feels he's fully healed, may be for him to take a 1 year "show me" deal if no one is willing to offer more than 2. 

7 minutes ago, maas_art said:

There are purportedly a number of teams still interested in him with several of them offering contracts.  Eric Engels seems to indicate there's a good chance we have an offer to him (or at least did, who knows if MB pulled it or not now) but the big issue is term.   The reports suggest that NO ONE has offered him a deal over 2 years. He wants a multiyear deal.   I dont think the money (roughly $7) is a problem but the length is.  The back injury last year seems to have really scared off most teams.

Will be interesting to see what happens. The smart thing, if he feels he's fully healed, may be for him to take a 1 year "show me" deal if no one is willing to offer more than 2. 

I don't know if we have the money after the 3.5 million signing (i dont even remember his name). 

Yeah i mean he's 28 i think? I would have given him term but would be more comfortable at ~6 million. 

I'm under the impression that he's waiting to see if Marner stays with leafs

8 minutes ago, habsisme said:

I don't know if we have the money after the 3.5 million signing (i dont even remember his name). 

Yeah i mean he's 28 i think? I would have given him term but would be more comfortable at ~6 million. 

I'm under the impression that he's waiting to see if Marner stays with leafs

I still believe we're making some trades.  Too many bodies right now. But yeah, unless that happens we dont have the cap space to sign Gardiner at $7m. 

I think there's a definite chance Gardiner resigns with the laffs for 1 or 2 years if he cant get that multiyear deal and Marner re-signs.

48 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah,,,,i can see term being a big sticking point with his injury background. Two years is all i would be comfortable with. Gives us time for maybe Romanov to step up. The absolute longest i would go would be 3 but i wouldn't be thrilled with it. I'd still rather pass all together. 

30 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I still believe we're making some trades.  Too many bodies right now. But yeah, unless that happens we dont have the cap space to sign Gardiner at $7m. 

I think there's a definite chance Gardiner resigns with the laffs for 1 or 2 years if he cant get that multiyear deal and Marner re-signs.

If Marner get's his 10+, i can't see how they fit Gardiner in. I think they have about 13 mill now and doubt very much Gardiner will play for 3

8 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

If Marner get's his 10+, i can't see how they fit Gardiner in. I think they have about 13 mill now and doubt very much Gardiner will play for 3

I assume they would have to trade someone at that point. Dumba has said he'd like to bring Gardiner back. But i agree, it seems unlikely unless someone compromises on the ask. 

7 hours ago, maas_art said:

I assume they would have to trade someone at that point. Dumba has said he'd like to bring Gardiner back. But i agree, it seems unlikely unless someone compromises on the ask. 

Dubas, unless you're poking fun at him. 

51 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

:rolleyes: me? 

9 hours ago, maas_art said:

2 hours ago, habs1952 said:

1 hour ago, maas_art said:

:rolleyes: me? 

:4224::4224::4224:

I say just sign Gardiner to a deal that gets him here. there is no way to know if we will ever see Romanov here we can hope but we don't know. if we had Gardiner next year we would be a solid contender as we have a well balanced team with him in the lineup. our Dcorps is as good as it gets on the right side and would be pretty solid on the left with him in it as we could slot everyone into the right chair. We have more options on the pp with him here, our forwards are quite good and very well balanced too, we may not have a super star but who do you put out to check against us? we have three lines that can score and our fourth line can also surprise on any given night. with Price and a backup who has experience and a solid d corps in front of them we would be a very solid team. if we have to give Gardiner term...so what you figure it out later that is what all the winning teams do, it is the GM's job to figure it out it is also his job to build a winning team you do that by getting the best players available. I would like it if he stopped fooling around and just signed us the offensive minded LHD he gave up in Marky and Sergachev to play with Webber and lets go win some games.

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I say just sign Gardiner to a deal that gets him here. there is no way to know if we will ever see Romanov here we can hope but we don't know. if we had Gardiner next year we would be a solid contender as we have a well balanced team with him in the lineup. our Dcorps is as good as it gets on the right side and would be pretty solid on the left with him in it as we could slot everyone into the right chair. We have more options on the pp with him here, our forwards are quite good and very well balanced too, we may not have a super star but who do you put out to check against us? we have three lines that can score and our fourth line can also surprise on any given night. with Price and a backup who has experience and a solid d corps in front of them we would be a very solid team. if we have to give Gardiner term...so what you figure it out later that is what all the winning teams do, it is the GM's job to figure it out it is also his job to build a winning team you do that by getting the best players available. I would like it if he stopped fooling around and just signed us the offensive minded LHD he gave up in Marky and Sergachev to play with Webber and lets go win some games.

The problem is term.  It sounds like he really wants 4+ years and no one is willing to give him more than 2.  According to Engels (or LeBrun, cant remember?) we have actually made  an offer to him for 2 years.

So the question is: does he budge or does someone offer him more.  If we know definitively no one will give him more than 2 then maybe you offer him a 3rd but I can see the hesitation offering 4 or 5 or more years on a deal. 

17 minutes ago, maas_art said:

The problem is term.  It sounds like he really wants 4+ years and no one is willing to give him more than 2.  According to Engels (or LeBrun, cant remember?) we have actually made  an offer to him for 2 years.

So the question is: does he budge or does someone offer him more.  If we know definitively no one will give him more than 2 then maybe you offer him a 3rd but I can see the hesitation offering 4 or 5 or more years on a deal. 

why the hesitation though? He's a young guy, I don't seem him suddenly slowing down. I'm much more worried about the cap hit itself than the length

6 minutes ago, habsisme said:

why the hesitation though? He's a young guy, I don't seem him suddenly slowing down. I'm much more worried about the cap hit itself than the length

His back.  Apparently back injuries concern teams nearly as much as knee injuries.  I think its one of those things that its really tough for a doctor to inspect and say "oh yeah he's fully healed"

1 minute ago, maas_art said:

His back.  Apparently back injuries concern teams nearly as much as knee injuries.  I think its one of those things that its really tough for a doctor to inspect and say "oh yeah he's fully healed"

ah I wasn't aware of his injury history

see but for the habs, this should be an opportunity. Offer him 5 years, if he gets injured its on IR

5 minutes ago, habsisme said:

see but for the habs, this should be an opportunity. Offer him 5 years, if he gets injured its on IR

Actually his injuries have just been bad this past year when he missed 20 games. Prior to last season, he only missed 7 games in the previous 5 years

10 minutes ago, habsisme said:

The problem with a back injury - if it is indeed ongoing - is that its usually 20 games here, 10 games there etc. So its really messes up the roster, which is fine if you're a third pairing guy but if you're expected to play top pairing minutes, thats problematic. 

2 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Actually his injuries have just been bad this past year when he missed 20 games. Prior to last season, he only missed 7 games in the previous 5 years

Yes, overall he has had a good injury history. I think its the nature of this particular back injury that is scaring some teams off - at least in terms of long term deals.  

3 hours ago, maas_art said:

i hear ya, but at some point we have to decide if we are going to go for it or not. say we give him term and it does not work out well that sucks right? but if we do nothing and it does not work out that sucks too! say we stay conservative we may have a good club that never gets a cup that kind of sucks too no? i say roll the dice see what happens. in two or three years this team is going to look pretty different anyways, Price will be pretty old as will Webber and Petry they will be moving on one would think one way or another. then our young guns should come into play but we have no solid idea how the team will be at that point. now is the time to give it a shot and figure out the rest later.

2 hours ago, habsisme said:

Yeah, and it`s a major reason i pass. I don`t consider him an elite first pairing guy to begin with, and he looked pretty brutal late season and in the playoffs. He was struggling and his back issues seemed obvious at that time. Giving this guy term could be a real ball and chain for any team that signs him,,,,especially for the rumoured money he wants.

3 minutes ago, H_T_L said:

Yeah, and it`s a major reason i pass. I don`t consider him an elite first pairing guy to begin with, and he looked pretty brutal late season and in the playoffs. He was struggling and his back issues seemed obvious at that time. Giving this guy term could be a real ball and chain for any team that signs him,,,,especially for the rumoured money he wants.

i know you don't like him but if he passes a physical he would instantly be our #2 and unless MB pulls a large hairy rabbit out of his hockey bag he is our #1 option for an improved D next year.

10 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

i know you don't like him but if he passes a physical he would instantly be our #2 and unless MB pulls a large hairy rabbit out of his hockey bag he is our #1 option for an improved D next year.

It`s not that i hate the guy,,,, i hate the fact people consider him a top pairing D-man. He pailled in comparison to Morgan R. in T.O. and i think his ceiling is second pairing at best. I could be totally wrong in how he would fit into our lineup, but for the money and term he`s rumoured to be demanding (and then there`s that wonky back that could have him in and out of the lineup),,, i`m a hard pass.

As for passing a physical,,, when dealing with back problems they can seem totally fine one week and you can feel like you need a walker the next. Totally unpredictable, and with the grind of an NHL schedule,,, very risky.

I`d be willing to throw his money demand at him on a 1 year deal. It eats up all our Cap but at least it gives us some security next year when maybe Romanov can step in and do the job. The money would have to drop drastically for every added year.

Just an added note to the above. There`s no way i consider Gardiner to be better then Petry, so i don`t see him instantly becoming our number 2 guy ,,,, unless you were talking about Weber and i don`t see that either.