kinot-2

Rumours

1,523 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Having said that, its nice to hear him (via his agent mind you) have nice things to say about wanting to play in montreal. 

It's nice but still the same old story I think. The local boys tend to miraculously be willing to come home and play another couple of years in Montreal before retirement, yet they prefer to spend their prime years elsewhere. It would be nice for a change if one of those guys came out saying that while they're actually valuable assets and could contribute to building a strong hometown team.

20 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Yeah Pominville has been a solid, reliable player for ages  - and he'll still probably put up 30+ points next year at age 36, but I just think there's too much of a log-jam on our roster for wingers right now. Sure, many are unproven but we're not talking about a player who will score 60+ points. We're not talking about a player who could help us out for a few years. We're talking about a band-aid, one year, lower end option & I just dont see why we would even consider signing him. 

Gallagher, Armia, Lehkonen, Byron, Weal - and Suzuki (if we indeed consider him there) even guys like Cousins and Peca have played RW at times.  I dont think Pominville, at this stage of his career, is an upgrade on any of them, so its a pass for him.

Having said that, its nice to hear him (via his agent mind you) have nice things to say about wanting to play in montreal. 

Also Hudon, Evans, McCarron and Barber are options in case of callups so we have a plethora of players that can play RW

34 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Also Hudon, Evans, McCarron and Barber are options in case of callups so we have a plethora of players that can play RW

Agree.   if you could nab a true top 6 RW then fine you maybe sign that guy but honestly Id rather try the 4 guys you've mentioned there instead of JP - at least one of them could surprise & possibly turn into a decent player. 

15 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Agree.   if you could nab a true top 6 RW then fine you maybe sign that guy but honestly Id rather try the 4 guys you've mentioned there instead of JP - at least one of them could surprise & possibly turn into a decent player. 

Totally agree and I wouldn't be surprised if Hudon enters camp with a huge chip on his shoulder and really comes out with something to prove. If that's the case I like a third line of 

Lehkonen-Danault-Hudon 

As they played well together in the past even if Danault remains on the top line I would consider keeping Lehkonen and Hudon on a line together

32 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Totally agree and I wouldn't be surprised if Hudon enters camp with a huge chip on his shoulder and really comes out with something to prove. If that's the case I like a third line of 

Lehkonen-Danault-Hudon 

As they played well together in the past even if Danault remains on the top line I would consider keeping Lehkonen and Hudon on a line together

I personally think Hudon can be a top 9 winger.  Im just not sure if Julien will give him a chance.

I think Danault stays on that top line unless there's a trade.  I think Julien believes he's on his way to being his next Bergeron (and there was an interesting article comparing the 2 in this stage of their respective careers) 

23 hours ago, maas_art said:

I personally think Hudon can be a top 9 winger.  Im just not sure if Julien will give him a chance.

I think Danault stays on that top line unless there's a trade.  I think Julien believes he's on his way to being his next Bergeron (and there was an interesting article comparing the 2 in this stage of their respective careers) 

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/2019/7/19/20698234/canadiens-have-own-patrice-bergeron-in-phillip-danault-selke-trophy-two-way-centre-bruins-top-line

For anyone who hasn't read it.

29 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I thought this one was dead but found this article posted an hour ago.

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2019/08/08/nhl-rumours-montreal-canadiens-jake-gardiner-boston-bruins-and-more/

Knowing how Bergevin works, I suspect that he put a "take it or leave it" deal in front of Gardiner right back on July 1.   As each day goes by and Gardiner remains unsigned, i could see that deal getting more and more appealing. 

Like many others, Im fine with signing Jake Gardiner if the details are right. Id give him 1 or 2 years but beyond that he could be a liability with better, cheaper options coming through our pipe. 

I still think its quite unlikely he signs with us but there's certainly a chance. 

37 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Knowing how Bergevin works, I suspect that he put a "take it or leave it" deal in front of Gardiner right back on July 1.   As each day goes by and Gardiner remains unsigned, i could see that deal getting more and more appealing. 

Like many others, Im fine with signing Jake Gardiner if the details are right. Id give him 1 or 2 years but beyond that he could be a liability with better, cheaper options coming through our pipe. 

I still think its quite unlikely he signs with us but there's certainly a chance. 

Yeah only reason I even bothered to post the link is cause it was Mike Johnson from Sportsnet who seems to think Gardiner will sign with the Habs in the next couple of days.

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

Yeah only reason I even bothered to post the link is cause it was Mike Johnson from Sportsnet who seems to think Gardiner will sign with the Habs in the next couple of days.

I  would be shocked if Gardiner actually signs in MTL.

2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

Yeah, Johnson has been pushing for this for a while.  He sees it as a "no brainer" for his old team:  We need a puck moving LHD and gardiner was - and still is - the best available without having to give up any assets. 

The problem (and the reason he's not signed, I assume) is most likely term.   Its all good and fine to want him for 1-2 years but if he wants 7 years then what? Do you cave? knowing that guys like Romanov, Struble, Norlinder and Harris are all coming down the pipeline & will need spots (along with mete & co) in the very near future?

6 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

Id put the chance of it happening at 5-10% so yeah, im definitely not expecting it but the fit is still there if the term ends up being something we can live with. 

if we had Gardiner we would pretty much be a contender not a top 3 contender but a 5-10 contender. this is not because he is so great but it is a hole we have had since Marky left and it would complete out team. i think with him it would balance our D and combine that with a very well balanced if not super star studded bunch of forwards and a great goalie and we would be pretty good. without him or someone like him it is like we have a flat spot and our whole left D will be out of position yet again.

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

if we had Gardiner we would pretty much be a contender not a top 3 contender but a 5-10 contender. this is not because he is so great but it is a hole we have had since Marky left and it would complete out team. i think with him it would balance our D and combine that with a very well balanced if not super star studded bunch of forwards and a great goalie and we would be pretty good. without him or someone like him it is like we have a flat spot and our whole left D will be out of position yet again.

I wouldn't mind if MB offered JG something like 5-5.5 for 1-2 years like everyone else though I think the chances of that happening are slim to none

2 hours ago, ramcharger440 said:

I agree that adding him (especially in this case because we wouldnt have to lose anyone else in a trade) would be a good move for the short term. The real worry is long-term where I think signing him would possibly prevent better players from moving up in the ranks.

The way I see it, MB has a few options:

1) Trade for a true top pairing LHD (Sanheim, Ghost, Klefbom etc)  which is probably the best thing for our LHD spot but would mean weakening us elsewhere. 
2) Sign Gardiner.  There's no other UFA even close to him, so its him or nothing
3) Keep the status quo.   This seems like it might be the way MB goes but I certainly hope not.

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

I agree that adding him (especially in this case because we wouldnt have to lose anyone else in a trade) would be a good move for the short term. The real worry is long-term where I think signing him would possibly prevent better players from moving up in the ranks.

The way I see it, MB has a few options:

1) Trade for a true top pairing LHD (Sanheim, Ghost, Klefbom etc)  which is probably the best thing for our LHD spot but would mean weakening us elsewhere. 
2) Sign Gardiner.  There's no other UFA even close to him, so its him or nothing
3) Keep the status quo.   This seems like it might be the way MB goes but I certainly hope not.

at some point we are going to have to get real and sign the players we need for the short term to get the job done. i agree we have to be able to be flexible to allow young players who are developing to move up but they have to earn it too, we can't just put them there and hope they pan out or if we do we can't complain when it takes time. in our case we don't have a ton of time as we have two of our best Dmen and out goalie who are at the end of the prime years they have in them so it is go time for this group. after that you trade away the contracts you don't want and replace them with more kids at a much lower price, it seems that is what the best teams in the league are doing. in Gardiner we don't give up a player other than perhaps a salary dump we get better and we may have a shot, without him or some player like him we are just treading water yet again 

7 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

I'd be disgusted.

17 minutes ago, habs1952 said:

I'd be disgusted.

Short of a bargain bin 1 year deal,,,,,, me too.

3 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I could live with 2.   anything more than 2 and im not interested unless its way below what we think he'll sign for (ie, id take him at 4 years for $4m per)

8 hours ago, habs1952 said:

I'd be disgusted.

8 hours ago, H_T_L said:

I will say this I don't like Gardiner either but there is no denying he would make the left side better and may even push us over the top just because he fills our BIGGEST need. So of it means we have to take Gardiner for a shot at the cup (and embarrass the Leafs by using a guy they tossed aside to do it) I am all for it

if not Gardiner then who? if we don't fill that slot we are yet again wasting time and years from our best players! get it done and live with it do what you have to do on the other end to get out of it but do something! or don't expect much in terms of results the kids are not there yet and if we make a trade and give up good assets to get a good D man are we any further ahead?

1 hour ago, ramcharger440 said:

if not Gardiner then who? if we don't fill that slot we are yet again wasting time and years from our best players! get it done and live with it do what you have to do on the other end to get out of it but do something! or don't expect much in terms of results the kids are not there yet and if we make a trade and give up good assets to get a good D man are we any further ahead?

If not Gardiner it has to be a trade imho. 

"Hoping" that leskinen or Mete or Chiarot or whomever will exceed expectations is not the way to enter yet another season. 

2 hours ago, maas_art said:

If not Gardiner it has to be a trade imho. 

"Hoping" that leskinen or Mete or Chiarot or whomever will exceed expectations is not the way to enter yet another season. 

We've seen enough of Mete to know what we're getting ... he's middle pairing Dman ... he is not going to drive offence etc.

20 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

We've seen enough of Mete to know what we're getting ... he's middle pairing Dman ... he is not going to drive offence etc.

Certainly have to disagree with this. I agree he is not top pairing, YET. And was pushed there because we need help on the left side. I still think Mete will be a very good player for us. 

You have to remember he is only 21 years old and entering in only his 3rd season. Also deeman in general take longer to develop at the NHL level.

He does drive the offence already. He leads rushes, he jumps in the offensive play quickly, he is a tremendous skater and at top speed in one or two strides.

I know his points total have not shown that yet.  But i don't always think that is a measurement of where a young player is at in his development. 

If after 4 or 5 seasons if he is not scoring or not putting up 30 or 40 points then I would agree. But i still see to many good things in his game i actually could see him getting 25 plus points this season. NOPE let me rephrase that, I expect him to get 25 plus points this season

oops hit submit and forgot about my post

On the left side we have Mete, Kulak, Reilly and at some point in future Romanov.   I think Reilly is on the bubble, Romanov is a question mark who may never come to NA

So you got Mete and Kulak who are both middle/bottom pairing guys ... I think people are over valuing Mete and think he may be a top/middle pairing player .. I just don't see him that way.  So if Romanov peeks out at a middle pairing guy as well ... that still leaves us with three guys that can play bottom  #2 and #3 LD and nobody for the top pair.

There's a reason Mete was a 4th round pick and not a 1st round one ... I don't see him developing into much more than your #3 defenceman ... that's his ceiling.   He will never be a top pairing guy.

Edited by HabsAlways