kinot-2

Rumours

1,671 posts in this topic

If your going to give an offer sheet, you better be ready to give up 4 first rounders if not everything else Winnipeg will match.  This is why there is very little offer sheets these days. 

31 minutes ago, xxdocxx said:

If your going to give an offer sheet, you better be ready to give up 4 first rounders if not everything else Winnipeg will match.  This is why there is very little offer sheets these days. 

I would only give up 4 1sts. for a young generational talent, and offer long term, but, you have to have the pieces surrounding him to take the team to the 3rd round. 

3 hours ago, jennifer_rocket said:

I'm pretty sure if you offer Laine an offer sheet of $9-10 million the compensation is four first round draft choices. For purposes of an offer sheet calculation, the AAV is the total value of the contract divided by five... So, if you offered $9 million for seven years, you'd still have to sacrifice four first rounders because it would be (9 million x 7 years)/5 years.

EDIT: I just don't really feel comfortable signing Laine to an offer sheet. He's coming off a pretty poor year, production wise. I'm not prepared to sacrifice the four first rounders that would likely be required to sign him to an offer sheet.

3 hours ago, habsisme said:

yes, any offer sheet that isn't at the highest level would have to be for 5 years. I can't foresee any other scenario

There is nothing that says you have to give him 7 years. You could give him the 5 year deal or you could theoretically give him 1 year with the expectation/promise of re-signing him to an 8-year deal the year after, although there's some risk in doing that. That said, the risk is likely minimal because if he has a bad year, his value is shot and if he has a great year and gets offer-sheeted again by someone else next year, it's likely for more than the 10M you give him this season, meaning you'd lose two 1st's, a 2nd, and a 3rd but could re-coup 4 1st's if he blows the bank the year after. For Laine, it's a small risk of injury/bad season next year, but if he bets on himself, he could basically earn a 9-year pact signing a one-year deal as an RFA, and the benefits of doing a one-year then a second contract is that he then secures the 8-year deal next in addition to being able to break the bank on the 2nd deal without costing his new team four 1st rounders... I don't know if the CBA protects against that type of RFA deal, but it's a creative way of getting Laine here long-term AND pushing the Jets against the cap without having to pay out the 4 first-rounders.

13 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

There is nothing that says you have to give him 7 years. You could give him the 5 year deal or you could theoretically give him 1 year with the expectation/promise of re-signing him to an 8-year deal the year after, although there's some risk in doing that. That said, the risk is likely minimal because if he has a bad year, his value is shot and if he has a great year and gets offer-sheeted again by someone else next year, it's likely for more than the 10M you give him this season, meaning you'd lose two 1st's, a 2nd, and a 3rd but could re-coup 4 1st's if he blows the bank the year after. For Laine, it's a small risk of injury/bad season next year, but if he bets on himself, he could basically earn a 9-year pact signing a one-year deal as an RFA, and the benefits of doing a one-year then a second contract is that he then secures the 8-year deal next in addition to being able to break the bank on the 2nd deal without costing his new team four 1st rounders... I don't know if the CBA protects against that type of RFA deal, but it's a creative way of getting Laine here long-term AND pushing the Jets against the cap without having to pay out the 4 first-rounders.

the thing is I don't think players want to do that anymore (sign 8 year deals). They want to hi UFA as early as possible. I think 5 years is what many players will be asking for (actually four but the teams are going to want to buy at least one year of UFA). Play 5 years on at top money and THEN sign your 8 your deal when you're in your late 20's

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/brennan-this-time-karlsson-might-be-more-inclined-to-consider-senators-offer

While the two-time Norris Trophy winner is expected to be the most coveted free agent available when the market opens on July 1, a well-connected source says that he hopes to receive competitive offers from two teams in particular — the Senators and the Montreal Canadiens.

While Karlsson would be a great assett ...  he's a RD and not sure how that would work with Weber/Petry/Juulsen/Folin already on the right side.

43 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

https://ottawasun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/ottawa-senators/brennan-this-time-karlsson-might-be-more-inclined-to-consider-senators-offer

While the two-time Norris Trophy winner is expected to be the most coveted free agent available when the market opens on July 1, a well-connected source says that he hopes to receive competitive offers from two teams in particular — the Senators and the Montreal Canadiens.

While Karlsson would be a great assett ...  he's a RD and not sure how that would work with Weber/Petry/Juulsen/Folin already on the right side.

Is the Ottawa Sun reputable? It sure would be something else if he was actually considering Montreal as a destination.

Just so we're clear, we're all expecting Karlsson to get AT LEAST what Doughty got right? AAV of $11 million?

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

It could mean that some right defense prospects could be traded for a top-two LD

Karlsson would be fun but there's no way we should be spending ~25M on three RHDs. If he comes here, it'll surely be the end of Petry, who's on a very reasonable contract for what he brings. I don't think the difference between Petry and Karlsson is worth +5M extra against the Cap. Weber won't be traded, Bergevin won't do it IMO.

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Is the Ottawa Sun reputable? It sure would be something else if he was actually considering Montreal as a destination.

Don Brennan is generally not too bad, so there's probably some validity to it as a rumor.

The interesting thing to me, if its true, is that EK clearly knows Montreal has Weber and Petry already. So whats the play here. Does he think we would trade one of them to make room for him? Or does he go to MB and say "look, I can play LD."  Seems doubtful. It would be like if Connor McDavid suddenly was UFA and said he wanted to play for Pittsburg. 

1 hour ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Just so we're clear, we're all expecting Karlsson to get AT LEAST what Doughty got right? AAV of $11 million?

Tough to say. Probably in that range but he's also coming off a season with some question marks.  You have to think he's looking for at least $10m   He wont get close to that in Ottawa though.  Toronto & Buffalo are apparently out, so Montreal becomes the next closest city.  Does he really want to be that close to home that he's willing to take less per year?  Dunno. 

28 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

It could mean that some right defense prospects could be traded for a top-two LD

True.  But I think if we were to actually sign Karlsson, Petry would be the guy on the move.   Weber would make more sense but I dont see MB moving him, like ever.  

5 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Karlsson would be fun but there's no way we should be spending ~25M on three RHDs. If he comes here, it'll surely be the end of Petry, who's on a very reasonable contract for what he brings. I don't think the difference between Petry and Karlsson is worth +5M extra against the Cap. Weber won't be traded, Bergevin won't do it IMO.

Karlsson would be fun here, but yeah... I can't imagine us having the highest paid goaltender in the world and then having another $25 million splashed on our RD. Surely, someone would have to go. Likely Petry... Although he does have a modified no-trade and no-movement clause.

4 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

Karlsson would be fun here, but yeah... I can't imagine us having the highest paid goaltender in the world and then having another $25 million splashed on our RD. Surely, someone would have to go. Likely Petry... Although he does have a modified no-trade and no-movement clause.

Exactly, that's like close to half the Cap for three RHDs and a goalie while still having a hole on the left side. I just don't think it makes sense for us, unless you trade Petry for a LHD and then sign Karlsson to replace him.

6 minutes ago, ChiLla said:

Exactly, that's like close to half the Cap for three RHDs and a goalie while still having a hole on the left side. I just don't think it makes sense for us, unless you trade Petry for a LHD and then sign Karlsson to replace him.

But why not Weber? There will definitely be a taker out there IMO

Just now, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Because I don't think Bergevin will trade Weber, even though it's what we probably should do.

Im just not willing to pay him 11 million a year

58 minutes ago, habsisme said:

Im just not willing to pay him 11 million a year

Are we sure it will have to be 11 million? Term and the fact he may want to return to the region near Ottawa because of his wife could mean actually less if money is not the main issue.

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

Because I don't think Bergevin will trade Weber, even though it's what we probably should do.

If he could land a replacement with a younger player like Eric Karlsson, Bergevin might think seriously about dealing Weber.

1 hour ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Because that would be the smart thing to do!

1 hour ago, ChiLla said:

I disagree IF EK signed here I think MB would move Weber for a LD probably to somewhere like Philly, they are not an immediate contender or in our division plus have the cap space to take his contract.

7 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

If he could land a replacement with a younger player like Eric Karlsson, Bergevin might think seriously about dealing Weber.

MB has actually been quite reasonable over the last year with putting team dynamics first, so I think you may be right he may indeed move Weber over Petry but only time will tell IF we sign EK

Just a rehash, but:

Friedman reports in his latest 31 Thoughts podcast that the two teams most likely to land Duchene's services are the Nashville Predators and the Montreal Canadiens.

The Predators have been linked to Matt Duchene for several months, but it's really interesting to see that one of the NHL's most influential insiders sees the Canadiens as the second most likely destination for the star center.

59 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

Are we sure it will have to be 11 million? Term and the fact he may want to return to the region near Ottawa because of his wife could mean actually less if money is not the main issue.

I mean, is Karlsson really going to take much less than Doughty got? I'm doubtful. I think a lot of people saw the Doughty deal as essentially setting the market for Karlsson. Maybe someone can get him for $10 million x 7 years. But $9 million? With our taxes? I'm doubtful.

14 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Just a rehash, but:

Friedman reports in his latest 31 Thoughts podcast that the two teams most likely to land Duchene's services are the Nashville Predators and the Montreal Canadiens.

The Predators have been linked to Matt Duchene for several months, but it's really interesting to see that one of the NHL's most influential insiders sees the Canadiens as the second most likely destination for the star center.

Good God I hope we don't overpay and somehow land Duchene.

2 hours ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

True. I mean, arguably it should be Weber. But... I'm skeptical about Bergevin trading Weber away.

56 minutes ago, Habs_Hockey_Nutz said:

45 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

I disagree IF EK signed here I think MB would move Weber for a LD probably to somewhere like Philly, they are not an immediate contender or in our division plus have the cap space to take his contract.

MB has actually been quite reasonable over the last year with putting team dynamics first, so I think you may be right he may indeed move Weber over Petry but only time will tell IF we sign EK

Like ChiLla, I personally dont see MB trading Weber - even if it means making room for Karlsson.  I think MB views Weber as a "special" player - someone who is basically irreplaceable because of his leadership.  He has even made it seem that he knows we overpaid for him, because thats what was needed to get this very unique player on our roster.  
I dont think we're actually going to find out (we might kick the tires on Karlsson but I honestly dont see us making any kind of serious off on him) but if we did, I really would be shocked beyond believe to see Weber moved.   He was one of only a handful of players that MB has categories as "untouchable" even at a time that it made sense to move him. 

Another thing to consider. If you sign Karlsson, you're likely getting him for seven years. So, he'll be 35 years old when the contract expires. That sounds old, but... Weber will be 40 when his contract finishes up in seven seasons. Not that I expect him to play out the duration of that contract. Man, it would be something else if we could sign Karlsson and then trade Weber.