kinot-2

Rumours

2,156 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

I think you always want to look at upgrading. That said, I don't think it makes much sense to add Pietrangelo to Weber and Petry on the right side. It means you're spending a lot of money on one position and can't address other areas of need. Notwithstanding the fact Pietrangelo is almost certainly going to Vegas, though, he would have been a smart add by Bergevin because he's a slightly younger replacement for Weber and it would permit you to deal Weber for help at LHD or wing, for example. If you could sign Pietrangelo for free (ie not needing to give away assets to do it) and then turn around and trade Weber for someone like Laine or Nylander or Byram or so on, you're a better team down the line.

Exactly! You're understanding my full train of thought.  If we got Pieterangelo for just the contract (without giving up players) we can flip Weber, like you said, BigTed3. Now you have a younger #1 RD who is a character guy and you move an asset to get an asset. I'm not saying go after Pieterangelo, but go after Quality.  I like the way you think, BigTed3.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

If I'm throwing a UFA contract at someone...It would be: Evgeni Dadonov.

If he was our final pickup, I wouldn't be terribly upset, provided that the contract is reasonable. May have to make a further move to fit him in under the cap.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, electron58 said:

If he was our final pickup, I wouldn't be terribly upset, provided that the contract is reasonable. May have to make a further move to fit him in under the cap.

I'd take either him or Hoffman ...both can score ...cap clearing would be a must for sure 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arpem-can said:

I'd take either him or Hoffman ...both can score ...cap clearing would be a must for sure 

I concur.  Hoffman would be a great add.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, electron58 said:

I'm thinking that we're set @ D.  Unless it is a #1 LD then let's concentrate on a sniper. I don't think we've found one yet.

 

6 hours ago, Windoe said:

I hope we don't sign any more D, 

Agree. Unless we can sign a LD as good as (or better) than Petry & Weber Im really not interested.  For the near future we're set on RD with Weber, Petry, Juulsen, Fleury, Brook etc.

At LD we have lots of players - Romanov, Chairot, Edmundson, Kulak, Mete, Ouellet - and maybe Romanov can be that guy but Im not sure yet.  Between those guys we are more than set for #2 and #3 pairings.  The real question is that #1 slot. Unless we can acquire a guy who is the undisputed best LD on this roster, there's just no point imho. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question...

I’ve heard some rumblings that there is some frustration brewing in Chicago, particularly amongst their aging core regarding the recent moves made and the general direction the team seems to be headed in. 
Question #1 is, would Keith be an obvious upgrade on Chiarot? This isn’t the first time I’ve tossed his name around in here, it’s no secret that I’m a big fan of his career. Statistically, he doesn’t appear to be the beast he once was, but the little bit that I did get to see him play this year I thought he still looked great, no signs of slowing down. Are there other reasons for his decline in points?

Question #2 is, what would it take to get him? Assuming he’s not thrilled about finishing his career in the early stages of a rebuild and possibly looking for a way out, on top of the fact that he is 37 with a $5.5 (I think) cap hit, how much could the Hawks realistically expect in a return? What could we even offer that would appeal to them, as well as clear up the needed space to fit him in?

Personally I think the idea has some appeal to it. We’ve already Toffoli (1 cup) and Edmonson (1 cup), adding Keith (3 cups and a Conn Smythe) would definitely be a boost to moral. But if he in fact is an improvement over Chiarot (who is technically our #1 LD atm), which I think he might be... well, I’m already excited for next season, but adding Keith might just put me over the top. Thoughts?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Question...

I’ve heard some rumblings that there is some frustration brewing in Chicago, particularly amongst their aging core regarding the recent moves made and the general direction the team seems to be headed in. 
Question #1 is, would Keith be an obvious upgrade on Chiarot? This isn’t the first time I’ve tossed his name around in here, it’s no secret that I’m a big fan of his career. Statistically, he doesn’t appear to be the beast he once was, but the little bit that I did get to see him play this year I thought he still looked great, no signs of slowing down. Are there other reasons for his decline in points?

Question #2 is, what would it take to get him? Assuming he’s not thrilled about finishing his career in the early stages of a rebuild and possibly looking for a way out, on top of the fact that he is 37 with a $5.5 (I think) cap hit, how much could the Hawks realistically expect in a return? What could we even offer that would appeal to them, as well as clear up the needed space to fit him in?

Personally I think the idea has some appeal to it. We’ve already Toffoli (1 cup) and Edmonson (1 cup), adding Keith (3 cups and a Conn Smythe) would definitely be a boost to moral. But if he in fact is an improvement over Chiarot (who is technically our #1 LD atm), which I think he might be... well, I’m already excited for next season, but adding Keith might just put me over the top. Thoughts?

I think if there was a way to pair Keith with Weber and then make sure they stay at around 20 minutes a game, you could really use them hard in the playoffs.  I think they'd be a very special pairing (they were excellent representing Canada). He has 2 years left after the upcoming season at around $5.5m.  Thats not bad value for what he still brings.  

All of this would require Petry & someone (Romanov?) to take on a bigger role though. I think if you played Keith-Weber for 24+ minutes a night you would find they would be far less effective as the season went on.

As for cost... Chicago may not want to part with him. I think you'd have to give up assets.  Maybe not a lot. Maybe Mete + 2nd  but I dont think you'd get him for nothing. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think if there was a way to pair Keith with Weber and then make sure they stay at around 20 minutes a game, you could really use them hard in the playoffs.  I think they'd be a very special pairing (they were excellent representing Canada). He has 2 years left after the upcoming season at around $5.5m.  Thats not bad value for what he still brings.  

All of this would require Petry & someone (Romanov?) to take on a bigger role though. I think if you played Keith-Weber for 24+ minutes a night you would find they would be far less effective as the season went on.

As for cost... Chicago may not want to part with him. I think you'd have to give up assets.  Maybe not a lot. Maybe Mete + 2nd  but I dont think you'd get him for nothing. 

Agreed on keeping their minutes down around 20. And obviously I agree on how awesome a Keith/Weber pair could be.

Also agree that Hawks wouldn’t “want” to part with him, but if the climate there is as bad as it sounds, Keith might not be to far off from demanding to be moved. But regardless, I think I could go along with trading Mete and a 2nd. But that would barely get us out of our current cap predicament, let alone make room for Keith. Lol think Hawks have any interest in Chiarot and Byron?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Agreed on keeping their minutes down around 20. And obviously I agree on how awesome a Keith/Weber pair could be.

Also agree that Hawks wouldn’t “want” to part with him, but if the climate there is as bad as it sounds, Keith might not be to far off from demanding to be moved. But regardless, I think I could go along with trading Mete and a 2nd. But that would barely get us out of our current cap predicament, let alone make room for Keith. Lol think Hawks have any interest in Chiarot and Byron?

Byron no. I honestly think that right now that an unmovable contract.  Maybe if he scored 20 goals again but you're asking him to do so from the 4th line now.. seems unlikely. 

They might have interest in Chiarot but honestly i think they'd want someone younger if they are rebuilding.  Maybe Drouin? maybe they'd want Danault back?   But then were' also weakening our forward depth. 
 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Byron no. I honestly think that right now that an unmovable contract.  Maybe if he scored 20 goals again but you're asking him to do so from the 4th line now.. seems unlikely. 

They might have interest in Chiarot but honestly i think they'd want someone younger if they are rebuilding.  Maybe Drouin? maybe they'd want Danault back?   But then were' also weakening our forward depth. 
 

Shame, it’s a nice dream though :P

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, MALMACIAN_CRUNCH said:

Shame, it’s a nice dream though :P

There's a few of those for sure - and some that i think would be attainable - although im pretty sure MB thinks his defense is set. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canada Division: Not sure if this has been mentioned on another thread or not, but there is a rumour that next season may see an all Canadian Division.  Meaning Montreal would be in the same division as Vancouver, Calgary, etc. Makes some sense given the 14 day travel restrictions.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Windoe said:

Canada Division: Not sure if this has been mentioned on another thread or not, but there is a rumour that next season may see an all Canadian Division.  Meaning Montreal would be in the same division as Vancouver, Calgary, etc. Makes some sense given the 14 day travel restrictions.

It has been mentioned but not really discussed.   It does make sense & is probably the most logical thing if they dont get things under control down south. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, maas_art said:

It has been mentioned but not really discussed.   It does make sense & is probably the most logical thing if they dont get things under control down south. 

That's not happening any time soon

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Regis22 said:

That's not happening any time soon

Truth. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/14/2020 at 6:17 PM, maas_art said:

Byron no. I honestly think that right now that an unmovable contract.  Maybe if he scored 20 goals again but you're asking him to do so from the 4th line now.. seems unlikely. 

They might have interest in Chiarot but honestly i think they'd want someone younger if they are rebuilding.  Maybe Drouin? maybe they'd want Danault back?   But then were' also weakening our forward depth. 
 

I think you could make a deal surrounding Lehkonen + Chiarot + 2nd for say Kieth + Ragula or similar prospect. We lose Lehkonen but Yelonen looks ready and is a similar player for less money.

Edited by campabee82
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, campabee82 said:

I think you could make a deal surrounding Lehkonen + Chiarot + 2nd for say Kieth + Ragula or similar prospect. We lose Lehkonen but Yelonen looks ready and is a similar player for less money.

I don't want any part of a 37 year old Keith. We need to strive to become younger. Maybe he fits into the Laffs plans. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, habs1952 said:

I don't want any part of a 37 year old Keith. We need to strive to become younger. Maybe he fits into the Laffs plans. 

Along with Marleau?

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

Along with Marleau?

 

You must be suffering from the Weaver, Gill, Gomez, Kaberle, Ott not to have signed the Bourque, Bouillion, Briere  and Semin syndrome. If only we could Niemi the Streit all these 30 plus signings ended up on. Most were living over the hill but a few had some nostalgia. So your saying you don't want Marleau to break Howe's GP record as a Hab. I'm good with that given the history of some of the other signings and the fact we finally appear to have put together a real hockey team.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Habberwacky said:

You must be suffering from the Weaver, Gill, Gomez, Kaberle, Ott not to have signed the Bourque, Bouillion, Briere  and Semin syndrome. If only we could Niemi the Streit all these 30 plus signings ended up on. Most were living over the hill but a few had some nostalgia. So your saying you don't want Marleau to break Howe's GP record as a Hab. I'm good with that given the history of some of the other signings and the fact we finally appear to have put together a real hockey team.

I don't want anyone's older cast-offs, regardless of the reasons. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

I don't want anyone's older cast-offs, regardless of the reasons. 

That is usually true except in this case Keith would be better than anything we already have on the LD even at 37.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

That is usually true except in this case Keith would be better than anything we already have on the LD even at 37.

Being that my boss has season tickets and living in Western Michigan I've seen a lot of Hawks games. Keith can still skate and he isn't the weak spot on the Hawks. I don't think the Hawks would trade him easily though because of that. I also don't think that our defense is going to be that bad. Most analyst are pretty high on Romanov , but as usual Habs fans always seem to want others prospects instead of their own? Like Byram who doesn't even make his own teams line up? Most of the analyst think Edmondson is going to do better than most are thinking. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CaptWelly said:

as usual Habs fans always seem to want others prospects instead of their own? Like Byram who doesn't even make his own teams line up? Most of the analyst think Edmondson is going to do better than most are thinking. 

A couple of things:

1) Will Byram work out ? Who knows. But he is a top ranked prospect.  You dont get guys like that AFTER they prove themselves. Is it a risk? absolutely, but its the only way you're getting a guy like that unless you drafted him yourself.  Him not cracking the lineup has a lot more to do with their exceptional defense (another reason why they might consider trading him) than his quality.  Colorado is also a team that is known for not rushing prospects. 

2) I am willing to give Edmundson a chance for sure. He was better in ST Louis than in Carolina & our team makeup and system is much more similar to the blues than the canes so I think he'll be fine.   I just dont think he or Chairot are top pairing guys.  If Romanov IS that guy, we're aok but thats a lot to throw at a young player. 

3) while I think that most teams' scouting and development staff are among the best in the business (despite our complaining), I also think that a lot of analysts have jobs because they are charismatic and good on tv. I think in many cases, thoughtful and educated fans are every bit as competent at predicting success as kelly hrudey, pierre mcguire, mike milbury or andy brickley for example. :)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, maas_art said:

I think in many cases, thoughtful and educated fans are every bit as competent at predicting success as kelly hrudey, pierre mcguire, mike milbury or andy brickley for example. :)

  agree with this ...I question McGuire's know -it -all information . He seems to be the go-to-guy on radio shows because he can go on forever about players ( especially in the USDL and College ranks ) and have a story about each one of them and their parents . Don't always agree with his over the top team evaluations  . That being said the others you mentioned  are terrible . However , Pierre LeBrun gets a nod as does Elliotte Friedman for me . Darren Dreger comes off as an ambulance chasing lawyer and doesn't rely on stats of players that much ...always looking for the "scoop" on draft or free agency day to look good ...drives me nuts . Craig Button seems to have done his homework as much as he goes to the hair salon but he at least seems to know a fair amount  . McKenzie was good  but now part-time/retired  ...always appeared to be matter- of -fact but detailed  . ....but yeah I agree there are plenty of knowledgeable fans that could give the same information .

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.