The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Since I don't see the rumours thread here anymore, I thought I would start this again, because there will be some. 

Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet mentioned some extremely interesting information over the last few days as the insider believes Bergevin will try to land Duchene through free agency this summer. 

Friedman said the Canadiens were in the running for Duchene at the deadline and believes Montreal will be in the running for Duchene on July 1st.

Matt Duchene had a great season with 70 points in 73 games and a was a key part of Columbus' great run against the Tampa Bay Lightning in the first round.

The 28-year-old forward will cash in big time on a long term deal and Bergevin has plenty of salary cap room to play with. 

• 1 month later...
47 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Ok so if we could sign Karlsson at 9-10 Mil then trade Weber and Alzner to Philly for Ghost + Konecny + 11 OVA + a late round pick say 4th or 5th round I think Philly might take that deal even with having to take Alzner maybe you throw in a B level prospect as well or the 15 OVA (prefer to keep that though) 

There’s little if any chance MTL gets that much for Weber and a guy who found himself in Laval for Ghost, Konecny and 11.  Alzner lost his spot to Brett Kulak.  Could Kulak be the next Petry?  Time will tell.  Byron for Leddy is the deal I make.

1 minute ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

There’s little if any chance MTL gets that much for Weber and a guy who found himself in Laval for Ghost, Konecny and 11.  Alzner lost his spot to Brett Kulak.  Could Kulak be the next Petry?  Time will tell.  Byron for Leddy is the deal I make.

If Philly is looking to bolster their lineup  and their Dvwith toughness they would also they probably feel to getting Weber is worth Ghost who they don't value and probably Konecny so if you have to send back a B level prospect to get the 11th pick they would probably see that as fair value for Weber

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

If Philly is looking to bolster their lineup  and their Dvwith toughness they would also they probably feel to getting Weber is worth Ghost who they don't value and probably Konecny so if you have to send back a B level prospect to get the 11th pick they would probably see that as fair value for Weber

If you want Konecny, Ghost and 11, the ask is Shaw and Drouin.  That’s the roster bolster Chuck Fletcher is looking to make.

Apparently Florida buying out his contract doesn't make a ton of sense because they'd be out 3.2M against the cap next year for nothing. But I wonder if we couldn't structure a deal around dumping a guy like Dale Weise... something like Reimer and Florida eats half his contract in exchange for Dale Weise and a 6th round pick, or something like that.

4 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

3 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

If you want Konecny, Ghost and 11, the ask is Shaw and Drouin.  That’s the roster bolster Chuck Fletcher is looking to make.

Yeah, i think Weber could fetch a decent return (Alzner is negative value of course) but I dont see Philly paying anywhere near that much.  They seem to believe they're solid on D - so they are much more likely to want a forward in return for Ghost. 

I think if MB was to move Weber (and the chances of that, imho are like 0.2%) then the best choice is a western conference team like Edmonton. I really think its unlikely we move any of our top 6 dmen to be honest. I think MB wants to add but doesnt want to lose any that he's got. And honestly we have like 14 nhl caliber forwards + Suzuki and Poehling.. if there's a surplus to trade, its up front. 

10 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah, i think Weber could fetch a decent return (Alzner is negative value of course) but I dont see Philly paying anywhere near that much.  They seem to believe they're solid on D - so they are much more likely to want a forward in return for Ghost. 

I think if MB was to move Weber (and the chances of that, imho are like 0.2%) then the best choice is a western conference team like Edmonton. I really think its unlikely we move any of our top 6 dmen to be honest. I think MB wants to add but doesnt want to lose any that he's got. And honestly we have like 14 nhl caliber forwards + Suzuki and Poehling.. if there's a surplus to trade, its up front. 

TBH, Drouin and Shaw for Ghost and 11 is a win for both teams

10 hours ago, maas_art said:

Yeah probably I forgot they just got Niskinen

2 hours ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

TBH, Drouin and Shaw for Ghost and 11 is a win for both teams

Ghost isn't even a #1 on Philly , Drouin and Shaw for a 3-4 pairing defenseman? IMO that's an over payment yes #11 draft would be nice , but probably not an immediate help. Shaw or Druoin for Ghost maybe or Shaw or Drouin + a prospect or our #15.

http://www.spectorshockey.net/2019/06/nhl-rumor-mill-june-18-2019/

LE JOURNAL DE MONTREAL: Yvon Pedneault observed there’s speculation linking the Montreal Canadiens to New York Islanders defenseman Nick Leddy. The 28-year-old has three years remaining on his contract with an annual cap hit of $5.5 million. He also lacks no-trade protection and has dropped out of the Isles’ top-two defense pairings. Appearing on TVA Sports, Pedneault speculates the Isles could shop Leddy for a forward. He suggests it would cost the Canadiens Andrew Shaw and a second-round draft pick.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: With over $22 million in projected cap space, the Islanders are expected to be busy in this summer’s trade and free-agent markets. If they bring in a blueliner they could put Leddy on the trade block. The Canadiens are in dire need of a top-four left-side defenseman and Leddy could interest them. 

I personally think MTL could land Leddy for a pack age of: Byron, Hudon, Peca and Reilly.

10 minutes ago, East_Coast_Juggalo_13 said:

http://www.spectorshockey.net/2019/06/nhl-rumor-mill-june-18-2019/

LE JOURNAL DE MONTREAL: Yvon Pedneault observed there’s speculation linking the Montreal Canadiens to New York Islanders defenseman Nick Leddy. The 28-year-old has three years remaining on his contract with an annual cap hit of $5.5 million. He also lacks no-trade protection and has dropped out of the Isles’ top-two defense pairings. Appearing on TVA Sports, Pedneault speculates the Isles could shop Leddy for a forward. He suggests it would cost the Canadiens Andrew Shaw and a second-round draft pick.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: With over $22 million in projected cap space, the Islanders are expected to be busy in this summer’s trade and free-agent markets. If they bring in a blueliner they could put Leddy on the trade block. The Canadiens are in dire need of a top-four left-side defenseman and Leddy could interest them. 

I personally think MTL could land Leddy for a pack age of: Byron, Hudon, Peca and Reilly.

Yeah im not giving up Shaw for Leddy. Or Byron. They can have lehkonen and a pick

With some outlets saying the upper limit of the salary cap might be closer to $82 million (possibly under $82 million), is it possible some general managers might feel a little more incentive to use an offer sheet? Tampa has a little work to do leading into the season. Will someone make their life more difficult by targeting Brayden Point?

5 hours ago, habsisme said:

Yeah im not giving up Shaw for Leddy. Or Byron. They can have lehkonen and a pick

I could see Lehkonen for Leddy and I think that would be a much better trade than for Ghost. I think Leddy is a better over defensemen than Ghost.

NHL insider Darren Dreger reports that the Rangers are looking to move Chris Kreider, Vladislav Namestnikov, Pavel Buchnevich and Jimmy Vesey. 

Buchnevich is currently a restricted free agent while Kreider, Namestnikov and Vesey all have next year left on their deals before becoming UFA's in the summer of 2020. 

Pierre LeBrun adds that Kreider has submitted his 11 team no trade list for this summer while the Rangers have had trade discussions with the Rangers about Vesey. 

HUH??? :P

According to Bob McKenzie and Darren Dreger the NHL salary cap isn't expected to hit the $83million mark everybody had speculated. 

McKenzie reports the cap won't even hit $82million.

Some teams are up tight against the salary cap including the Toronto Maple Leafs, Vegas Golden Knights, Tampa Bay Lightning and the Jets just to name a few. 

8 hours ago, habsisme said:

Did you ever hear of a guy called Bob Gainey?  He only hit 20 goals 4 times in his NHL carreer during a 16 year carreer. He only hit 40 points 3 times in a 16 year carreer. Yet there were people out there who thought he was the best player in the world during a period when scoring was up in the NHL and you had some players consistenty scoring over a 100 points a season.  Why because paid attention to every detail of his game. Lekonen is of a similiar mode. He does everything really well.

Byron is 30, Shaw is 28 in July, Lekonen is 24 in July. I would not trade Lekonen for Shaw and Byron. 

Byron, Shaw or Drouin are trade pieces up front, they each have some value on the Market

Lekonen fits in perfectly with the young core of KK, Susuki, Poeling, Domi. Julsen, Mete, Brooks.

5 minutes ago, caperns61 said:

Did you ever hear of a guy called Bob Gainey?  He only hit 20 goals 4 times in his NHL carreer during a 16 year carreer. He only hit 40 points 3 times in a 16 year carreer. Yet there were people out there who thought he was the best player in the world during a period when scoring was up in the NHL and you had some players consistenty scoring over a 100 points a season.  Why because paid attention to every detail of his game. Lekonen is of a similiar mode. He does everything really well.

Byron is 30, Shaw is 28 in July, Lekonen is 24 in July. I would not trade Lekonen for Shaw and Byron. 

Byron, Shaw or Drouin are trade pieces up front, they each have some value on the Market

Lekonen fits in perfectly with the young core of KK, Susuki, Poeling, Domi. Julsen, Mete, Brooks.

Agreed. Lehkonen has more value than Shaw or Byron.

1. Because of age

2. He's pretty highly regarded around the league and apparently there were multiple inquiries about him last year and MB told them to buzz off.

3. Shaw and Byron both have concerning injury histories. Shaw could be one hit away from his career being over. Good time to sell high on him.

Danslescoulisses reporting that Marner has told Leafs he won't re-sign until after June 26th, when he's had the chance to hear offers from other teams.

Bob McKenzie reporting that Marner camp expects to get an offer of at least 11M and maybe up to 12.5M. Rumors that the Isles or Rangers might be two teams lining up to see what it will take.

Various sources reporting that Marner feels he is worth way more than Nylander's 7M and in the same ballpark as Tavares (11M) and Matthews (11.6M).

Looks like there isn't going to be much wiggle room for Toronto, unless they want to end up in a long holdout like they had with Nylander.