Jump to content
The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Rumours


kinot-2
 Share

Recommended Posts

Since I don't see the rumours thread here anymore, I thought I would start this again, because there will be some. 

Elliotte Friedman of Sportsnet mentioned some extremely interesting information over the last few days as the insider believes Bergevin will try to land Duchene through free agency this summer. 

Friedman said the Canadiens were in the running for Duchene at the deadline and believes Montreal will be in the running for Duchene on July 1st.

Matt Duchene had a great season with 70 points in 73 games and a was a key part of Columbus' great run against the Tampa Bay Lightning in the first round.

The 28-year-old forward will cash in big time on a long term deal and Bergevin has plenty of salary cap room to play with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

A few more recent notes:

- While some think Duchene is already set on playing in Nashville, Darren Dreger reports that Duchene wasn't wasting anyone's time by visiting the Habs and that he hasn't ruled out coming to Montreal.

- Dennis Bernstein of The Fourth Period reporting that the Habs were among at least 10-12 teams that have contacted Mitch Marner. Doesn't mean they have any interest in actually giving him an offer, but good to know MB is at least gathering information to know what the market is going to be like to sign a coveted RFA. It means he hasn't ruled it out completely.

- Larry Brooks of the NY Post says both Panarin and Bobrovsky are in New York right now, with Panarin meeting with both the Isles and Rangers. The feeling is that Panarin is down to signing with either one of the NY teams or the Panthers. Bobrovsky is heavily rumored to be going to Florida, especially with Luongo retiring, but let's keep in mind the Isles still haven't re-signed Lehner, which makes you wonder if Lou Lamoriello is fishing his nose around Bobrovsky as well to see about an upgrade in goal. If the Isles manage to sing Panarin and Bobrovsky, then you'd have to figure Lee is a good bet to be going elsewhere.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Dennis Bernstein of The Fourth Period reports on Thursday that the Canadiens held discussions with Marner and his camp. 

There's two ways the Canadiens' could acquire Marner, either through an offer sheet where they'd have to give up four first round picks, or through trade where they'd have to give up some pieces. 

And:

The Montreal Canadiens and general manager Marc Bergevin had a very important meeting on Wednesday. 

Pending free agent forward Matt Duchene of the Columbus Blue Jackets was in Montreal to discuss a possible contract with the Canadiens'. 

The Canadiens' appear to be one of the front runners to land Duchene along with the Nashville Predators who he'll be meeting on Thursday. 

Duchene has openly stated that his family grew up Habs' fans and he's worn #9 throughout his career as a tribute to The Rocket. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

A few more recent notes:

- While some think Duchene is already set on playing in Nashville, Darren Dreger reports that Duchene wasn't wasting anyone's time by visiting the Habs and that he hasn't ruled out coming to Montreal.

- Dennis Bernstein of The Fourth Period reporting that the Habs were among at least 10-12 teams that have contacted Mitch Marner. Doesn't mean they have any interest in actually giving him an offer, but good to know MB is at least gathering information to know what the market is going to be like to sign a coveted RFA. It means he hasn't ruled it out completely.

- Larry Brooks of the NY Post says both Panarin and Bobrovsky are in New York right now, with Panarin meeting with both the Isles and Rangers. The feeling is that Panarin is down to signing with either one of the NY teams or the Panthers. Bobrovsky is heavily rumored to be going to Florida, especially with Luongo retiring, but let's keep in mind the Isles still haven't re-signed Lehner, which makes you wonder if Lou Lamoriello is fishing his nose around Bobrovsky as well to see about an upgrade in goal. If the Isles manage to sing Panarin and Bobrovsky, then you'd have to figure Lee is a good bet to be going elsewhere.

My stomach hurts just think of signing Duch... PLEASE NO

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, HARBORSPORT said:

no, I have assigned Drouin to zamboni duty for the upcoming season..................

That’s a little harsh.  I think Marc Bergevin has done an excellent job playing the patience game this off season.  I think Drouin is still part of the solution in MTL.  Maybe the addition of Duchene helps Drouin.  The addition of CC to your prospect pool makes pieces like Shaw and Byron expendable, both now and eventually.  By the time CC becomes a Hab will most likely by 21-22.  Your line combos by then are:

Poehling, Kotkaniemi, Caufield 

Drouin, Domi, Suzuki

Tatar, Danault, Gallagher

Lehkon, Ikonen, Armia

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, ramcharger440 said:

LOL! thats a bit strong! he will be too expensive but he is a very good hockey player. i don't think he is what we need but you never know how things may shake out.

Agreed.  Any team that adds Duchene will be better in the short term but when you look at our development camp, you really wonder if there's any room for more forwards.

Poehling, Suzuki, Caufield all apparently really impressing today (not to mention guys like Evans) and we already have so many young forwards in JK, Drouin, Domi - and guys with plenty of juice left in the tank like Gallagher, Tatar, Danault etc. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Agreed.  Any team that adds Duchene will be better in the short term but when you look at our development camp, you really wonder if there's any room for more forwards.

Poehling, Suzuki, Caufield all apparently really impressing today (not to mention guys like Evans) and we already have so many young forwards in JK, Drouin, Domi - and guys with plenty of juice left in the tank like Gallagher, Tatar, Danault etc. 

And the cap hit! He's a second line center with a poor attitude who only shows up when its good for him. If it was 5 million i would do it, but it will 8 to 10 million

I like this team. Build from within. I'm not looking for a cup this year, just make the playoffs and win a round

Link to comment
Share on other sites

What about getting Gustoffso from the Hawks? LHD 27years old plays over 22 minutes a night 4th on their depth chart behid Keith, Maata and DeHaan had 60 points in 72 games skates well and great puck mover and signed to a 1.2 mil cap hit through next season. Wonder if he could be had for cheap

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

What about getting Gustoffso from the Hawks? LHD 27years old plays over 22 minutes a night 4th on their depth chart behid Keith, Maata and DeHaan had 60 points in 72 games skates well and great puck mover and signed to a 1.2 mil cap hit through next season. Wonder if he could be had for cheap

Shaw for Gustafson I could see.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, campabee82 said:

What about getting Gustoffso from the Hawks? LHD 27years old plays over 22 minutes a night 4th on their depth chart behid Keith, Maata and DeHaan had 60 points in 72 games skates well and great puck mover and signed to a 1.2 mil cap hit through next season. Wonder if he could be had for cheap

Hrm. I cant see Chicago looking at him as that far down their depth chart. I would imagine they consider him - skill + age - to be their most important core dman. 

Id certainly gladly take him off their hands but I think it would take a lot to get him.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

58 minutes ago, maas_art said:

Hrm. I cant see Chicago looking at him as that far down their depth chart. I would imagine they consider him - skill + age - to be their most important core dman. 

Id certainly gladly take him off their hands but I think it would take a lot to get him.

Normally I would agree with this but he is a UFA at the end of the year and is expected to get a significant increase and we know Kieth has said he isn't waiving his NMC and they didn't just get Maata and De Haan to trade so he is the odd man out. Plus Seabrooke isn't going anywhere either are Murray, Jokaharu or Boqvist on the right the Hawks simply have too many D 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, maas_art said:

Agreed.  Any team that adds Duchene will be better in the short term but when you look at our development camp, you really wonder if there's any room for more forwards.

Poehling, Suzuki, Caufield all apparently really impressing today (not to mention guys like Evans) and we already have so many young forwards in JK, Drouin, Domi - and guys with plenty of juice left in the tank like Gallagher, Tatar, Danault etc. 

Heard that Evans and Ylonen have also been quite impressive, in addition to the trio you mentioned. Some of the media think Poehling is a lock to make the Habs by how far ahead of the "kids" he is, and some also think Caufield is going to push for a roster spot this year, primarily because he fills a need (sharp shooter, PP help, shootout prowess). Not sure there's a roster spot for him, like you alluded to, unless there's a trade to free up a space.

The more we hear about Duchene, the more it seems like it's a bad move to sign him. Not because he wouldn't help, but with the lower rise in cap than was projected and the Hayes contract bumping the market, it's going to be hard to squeeze Duchene in. The bigger need seems to be LHD, and as I've said before, the only way I can see signing Duchene working is if it means we're dealing Drouin and his 5.5M cap hit for LHD help.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Eric Engels reporting the Habs met with Keith Kincaid today.

If there's one guy we don't want, it's Kincaid. Was probably up there with Niemi last year for worst goalie in the league.

Agreed but MB know talent when he sees it just look at Alzner LMAO wish Timmons was in charge he knows what he is doing and thrives at spotting young talent 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Eric Engels reporting the Habs met with Keith Kincaid today.

If there's one guy we don't want, it's Kincaid. Was probably up there with Niemi last year for worst goalie in the league.

 

36 minutes ago, campabee82 said:

Agreed but MB know talent when he sees it just look at Alzner LMAO wish Timmons was in charge he knows what he is doing and thrives at spotting young talent 

I think with goalies they defer to Waite - and in fairness, Waite brought Neimi back from the dead.. but last year his time was up and he turned into the proverbial pumpkin. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, maas_art said:

 

I think with goalies they defer to Waite - and in fairness, Waite brought Neimi back from the dead.. but last year his time was up and he turned into the proverbial pumpkin. 

I personally think Lindgren is better than KIncaid. I'd be good with McElhinney or Mrazek or Talbot in that order (primarily because of cost), but Kincaid is a huge no for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Chris Johnston of Sportsnet reporting that he believes the Habs offer to Duchene will be for more money than the Preds' offer. Although it would have to be given the differences in taxes...

WHY!? He's a second line selfish player. Leaf are in cap trouble because of Tavares, Matthews, not Duchene! So who are losing in a couple of years? Cause Gallager is not taking 7 million if Duch is making 9! What will Domi be worth when he outplay Duchene? 

This is crazy, this is a disaster imo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, habsisme said:

WHY!? He's a second line selfish player. Leaf are in cap trouble because of Tavares, Matthews, not Duchene! So who are losing in a couple of years? Cause Gallager is not taking 7 million if Duch is making 9! What will Domi be worth when he outplay Duchene? 

This is crazy, this is a disaster imo

I don't mind the idea of signing Duchene I get the arguments against it but the same can be said about Drouin poor defensively only plays for himself but some believe his positives out weigh his negatives as far as Gallagher and Domi and others whether we get Duchene or not they are still going to want increases at market value and we are still going to have to move out people to resign others as long as Domi, KK, Price, Weber, Suzuki, Poeling, Caufield and Gallagher remain the key pieces and of course Duchene if he comes here who really cares who moves out? Weber is likely to retire in the next 3-5 years as is Price we have boatloads of prospects coming through to replace the fringe players so I say take as many shots at the cup as you can and the money is the easy part to deal with.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, habsisme said:

WHY!? He's a second line selfish player. Leaf are in cap trouble because of Tavares, Matthews, not Duchene! So who are losing in a couple of years? Cause Gallager is not taking 7 million if Duch is making 9! What will Domi be worth when he outplay Duchene? 

This is crazy, this is a disaster imo

I also think that if we get Duchene and Poeling, Suzuki and Caufield all push for roster spots we open up way more trade options for a LHD plus you could also unload Alzner's contract by adding him to a deal where you sell say Shaw or Drouin lower than fair value as long as the receiving team takes Alzner as well

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I read somewhere that Duchene was also a Montreal fan growing up.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if, for every time we built up a free agent signing that didn't come here, we finally get the one we don't really want? I really, really don't want to add Duchene on some stupid seven year long contract. I'm pretty sure the taxes between playing in Montreal and Nashville are significant as well, meaning we'd probably have to offer something that would really ding our salary cap space. I would guesstimate more than $8.5 million for sure. Maybe more than $9.5 million.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, BigTed3 said:

Chris Johnston of Sportsnet reporting that he believes the Habs offer to Duchene will be for more money than the Preds' offer. Although it would have to be given the differences in taxes...

And this is how you screw up in the off season.    Our burning need is not a C ... we've addressed that through Domi, Danault and our prospect pool (JK, Poehling, Suzuki). 

Our burning need is not a forward either.

We need a LD ... and signing Duchene means we'll be giving up prospects to get a LD most likely, which will once again set us back years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, HabsAlways said:

And this is how you screw up in the off season.    Our burning need is not a C ... we've addressed that through Domi, Danault and our prospect pool (JK, Poehling, Suzuki). 

Our burning need is not a forward either.

We need a LD ... and signing Duchene means we'll be giving up prospects to get a LD most likely, which will once again set us back years.

I just feel like Bergevin isn't going to be able to resolve the LD problem this season. It'll be Weber, Petry, Kulak, Reilly, Juulsen, Folin, and Mete. And we'll have to make do with that. Unfortunate.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • H_T_L locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...