The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

Bob McKenzie says Zuccarello likely to Minnesota, Bobrovsky to Florida, Isles leaders for Panarin and may also sign Varlamov...

The less credible Georges Laraque says Duchene to Nashville, Pavelski to Dallas, and Habs preparing an offer sheet for an RFA.

Other sources peg Gardiner as the guy Bergevin is clearing space to sign to a big deal, which would honestly be a huge disappointment IMO...

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Bob McKenzie says Zuccarello likely to Minnesota, Bobrovsky to Florida, Isles leaders for Panarin and may also sign Varlamov...

The less credible Georges Laraque says Duchene to Nashville, Pavelski to Dallas, and Habs preparing an offer sheet for an RFA.

Other sources peg Gardiner as the guy Bergevin is clearing space to sign to a big deal, which would honestly be a huge disappointment IMO...

Gardiner would be a huge disappointment. I don't want us to be the team that overpays for him. Could be karma coming back to bite us for Komy. in T.O.

4 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I think all the UFAs are too expensive but at least Gardiner fill a hole. But I honestly think it has to be Duch, because Gardiner is getting around 7-8 a year so wouldn't have been a big need to shed salary

Just now, habsisme said:

I think all the UFAs are too expensive but at least Gardiner fill a hole. But I honestly think it has to be Duch, because Gardiner is getting around 7-8 a year so wouldn't have been a big need to shed salary

Or move forwards. 

1 minute ago, habsisme said:

Gardiner may be stronger offensively then Mete but his defence makes the comparison a wash IMO. No way do I want to be saddled with him for 5 to 7 years at an inflated salary.

Gardiner is a disappointment for me because he's going to be overpaid by quite a margin and because I think there are better options available via trade... sure you give up assets to get them, but you also pay less against the cap, and the prices for D men haven't been bad. A lot of "a 2nd and a 3rd" type packages, and we have a ton of picks to give up now. The other thing is if you sign Gardiner, you still have a hole you've created up front by ditching Shaw. IMO, makes more sense if you dumped Shaw to go after another forward to replace him, unless they really believe a Suzuki or someone else is going to be ready to play top 9.

If the Habs do manage to get a Lee or Duchene, then it's like you traded Shaw and say 4-6M in cap space for a 2nd and a 3rd and Duchene/Lee. Given the room we had, it seems like a good deal to have made. Theoretically, I wonder if we could trade one of our extra picks along with Alzner for another bad asset that's not quite as bad... or could we at least send Weise and a 4th rounder to someone like Arizona, for example, to clear some more space to make up for signing a bigger name?

So I'm just looking at our cap.

Next year its Domi, but we will free up 2.3 million from Weise contract and Mason buyout penalty. That won't be enough but with a raise in a cap, we should be able to re-sign. 

The following year, we have Gallagher, Tatar, JK, Poehling, Danault and Petry. If we sign long term deal, its going to cause a big problem. I would be fine would letting Tatar and Danault walk, maybe Petry too cause our young guys should be taking their spot (and hopefully be better). So if Gally keep scoring 30 goals, he basically takes up the cap hit we get letting Tatar walk. The ~9 million from losing Danault and Petry goes to to the kids if they pan out. 

It could work...

unless they are true superstars, and won't accept a 2 year bridge. In which case, we'd have to let Gallagher walk too

Edited by habsisme
3 minutes ago, habsisme said:

So I'm just looking at our cap.

Next year its Domi, but we will free up 2.3 million from Weise contract and Mason buyout penalty. That won't be enough but with a raise in a cap, we should be able to re-sign. 

The following year, we have Gallagher, Tatar, JK, Poehling, Danault and Petry. If we sign long term deal, its going to cause a big problem. I would be fine would letting Tatar and Danault walk, maybe Petry too cause our young guys should be taking their spot (and hopefully be better). So if Gally keep scoring 30 goals, he basically takes up the cap hit we get letting Tatar walk. The ~9 million from losing Danault and Petry goes to to the kids if they pan out. 

It could work...

I've outlined this in a post a day or two ago, but there will be 2.35M from Weise and 1.36M from Mason, so over 3.7M available, plus the cap is expected to rise about 1.5M again. The cap is rumored to shoot up quite a bit more in two years with a new tv deal, and there's also the expansion draft to think about...

IMO, barring changes beforehand, I'm guessing we're moving on from Tatar in two years. I would wonder about trading Petry beforehand as well. We'll be able to protect three D men, but you would wonder if Juulsen, Mete, Fleury, and even Weber would come in ahead of impending-UFA Petry, not to mention whoever we sign/trade for in between... I think those two guys would be prime targets to be moved before or simply not re-signed or exposed in the ED... so we'd really be talking about re-signing Gallagher and maybe Danault (who might price himself out of our range and fall behind the likes of Domi, JK, Poehling, and possibly Suzuki on the depth chart). JK and Poehling likely get bridged at that point but who knows... in any case, I don't think cap space will be the big concern in two years. Next year, maybe it's a small issue, but I still think it won't be a huge problem if we're only signing one big name this season.

Florida rumored to be signing Bobrovsky for about 10M AAV and Brett Connolly for 4 years, 3.5M AAV, according to Andy Strickland and others... for those saying teams don't discuss numbers, it happens.

Strickland also reporting that Lehner turned down a 2-year deal for 5M AAV from the Isles because he wants longer term. Would be consistent with Isles moving on from him and targeting Varlamov instead, along with Panarin (who has the same agent).

Carolina rumored to be doubling down on Mrazek and checking in on Lehner with the above turn of events. One of the few teams left who would still need a starter.

2 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

I've outlined this in a post a day or two ago, but there will be 2.35M from Weise and 1.36M from Mason, so over 3.7M available, plus the cap is expected to rise about 1.5M again. The cap is rumored to shoot up quite a bit more in two years with a new tv deal, and there's also the expansion draft to think about...

IMO, barring changes beforehand, I'm guessing we're moving on from Tatar in two years. I would wonder about trading Petry beforehand as well. We'll be able to protect three D men, but you would wonder if Juulsen, Mete, Fleury, and even Weber would come in ahead of impending-UFA Petry, not to mention whoever we sign/trade for in between... I think those two guys would be prime targets to be moved before or simply not re-signed or exposed in the ED... so we'd really be talking about re-signing Gallagher and maybe Danault (who might price himself out of our range and fall behind the likes of Domi, JK, Poehling, and possibly Suzuki on the depth chart). JK and Poehling likely get bridged at that point but who knows... in any case, I don't think cap space will be the big concern in two years. Next year, maybe it's a small issue, but I still think it won't be a huge problem if we're only signing one big name this season.

you can't count the full 2.35 million. My rule is the first million doesn't count (not exactly true but close enough). You always have to replace the player if your counting his full contract and not the amount you pay when you bury him in minors. 

Yeah I think it can work, just really leaves us with some decisions in 2 year but IF its hard its because our young guys are stars and then we can afford to lose a Gallagher 

Dave Pagnotta reporting Pavelski will sign 3 years, 7M AAV with Dallas tomorrow. Makes sense, that's where I had him going too... not sure TB was ever going to have the cap space to make that happen despite the rumors.

Zuccarello heavily rumored to be going to Minny... Michael Russo, who covers the Wild, says Wild out on Jake Gardiner and that Habs are the team to watch in that dossier. The sum of rumors right now suggests to me Gardiner and not Duchene is the guy MB might be closest to landing. I wonder if he can also grab Lee or Dzingel or someone else up front too if he's doing that though...

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Zuccarello heavily rumored to be going to Minny... Michael Russo, who covers the Wild, says Wild out on Jake Gardiner and that Habs are the team to watch in that dossier. The sum of rumors right now suggests to me Gardiner and not Duchene is the guy MB might be closest to landing. I wonder if he can also grab Lee or Dzingel or someone else up front too if he's doing that though...

hmm it feel like he's cleared a lot of cap space for just Gardiner. I would be okay with Gardiner (he's defensive liability but he gives us exactly what we need). 

I was thinking Gardiner would go for 7x7 (too much already). I hope to god its not more

3 minutes ago, habsisme said:

hmm it feel like he's cleared a lot of cap space for just Gardiner. I would be okay with Gardiner (he's defensive liability but he gives us exactly what we need). 

I was thinking Gardiner would go for 7x7 (too much already). I hope to god its not more

Some have Myers going to Vancouver for 7 years and about 7M AAV. Gardiner is rumored to be running in the 7-8M range... too much if you ask me. I'd rather give up a 1st in a deal to get Ghost or a 2nd and 3rd to get Leddy, or something like that.

So where is MB going now? If it's Anders Lee (Mtl and Nas were both rumored to be in for whichever team lost out on Duchene)... then I'm good with that, so long as he clocks in under what Duchene takes. And I'd love for there to still be a trade for a LHD. If it's Gardiner alone, I'm disappointed. If it's an RFA offer sheet, then it's exciting (as long as it's not 4 first rounders), but I would be extremely surprised if a team lets a star walk for less than 4 firsts, so MB had better have a Plan B if that's all he's got.

Just now, BigTed3 said:

So where is MB going now? If it's Anders Lee (Mtl and Nas were both rumored to be in for whichever team lost out on Duchene)... then I'm good with that, so long as he clocks in under what Duchene takes. And I'd love for there to still be a trade for a LHD. If it's Gardiner alone, I'm disappointed. If it's an RFA offer sheet, then it's exciting (as long as it's not 4 first rounders), but I would be extremely surprised if a team lets a star walk for less than 4 firsts, so MB had better have a Plan B if that's all he's got.

3 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Chris Johnston and Dave Pagnotta both saying Duchene will sign with Preds, expected to clock in lower than thought at about 8M AAV. I would have done that easily.

8 million isn't bad given Hayes

It's gotta be Gardiner then, but we didn't HAVE to trade Shaw

If it was a trade it would have happened by now. Signing bonuses tomorrow but if anything, Habs would take that on

I would LOVE Aho, I think he's going to be an ELITE player