The Official Site of the Montréal Canadiens
Canadiens de Montreal

From Eklund:

" I would put the chances of the Flyers NOT moving Ghost at about 30%...Three other teams are VERY much interested and the return could be tempting...Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto."

And:

"On Jake Gardiner...

The Canadiens and Oilers have interest, but I am also hearing a return to Toronto could happen if Zaitsev is moved and they can't land help from elsewhere."

From the Hockey Writers:

"The Flyers are reported to have interest in Canadiens wingers Andrew Shaw and Paul Byron. As much as Canadiens fans would love for Bergevin to package both players to acquire Gostisbehere, it would cost a lot more. To make this deal, the team would probably need to offer either Shaw or Byron (or both), the 15th overall pick, and a young defense prospect like Noah Juulsen."

On Cam Fowler:

Bergevin has been interested in the Ducks’ 27-year-old, 6-foot-2 blueliner for several seasons now, and with the Canadiens needing a left shot more than ever, the interest hasn’t gone away. Anaheim struggled last season, finishing 24th in the standings, and are looking to make changes to their roster. They have reportedly been calling teams about veteran winger Corey Perry. The 34-year-old was injured for most of this season and carries a cap hit of $8.625 million with two years left on his deal.

Similar to what I stated in a previous article (about the Canadiens taking on other teams’ bad contracts for additional assets), perhaps taking on Perry’s contract would make the price for acquiring Fowler less costly. Still, I think the Canadiens would need to cut ties with their 15th overall pick and one young roster player if they are interested in Fowler. I also think both Fowler and Perry are the type of players Bergevin admires (size, physicality and character).

If Bergevin decides to go after a player of Trouba, Gostisbehere, or Fowler’s caliber, fans would likely have to wait until the second round of the draft to hear the Canadiens select a player.

7 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

"The Flyers are reported to have interest in Canadiens wingers Andrew Shaw and Paul Byron. As much as Canadiens fans would love for Bergevin to package both players to acquire Gostisbehere, it would cost a lot more. To make this deal, the team would probably need to offer either Shaw or Byron (or both), the 15th overall pick, and a young defense prospect like Noah Juulsen."

This would be a huge over payment!

McKenzie reporting that Flyers and Kevin Hayes are closing in on a 6-7 year contract with an AAV of about 7M. Holy overpayment, Batman. He's a 3C, maybe a poor man's 2C in a pinch, but can you imagine if we gave Danault 7M a year? Part of me hopes they do it, cause that deal will hurt them, although it sets a bad precedent for the market.

Also reports Vegas is trying to trade David Clarkson and his 5M+ cap hit in order to clear space. He would go on LTIR once the season starts, so it would only cost us cap space in the off-season. Funnily enough, he has a limited NTC and chances are high he would have us on that though, as he still pays taxes on his income and his taxes would go up if he were getting paid in Quebec. If he didn't veto us, however, you could maybe ask LV to give up an asset like Theodore in exchange for taking Clarkson on. That would be it, we wouldn't have any more cap space left for the summer, but that could be a move that helps our D problem.

1 hour ago, BigTed3 said:

Also reports Vegas is trying to trade David Clarkson and his 5M+ cap hit in order to clear space. He would go on LTIR once the season starts, so it would only cost us cap space in the off-season. Funnily enough, he has a limited NTC and chances are high he would have us on that though, as he still pays taxes on his income and his taxes would go up if he were getting paid in Quebec. If he didn't veto us, however, you could maybe ask LV to give up an asset like Theodore in exchange for taking Clarkson on. That would be it, we wouldn't have any more cap space left for the summer, but that could be a move that helps our D problem.

I am wondering if MB has blindly lucked into a fix for the LHD hole already. Like everyone else I know this is our biggest weakness and needs to be filled if we want a legitimate shot at contending. A couple of weeks ago MB signed Otto Leskinen out of the Finnish elite league. Where he finished 3rd in league scoring among Dmen. He is only 5'11" 185 lbs but is a smooth skater with great puck moving skills. He is expected to compete for an NHL spot right out of camp and has the offensive skill to be a top pairing LHD but is light in upper body strength and defensive positioning but playing beside Weber or Petry would help that part of his development plus he is just 22. I know it's it's a long shot for the kid to make the team out of camp and be a top pairing dman but it might be worth the risk to stand pat and not trade or sign a FA dman and just focus on maybe bringing in that top 6 scoring winger instead. Someone like Kyle Conner or Kapanen or William Karlsson who can put the puck in the net regularly. 

4 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

From the Hockey Writers:

On Cam Fowler:

Bergevin has been interested in the Ducks’ 27-year-old, 6-foot-2 blueliner for several seasons now, and with the Canadiens needing a left shot more than ever, the interest hasn’t gone away. Anaheim struggled last season, finishing 24th in the standings, and are looking to make changes to their roster. They have reportedly been calling teams about veteran winger Corey Perry. The 34-year-old was injured for most of this season and carries a cap hit of $8.625 million with two years left on his deal.

Similar to what I stated in a previous article (about the Canadiens taking on other teams’ bad contracts for additional assets), perhaps taking on Perry’s contract would make the price for acquiring Fowler less costly. Still, I think the Canadiens would need to cut ties with their 15th overall pick and one young roster player if they are interested in Fowler. I also think both Fowler and Perry are the type of players Bergevin admires (size, physicality and character).

If Bergevin decides to go after a player of Trouba, Gostisbehere, or Fowler’s caliber, fans would likely have to wait until the second round of the draft to hear the Canadiens select a player.

1. Yeah, roster player + pick + prospect is probably going to be what it takes. Not sure I'm willing to do that, not if our 1st rounder is involved and certainly not for two roster players.

2. Perry + Fowler = +15M in Cap space. The Ducks would definitely have to at least take Alzner back and even then we'd still add about 10.5M, which really complicates signing Domi, Juulsen, and Mete next summer.

Trade rumors surrounding Rasmus Ristolainen persist
Pro Hockey Rumors | Jun 18

For some reason, Rasmus Ristolainen can’t seem to escape trade rumors. Seemingly every summer there is some sort of report that has his name in trade talks, and this year has been no different. Today, Ristolainen popped up in reports from two different reporters on opposite sides of the continent. First, Rick Dhaliwal of Sportsnet tweeted that the Vancouver Canucks are speaking with the Buffalo Sabres about a defenseman, and suggested that it was either Ristolainen or Bogosian. Then, Pierre LeBrun of The Athletic (subscription required)wrote that not only have the the Tampa Bay Lightning shown interest in the Buffalo defender once again this offseason, but they are “far from the only team.”

While LeBrun notes that the Sabres “aren’t going to deal [Ristolainen] unless the package is absolutely right” it is interesting that his name is out there at all. The 24-year old has three years left on a contract that carries a $5.4MM cap hit, and has carried a heavy load for the Sabres over the last few seasons. 

https://www.prosportsdaily.com/articles/trade-rumors-surrounding-rasmus-ristolainen-persist-573792.html

He is a young right-hander so I'm not sure he would be worth a look for the Habs... still an interesting possibility perhaps

17 hours ago, caperns61 said:

Did you ever hear of a guy called Bob Gainey?  He only hit 20 goals 4 times in his NHL carreer during a 16 year carreer. He only hit 40 points 3 times in a 16 year carreer. Yet there were people out there who thought he was the best player in the world during a period when scoring was up in the NHL and you had some players consistenty scoring over a 100 points a season.  Why because paid attention to every detail of his game. Lekonen is of a similiar mode. He does everything really well.

Byron is 30, Shaw is 28 in July, Lekonen is 24 in July. I would not trade Lekonen for Shaw and Byron. 

Byron, Shaw or Drouin are trade pieces up front, they each have some value on the Market

Lekonen fits in perfectly with the young core of KK, Susuki, Poeling, Domi. Julsen, Mete, Brooks.

Yup and I'd include Armia in the same mold as Lehkonen.    Good IQ, strong on the puck, big frame, does little things well ... him and Lehknonen could be a checking line with Poehling in my opinion.

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Puljujarvi has submitted a trade request from Edmonton, citing the need for a “fresh new start.”

The new Oilers brass led by Ken Holland will try to accommodate his demand, says Dreger, but he does note that Edmonton will be patient to ensure it receives equitable return for the once prized prospect.

His development stunted in three years split between Edmonton and Bakersfield, Puljujarvi has been limited to 17 goals and 37 points in 137 NHL games since his debut in 2016.

TSN’s Ryan Rishaug suggests that Holland could pull the trigger on the deal if it nets the Oilers a third-line winger, which would represent a significant organizational failure given the spot Puljujarvi was originally drafted.

It should be noted that Puljujarvi’s third season was shut down in early March to undergo double hip surgery.

Edited by kinot-2
27 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

According to TSN’s Darren Dreger, Puljujarvi has submitted a trade request from Edmonton, citing the need for a “fresh new start.”

The new Oilers brass led by Ken Holland will try to accommodate his demand, says Dreger, but he does note that Edmonton will be patient to ensure it receives equitable return for the once prized prospect.

His development stunted in three years split between Edmonton and Bakersfield, Puljujarvi has been limited to 17 goals and 37 points in 137 NHL games since his debut in 2016.

TSN’s Ryan Rishaug suggests that Holland could pull the trigger on the deal if it nets the Oilers a third-line winger, which would represent a significant organizational failure given the spot Puljujarvi was originally drafted.

It should be noted that Puljujarvi’s third season was shut down in early March to undergo double hip surgery.

i would make  deal for him. Its a risk/reward thing, and i think we're in the position to take the risk but after i get an LD

1 hour ago, kinot-2 said:

Last I heard they had offers for him but Edmonton wanted more than fair market value.  If the price was low enough for sure i'd bit but I think they want some quality coming back & he's still got to be considered a risk at this stage. 

31 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

FWIW: Koulious (sp?) And Barnaby on NHL radio today said they keep hearing the Habs linked to Ehlers. 

31 minutes ago, kinot-2 said:

Ehlers would be a great pick-up. I've heard that Winnipeg is looking to deal him for a right-handed D man and that they were talking to Carolina about a swap. Don Wadell has also said his primary goal other than re-signing his goalies is to find scoring help, so the fit between the two teams seems better than with ours. Do we give up Juulsen and a 1st rounder and something else? Not sure what we have that fits what they're rumored to want...

6 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Ehlers would be a great pick-up. I've heard that Winnipeg is looking to deal him for a right-handed D man and that they were talking to Carolina about a swap. Don Wadell has also said his primary goal other than re-signing his goalies is to find scoring help, so the fit between the two teams seems better than with ours. Do we give up Juulsen and a 1st rounder and something else? Not sure what we have that fits what they're rumored to want...

I would rather leave them in their mess and get Conner via trade

12 hours ago, kinot-2 said:

FWIW: Koulious (sp?) And Barnaby on NHL radio today said they keep hearing the Habs linked to Ehlers. 

Articles I read is he's more linked to Carolina and Doug Hamilton ... Jets are looking to replace Trouba on the right side.   Additionally, going for Ehlers makes no sense to me ... he's a Leftwing where we already have Tatar, Drouin, Lehkonen.    He'd be on par with Drouin/Tatar really and we don't need forwards with Poehling, Suzuki and others ready to step in.    We need a quality LD and hopefully that's where MB is focused ... unless ...

Ehlers makes sense only if one of Tatar/Drouin is being discussed for a LD ... most likely Drouin as he's young.   

1 hour ago, HabsAlways said:

Articles I read is he's more linked to Carolina and Doug Hamilton ... Jets are looking to replace Trouba on the right side.   Additionally, going for Ehlers makes no sense to me ... he's a Leftwing where we already have Tatar, Drouin, Lehkonen.    He'd be on par with Drouin/Tatar really and we don't need forwards with Poehling, Suzuki and others ready to step in.    We need a quality LD and hopefully that's where MB is focused ... unless ...

Ehlers makes sense only if one of Tatar/Drouin is being discussed for a LD ... most likely Drouin as he's young.   

I think if you have the opportunity to pick up a talent like Ehlers at a reasonable price, you do it, regardless of what your depth is like. You can always trade someone.  

31 minutes ago, maas_art said:

I think if you have the opportunity to pick up a talent like Ehlers at a reasonable price, you do it, regardless of what your depth is like. You can always trade someone.  

yeah i agree, Ehlers is too talented, you add him if you can

RDS and Dreger both reporting that the Leafs have contacted other teams to tell them players are available... they want to trade Kapanen for a D man and Kadri for another center on a lower cap hit. They've also made Conner Brown available. Definitely sounds like they're trying to clear space ASAP to be able to re-sign Marner or at least fend off hostile offers. It also makes you wonder if efforts to trade Marleau and/or Zaitsev have failed if they're moving on to trading guys they'd prefer to keep. Trouble in Leaf-land!

11 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

RDS and Dreger both reporting that the Leafs have contacted other teams to tell them players are available... they want to trade Kapanen for a D man and Kadri for another center on a lower cap hit. They've also made Conner Brown available. Definitely sounds like they're trying to clear space ASAP to be able to re-sign Marner or at least fend off hostile offers. It also makes you wonder if efforts to trade Marleau and/or Zaitsev have failed if they're moving on to trading guys they'd prefer to keep. Trouble in Leaf-land!

Too bad we couldn't really take advantage of their situation. I mean, I feel like we don't need or want any of their "cast-off" forwards. I'd love to have Marner, but obviously the mandate is to resign him so they can have THREE forwards with an AAV of $11+ million. And they have no defenders we would be interested in.

7 minutes ago, jennifer_rocket said:

the mandate is to resign him so they can have THREE forwards with an AAV of $11+ million. And they have no defenders we would be interested in.

And this is the problem. Remember when the Rumours about Tavares came up & everyone was like "nah, they dont need another centre."   And dont get me wrong, Tavares is an elite talent but when you already have Matthews, Marner and Nylander - not to mention a supporting cast of kadri, kapanen and Johnsson etc can you really afford to sign JT?

This problem was wholly expected and seen by anyone who looked at their cap with just a passing glance, and yet they did nothing.   They've made their bed... 

42 minutes ago, BigTed3 said:

Darren Dreger reported on Twitter Thursday that the Leafs have made it known they will listen to offers for Kasperi Kapanen and Nazem Kadri, while there’s a strong sense that Connor Brown could go as well.